Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I lol'd a bit once when someone said they didn't need winter tires because their car was all wheel drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Minto Took posted:

I lol'd a bit once when someone said they didn't need winter tires because their car was all wheel drive.

Things state DOTs actually believe

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh my god please don't

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

I drove an Evo with winter tires for a few years in snow and almost died on multiple occasions because I thought I was invincible. It's mostly the driver. :science:

How? Shouldn't an four wheel drive rally car with winter tires be essentially invincible in all winter conditions,

unless you're trying to doriftu every intersection/ramp?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

How? Shouldn't an four wheel drive rally car with winter tires be essentially invincible in all winter conditions,

unless you're trying to doriftu every intersection/ramp?

Yep, once I went straight over a curbed median onto the wrong side of a 6 lane road, sideways. Luckily going over the curb slowed me down enough that I just stopped in the middle of the other side, after having spun around, facing the correct direction, with nothing more than a broken swaybar link, and oncoming traffic was all stopped at a light a little further down. Sailed through a couple of intersections on other occasions too because turns out there is a limit to grip in the snow even with winter tires!

I'm married with kid(s) now. :wotwot:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Some people are really goddamn stupid and you can tell from the kind of cars they drive!

https://www.iihs.org/media/0a799755-c2b6-4ae5-bc43-5832d3941ce1/sDy7yQ/HLDI%20Research/HLDI%20composite/ictl_0906.pdf

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

Should I cancel my G80 preorder and instead get the last 2020 S5 Sportback off the Audi lot?

Anyone daily drive one in a wintry area?

Hate to say it, but I didn't get on with my 2018 S4. It turned into a rattlebox within a year and I found the throttle response laggy.

IIRC, you're in Winterpeg? It just so happens my old car is for sale at Audi Winnipeg. It's the Daytona Grey 2018 S4.
You can check out all the felt I stuffed into the door panels and b pillars to stop the rattles.

One thing you might miss when downsizing is that long wheelbase solidity.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 20, 2020

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

smooth jazz posted:

Hate to say it, but I didn't get on with my 2018 S4. It turned into a rattlebox within a year and I found the throttle response laggy.

IIRC, you're in Winterpeg? It just so happens my old car is for sale at Audi Winnipeg. It's the Daytona Grey 2018 S4.
You can check out all the felt I stuffed into the door panels and b pillars to stop the rattles.

So many positive responses and then this lol. Yeah Winnipeg though. Consisting leasing this one because I just want a new car every three years dammit.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Is this an old list? I would have expected Infiniti G35 owners to be significantly worse.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Is this an old list? I would have expected Infiniti G35 owners to be significantly worse.

Check the full doc from the link. It’s from like 15 years ago.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

One thing you might miss when downsizing is that long wheelbase solidity.

Were rattles not addressed by the dealer if it was within warranty?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

So many positive responses and then this lol. Yeah Winnipeg though. Consisting leasing this one because I just want a new car every three years dammit.

FWIW, reliability wise everything was flawless over the 3 year lease except for the drat interior trim creaking and rattling (intermittently, so no use getting the dealer to chase it).
I ran 18" Michelin PA4s in the winter and it was unstoppable. Surprising amount of ground clearance, too.

I'd love to know if they refinished the rear passenger wheel for lease return refurbishing.

The clearcoat was all cracked from a shoddy repair done as part of their wheel protection plan (subcontracted repair, Audi owned up to it but I didn't bother getting it repainted).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

TKIY posted:

Should I cancel my G80 preorder and instead get the last 2020 S5 Sportback off the Audi lot?

Anyone daily drive one in a wintry area?

Not a G80 but I DD a lowered 86 GT in the winter on Blizzaks. It’s the tires.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Minto Took posted:

Everyone I know with AWD was shocked when I told them that I have winter tires for my car. "But you have AWD! You don't need winter tires! It's just wasting money!"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Everyone I know with AWD was shocked when I told them that I have winter tires for my car. "But you have AWD! You don't need winter tires! It's just wasting money!"

edmunds posted:

No single tire type excels on all surfaces, and the differences between each are sometimes striking. These differences are so massive, in fact, that we feel that certain generalizations can be extrapolated from our small trio of carefully selected test tires.

To the surprise of exactly no one, our winter tires dominate in snow and the summer tires dominate in the dry. The eye-opener here relates to wet performance, where a well-developed summer tire embarrasses an all-season tire made for the same car by the same folks. Anyone who never sees or visits snow would be very well served by summer tires for year-round use.

Another key take-away from this exercise is the utter worthlessness of those same summer tires on snow. Anyone who uses snow tires in winter and summer tires the rest of the year — a good strategy to maximize performance and control all year — needs to time the switch-over carefully to avoid getting caught out by the first rogue snow accumulation of the season.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

Nothing yet. I had the sedan from 2016-19 and I also didn’t have any issues while also driving it much more.

It's the new turbo motor in the hatchbacks that has the issue.

