Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

been doing some contracts on the side for a guy I know and looks like Ill have to file taxes as an independent contractor, so looking forward to delving that particular morass .

Got asked to do a will by a friend, seems intimidating tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I just litigated a will contest that ended in a 800k malpractice claim against the drafter of a codicil just doing it for a friend. I've heard T&E litigation has the highest rate of malpractice claims fwiw.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Meemaw said those figurines are supposed to go-to me!!!!!!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

I just litigated a will contest that ended in a 800k malpractice claim against the drafter of a codicil just doing it for a friend. I've heard T&E litigation has the highest rate of malpractice claims fwiw.

i think that's why it's got a reputation as the ideal specialty for old lawyers, who will die before their wills are litigated

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Grip it and rip it posted:

Meemaw said those figurines are supposed to go-to me!!!!!!

You joke but here in Iowa probate stuff gets ugly super loving fast. There are so many piece of poo poo children who will swoop into their dead parents' farms and start selling the livestock and walk away with hundreds of thousands of dollars before the litigation can even get started. Everyone always claims "Well, I was helping Dad take care of the farm, and he said that I could be responsible for the cows. What's that? The cows went to the non-drunkard brother who wasn't a gently caress-up and living with them? Well Dad told me the cows were mine and I already spent the money on this truck. Whoops."

Or the perennial "I helped him buy that tractor!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got a second interview scheduled for a non-lawyer job that pays at least $22k more than I make now!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
drat nice find, especially given the circumstances. My job got delayed until the New Year and the thought of looking for work right now makes me sad.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got a second interview scheduled for a non-lawyer job that pays at least $22k more than I make now!

Rooting for you friend - thread lurker here, spent 4 years as a FL paralegal before finding some sense and getting a job as a data analyst (with actual benefits! and making like 30% more!). It's much less stressful too. Very happy I decided against law school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I definitely do not want to count my chickens before they’re hatched, but I’m hopeful. They said they would only invite back 1-3 candidates for a second interview.

The work sample they want is pretty straightforward. I’ve gotta make a powerpoint and give a 10 minute presentation and be ready for q&a.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

well thats a nightmare.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Nonexistence posted:

QDROs always seem like giant malpractice traps to me. I have actively resisted learning anything but the bare minimum about them. (Not really related, just following from the malpractice thought.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Judge just ruled in my favor on something so I'm having a good morning. He also cited the Bible in his order, which is a first for me in two years of practice.

E: ecclesiastes 3:1 if you’re curious.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 20, 2020

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Judge just ruled in my favor on something so I'm having a good morning. He also cited the Bible in his order, which is a first for me in two years of practice.

E: ecclesiastics 3:1 if you’re curious.

This litigation is A TIME FOR WAR!...
Motion denied.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

E: ecclesiastes 3:1 if you’re curious.

Boo. I was hoping for Ps. 109

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

joat mon posted:

Boo. I was hoping for Ps. 109

Ezekiel 25:17 here.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I had James 2:10 in the pool

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SlyFrog posted:

Ezekiel 25:17 here.

Such a good movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FlTj6fcSJ8

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1285317636944007171

Governor already said he'll pardon them. But still.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Look Sir Droids posted:

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1285317636944007171

Governor already said he'll pardon them. But still.

I feel so bad for the prosecutor assigned to that who has to wade through the defense attorney's inevitable avalanche of baseless poo poo motions. Does Missouri do criminal depositions?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I may have been the only lawyer ever to cite Genesis 2:10-14 in a brief.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Austin 3:16

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

nm posted:

Thomas

Justice Thomas is the only member of SCOTUS who genuinely understands the significance of his position. He understands the value of inaction and perceives what ought to be - engaging in the public back and forth with attorneys would be a detriment. When a Justice engages with an attorney, it should be away from the prying eyes of upstart journos and the creatures that pack the gallery. It should be like a grandparent talking to his grandchild, communicating knowledge from a bygone era; if it takes place in open court, then through the power of contempt we ensure the awe of the attorney and maintain absolute harmony.

For weighty matters we write briefs. Relationship and culture is as important as "written law". The decision is discussed and decided first in chambers, and the proceedings in open court are the ritual expression. Justice Thomas is a sage.

Parmenides fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 22, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Parmenides posted:

Justice Thomas is the only member of SCOTUS who genuinely understands the significance of his position. He understands the value of inaction and perceives what ought to be - engaging in the public back and forth with attorneys would be a detriment. When a Justice engages with an attorney, it should be away from the prying eyes of upstart journos and the creatures that pack the gallery. It should be like a grandparent talking to his grandchild, communicating knowledge from a bygone era; if it takes place in open court, then through the power of contempt we ensure the awe of the attorney and maintain absolute harmony.

