Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Since every case has to have an idiotic PSU shroud these days, mATX cases have a lot more trouble with GPU heat being trapped between the card and shroud. A standard board where the GPU is in slot #2 then only has 2 slots airspace under the GPU.

Yet another thing that's not a flaw of mATX itself, but a flaw in stupid consumer trends that mATX is worse affected by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Do we know if B550 and/or X570 boards will need a BIOS update to boot with Zen 3 CPUs when they come out? That could kind of be a pain in the rear end for people doing new builds if they do.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I keep thinking I want ITX or MATX, but once I start planning the build and looking at everything I want to fit into the case and looking at motherboard features I keep going back to regular ATX. Even lots of modern ATX cases have trouble fitting 6+ hdds/ssds, many expect you to have an m.2 and maybe a couple of 2.5 inch ssds and not much else.

ITX is fantastic for family members though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dramicus posted:

I keep thinking I want ITX or MATX, but once I start planning the build and looking at everything I want to fit into the case and looking at motherboard features I keep going back to regular ATX. Even lots of modern ATX cases have trouble fitting 6+ hdds/ssds, many expect you to have an m.2 and maybe a couple of 2.5 inch ssds and not much else.

ITX is fantastic for family members though.

Define 7 XL.

Not cheap but Fractal Design build quality is amazing. Only annoying thing is the official HDD trays are out of stock, so you get the two that come in the box and right now if you want more you need to modify trays from a different model. They've been out of stock for months and Fractal seemingly gives no fucks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 17, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"6+ HDDs/SSDs" is a pretty specific and nonstandard requirement, why aren't you stuffing those disks into a NAS or home server box?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

orcane posted:

"6+ HDDs/SSDs" is a pretty specific and nonstandard requirement, why aren't you stuffing those disks into a NAS or home server box?

Yeah at that point get a Synology or similar box.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

Most of that isn't for general storage, it's for stuff that runs locally. My computer also basically doubles as home server since it's always on. I have a drive shared over the network that everyone puts their stuff on.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Define 7 XL.

Not cheap but Fractal Design build quality is amazing. Only annoying thing is the official HDD trays are out of stock, so you get the two that come in the box and right now if you want more you need to modify trays from a different model. They've been out of stock for months and Fractal seemingly gives no fucks.

Oh nice, it says 18 + 5 drives. That's perfect. I doubt I will ever get to the point of filling that up.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 17, 2020

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Once you're deep into the rabbit hole of home server stuff, I think you're better served by seperating your server from your game/workstation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LRADIKAL posted:

Once you're deep into the rabbit hole of home server stuff, I think you're better served by seperating your server from your game/workstation.

especially as gaming rigs tend to dump a lot of heat into the case which is really bad for the drives. Drive life starts nosediving above about 65C.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Unless your gaming rig is a VM :getin:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
My phanteks full tower case fits an excessive number of drives and came with a ton of drive cages built in. I think by default it can fit 6 HDD/SSDs plus another 3x 2.5"-only mounts without needing to modify anything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Phanteks phor lyphe :colbert:

I really like their stuff

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

I have a 3960X with 2 RTX Titans I use as both a workstation and game desktop. I initially considered having a separate PC for gaming but the Threadripper/Titan combo is great for handling both.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Except your server goes down every time you system update, or game instability crashes your server, or games interfere with your transcoder, or if you want your PC to be quiet, but it had tons of spinning rust.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

future ghost posted:

My phanteks full tower case fits an excessive number of drives and came with a ton of drive cages built in. I think by default it can fit 6 HDD/SSDs plus another 3x 2.5"-only mounts without needing to modify anything.

Yeah, I have a P600S and it comes with 4 drive cages but can hold 10 total. I love this case and wish Steve at GN would review it because it's basically just a better version of the P500A. It has the same internal layout but with removable magnetic front and top panels so you can switch between high airflow or noise dampening depending on what you're doing. And I think it looks nicer.

e: oh, yeah, and that is not counting the 3 SSD mounts so it can hold 13 drives total

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 18, 2020

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Are mITX AM4 motherboards abnormally expensive right now? Availability seems really low and prices high.

I'm looking at a Ryzen 3600 paired with a B550 board, but even with the availability craziness it sounds like there are compatibility issues according to some reviews. This love of mITX form factor is a cruel mistress.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Maybe but electronics are rough right now anyway due to supply chain issues.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggyolk posted:

Are mITX AM4 motherboards abnormally expensive right now? Availability seems really low and prices high.