Might wanna read up on it and keep an eye out.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I use high performance all seasons because I drive 99.9% of the time in the Sacramento area, but occasionally drive up to my mom's in Oregon in the winter. I might switch to summer tires next time and just take the coast route in the future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tire technology is ever changing. Some UHP All-Seasons of today can embarrass some max performance summers of 8 years ago. Tire selection is all about risk mitigation with your range of driving conditions.

On my WRX i settled on summer oriented UHP All-Seasons for most of the year and then dedicated winters for the worst months. Since we wouldn't get any sort of significant snow until late into December usually, it allowed me to run without changing tires far later than I normally could with summers and I didn't have to wait until we stopped getting the occasional dips into the 20s before I switched back.

Also, the Pilot Sport AS3s killed the stock summer contis on the WRX in dry and wet conditions when warm.

The golf still has the summer tires on it since it's only a year old, but I'll be doing the same thing when it comes time to change out its summer tires. I have a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tires for winter, but I'll certainly be putting on UHP all-seasons to replace the summers when they wear out for similar reasons to the WRX. I don't track the car, UHP AS serve me far better for the driving that I do.

The scale slides with the BRZ. Max performance summers (Pilot Sport 4s) for most of the time and I swap out for UHP All-Seasons in the winter since I never drive it in snow, I just need something that works in the cold.

I mean, poo poo. The new Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate pulls better cornering numbers in the wet than any of the current crop of max performance summers and comes within striking distance of the top two in the dry and every single UHP All Season in current tests stop shorter in the wet than all the max performance summer tires from 50. They are doing magical things with rubber compounds now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 20, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pilot Sports are the only all seasons I'll bother with.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Am I going crazy or is this an incredibly lovely article with wackadoo reasons on why bronco bad

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-bronco-could-have-a-hard-time-gunning-for-1844440566

Like why not complain about IFS instead of...no hybrid engine?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Yeah, I use Pilot Sport AS3 tires and I don't autocross or track my car or anything and I can't tell the difference between them and the summer tires it came with.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's the new turbo motor in the hatchbacks that has the issue.

Might wanna read up on it and keep an eye out.

The motor is in the sedans and coupes too. It's also in the Accord and CR-V. The issue has come up in every model with that motor. It's an issue shared to a lesser or greater extent across all DI turbo motors, but the Honda motor is particularly bad, though law of large numbers and all that.

I haven't had the issue in just over 15000 miles and a year of ownership in my Si. But I also live in a semi-rural area of the south, and the issue seems to mainly pop up with cars that take short trips in cold climates.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Inner Light posted:

Were rattles not addressed by the dealer if it was within warranty?

diagnosing and fixing rattles is absurdly hard and not worth it for the tech in most cases. better to just write "could not replicate customer complaint" and get something that will actually pay.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

diagnosing and fixing rattles is absurdly hard and not worth it for the tech in most cases. better to just write "could not replicate customer complaint" and get something that will actually pay.

Oh, that is sad. :( I've never bought a new car but part of the allure would be a true bumper-to-bumper warranty that would include minor complaints like rattles. But your explanation surely makes sense.

e: Wonder what would happen if you went for a ride with the tech and indeed could replicate it?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
In a ideal world where there's three seasons you need three sets of tires,
- UHP summer tires for the summer, these get burned out on the end of summer,
- studded tires for the ice season,
- unstudded ones for the snow season and to be switched to and burned out at before switching to fresh UHP rubber

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One weird thing I've noticed in some Colorado tire discussions is the number of people that have a dedicated winter set but will only run mediocre all seasons on their rest of the year set. I've never seen what amounts to a remotely decent explanation of why. They get very defensive about it when you question them too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Someone on these forums got really angry and caremad that I asked why they ran all seasons on their performance car in a part of TX where it never snows (Dallas, Houston maybe). Always seems a weird decision to buy a really high performance car then put some mediocre tires on it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

moist turtleneck posted:

Am I going crazy or is this an incredibly lovely article with wackadoo reasons on why bronco bad

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-bronco-could-have-a-hard-time-gunning-for-1844440566

Like why not complain about IFS instead of...no hybrid engine?

It is idiotic. Maybe a hybrid should be planned for bronco sport, but to go on for far too long questioning why a midsized SUV doesn’t have a V8 and a manual transmission is really reaching for something resembling a valid criticism. Have they even put a V8 in the Ranger it’s based on? Do they even see what Ford is doing with the Raptor F-150 and it’s twin turbo V6? Baja/desert racing with the turbo 6? It’s like the author only now is learning Ford exists.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It's illegal to post in AI unless you own 4 sets of wheels and tires

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

fknlo posted:

One weird thing I've noticed in some Colorado tire discussions is the number of people that have a dedicated winter set but will only run mediocre all seasons on their rest of the year set. I've never seen what amounts to a remotely decent explanation of why. They get very defensive about it when you question them too.

