Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shaocaholica posted:

Are people still quadrupling down on the virus is a hoax or have they all pivoted to it’s just a cold?

I feel like all the patriots in the ICU need to be recognized for standing up to communism and not wearing masks.

#ICUpatriots

#VentilateCommunism
I am still seeing a lot of right-wingers saying "It's just the flu"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
What is the cheapest way to mail 10 or so 'surgical' masks to a friend and one of my brothers? I put them in a gallon Ziplock, but might take them out of that because it probably weighs as much as the masks. Thanks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am still seeing a lot of right-wingers saying "It's just the flu"

Photo of lifeless ICU patient with a maga hat on and a sign that says “it’s just the flu I’ll be OK”

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's really hard to get up-to-date info, it looks like it's been trickling in by dribs and drabs with no real centralised attempt to collect accurate up to date info. Not that anyone should be surprised by that.
Here's the stats broken down into age demographics from the data they'd collected as of June 17 (which seems to be incomplete even then), to give you an indication. Current US deaths are about 40k higher so multiply the values by 1.4 for a rough indication of where they'd be now.

..... so there's maybe been about three dozen kids 14 and under who have died in the US so far.

That page collates the death certificates, the data is often up to 8 weeks late and is never up-to-date

Yeah this is the one I found but like you said it only goes up to June and doesn't really break down to schoolkids-- 15-24 has three years in there that are still school age.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

First class postage is up to 1 oz, which is the same weight as 4 US quarters. The maximum allowable envelope size is quite large. Put some card stock in there so the envelope isn't too lumpy and won't get eaten by the sorting machine

Source: used to mail my cousins mix CDs in the 1990s

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Kids very rarely die from corona, but it's another story for the adults and elders they'll transmit it to at home.

UK government tried to push schools to open too and all the teachers unions came out and said it was dumb as poo poo and a bunch of schools just refused to open so that at least got pushed back till september. it's good to always be aware that the government want the populace to die though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Mithaldu posted:

You're all gonna get autism, then become programmers and put both apple and microsoft out of business.

Seriously, good luck. :/

Funny part it's that we used to be extremely hardcore on vaccinating for everything. Measles and tuberculosis were nearly eradicated, but then came less interest from a couple of governments from vaccinating (they needed to steal money from somewhere), then better access to the internet and better access to antivaxx idiocy. So, in current days we have outbreaks from illnesses that had been already controlled.

Blah.

This world sucks rear end.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Hadlock posted:

First class postage is up to 1 oz, which is the same weight as 4 US quarters. The maximum allowable envelope size is quite large. Put some card stock in there so the envelope isn't too lumpy and won't get eaten by the sorting machine

Source: used to mail my cousins mix CDs in the 1990s

Thanks, will 2 stamps get me two oz, that would probably work and only cost a buck.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Michael Corleone posted:

What is the cheapest way to mail 10 or so 'surgical' masks to a friend and one of my brothers? I put them in a gallon Ziplock, but might take them out of that because it probably weighs as much as the masks. Thanks.

I put mine all in individual bags even the thin surgical ones. The surgical ones (hiding on the right) I put 10 individual bags into one bigger quart bag.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I work with a lady who has a dad in his late 80s. She said today "he says it's a hoax or at most, the flu. He never wears a mask".

Staunch Trump voter who loves everything right wing.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Shaocaholica posted:

I put mine all in individual bags even the thin surgical ones. The surgical ones (hiding on the right) I put 10 individual bags into one bigger quart bag.

Thanks, but that seems really excessive on your end. I washed my hands before touching anything and just grabbed a handful of masks and put them in 1 bag each, for both of them, they don't live anywhere near each other. I told them both to take them out of whatever I mail it in, sanitize the bag and then wear them because I was sanitary when packing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Michael Corleone posted:

Thanks, but that seems really excessive on your end. I washed my hands before touching anything and just grabbed a handful of masks and put them in 1 bag each, for both of them, they don't live anywhere near each other. I told them both to take them out of whatever I mail it in, sanitize the bag and then wear them because I was sanitary when packing.

Yeah it was just more of a precaution because I sent out quite a few masks in case they needed to quickly give one to another friend etc. etc.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah it was just more of a precaution because I sent out quite a few masks in case they needed to quickly give one to another friend etc. etc.