I'm looking at a Ryzen 3600 paired with a B550 board, but even with the availability craziness it sounds like there are compatibility issues according to some reviews. This love of mITX form factor is a cruel mistress.

everything is abnormally expensive right now, supply chains are turbofucked and haven't recovered and demand is incredibly high. OEMs are saying PC demand is at 2009 levels (when everyone was doing the vista changeover and upgrading from potato 2gb windows XP machines) and doesn't show signs of slowing.

power supplies, webcams, monitors, etc - all completely hosed and drastically more expensive than they were 6 months ago.

stuff that is normally low volume like mITX is probably taking the brunt of that, there just isn't much inventory in channel to absorb that shock until they can get more made.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

Except your server goes down every time you system update, or game instability crashes your server, or games interfere with your transcoder, or if you want your PC to be quiet, but it had tons of spinning rust.

I wanted to toss everything into one UBER BOX (not quite gaming + serving, but more like network stuff), but decided against it because I didn't want my network to go down for exactly those reasons.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sincx posted:

Man I'm so happy I upgraded to a 3900X back in February.

I feel like I just managed to squeak by under the wire - built a whole new system around a 3600X in April and had no problems with ordering. Then I bought a monitor and that was a little more difficult but I got one I'm really happy with. Then in May I decided I also needed to upgrade my GPU and holy hell that was a pain in the rear end, nothing staying in stock and things on backorder everywhere. I feel like if I had delayed on building the system it could have turned into a general clusterfuck, and I seriously lucked out on the timing.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The other day I discovered the Udoo Bolt V8. It's a really neat (and to me, compelling) idea, but I don't wanna pay $400+ for Zen 1 cores.

It would be lovely if AMD decided to refresh the Ryzen embedded line once Zen 3 is out, and if someone built a tiny board around them as well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LRADIKAL posted:

If you’re like that dude with two Titans, you just use GPU Passthrough and spin up your gaming OS as a VM with one GPU, and leave the other on the host OS for transcoding. Your “gaming rig” restarts in about five seconds and causes zero server downtime.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 18, 2020

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

If you’re like that dude with two Titans, you just use GPU Passthrough and spin up your gaming OS as a VM with one GPU, and leave the other on the host OS for transcoding. Your “gaming rig” restarts in about five seconds and causes zero server downtime.

Or run a bare metal hypervisor and have both gaming and transcoding in VMs. That's in the realm of possibility now on mainstream PCs with high core counts and IOMMU.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

mdxi posted:

The other day I discovered the Udoo Bolt V8. It's a really neat (and to me, compelling) idea, but I don't wanna pay $400+ for Zen 1 cores.

It would be lovely if AMD decided to refresh the Ryzen embedded line once Zen 3 is out, and if someone built a tiny board around them as well.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the embedded stuff. New SKUs based on Zen 1 are still freshly coming out, which is weak. All that stuff already had a 1-2 year lead time from the desktop launch, too.

It's gonna get really fun when the more competent stuff hits.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

There's rumors that AM4 socketed Renoir parts will be released on Tuesday, the 21st. There's also rumors that they will initially be OEM-only (which is to say, the PRO models).

Part of me would grumble about that, because I really want to rebuild my desktop, which is currently a seconded 1600. But part of me would be fine with it because of the irksome lack of product line updates from AMD, and anything at all happening is better than another week of the rumormill circlejerk and cinebench leaks from Asia.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I was pretty much done for with mITX but the Coolermaster NR200 has me thinking of making the switch back, appreciably smaller than MicroITX but enough space for cooling, drives + reasonable price.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

That guy keeps saying USD60 in his video, but it's on pre-order for $80 at Amazon and B&H, and doesn't show up at all at Newegg :(

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

mdxi posted:

That guy keeps saying USD60 in his video, but it's on pre-order for $80 at Amazon and B&H, and doesn't show up at all at Newegg :(

Not out until Mid-Aug apparently. And yeah it's $80, which is still a good price imo.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

mdxi posted:

In the video comments he says he was told it was $60, either way it looks like a great case even at $80. A larger, budget version of the Ncase M1.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

RE: discussion how on certain boards using the m2 slots "uses up" 2 SATA ports instead of one, is that also true if its an NVME drive?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

RE: discussion how on certain boards using the m2 slots "uses up" 2 SATA ports instead of one, is that also true if its an NVME drive?

