Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the little canadian ultralight/usa light-sport ones are only like 35k :saddowns:

bzzzzzzzzzz

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
yeah what’s the insurance like

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

When I first started flying one of the first things I did was look up the area around my family's cabin in Quebec to make sure that someday I would be able to fly a floatplane up there and land on the lake in front. (I can).

(If I can ever afford a floatplane)

I’ll pay for the gas and beer. We can go ride motorcycles. God I love Quebec.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

a patagonian cavy posted:

yeah what’s the insurance like

The question is:

WILL ANYBODY INSURE IT?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol @ insuring flying a 2 stroke powered airplane

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1 week in the book and I can now officially hover a helicopter. Hardest thing of the week was hydraulics failures...that was a serious workout.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Despite growing up in a family of aviators and my parents owning enough planes I've lost count, I don't actually know this: Is plane insurance required by law? Are there different categories (liability/collision) like with car insurance?

Obviously as a financial matter you'd need insurance for such a costly and risky item anyway but I have no idea what the legal requirements are.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

FBS posted:

Despite growing up in a family of aviators and my parents owning enough planes I've lost count, I don't actually know this: Is plane insurance required by law? Are there different categories (liability/collision) like with car insurance?

Obviously as a financial matter you'd need insurance for such a costly and risky item anyway but I have no idea what the legal requirements are.

In the US, there's not a universal requirement for airplane insurance, but quite a few states require it, and some places can require it for renting a long-term tiedown or hangar space from them.

Many people do insure airplanes (since you're probably not getting financing without insurance), and there's policies that just cover damage to the airplane, as well as ones that provide liability coverage if you crash into a school bus full of blind gay orphans or something.

When I instructed, I carried a personal liability policy as well as a renters insurance policy, since most aircraft insurance has deductibles in the four figure range.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 18, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

azflyboy posted:

it's difficult to get a hangar or tiedown spot at an FBO without coverage.

Dude what?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I edited my post to clarify that may only be some long term rentals.

I've worked at and flown into places that required some kind of insurance to get a long term tiedown or hangar spot, but that may have just been down to requirements from the FBO or airport authority to reduce their liability.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, speaking of floatplanes, you know what's not a floatplane?

quote:

Investigators have determined that a Royal Air Maroc Express ATR 72-600 twice struck the surface of the Mediterranean Sea during an extraordinary botched approach to Al Hoceima airport, badly damaging the turboprop before its crew diverted to Nador.

quote:

But Moroccan investigation authority BEA also found the ground-proximity warning system had issued ‘terrain’ and ‘pull up’ alerts during the crew’s previous approach to the same airport.

As a result, prior to the accident, the pilots turned off the system, believing it had been giving nuisance alarms.

After the aircraft hit the water, the crew executed a belated go-around, telling the tower controllers that they were aborting the approach because of a bird-strike.

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/atr-72-struck-sea-surface-after-crew-turned-off-ground-proximity-system/139264.article

What is this I don't even :wtc: :stonk:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

quote:

A total of 11 states impose either liability insurance requirements or aircraft financial responsibility requirements that apply to general aviation owners and operators.

Minnesota is the only state that requires nearly all general aviation owners to have liability insurance. All aircraft owners in the state must have proof of insurance, with the minimum coverage requirements, when registering the aircraft with the state.

Hawaii, Maryland, Oregon, and Rhode Island require general aviation aircraft owners and operators to have liability insurance if they either hangar their aircraft at a state-owned airport or operate their aircraft for commercial purposes (leasing or renting out aircraft, for example).

California, Connecticut, Indiana, Massachusetts, and Virginia general aviation aircraft owners and operators are required to demonstrate aircraft financial responsibility by showing differing combinations of liability insurance, a bond, deposits of money or securities, or a letter of credit.

North Dakota has an aircraft financial responsibility requirement, but does not specify how civilian aviation pilots, owners and operators should demonstrate financial responsibility to the state.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming do not have provisions relating to general aviation aircraft liability insurance.

