Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The single stocking is weird, and as much as I appreciate the thighs the shorts were better than what the new outfit has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
that one long sleeve is hideous

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah my first impression was “the bad kind of asymmetrical”

But I could see it growing on me at least

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I like how they're giving her more exploratory options. Swimming, swinging and riding all look neat. I wonder if riding is just for travel or it'll also give you new harvest options.

Also you only see a little bit of Klaudia but she looks gorgeous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If theyre keeping ryza im assuming everyone from the last game will at least show up. Cant imagine a tantris situation where anyone just vanishes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I could imagine one or both of Lent and Tao being away and then making a return in Ryza 3

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wonder if they'll make an opening as good as Rainbow Summer or Cadena

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

cheetah7071 posted:

I could imagine one or both of Lent and Tao being away and then making a return in Ryza 3

klaudia is confirmed to be returned at the very least

also the underwater exploring looks way more dynamic than walking around underwater in a bubble and collecting things like in firis and L&S

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How does Ryza compare with Lydie & Suelle or Ayesha?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Is there any chance Ryza 2 won’t have that painful battle system?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

redreader posted:

How does Ryza compare with Lydie & Suelle or Ayesha?

It definitely has elements that would be familiar to people who have played those two but it mostly does its own thing. There's no time limit and the crafting system is somewhat intricate, but less intricate than it got back in the Mysterious trilogy. The story is closer to being a traditional JRPG story with a save-the-world plot but still filtered through the atelier lens of a young woman finding her place in the world--the coming of age story is really played up in this one, with 2/3 of the playable characters being stifled by some manner of overbearing parent at the beginning of the game, and growing up into independent adults by the end. It's a lot less comedic than most ateliers but is still usually light-hearted, though again with a save the world plot it does have some downer moments. The emotional impact isn't quite as strong as an Ayesha or a Totori but that's almost unfair given how good those two are at it.

The biggest departure Ryza makes from the series thus far is it abandons turn based combat for something much more similar to ATB. It's fast-paced and requires you to think on your feet and in the first few hours of the game random encounters will kick your rear end until you get used to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HellOnEarth posted:

I liked it but a ton of people complained and I wouldn't be surprised if we go back to turn-based.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HellOnEarth posted:

I really hope it does

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

If theyre keeping ryza im assuming everyone from the last game will at least show up. Cant imagine a tantris situation where anyone just vanishes

https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/1285225343247355908?s=19

No hints of Lila or Empel so far.

HellOnEarth posted:

As you can see from the pic above (it's taken from the announcement vid, btw), not a chance.

E: I just noticed the top right circle, seems this time you can arrange'em in a circle around the enemy. Wonder if there'll be formation bonuses or sth.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 20, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ATB is a blight on the entire JRPG ecosystem and one of the things I've always liked about Gust's games is that they've focused on making turn-based systems better and more engaging rather than making GBS threads out their own take on the worst idea in Squaresoft's history, so I really hope Ryza 2 goes back to turn based combat.

Meruru chat, I had a long-feeling (although probably only a month) period of nothing really happening, and then suddenly everything happened at once:
- three new areas they want me to unlock
- another personal development book
- like four recipe books
- Rorona (:whoptc:) and Astrid showed up and gave me two homunculi
- Pamela arrived
- plus an absolute shitload of assorted conversations/character development events
Last night I only played for an hour or so but in that time every single time I crafted something and half the time I moved between areas in town it triggered another conversation. I miss the Rorona Plus feature (I think it was in R+) where areas that will trigger an event if you go to them have an indicator in the fast travel menu.

So I've gone from having nothing to do to having a huge list of things to do and feeling a bit overwhelmed, especially since a bunch of it relies on recipes that I either don't have yet or haven't found the ingredients for yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now Klaudia still knows how to dress three years later, unlike Ryza who is wearing a garter belt connected to nothing

Giving her a bow instead of her just playing the flute and then ??? and then the enemy takes damage is cool, too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ToxicFrog posted:

ATB is a blight on the entire JRPG ecosystem and one of the things I've always liked about Gust's games is that they've focused on making turn-based systems better and more engaging rather than making GBS threads out their own take on the worst idea in Squaresoft's history, so I really hope Ryza 2 goes back to turn based combat.

