Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Randaconda posted:

What are little brothers for if you can't occasionally hit them with things? :smith:

(god forbid anybody else hit them, though :bahgawd:)
They're for blaming when you break poo poo. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I agree with this with one exception.

At least until all of the orange balls inevitably ended up missing.

I had this, sort of. The version I had was called Crossbows and Catapults

It was pretty fun, and the disks couldn't roll away

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

canyoneer posted:

One of my coworkers knows I'm into board games and asked about that game for her husband, as he has fond memories playing it with his brother as a kid. She asked me to find a copy. Turns out, there are plenty out there but you had better be prepared to pay dearly for them.

Instead I suggested she get Flick 'Em Up and they've been enjoying it. Shooting little wooden cowboys, because this town isn't big enough for the two of us

That's one where the font must be chosen carefully

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Scratch Monkey posted:

I had this as a kid. I don't think I ever actually played the game the way its supposed to be played I just shot stuff a lot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh, why?

You need it if one player does the thing (I can't even remember what it was) where they then have to receive 1 329 063$ because without the 1 329 063$ banknote there isn't enough play money in the bank.

I'm 99% sure the only thing you can do to get it is "be named Alfred E Neuman" and there is no way to get rid of it, so you could use any "can't win" chit that goes from player to player when they exchange money or seats

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Figures that a parody board game is probably one of the most fun of the lot.

Also, 'you win by getting rid of your stuff first' isn't really that weird, given it's the premise of a lot of card games.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://youtu.be/gLn6qG0xFOo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, 'you win by getting rid of your stuff first' isn't really that weird, given it's the premise of a lot of card games.

Game Of Life: Ascetic Edition

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

Someone I knew had this. I can't remember who, but I do remember double looping the rubber band on the ballista when no one was looking and just wrecking everything.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

I had some kind of second edition of this! It had these seige tower catapult things that had a spring loaded platform on top that trigger when a disc hit the front door. So of course you double banded that as well, so the figurine on top would fly a meter up into the air when it went off. It also had an elemental barrel system, so you could shoot a "fire" barrel, and put a cardboard ring of fire around where it landed, killing all figures it touched. Also came with some kind of ill-conceived ballista wagon that absolutely flew apart when hit.

It was far and away the greatest toy I ever owned as a kid.

edit: it was the Woolworths (rip) exclusive Master Battle Set. Can you believe a store had an exclusive version of a board game?

Bug Squash has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Jul 20, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

theflyingexecutive posted:

My friends and I discovered this game at an Airbnb:

Pie Face, the child’s Russian roulette simulator

My cousin's kids (and their dog) love that game but they cheat by holding on to the thing and letting it hit other people instead.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

How about y'all start a new thread for all your niche and obscure childhood board games, perhaps over in the forum dedicated to that kind of thing, and then the thread can get back to posting funny pictures?

Like these ones:

Bonus because this one actually seems intentional but is also amazing:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

A Dutch board game based on a public broadcaster's reality show about trying to run a bed and breakfast in a foreign country. It's loving awful, I bought it for two euros on clearance for Mr Ralph and I to have a laugh and I feel ripped off. You draw cards and go on a board. It's like Candyland without the whimsy and lacks the scheduanfraude of the show were you watch some idiot ruin their life trying to run a cafe in Greece.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bug Squash posted:

edit: it was the Woolworths (rip) exclusive Master Battle Set. Can you believe a store had an exclusive version of a board game?

This still happens. There are Target exclusive board games, including some good ones! (Like the Target exclusive 4 player version of Captain Sonar)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Figures that a parody board game is probably one of the most fun of the lot.

We had the Mad boardgame growing up, but also another MAD boardgame that I learned just now was Sweden only.

The Swedish edition of MAD made a parody of monopoly, called Götebörsen, basically "The gothen-exchange". Swedish monopoly takes place in Stockholm, this one was instead set in Gothenburg. Landing on a street owned by another player was no longer simply "pay and go on with your life", instead having you roll a d6 to determine which of the unique per street absurd outcomes would occur. Options included being eaten by seals, asking for the priest in a fish market (very shameful, don't ask) and getting hit by a tram and sued for damages (not suing). Definitely a better game than monopoly, and to my kid self hilarious.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

a kitten posted:

Huh, vague memories of playing, or trying to play lots of those weird board games. I think we'd pick them up at yard sales then find out they either sucked, or were missing key pieces.

Or both.

Had this one. Hit during the CB and "Smokey and the Bandit" craze.

AS I recall, it wasn't horrible. Sort of like LIFE only with cops and truckers.

This derail would make a cool thread tbh

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Randaconda posted:

this game owned

I only played the actual game a few times(basically a simpler D&D for kids) but the figures(especially the ones from the Frozen Horror expansion) were rad as hell.
EDIT: I had the set with the painted figures though.

Wait, what is even the correct answer here? It’s a paradox.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jul 20, 2020

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Ugh. Goddamn it. Here we go:

TMNT Pizza Power Game

40-Four Good Buddy

Mad Magazine Game

Omega Virus

Nightmare (IIRC, in the same series at Atmosfear):

The podcast still has a feed up on most podcast apps. I still see it on Stitcher, at least.