Registering airplanes in Delaware is great!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The NTSB just had a file dump of stuff related to the Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Citation crash last Summer and uhh...(summary from an A.net poster)

quote:

What's disturbing to about the N8JR crash was the lack of professionalism by the pilots: 1) They didn't bother to file a flight plan (even a VFR flight plan). 2) Assumed they could "see and avoid" encountered traffic in a high-performance aircraft without ATC help (at least VFR flight following). This added to their workload and distracted them during the approach. 3) There was no approach briefing, they just dove down from their cruise altitude and started looking for an airport which they were only vaguely familiar with. 4) No landing checklist callout was heard. 5) Wind conditions (basically calm) would have allowed for landing on RWY 6, which doesn't have as much terrain in the approach course and a long displaced landing threshold. RWY 6 also has a published, RNAV approach. 6) They knew they were going too fast, they also had 2 terrain and one descent rate alert, but they chose to continue to continue the approach anyway. 7) Poor coordination between the 2 pilots led to the PM activating the thrust reversers on the mains contact, while the PF was unaware and attempted a go-around after the second bounce with the thrust reversers still activated.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=64015&CurrentPage=1&EndRow=15&StartRow=1&order=1&sort=0&TXTSEARCHT=

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

those yokels were flying a Citation like it was a Cessna 182

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal posted:

This is what happens when Microsoft lets 14 years go past without updating FSX.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Well that's one way to solve a labor dispute: fire all your FAs and have pilots do their job

https://www.businessinsider.com/icelandair-fire-all-flight-attendants-make-pilots-do-job-2020-7

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

luminalflux posted:

Well that's one way to solve a labor dispute: fire all your FAs and have pilots do their job

https://www.businessinsider.com/icelandair-fire-all-flight-attendants-make-pilots-do-job-2020-7

Do pilots of long haul aircraft get all the same training in deploying the rafts and stuff that the flight attendants do? Since legally that’s why flight attendants are there...

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

luminalflux posted:

I expected this to be ASA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

luminalflux posted:

*banging and clunking noises on the radio*
"hi, sorry, tower, could you repeat that? this one lady just keeps asking for more peanuts"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Animal posted:

11000 and 6500TT but nah, it's only the sub-1500TT pilots who completely blow it, right Chuck/Sully?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Let he who has not flown an unstable approach cast the first stone, and then track that stone’s glide path to the runway

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

11000 and 6500TT but nah, it's only the sub-1500TT pilots who completely blow it, right Chuck/Sully?

Usually yes, if you look at the statistics, but these two ATP rated morons with more total time than sense sure screwed the pooch too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how does it factor into the equation if you're a PIA pilot with 5,000 hours but no pilot's license

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
This is why standardization and SOPs are so important. I cringe everytime I hear a story of a Part 91 flight department where every pilot has their own methods.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, I now belong to a very small subset of pilots that are furloughed but actually managed to secure a flying job (that isn't instructing!) Just signed the paperwork to work for a Canadian ACMI airline that does work for the UN in Africa and the Middle East in a CRJ200. I'm a tad shy on Total Time to go in as a Captain immediately, but I'm doing a PIC ride and Indoc and flying one or two rotations from the right seat and then taking the left - a scheme I'm totally onboard with, I mean, I know the RJ and am comfortable flying it into any mega-airport, but it will be nice to have some mentorship on the whole 'Africa' aspect of flying in Africa. Oh and the danger pay is pretty sweet.

This is going to be an adventure :clint:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desi posted:

So, I now belong to a very small subset of pilots that are furloughed but actually managed to secure a flying job (that isn't instructing!) Just signed the paperwork to work for a Canadian ACMI airline that does work for the UN in Africa and the Middle East in a CRJ200. I'm a tad shy on Total Time to go in as a Captain immediately, but I'm doing a PIC ride and Indoc and flying one or two rotations from the right seat and then taking the left - a scheme I'm totally onboard with, I mean, I know the RJ and am comfortable flying it into any mega-airport, but it will be nice to have some mentorship on the whole 'Africa' aspect of flying in Africa. Oh and the danger pay is pretty sweet.