Meruru chat, I had a long-feeling (although probably only a month) period of nothing really happening, and then suddenly everything happened at once:
- three new areas they want me to unlock
- another personal development book
- like four recipe books
- Rorona (:whoptc:) and Astrid showed up and gave me two homunculi
- Pamela arrived
- plus an absolute shitload of assorted conversations/character development events
Last night I only played for an hour or so but in that time every single time I crafted something and half the time I moved between areas in town it triggered another conversation. I miss the Rorona Plus feature (I think it was in R+) where areas that will trigger an event if you go to them have an indicator in the fast travel menu.

So I've gone from having nothing to do to having a huge list of things to do and feeling a bit overwhelmed, especially since a bunch of it relies on recipes that I either don't have yet or haven't found the ingredients for yet.

Did you just cross a year threshold? I think a lot of events have the year as a requirement so if you completed all of their other requirements they'll all appear all of a sudden

Nobody liked what happened to Rorona in Meruru. The reaction was so negative that Gust patched in a new ending where you return her to her proper age, and Lulua so thoroughly ignores it that I'm honestly not convinced it doesn't take place in an alternate universe where it never happened, because that's the only way I can imagine Rorona and Lulua having enough time to bond with each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pretty sure lulua follows the rorona ending where you fix it

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Meruru came out in 2011. Firis in 2016. Following the pattern, Gust is due to de-age a heroine when Ryza 3 comes out 2021.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Kyte posted:

https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/1285225343247355908?s=19

No hints of Lila or Empel so far.

As you can see from the pic above (it's taken from the announcement vid, btw), not a chance.

E: I just noticed the top right circle, seems this time you can arrange'em in a circle around the enemy. Wonder if there'll be formation bonuses or sth.

so kinda like Ayesha’s battle system then

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

im pretty sure lulua follows the rorona ending where you fix it

It's mostly just that there's only two years between the ending of Meruru and the beginning of Lulua. The relationship between Lulua and Rorona feels a bit rushed if it has to be crammed into two years, especially given that we know Rorona has been a bit absentee lately by the time Lulua begins

nothing about it is impossible but it just feels kinda weird

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's mostly just that there's only two years between the ending of Meruru and the beginning of Lulua. The relationship between Lulua and Rorona feels a bit rushed if it has to be crammed into two years, especially given that we know Rorona has been a bit absentee lately by the time Lulua begins

nothing about it is impossible but it just feels kinda weird

also doesn't the timeline indicate that lulua was already a teenager when rorona decided to adopt her

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PAMELA CAN JOIN MY PARTY

this is the best day

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
To take a somewhat different perspective, I think Atelier Ryza’s strengths are the exploration element of the game and the main story. The plot itself isn’t really that compelling but it’s unusually well-told for the series, which elevates it. The cast all get things to do as part of the story, too; this is in contrast to, say, Lydie & Suelle, where only three characters (our brave heroes and their dad) really have arcs which relate to the central plot. Ryza is also significantly better polished than previous games in the series I’ve played (though I didn’t play Lulua), and Ryza herself is a compelling protagonist.

The alchemy system in Ryza is fun at first, but unfortunately really engaging with it quickly becomes tedious. You have to put 20 metal bars into a sword to get one with great stats, and item duplication is expensive so this is just as inconvenient as it sounds. The battle system is honestly pretty good but it’s poorly explained, and if you hate real-time combat systems you won’t like this one either. And the game has many fewer voiced skits featuring supporting characters, which is a big loss.

There’s also a character who has experienced familial violence, and that theme is not handled well. It wasn’t enough to ruin the game for me, but it wasn’t great, either.