For weighty matters we write briefs. Relationship and culture is as important as "written law". The decision is discussed and decided first in chambers, and the proceedings in open court are the ritual expression. Justice Thomas is a sage.

Thanks, I love it, just like I love my avatar.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Welcome back, you lovable doofus.

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica
What'd I miss in the last... 6 years?

I'm still prosecuting, but in Minnesota now. I took the California bar in Feb and passed, but haven't been sworn in yet. Is the law market in Cali booming, are midwest prosecutors in high demand?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Welcome back, you lovable doofus.

nm posted:

Thanks, I love it, just like I love my avatar.

:cheers:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Parmenides posted:

I'm still prosecuting, but in Minnesota now. I took the California bar in Feb and passed, but haven't been sworn in yet. Is the law market in Cali booming, are midwest prosecutors in high demand?

Apparently you are bizarro world nm.
Unless he's bizarro world you. :tinfoil:
Welcome back!
:toot:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Parmenides posted:

You missed a lot. There have been study partners, emails, and so on.

Alaska's governor just appointed... like 1/5 of the State's prosecutors to the bench, so Alaska is hiring! The pay is super good too.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Parmenides posted:

Not much tbh.

There's a discord, lowtax beat like three wives and is permabanned and the forum is in probate, Slyfrog retired, Discendo Vox is a big shot department head in the Trump administration, joat mon was revealed to have tiny hands and blarzgh is a hobbit and a snitch, uuuhhh Yuns owns the New York Jets, Actus Resus hates us now and left, Phil is a professor and wants people to go to law school, nm started Biking for Jesus, evilweasel is probated, am I forgetting anything? I think that's all.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nice piece of fish posted:

Not much tbh.

There's a discord, lowtax beat like three wives and is permabanned and the forum is in probate, Slyfrog retired, Discendo Vox is a big shot department head in the Trump administration, joat mon was revealed to have tiny hands and blarzgh is a hobbit and a snitch, uuuhhh Yuns owns the New York Jets, Actus Resus hates us now and left, Phil is a professor and wants people to go to law school, nm started Biking for Jesus, evilweasel is probated, am I forgetting anything? I think that's all.

Really? drat I somewhat pay attention to this thread and missed this.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Every time she came to the thread people called her a Nazi for being a prosecutor. It was funny for a while and then got old, but we refused to drop the joke and so she left. Also she briefly questioned social distancing before being run off the internet as insufficiently communist.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not much tbh.

You're being modest. Clearly the big ticket item is the Great Goon Cabin of the Far North.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

algebra testes posted:

Yeah, Arcturas said Gilbert & Sullivan sucks so she had no choice in the matter, had to pull the Internet ripcord.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

You're being modest. Clearly the big ticket item is the Great Goon Cabin of the Far North.

Thank you for saying it is great :blush: you're great too :biglips:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If any of you 1099 bros have been impacted by covid, you're eligible for EIDL loans from the SBA equal to half your income from last year on a 30 year note at 3.75%. Some of these are forgivable, but they aren't processing those until they're done processing loans.

Also you may be eligible for PPP loans which can be completely forgiven equal to 2.5 your monthly gross.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Arcturas said Gilbert & Sullivan sucks so she had no choice in the matter, had to pull the Internet ripcord.

If it's not written by Lin Manuel Miranda I don't want to hear it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Parmenides posted:

We probably now know a lot of people in common if you're in the cities.

Like last year, you'd be good. I'd still apply to all the DA's offices.
MN and California DA culture are really, really different though. I recommend Sonoma. They're chillax, you're in a really amazing area, but the area is big enough that you probably won't run into your defendants that much. SF is a total nightmare.

If you want to practice banjo law, I am aware the Amador County DA is hiring right now.
Another option is the AG's office which was circuit prosecutors who handle DA conflicts and complex cases for local DAs offices. I have a friend who did environmental criminal prosecution in BFE for years and really liked it. The state is a bit more stable right now, particularly in an elected department.
The best resource for county jobs is: https://www.governmentjobs.com/ but you're best off trolling every county's website individually.

Also, I'm no longer a PD. I'm now working for the state doing evil.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 23, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nm posted:

What sort of role?

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

nm posted:

We probably now know a lot of people in common if you're in the cities.

Like last year, you'd be good. I'd still apply to all the DA's offices.
MN and California DA culture are really, really different though. I recommend Sonoma. They're chillax, you're in a really amazing area, but the area is big enough that you probably won't run into your defendants that much. SF is a total nightmare.