No problem. Mine were sitting here for over a week so I knew they were safe to open. I call them 'surgical' because they were like 40 cents each and I have another pack off 100 coming in early September that cost a total of $15.12 with shipping (free) and tax. Amazon reserves the real ones for MP's but they just come in a 320 count and have smells, like berries or whatever you want? Can a MediGoon tell us the difference between what we can get and a REAL surgical mask, thanks!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I probably wouldn't do that these days with cheap masks a plenty. This was way back when they were impossible to find.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FoolyCharged posted:

The really funny thing about the people who fixate on China as The Source(tm) is that I'm pretty sure the us is dealing with a mutated strain out of Europe so blaming the Chinese makes even less sense.

Trump blames them for blindsiding the US with Corona (which is sort of true), but the US has been aware of it for months now and they're still being "blindsided" by common knowledge. Turning the virus into a political issue to divide the nation is not something that can be blamed on China.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blistex posted:

Trump blames them for blindsiding the US with Corona (which is sort of true), but the US has been aware of it for months now and they're still being "blindsided" by common knowledge. Turning the virus into a political issue to divide the nation is not something that can be blamed on China.

Eh, is it really true though? We got to watch it ravage China, most of Europe, and a small subset of our country before all this open er up nonsense happened and all hell broke loose. We had all the warning in the fuckin world and plenty of examples on what worked and what didnt.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol what the hell

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1285299379746811915?s=20

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Texas border hospital workers reporting appalling conditions in a covid ward so the main hospital can continue to offer elective surgeries:

https://archive.is/Qaadg

Allegedly patients with ants on them, people dying because there aren't enough staff to switch oxygen bottles around or even provide patients with oxygen, etc.

I'm curious for media followup because I try to read screenshots/twitter posts with some cynicism, but this is a very poor area so I wouldn't be surprised.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I hope all these right wingers who don't wear masks absolutely cough all the gently caress over those decrepit white, racist, barely-sentient raisins in government.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was doubling down on his "It'll just disappear one day" idea in the Fox interview, he no doubt thinks that a vaccine is just a waste of money. He used to be pretty strongly anti-vaxx and used to tweet about vaccines causing autism a LOT but he's quietened down on all that since he became Prez.

E: the most famous one
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/449525268529815552?lang=en

Yeah, I saw that and WELP

Every loving day this ghoul draws breath is an affront to humanity as a whole.

gently caress I hate this piece of poo poo. He's hosed us over multiple times and just keeps getting worse.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Look at this weak deep state cuckbird

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Michael Corleone posted:

Can a MediGoon tell us the difference between what we can get and a REAL surgical mask, thanks!

I'm not a medigoon, but my wife works in a cath lab in a heart hospital that is "clean" in that all patients are tested prior to their procedures (stints, etc). An actual surgical mask is nothing more than the pleated paper masks like stores are handing out for people without masks. I would argue they are probably not as good as a decently made cloth mask because even clean shaven, there's going to be small gaps along the edge. Better than nothing at all, but they'd be one of my last choices. They look like this stack on my counter. I keep one in all the vehicles in the case I get somewhere and have forgotten my cloth mask:

However, most of the doctors, nurses and xray techs (including my wife) are wearing custom-fitted N95 duckbill masks instead of the traditional surgical mask.

My wife's looks similar to this, but she had to go in early March and get fitted so it seals really well. A downside is mask acne, but it's better than death.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 20, 2020

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Hazo posted:

Yeah this is the one I found but like you said it only goes up to June and doesn't really break down to schoolkids-- 15-24 has three years in there that are still school age.

Also doesn't reflect the rates at which different groups get infected, not that that data is necessarily available. If children have gotten infected more or less than other groups their death rates would presumably be affected correspondingly.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Parkour!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I've been riding high on Trump lols for almost 4 years and still can't get enough.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
it's me, your favorite president

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The communist satanists got to Trump too!

naem
May 29, 2011

is he finally pushing for masks? please?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"go ahead and call it the china virus all you want sir, if it means you'll wear the loving mask" was definitely uttered in the white house today

naem
May 29, 2011

please put up trump propaganda posters that read MASKS OWN THE LIBS or whatever the gently caress it takes in florida etc

naem
May 29, 2011

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN on a rebel flag mask, I don’t care PLEASE JUST DO SOMETHING pls thnks

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Huh, I wondered what Boomer Bane would look like.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

naem posted:

please put up trump propaganda posters that read MASKS OWN THE LIBS CHINESE or whatever the gently caress it takes in florida etc

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

naem posted:

is he finally pushing for masks? please?