On the whole I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I think anyone who enjoyed other Atelier games would like Ryza too unless they really couldn’t stand real-time JRPG combat.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the responses, everyone.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I decided I need to finish the games I already have, so I went back to L&S. Is falgior (part 2) an equipment check? I don't want spoilers or a guide. I did notice: he reacts to base attacks and skill attacks with a 30 damage whack, and he can be debuffed, and bombs don't trigger that attack.

I haven't done much blacksmith stuff-grinding and I don't seem to have any recipes that give me more than about 30-40 hp with a recovery item at this point. Any advice? For now I'm doing quests and collecting more crap, I'll do some more alchemy then equipment making and try again, I suppose.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

redreader posted:

I decided I need to finish the games I already have, so I went back to L&S. Is falgior (part 2) an equipment check? I don't want spoilers or a guide. I did notice: he reacts to base attacks and skill attacks with a 30 damage whack, and he can be debuffed, and bombs don't trigger that attack.

I haven't done much blacksmith stuff-grinding and I don't seem to have any recipes that give me more than about 30-40 hp with a recovery item at this point. Any advice? For now I'm doing quests and collecting more crap, I'll do some more alchemy then equipment making and try again, I suppose.

now's the time to upgrade your weapons and armor if you haven't already

and yeah he instantly retaliates to any physical attacks, but magic attacks (bombs, firis and alt's follow up skills, extra mix) are completely safe and should be your main source of damage output—especially since he's weak to ice and air damage.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
picked up Ryza on sale, since I was lookin for a chill JRPG to play (I am theoretically still working on finishing up extremely unchill Trails in the Sky SC and this is such a nice change of pace). concerns about the character design aside (went over that in the RPG thread), I'm about 9 hours in and really enjoying this game. kinda a bit less chill than I was expecting given the battle system and the aforementioned family abuse storyline, but still mostly a pleasant thing to sleepwalk through.

I guess it's a bit late to ask, but are there any "before you start playing"-style tips for this game? I usually use Before I Play but there's no entry for Ryza, so figured I'd ask here. main thing I've gleaned so far is that if you fast travel everywhere, you miss a lot of cutscenes in town, though it seems like you can't miss quests since they're listed on the world map once it's unlocked?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 24, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

abraham linksys posted:

I guess it's a bit late to ask, but are there any "before you start playing"-style tips for this game? I usually use Before I Play but there's no entry for Ryza, so figured I'd ask here. main thing I've gleaned so far is that if you fast travel everywhere, you miss a lot of cutscenes in town, though it seems like you can't miss quests since they're listed on the world map once it's unlocked?

I think you can mostly just play the game and it'll be fine

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The only thing I can think of. In town, between ryza’s house and the dock you used to get to the mainland, there’s a collectible ingredient around (on?) the trees. It took me forever to figure out since you don’t need them until far enough into the story that you might not remember, and it’s one of the very few ingredients you get in town.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
is any of the DLC for Ryza worth it? know theres a bunch of dumb costume/music stuff but I guess also some quests

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If you really like a particular character, then sure. Ultimately iirc they’re all very slight and have no voice work. You also don’t carry over mats or anything.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

abraham linksys posted:

I was lookin for a chill JRPG to play

Yeah that's most of the Atelier series in a nutshell

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread, so since Ryza is on sale with 2 being announced, is the first one’s Switch port solid? I prefer JRPGS on handheld when possible, but I remember hearing some of the Mysterious games having portable issues

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's some very minor FPS drops in handheld mode every now and then but there weren't any other issues with Ryza's switch port, at least in my experience.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Cool, thanks

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Ryza previews so far have been for Lent, Tao, Klaudia, and Ryza. The official Japanese pages link a different image but so far all but one has been identifiable.

https://twitter.com/GustAtelierPR/status/1286858722384306178

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/1288382648705077248

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

has lent put on a shirt? hosed up if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Is she wearing one boot and one sandal?