That's awesome to hear, your stories have so far been awesome and I am sure you will get a bunch of cool new ones!

All I ever get is "so, this is how my rental checkout tried to kill me today."

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

You should post those stories too, imo.

I can’t get my ppl due to Covid anyway, so I’d enjoy stories about people who are really bad at it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Desi posted:

Oh poo poo what a plot twist!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Flying for the UN sounds really cool.

No regrets on getting married but man, this is the stuff I thought I’d be doing as a kid.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Bob A Feet posted:

The loving worst is trying to trouble shoot their audio panel selections. “Sir, I can’t hear you.” Turn down Comm 1, turn up ICS. “Sir, I can’t hear you, Comm 1 is too loud.”

My eyelid is twitching.

You're cutting in and out, why don't you open the squelch a little?
[turns up volume]
No no, that's the volume, we want the outside knob. But first turn the volume back down a little...
[turns it down all the way]
No, not all the way! (only my muffled voice is carrying across the cockpit so I yell to be heard, for him to turn it back up.)
[interprets yelling to mean that I want it REALLY far up, and opens it all the way. Now I'm blasting my eardrums out]
Turns it back down, but partway! Somewhere in the middle! AAh ok that's good, just a little bit more... OK
Now back to the squelch, you want the OUTSIDE knob....
[turns it all the way and the wrong way, rinse repeat....] :bang:

Closing in on my 5th year at my airline job, my favorite part is still by far having my own volume control, and separate ones for the intercom and radio at that. And ANR. And if the other guy is fresh off OE and frazzled and can't unfuck his own audio panel, I can reach over and do that for him too.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 21, 2020

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Desi posted:

That's really cool. I lived in west Africa as a kid, parents have since had subsequent tours in central and west Africa. Always wanted to fly around the continent. Really look forward to hearing about it!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Captain Apollo posted:

The question is:

WILL ANYBODY INSURE IT?

For liability yes and cheap.

For in motion hull insurance not so much.

Back when I flew a Lazair it cost substantially less to insure than a motorcycle. It was something like $150 a year for liability and not in motion hull coverage.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hope you didn't take a checkride with this fucker from CVG FSDO in the last dozen years. :shepicide:

quote:

This notice provides current guidance to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aviation safety inspectors (ASI) on program policies and procedures for reexamining individuals holding pilot certificates with various ratings who were tested by Michael A. Puehler of Cincinnati, Ohio. The reexamination will ensure that these individuals meet the standards of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 61 to hold their certificates and/or ratings.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...9TSZWqY5uGL8yPo

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 23, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Any idea what he was doing that set that all off? I've heard of people basically taking bribes to pass people at the various foreign pilot mills in the southwest, but I didn't think there were many of those in Ohio.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

azflyboy posted:

Any idea what he was doing that set that all off? I've heard of people basically taking bribes to pass people at the various foreign pilot mills in the southwest, but I didn't think there were many of those in Ohio.

Unclear. Our flight school manager was in a Zoom meeting with us just now and another FSDO rep hinted to her a few days ago something big was coming.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If it was bribery I wonder how much jail time he’ll serve

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Today I brought my baby home!!!

New panel photos.

Americana. Check out the crops in the background.

Today was a great day to figure out where the NEXRAD button was on the 650.

Now I’m not using my iPad anymore to file /G!

Really happy with everything. Glad I went 650 and the G5’s. I know some other options exist but this was the right choice for me!

GFC 500 is next (year).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looks perfect, in and out.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Looks great- you’re going to have a lot of fun figuring out all the bells and whistles in the G650!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Animal posted:

If it was bribery I wonder how much jail time he’ll serve

I stand corrected on my earlier post.

The DPE who forced a bunch of checkride redos in the southwest was basically just rubber stamping people and kind of inventing his own standards.

There were examiners who were passing way too many people for the foreign pilot mills, but since they were essentially only examining foreign students, the FSDO simply pulled their credentials and kept it quiet, since trying to retest certificates of people in foreign countries is a bit problematic.