Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

no_recall posted:

That bot has more personality than all of Star Citizen combined.

Oh please, it took them two years of development and they've only implemented Consumption AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

The enjoyment I got out of it was waiting for the game to randomly screw over FTR, but honestly, how can anyone still back this mess?

To borrow an expression from the late Gene Wilder...

You’ve got to remember that these are just simple commandos.
These are people of the 'verse.
The common clay of New Babbage.
You know… morons.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/IGiqsmV.gifv

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Game on.

Not the Star Citizen kind, sorry for a false flag.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

monkeytek posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the great "space shuttle" flight controls debate of yesteryear.

Lol, everyone knows the space shuttle has 1 joystick.
How can there be a debate.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Pryce posted:

I just got a Honeycomb too in preparation for FS2020. It’s so great; I just wish their throttle was out already so I don’t have to be mixing and matching between brands.

Exactly the same position i'm in. I have to plug the Logitech in , just to use the throttle quadrant.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

I wonder how these expectations fit with a sales model, whereby you can spend a couple of hundred dollars on a "space ship" and not actually get a game?

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Rugganovich posted:

I wish Vertisce would post here. Other than, you know, all the racist bs.

Now that MoMA is seemingly gone, the shoes are there to be filled!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Don't doxx me thanks

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm not even sure what expectations he's talking about. It's lower priced because the campaign is relatively small, it's a multiplayer focused game.
I imagine it's also cheaper to do space multiplayer where there are no characters to animate etc. and also no terrain. It's obviously not going to be Battlefield.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dwesa posted:

So exciting.

What else is there to do with it? Exploration ship with no places to explore and no exploration mechanics to do.

Not gonna lie I came across some free roaming cows while hiking last week and that was deffo p sweet. Can't wait to be reminded not to bother them by space hall monitors

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No Man's Sky has just added abandoned-freighter dungeons as well as minor combat improvements. They've added a poo poo-ton of kitchen-sink stuff like mech-suits and organic space-ships since launch, but still have devoted no resources to bartender animations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Rugganovich posted:

The shuttle also has a little 3-axis thingymabob for the RCS thrusters (in the picture, it's the thing on the left). I guess some citizen was arguing that it was a joystick? I don't remember exactly. Doesn't really matter because you could plug in a dozen joysticks and SC would still be trash

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/08yqczy.mp4

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

winter is coming

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No Man's Sky has just added abandoned-freighter dungeons as well as minor combat improvements. They've added a poo poo-ton of kitchen-sink stuff like mech-suits and organic space-ships since launch, but still have devoted no resources to bartender animations.

Obviously NMS is a poo poo-tier low fidelity game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

quote:

Just add one small details: Borderlands 3 sold a finished game, and SC sells us an unfinished early alpha. Why develop and sell a finished game when you can earn the same amount of money with an unstable early prototype and a few nice presentations?

Because: Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies and generated over $750 million in its first 24 hours at retail

Because, quite simply, there's a lot more money in developing and releasing a series of finished products than there is in remaining in alpha stages. Fallout 4, in only a single day, sold enough copies to outperform 15 years of SC crowdfunding. That means that, provided they can pump out another title within the decade and a half following that one, it's more profitable to follow that method than to endlessly crowdfund an alpha build.

Want a more modest example? Splatoon sold 5m copies, and assuming an average of $40 apiece ($60 MSRP) that brought Nintendo as much as four years of SC funding. Better yet, the sequel was released just over two years later, making that more than twice as lucrative as SC's funding model.

It's an irredeemably stupid argument, and you should abandon it rather than trying to find ways to prop it up. "Selling a dream" is demonstrably less efficient than selling a finished game and moving on to the next one.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The Crobear is going door to door to spread the good word about Star Citizen!

https://i.imgur.com/2ivJzmc.mp4

Buy an Idris today or he'll visit you tomorrow!

:lesnick: :iiasb: :lesnick:

drat he popped the door open like it was nothing. It's one thing to have the intellectual understanding of the strength inherent in bears but seeing it in action is a whole different level of "oh poo poo"

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Kosumo posted:

his nibs vs Thoatse jpeg wars is the best!

More, more, more!

Let us all burn in catte/doggo/otherro cuteness!

I'm sorry the battle has not begun until Kayak is posted many, many times.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I truly wish that were true. It just isn't. They have not just one but several subreddits dedicated to making GBS threads on SC. Not to mention the FDev forums and Somethingaweful.com. They even have Discord channels dedicated to sharing links so they can harass and brigade backers all the time.

They thrive on harassing other people. They think they are clever and they love to pat themselves on the back.

quote:

Man, arguing with him is pointless. He is just another refunds troll trying to create FUD with his bullshit. Just ignore him. It's like arguing with a Flat Earther at this point. No matter how much the facts and reality are on your side, he will still say the Earth is flat.