We've gone full circle to the beginning of the year when we made fun of chuds for wearing masks

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm guessing Trumps campaign is testing the waters to see how the polls react to him wearing/being a proponent of wearing a mask. If his poll numbers go up with a few "mask-wearing" tests/tweets, then they'll jump on board 110% and state he was "for" mask wearing all along. He's flaming out horribly right now, and will need to do something in order to even have a shot a re-election.

edit - remember he canned/demoted his campaign manager mid last week, so I won't be surprised if the new manager is trying this out to see how it reflects in polls.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Orange Man good now?!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Only if someone wants to render his rear end fat into 80lbs of the smelliest, greasiest, most stain-inducing soap ever created.

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, is it really true though? We got to watch it ravage China, most of Europe, and a small subset of our country before all this open er up nonsense happened and all hell broke loose. We had all the warning in the fuckin world and plenty of examples on what worked and what didnt.

They did suppress info about it until possibly February, but yeah the writing was on the wall for anyone to see a while before that.

Like I said in the China thread. Xi could have gotten on his knees and unloaded everything he knew back in December, including video footage from the future, and Trump wouldn't have done anything differently.

Another thing that gets missed is that China intentionally bought up and hoarded PPE back when they knew what this really was and while everyone else was still in the dark.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 20, 2020

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So I work at a nationwide retail chain. It's pretty Big and has Lots of stuff. We've been waiting to find out if we're jumping in the "Masks manditory for customers" pool all week. There was a suddenly announced conference call monday, so I was thinking it was time. But no, just whining about metrics.

Today they finally announced next week we're mandating masks for customers. Sort of.

We're to tell customers they must have a mask to come in. If they don't have one, we'll give them one.
We're also forbidden from turning anyone away if they tell us to get hosed.

Explain to me what the loving point is here. Because it just looks like they're wanting to seem to be on the right side of this, without actually annoying any customers for realsies. They did the same poo poo with suspending returns during the lockdown era. We got to refuse them all, but corporate folded after a month or so "Due to increased customer complains"

I had been pretty impressed by our company's response to all this early on, but they've just been giving the gently caress up along with the rest of the country since stimulus. I live with my 77 y/o father with COPD, and I'm pretty nervous about bringing this poo poo home thanks to Indiana's anti-mask morons.

And from a purely job satisfaction outlook, this is like taking away christmas. You guys have no idea how fun it is to finally tell customers "No" and get backed up all the way. I for one was looking forward to stopping motherfuckers at the door.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Blistex posted:

The correct move is to be angry at both the CCP and Trump administration (among others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Enos Shenk posted:

So I work at a nationwide retail chain. It's pretty Big and has Lots of stuff. We've been waiting to find out if we're jumping in the "Masks manditory for customers" pool all week. There was a suddenly announced conference call monday, so I was thinking it was time. But no, just whining about metrics.

Today they finally announced next week we're mandating masks for customers. Sort of.

We're to tell customers they must have a mask to come in. If they don't have one, we'll give them one.
We're also forbidden from turning anyone away if they tell us to get hosed.

Explain to me what the loving point is here. Because it just looks like they're wanting to seem to be on the right side of this, without actually annoying any customers for realsies. They did the same poo poo with suspending returns during the lockdown era. We got to refuse them all, but corporate folded after a month or so "Due to increased customer complains"

I had been pretty impressed by our company's response to all this early on, but they've just been giving the gently caress up along with the rest of the country since stimulus. I live with my 77 y/o father with COPD, and I'm pretty nervous about bringing this poo poo home thanks to Indiana's anti-mask morons.

And from a purely job satisfaction outlook, this is like taking away christmas. You guys have no idea how fun it is to finally tell customers "No" and get backed up all the way. I for one was looking forward to stopping motherfuckers at the door.

I'm a manager at a nationwide chain that is prettty intelligent about animals??? It's a humongously granular problem, because national chains rolling out mandatory mask rules immediately butts up against your local populace. I'm roughly 2 hours north of NYC and a common "I'm getting the gently caress out of this hellhole" relocation city, so 95% of people are taking it very seriously and I very rarely, if ever, need to confront someone about skirting the policy. We have a table right as you walk in with free masks for anyone who doesn't have one with a sign stating that you need to wear one if you expect customer service. Our guests just do it.

The Walmart next door to us though, gets a very large portion of the other 5% of the demographic, to the point that they hired third-party private security to stand outside the door with free masks, turfing the gently caress out of anyone who insists on coming in without face covering.

This only works because it's a blue area of New York.

Those same policies, 2 hours west of us? Nice try, don't get shot by a deranged idiot, please.