Yes -- the Ryzen CPU itself has an IO interface that provides either 1 4x PCIe link or 2 sata ports, flexibly chosen at boot by the bios. So for the B_50 boards that only have 4 sata ports from the chipset itself, they can look at the m.2 slot and if it is in use tell the CPU to go nvme, but perforce must turn off the 2 satas.

And that m.2 slot consumes both sata ports even if you use a sata m.2 drive, when theoretically you could have those 2 CPU sata ports go to the m.2 and sata 5. I would guess that's a wiring issue where having traces that either go to the m.2 or sata 5 is not feasible.

Since that m.2 slot is hooked directly to the CPU it is theoretically "the best" for your fastest nvme drive, though it doesn't really matter.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The primary NVMe slot is directly connected to the CPU (although with B550/PCI-e 4.0 it can also be split into 2x PCI-e 4.0 and 2x SATA), the one that usually shuts off SATA devices is the one hanging off the chipset. B550 example:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

orcane posted:

The primary NVMe slot is directly connected to the CPU (although with B550/PCI-e 4.0 it can also be split into 2x PCI-e 4.0 and 2x SATA), the one that usually shuts off SATA devices is the one hanging off the chipset. B550 example:

Something to keep in mind is that not all B550 boards offer every combination shown there to actually use on their boards. Every B550 board I've seen exclusively offers the x4 NVMe Gen4 on the 1st M.2 slot and doesn't offer 2x SATA + x2 NVMe Gen4 or 2x2 NVMe Gen4 as options at all. It looks like 2nd M.2 slots run exclusively off the 3.0 lanes on the boards that are actually for sale.

With the PCie 3.0 lanes from the chipset the board makers are all over the place, they all shuffle those differently to work around the limitations of the chipset, with no consistency whatsoever. Some shut down PCie slots if you populate the second M.2 slot, some runt the second M.2 slot at x2 instead of the normal x4, some deactivate SATA lanes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Awesome;

thanks for the info comrades

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

when I first did my B450 build I was wondering why my Blu-Ray drive wasn't showing up and thought it was a bad cable, took apart the whole computer before realising that both the SATA ports I was trying to get it to work in were disabled thanks to my m.2 drive :sweatdrop: in my defence my old Z97 board only disabled the last port so I thought the newer platform would be much the same, oops

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

Awesome;

thanks for the info comrades

The important thing before you buy is to read the fine print on the board specs, because there is no hard and fast rule for "Use X slot, Y is disabled" across board makers. They all juggle it differently, unless its X570 in which case go hog wild.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sean10mm posted:

The important thing before you buy is to read the fine print on the board specs, because there is no hard and fast rule for "Use X slot, Y is disabled" across board makers. They all juggle it differently, unless its X570 in which case go hog wild.

Assuming the manuals aren’t complete poo poo, the block diagram in there is the best way to check, followed by having to actually read the manual to confirm.

Don’t trust the website specs if you want to be 100% sure, especially with mobos with a ton of SKUs — marketing people probably copy pasted and may have missed something.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1285323076650127367

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-to-announce-ryzen-7-4700g-ryzen-5-4600g-and-ryzen-3-4300g-for-oem-systems

quote:

Tomorrow AMD will introduce three Ryzen processors featuring Renoir silicon adopted for the AM4 desktop socket. This will be AMD’s first 7nm APU series and first to feature 8 cores and 16 threads.

The flagship model Ryzen 7 4700G will be clocked at 3.6 and 4.4 GHz for base and turbo respectively. This model has 12MB of cache and 8 Graphics Cores (512 Stream Processors). The GPU will be clocked at 2.1 GHz.

A model with 6 cores and 12 threads is be called Ryzen 5 4600G. This is the same part that we know from previous leaks as 4400G, so in this regard the rumors were true, AMD did change the naming. The same applies to 4200G, which will launch as Ryzen 3 4300G.

The Ryzen 5 4600G will have a base clock of 3.7 GHz and boost up to 4.2 GHz. Unlike the 8-core model, this processor will rely on 7 Graphics Cores. The 4300G on the other hand will offer 4 cores and 8 threads. It will be accompanied by 6 Graphics Cores.

As expected, AMD will also launch the GE series with a TDP of 35W. Naturally, these parts will have lower clocks than 65W models. The Ryzen 5 4600GE looks like an interesting option (same turbo and same GPU clock) but with 30W less.

AMD has confirmed through the slides that the Ryzen 4000G series is for ‘Pre-built OEM systems’. It is unclear if the series will be offered for the consumer market.

lmaooooooooooooooo