BTW...I know a few people that work for Amazon. One of them works on a team developing LumberYard. They obviously haven't abandoned it but those facts don't work towards the agenda of a refunds troll. I mean, just read the articles he linked. NONE of them say anything about Amazon abandoning LumberYard. Not even close. All they say is that it's the reason no game has been released yet and that a few dozen people have been laid off. Somehow that equates to abandoning the project. Even though New World had a solid Beta and is releasing soo

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

monkeytek posted:

drat he popped the door open like it was nothing. It's one thing to have the intellectual understanding of the strength inherent in bears but seeing it in action is a whole different level of "oh poo poo"

I like how after battering the door in, splintering the wood holding it in place, he puts out a paw to gently and patiently keep the door from swinging closed again.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

monkeytek posted:

It's also connected to "quality" of US doors connected to wooden frames. Every time I happen to come across some US live footage (not played out movie) that has someone knocking out doors with shoulder, I am like: "Yeah, that wouldn't happen in Europe".

Not saying the bear couldn't manage it, though. But he'd have less chance, might need two or three swings, even!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

There is a lot of FUD spread around about the game. You'll hear and read nonsense like 'Squadron 42 Chapter 1 all takes place in the Odin system'. 'All the original artwork for the landing zones and early work done prior to 2016 was dumped by CIG.' It's not true.

Chris Roberts consistently says 'Squadron 42 has to be the priority', but players only get to see the Alpha PU test bed so they insist that is all there is. So then we see the Squadron 42 vertical slice featuring the Odin system, so those who said the game would never get made switch to saying 'The whole of Squadron 42 takes place in the Odin system'. Do you see? The negativity toward the project constantly mandates that they keep it small in their minds.

There is an obvious question, so obvious that Chris won't even bother to answer those who keep insisting otherwise. In the first year when the project had a tenth of the developers it has now, and a tenth of the money it has since raised why - if Squadron 42 was the priority - did they spend all that time and money creating artwork for places that we see in the archives now? Why did they begin with Prime Terra as one of the very first landing zones to ever be showcased? The very first was Ruin Station in Pyro, but that wasn't a planet.

I went to Foundry 42 UK offices in March of 2016 for an office tour. There were lots of things they wouldn't show us, they were very careful to make sure that no-one had a screen visible to us with things on it that they didn't want us to see. We had to sign an NDA for the things they would show us.

Because of what they did show us I know that when they say they have made something 'recently' to put in the game, it's not strictly true. They made things a long time ago but reworked them before letting us see them. When we saw the volume of 'stuff' that they had made between January 2013 and March 2016 we were amazed, and they weren't even showing us all of it. I saw Shubin Interstellar Mining Corporation Archon Station in March of 2016 - the rest of the community didn't see it until the release of the vertical slice video 2 years later. They had been working on it for about a year before I saw it. Is it really conceivable that they did all that work with far less team members than they have had in the last 2 years, and virtually nothing since?

The guy who showed it to me (and one other guy) had just shown the whole group how he made the Starfarer, it was the week that the Starfarer was concepted and went on sale - I'd just bought one. As the group wandered off he put Shubin Archon Station on the screen in the game engine level editor and then realized 2 of us were still standing behind him.. so he answered our questions.. he said it was 6 kilometres long.. we asked how will players get around inside something that big? He told us, there is subway inside it. He spawned a Super Hornet and landed on one of the pads, then pulled back to show the scale. The Super Hornet was just a dot on the screen and yet the whole of Archon Station still wasn't visible. It's massive.

The other guy and me went to catch up with the group who were being shown the UEEN uniforms. There was Admiral Bishop on the screen in his uniform. He was animated, he was 'idling' moving his arms, touching his face. The guy was explaining how they had to change CryEngine to make the cloth of the uniform move and not have 'poke through'. He was showing us how the cloth got dirty and worn over time. He zoomed in to show us the level of detail.. it was incredible you could see the cloth fibres, the weave of the cloth.

The next guy was about 2 desks away and he had Delamar - Levski on the screen. He was explaining to us that it had been made as an FPS map. He told us that Chris made him put the roads outside and an entrance at the top of the crater landing zone to allow forced entry into Levski from outside without having to go through the main hangars. There were originally 3 hangar entrances, not four. He explained that when the new procedural planet tech had come in they wanted to fit a landing zone onto a spherical planet. The only place that suited a 'no atmosphere' barren ball of rock, that was ready, was Levski. They had Grimhex, they had Port Olisar, but none of the moons were suitable and Levksi wasn't supposed to be on any of Crusaders moons. We said at the time.. but Delamar isn't in the Stanton system.. his answer was .. 'exactly'. So why was Levski all ready to go when they needed a player landing zone?

A lot of players complained about Levski in the beginning, it was buggy and frame rates dropped to slideshow levels - it got the nickname Lagksi because it was so bad. The reason it was not MMO friendly was because it was not designed for the PU, it was designed for the single player experience. It was the quickest and easiest of all the landing zones that they were working on that could be 'attached' to the new spherical grid planets and moons. Most of it is below ground, and what is above ground is in a small crater. That's why the decision was taken to put Delamar in the wrong star system, because otherwise they would have had a PU first release with only Port Olisar and GrimHex that the players could land on.