I don't know why you'd pick mediocre all-seasons, but in places where spring and fall bring snow one day and 60 degree heat the next, summers aren't practical unless you really do go with three sets of wheels and tires, or unless you can just not drive the car when the weather's wrong.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We only have summer and SUMMER where I live so easy choice.

I don't know if this is true but, if you park your car outside and drive super early in the morning, it will sometimes dip into the high 20s overnight (at least until the sun rises). So I've heard a couple people say that you could potentially "crack" summer rubber if you try to drive hard in those conditions.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Someone on these forums got really angry and caremad that I asked why they ran all seasons on their performance car in a part of TX where it never snows (Dallas, Houston maybe). Always seems a weird decision to buy a really high performance car then put some mediocre tires on it.

C8 Corvette comes with all seasons and they're really good

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I consider some tires that are classified as snow tires in some European countries all seasons, and some people consider something like Continental Premium Contacts as all season tire. It really depends on where you live.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

And here I am getting bigger wheels to fit PS4S on my mediocre Mazda3 heh. Nothing improves car performance like good tires!

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Russian Bear posted:

I don't know if this is true but, if you park your car outside and drive super early in the morning, it will sometimes dip into the high 20s overnight (at least until the sun rises). So I've heard a couple people say that you could potentially "crack" summer rubber if you try to drive hard in those conditions.
I've had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires go bad in two years as I live near the Arctic Circle. I also had Nokia Hakkapeliitta 5s go bad too as I ran them too long into summer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Making broad statements about tire categories is really reductive.

Let's take a look at Florida. Rains a lot, yes? The Pilot 4s actually performs worse than the Pilot Sport AS3+ when it comes to rain according to Tirerack's tests

Pilot 4s:
117.90 ft stopping distance from 50mph
0.79g cornering

Pilot Sport AS3+
101.30 ft stopping distance from 50mph
0.80g cornering

Now, in the dry, the 4s outperforms, but not as significantly.

Pilot 4s
78.40 ft stopping distance from 50mph
0.97g cornering

Pilot Sport AS3+
80.80ft stopping distance from 50mph
0.92g cornering

So, if you are choosing tires for Florida, a state that doesn't see a flake of snow under normal conditions, the all-seasons are actually the superior choice. You only give up 2.5ft of stopping distance in the dry but you gain 16ft of stopping distance in the wet which is over a full car length. Yeah, the 4s corners quite a bit better, but you aren't exactly carving canyons in Florida and 0.92g of grip should be sufficient for most circumstances.

A lot of the same calculus can be applied to some place like Texas as well though the lower amount of rainfall de-emphasizes that wet performance. But the AS3+ has the advantage of not turning into hockey pucks when the temps dip into the 40s.

poo poo tires are poo poo tires, no matter the product category. Today's tire tech is crazy and it's getting harder to justify specialized tires outside of extreme driving conditions (competition or continually snow covered roads.)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

C8 Corvette comes with all seasons and they're really good
I remember when GM announced that they said customer surveys showed that owners didn’t like having to swap winters on when the weather got too cold for summers.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I do wonder whether that really drives sales. I can't imagine someone looking to buy a $50k (minimum) car just giving up over a set of tires.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Inner Light posted:

Oh, that is sad. :( I've never bought a new car but part of the allure would be a true bumper-to-bumper warranty that would include minor complaints like rattles. But your explanation surely makes sense.

e: Wonder what would happen if you went for a ride with the tech and indeed could replicate it?

The dealership I go to is always willing to work with me, but their techs are animals.
It is luck of the draw whether the tech utterly butchers the clips and surrounding trim and makes it worse.

I have crippling OCD when it comes to rattles. I dealt with what I could myself, but there was a temperature dependent rattle deep in the dash (only when it snowed, LOL) and somewhere in the rear shelf that I couldn't solve.

At the end of the day, I think the B9 and C8 Audis have really spiff looking interiors, but there's so many high tolerance hard plastics that it's bound to creak and rattle after a few months.

Oh, pro tip- every new Audi tire pressure in north america is overinflated. The door jamb sticker indicates Max Load pressures, so the ride quality on your test drive will be surprisingly hard and brittle.
The manual states a "normal use" tire pressure that's 6-8 psi lower- once deflated to those values the ride quality improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I do wonder whether that really drives sales. I can't imagine someone looking to buy a $50k (minimum) car just giving up over a set of tires.
A friend of mine bought a Tesla P100D and won’t by snow tires because “I’m not paying $2,000 for a set of wheels and tires that I’ll only use for a few months a year.” Some people are really weird when it comes to the cost of things.

smooth jazz posted:

Oh, pro tip- every new Audi tire pressure in north america is overinflated. The door jamb sticker indicates Max Load pressures, so the ride quality on your test drive will be surprisingly hard and brittle.
The manual states a "normal use" tire pressure that's 6-8 psi lower- once deflated to those values the ride quality improves.
I don’t think it’s only Audis. Almost every new car I’ve bought has had the tires inflated to the max pressure on the side wall.