We covered most of the games ITT on Flip the Table. It's...depressing to me how many hours of my life I lost to this crap, but my loss is your gain. Dark Tower, though, was one we always wanted to get but couldn't. Working copies are apparently very rare and pretty expensive when they show up on eBay.

BiggerBoat posted:

I can start a thread about it, if people want. It would be a fun place to make fun of old, lovely games, but I also found some hidden gems over the years and even found some game mechanics I'd like to see in modern games, or ones just ahead of their time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

RatHat posted:

There is no correct answer but the answer is still not 0%

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

canyoneer posted:

This still happens. There are Target exclusive board games, including some good ones! (Like the Target exclusive 4 player version of Captain Sonar)

The Gloomhaven quasi-expansion was (is?) Target exclusive and it is stellar

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Had this one. Hit during the CB and "Smokey and the Bandit" craze.

AS I recall, it wasn't horrible. Sort of like LIFE only with cops and truckers.

How about a whole sub forum

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

RatHat posted:

It’s fake, but it is solvable.

B. The question never specified you had to choose A, B, C, or D, thus there are infinite possible random answers, even if only four have any chance of being correct.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iol3Xydcn4I

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Double Punctuation posted:

B. The question never specified you had to choose A, B, C, or D, thus there are infinite possible random answers, even if only four have any chance of being correct.

But that means 25% chance of guessing the right answer randomly, if there's an actual 0% chance of randomly guessing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Double Punctuation posted:

Even if there are infinite answers it still wouldn't be 0% though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's 25%.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

But there are 2 25% answers so then it'd be 50%. But then it'd be 25%. But then it'd be 50%.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RatHat posted:

But there are 2 25% answers so then it'd be 50%. But then it'd be 25%. But then it'd be 50%.

Which means it’s 0%... which makes it 25%. Which makes it 50. Which makes it 0. Which makes it :psyduck:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It'll be the one to solve this! The correct answer is!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I mean it's pretty loving simple, you just choose the other door.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, it's 25%.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I'm not saying people should stop posting old weird boardgames in the funny pictures thread - because these are awesome, keep posting them - but how do these not have their own thread too?

Content: A Buckaroo bootleg that we bought solely on the strength of its name, because our family is all about 8 years old when it comes to humor

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Since only one answer can be correct, it must be A or D, since they're the only ones that are 25%. So, assuming you preselected one of either A or D to be correct, there's no paradox.

But also it's just photoshopped.

Edit: To explain, take the four possibilities
1) A is correct. In this case, picking A is a 25% chance, meaning A is correct. This works.
2) B is correct. Since you have a 25% of picking B, and 25% is not 0%, this doesn't work.
3) C is correct. Since you have a 25% of picking C, and 50% is not 0%, this doesn't work.
3) D is correct. In this case, picking D is a 25% chance, meaning D is correct. This works.

As long as the question maker pre-decides that A or D is the correct answer, either works. A and D are both "the right" answer of 25%, but as anyone who has taken a poorly written test in school knows, multiple answers can be "the right answer" without being the correct one.

Piell has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jul 21, 2020

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
It's a paradox. I think it would be something like a 30% chance since there are only 3 actual choices (don't know the maths on how to account for two 25% options). But there is no 30%, so you would guess 0%, but then how can you win when you have a 0% chance of getting it right?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Piell posted:

Since only one answer can be correct, it must be A or D, since they're the only ones that are 25%. So, assuming you preselected one of either A or D to be correct, there's no paradox.

But also it's just photoshopped.

Edit: To explain, take the four possibilities
1) A is correct. In this case, picking A is a 25% chance, meaning A is correct. This works.
2) B is correct. Since you have a 25% of picking B, and 25% is not 0%, this doesn't work.
3) C is correct. Since you have a 25% of picking C, and 50% is not 0%, this doesn't work.
3) D is correct. In this case, picking D is a 25% chance, meaning D is correct. This works.

As long as the question maker pre-decides that A or D is the correct answer, either works. A and D are both "the right" answer of 25%, but as anyone who has taken a poorly written test in school knows, multiple answers can be "the right answer" without being the correct one.

That's not how probabilities work. Probabilities rely on having all of the information, even after the fact, and not on the perception of the chooser. There are two chances to get the correct answer of 25%, giving you a 50% probability of selecting that answer regardless of what anybody knows.

This is why switching doors at the game show is flawed as well. Probabilities don't change with perception. They are rooted in having all information available as inputs to the equation.

Meme.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's not how probabilities work. Probabilities rely on having all of the information, even after the fact, and not on the perception of the chooser. There are two chances to get the correct answer of 25%, giving you a 50% probability of selecting that answer regardless of what anybody knows.

This is why switching doors at the game show is flawed as well. Probabilities don't change with perception. They are rooted in having all information available as inputs to the equation.

Meme.

Ah, but if the answer is A, then D is wrong, because the scantron is only coded to mark A as correct, and therefore A is indeed the correct answer as you have a 25% chance of selecting A. D is wrong because the answer is A.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Piell posted:

Ah, but if the answer is A, then D is wrong, because the scantron is only coded to mark A as correct, and therefore A is indeed the correct answer as you have a 25% chance of selecting A.

Wtf scantrons are you using that look like that

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

The Maestro posted:

Wtf scantrons are you using that look like that

It's an analogy to make it easier to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s not a paradox, it’s a busybox