"Squadron 42 has to be the priority" - So why was the most 'finished' and polished landing zone shown to us up to that point - Prime on Terra III? shown in 2013, and again in 2016. CIG didn't dump anything, they have extensively reworked a lot of the original planned assets, but the story hasn't changed at all. All the places and characters for Squadron 42 are exactly as they were always intended - if you'd like to get an idea of the places you will see then visit the archives on the RSI website, or watch this video. All that work had to be paid for, what would be the point of commissioning such work if it wasn't intended to go into Squadron 42? If it was in the story line, then it's STILL in the story line.

Squadron 42 is the game CIG are working on, the Alpha PU is the minimal test bed that we are allowed to mess around in. The living breathing universe includes all the places in Squadron 42, until it's release we cannot see the full extent of what the multiplayer experience is going to be.

Delamar will move back to the Nyx system, and it will be reworked. Remember Anthony Tanaka. Not every inhabitant of the UEE universe loves the Empire, or those in the military that they consider the oppressive jackboot of the Empire. If you prefer to believe the negativity, then sure.. CIG have wasted and squandered both time and resources.. they don't have a drat thing to show for all that time and money. Strange isn't it? What they do show is consistently high quality even though it is a WIP. Why bother? Why not tone it down and put out more 'volume' of stuff at a lower quality? Lumberyard has perfectly good physics and animations, it has a perfectly good system for putting in rivers and such. You could make a paradise in Lumberyard with it's stock assets in a few days. Why should one of the finest actors of our generation, Gary Oldman, be convinced to spend any time working on a poxy little game? With a tiny little 'us against them' story line?

It used to be a perk of subscribers that if you had one year at the $20 level you could name and create a backstory for a pirate character who would be based on Spider in the Cathcart system. After 2015 they removed this perk because so many had already qualified for it. If they don't have Spider in the game, some people are going to be very pissed off. Chris was amazed at the level of support he got from the community, he never thought they would raise as much as they did. He never thought they would have the team members that they would get.. so what? He sets about making the story smaller than he originally intended? I don't think so. Again, if the story is the same, then the places in the game universe have to be the same.

Make up your own mind.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

It's also connected to "quality" of US doors connected to wooden frames. Every time I happen to come across some US live footage (not played out movie) that has someone knocking out doors with shoulder, I am like: "Yeah, that wouldn't happen in Europe".

Not saying the bear couldn't manage it, though. But he'd have less chance, might need two or three swings, even!

Don't think you'd want to be on the other side of the door no matter where you are :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

But he'd have less chance, might need two or three swings, even!

Proof that European bears are weaker, inferior Bears.

UrSA UrSA!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

monkeytek posted:

Don't think you'd want to be on the other side of the door no matter where you are :)

Maybe some bunker / safety anti-Roberts / steel ones only, agreed.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Maybe some bunker / safety anti-Roberts / steel ones only, agreed.

I'm hoping it clips into the floor.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

trucutru posted:

Proof that European bears are weaker, inferior Bears.

UrSA UrSA!

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciates this

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

What they do show is consistently high quality even though it is a WIP.

quote:

Why should one of the finest actors of our generation, Gary Oldman, be convinced to spend any time working on a poxy little game?

:lol: oh ok I'm convinced. time to buy an idris :gary:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

:lol: oh ok I'm convinced. time to buy an idris

Your lack of conviction disappoints me!

Buy Donate for a Bengal or nothing at all!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why did they add wind to the flight model anyway? You have a spaceship that can travel at warp speed and has enough power to lift off as a VTOL, but it's less capable of flying in windy weather than a Piper Cub?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

awesome

“this rear end is on faiaaa“
“this rear end is on faiaaahaa“

edit: this is some stuff that should be mo-capped

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 20, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bubbacub posted:

:lol: oh ok I'm convinced. time to buy an idris :gary:

Just a reminder that Gary Oldman also starred in "Tiptoes" so he isn't that picky...

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
star citizen is the single most inspirational thing for me as an amateur game developer. every time i watch people clip through the floor $300M and 8 years later, i think to myself, "i'm really gonna make it".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What else does the US not have, outside of bear-proof sturdy doors and universal healthcare? Can you not tap your debit card like in Europe? Is the bread made of drywall?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

What else does the US not have, outside of bear-proof sturdy doors and universal healthcare? Can you not tap your debit card like in Europe? Is the bread made of drywall?

We believe deep down masks are an evil plot to control us.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Oh no, those Americans have figured out our evil plot to control em.

Quick, regroup on our secret moon base where we can devise another evil plot!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

monkeytek posted:

I bet a RSI space door could stop the bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

well...

we may have bear-proof doors in europe.
but we do not have bears. we killed them all.
instead we have a population densitiy that is through the roof.
we are about to loose even insects/butterflies etc.

mega city one will happen in europe.

preserve what you have left of wildlife in the us!