If you want to practice banjo law, I am aware the Amador County DA is hiring right now.
Another option is the AG's office which was circuit prosecutors who handle DA conflicts and complex cases for local DAs offices. I have a friend who did environmental criminal prosecution in BFE for years and really liked it. The state is a bit more stable right now, particularly in an elected department.
The best resource for county jobs is: https://www.governmentjobs.com/ but you're best off trolling every county's website individually.

Yep, I'm in the cities (Hennepin). I joined the county attorney's office here in 2016. What's the California DA culture like? Minnesota is a lot different than Chicago, so I should be able to adjust again.

I've been a bit lazy about my job search. I'm going on paternity leave again next week, so my motivation to get sworn in and find a new job before that has been pretty low. DA offices and the AG are well suited for someone with my background (10~ years of prosecution), but maybe this is an opportunity to do something else. I have a place in the Bay Area and was aiming to go there, but we decided to just rent the place out and now I'm free to consider anywhere in California. I have an old friend/co-worker who is now prosecuting in LA, so who knows.

If you've joined the State, maybe I should switch sides too and complete the bizarro world picture.

Parmenides fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 23, 2020

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mr. Nice! posted:

If any of you 1099 bros have been impacted by covid, you're eligible for EIDL loans from the SBA equal to half your income from last year on a 30 year note at 3.75%. Some of these are forgivable, but they aren't processing those until they're done processing loans.

Also you may be eligible for PPP loans which can be completely forgiven equal to 2.5 your monthly gross.

I believe EIDL grants are forgivable up to $1000 per employee but it's a separate process than actually getting an SBA loan. For PPP money the new deadline is August 8th and can be forgivable if you use it for qualified expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

What sort of role?

Too doxxable.

Parmenides posted:

Yep, I'm in the cities (Hennepin). I joined the county attorney's office here in 2016. What's the California DA culture like? Minnesota is a lot different than Chicago, so I should be able to adjust again.

I've been a bit lazy about my job search. I'm going on paternity leave again next week, so my motivation to get sworn in and find a new job before that has been pretty low. DA offices and the AG are well suited for someone with my background (10~ years of prosecution), but maybe this is an opportunity to do something else. I have a place in the Bay Area and was aiming to go there, but we decided to just rent the place out and now I'm free to consider anywhere in California. I have an old friend/co-worker who is now prosecuting in LA, so who knows.

If you've joined the State, maybe I should switch sides too and complete the bizarro world picture.

With the caveat that my work in MN for both prosecution and defense was misdo level, so city attorneys only, I find the CA DAs offices very political. Now the good news is that most DAs offices are civil service (but not all of them, San Francisco is a major example) so you can't be fired if you're politically problematic, but they can send you to misdemeanors, parole violations, bad remote offices, etc. As an aside, for large counties (geographically), they will ask you where you are willing to work. Be very careful checking the boxes. If you don't check the box, you can't be sent to that office. If you do, enjoy your new 4 hour commute. You, are, however, less likely to be hired if not willing to work countywide.
CA seems to have a reputation is a a liberal hotspot, but that doesn't reflect in prosecution at many offices. I find they are much "tougher" even on petty rear end poo poo than Minnesota. Bail is substantially higher, sentences are significantly longer. I also find the DAs are far more likely to do unethical things. I theorize DAs offices often don't seem to focus enough on ethics (you will often find DAs called out for major ethics issues by the courts still employed and sometimes in supervisory roles) and because CA DA's offices tend to care about conviction rates, DAs will try to see what they can get away with.
I also generally have seen much less collegiality between the DAs and the defense bar (by which I mean PDs, private attorneys are annoying). We'd go out to drink with loving cops (admittedly mostly bailiffs) but (almost) never with the DAs. I think I'm facebook friends with 1 DA I worked with.
Admittedly I worked only at 3 different PDs offices, and they were also different in a variety of degrees to this. I suspect so cal, maybe with the exception of LA, is far far more like this. The central valley is very, very much like this. The bay and coastal counties will be chiller. Anything north of Sonoma, napa, yolo, sacramento is here be dragons country and can be anything from fascist, to legalize everything, to "maybe those sovcits are on to something," and sometime all of those.
The AGs are much more free to be yourself and if you decide you hate a type of law, you can switch to appeals or civil or anything.
Remember though if you come here now we're all last hired, first fired, so coming in financially weird times may be risky. The state didn't lay off any attorneys in 08, so it is generally a safer bet. We do have furloughs right now, which means a 6-7% pay cut in exchange for an extra 5 weeks of vacation.

I work for the state but don't do prosecution.