Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

Here's a few reddit posts I've read that gave me cause for doubt

Weird. I've used Army Painter's black, white, brown, silver and I think even a purple and I've never had problems - be it on plastic GW minis or metal Privateer Press ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

"Okay well you've done three minis with the flagstone bases and it seems pretty straightforward, so now it's time for the keeper of secrets. It's the same but bigger, how much harder could it be?"

It turns out FOUR FULL HOURS HARDER AND IT STILL LOOKS WORSE

i dunno its looking pretty good to me

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

Thank you everyone for the response! I plan on priming with leadbelcher then maybe trying an ink or contrast color to make the mini a metalic purple.

Inks are great for that. The new contrast paints work much the same way (and add shading at the same time). I’d consider looking at those too. I’m sure you can find examples of people using them over leadbelcher. Shyish purple is pretty dark though, but there are others. Pre-shading can look great either way.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Army painter brown spray is my go-to undercoat for all sorts of things

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

Thank you everyone for the response! I plan on priming with leadbelcher then maybe trying an ink or contrast color to make the mini a metalic purple.

I thought the exact same thing, even after briefly trying the macragge blue spray can from citadel years ago. I found when googling this question that most people do not believe they're good primers because Citadel themselves used to say it's a "basecoat" spray, and that it went over an undercoat.

Here's a few reddit posts I've read that gave me cause for doubt

Reddit is stupid. The sprays all have acetone in them, they're fine primers. Honestly, on plastic you can paint without primer if you really need to anyways.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kind of a weird question about Airbrush painting environments:

I plan to put a cardboard box on my window-adjacent desk with a hole cut out and a fan between the box and the window for an exhaust.

I'll be wearing a respirator for my own protection, but should I close the doors too?

I live alone, except for my needy rear end dogs who don't like being locked out of whatever room I'm in.

I can't imagine they'll lay down / hang out in the painting room. I think they'll be happy just knowing they can come bother me whenever they want. But how much should I be concerned for their lungs? Close the door and force them to get used to it, I suppose?

Obligatory dog tax;

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
I have painted a Thing, and I'm now trying to work out what to paint other bits of the same Thing. Advice/preferences/alternative suggestions very much welcome.

Here's the Thing - it's a Ghanaian kente cloth pattern.

(if anyone wants a how-to on that pattern, I have a million WIP shots and diagrams so I could write it up in detail)

Trying to work out what I should do with the other two layers of the cloth. I reckon I can manage a fairly complicated pattern in the middle layer, as it's pretty flat and simple, but I'm looking at the cloth folds around the top layer with some trepidation (and dislike of CAD-sculpted cloth as it doesn't actually seem to make physical sense in places) so I'm probably going to wuss out and paint that layer a solid colour or with some minimal edge patterning.

Currently thinking something green for the middle layer to contrast with the bottom but still be colourful. A few pattern ideas:

And some mockups of colours for the top. I'm leaning something lighter, just to avoid dominating the model too much, so maybe the yellow or lavender, or a pale blue.

Alternatively, white with a bright orange trim pattern might work, but is a bit harder to mock up.

Just for reference on what colours are present on the rest of the model so far, the body and armour look like this:

The shoulderpad will likely be NMM gold, there's a bit of the outer cloak at his neck to paint, and I'll probably match the waist sash to that colour.

And the inside of the cloak is a dark blue:

What works best for people? Any other cool ideas? The existing pattern is already pretty loud so I'm not afraid to make it bright and gaudy as heck.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That looks awesome, and of the four options, the pale green by far looks least like it’s fighting the pattern for my attention

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

jesus WEP posted:

That looks awesome, and of the four options, the pale green by far looks least like it’s fighting the pattern for my attention

Agreed. I'd go with the yellow for the top layer of cloth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PinheadSlim posted:

Crashing the thread to see what people think of those spray cans of paint that Army Painter and Citadel put out. Primarily if you can prime with them. I've heard and seen so many different answers to this question that I don't know what to believe.

Thinking about some metallic silver spray cans so I can paint tons of metal themed miniatures without getting those glittery bits stuck in my brushes.

They work fine, but Army Painter rattlecans are by far some of the most noxious paint I've ever smelled. Tamiya I can do indoors with little issue. Citadel is fine outdoors. I don't even like using Army Painter outdoors because the smell invades everything. It'll get in through some crevice and stink up the inside of your home. Nasty stuff.

Good results though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Krylon/Rustoleum cans work just as well for cheaper, and they have a Primer+Paint combined line. I have an airbrush but a lot of the time Ill use cans because it is so much quicker. No small detail loss that I notice.

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 20, 2020

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Yeah, Krylon white primer is fantastic stuff and i've never had a problem with clumping or chalkiness, even in 90F/35C heat with 50%+ humidity.

For reference:

That's just spray primer, except the skull has Skeleton Horde contrast on it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
apparently im learning to sculpt now

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Got a before pic, by any chance?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Making and gluing icicles on your frozen themed big dudes: worth it? Or just asking for stuff to be instantly torn off the moment you take em out to play or even move rotate them in place

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Dienes posted:

Got a before pic, by any chance?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Sab669 posted:

Other than the Badger not being in stock today, any feedback before I pull the trigger? :ohdear:

I’m excited to hear how this goes

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

darnon posted:

You don't really need the filter/water trap and you don't have a regulator to adjust pressure. Something like one of the Master Airbrush kits gives you a compressor with tank and regulator, hose, airbrush holder, and decent-ish second airbrush. Get a quick disconnect with a selection of male fittings and you can swap between both easily.

Also a good post.

It’s exciting to see so many goods get into air brushing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Still have another week on shipping, sadly :( I actually scraped that order in the screenshot there and just got an All In One kit someone else suggested.

But yea, I'm very excited to get it. My Plague burst Crawlers should arrive tomorrow. I think I'm going to wait for my Poxwalkers to arrive before I do any sort of painting though, I won't care if they come out lovely.

On a related note, what fluids do I need other than Vallejo Flow Improver? Some videos suggest specific cleaning products, others say isopropyl or fingernail polish remover are both fine.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Sab669 posted:

Still have another week on shipping, sadly :( I actually scraped that order in the screenshot there and just got an All In One kit someone else suggested.

But yea, I'm very excited to get it. My Plague burst Crawlers should arrive tomorrow. I think I'm going to wait for my Poxwalkers to arrive before I do any sort of painting though, I won't care if they come out lovely.

On a related note, what fluids do I need other than Vallejo Flow Improver? Some videos suggest specific cleaning products, others say isopropyl or fingernail polish remover are both fine.

I don't have an airbrush, but from past experience working with solvents: don't use nail varnish remover for cleaning, it can have moisturiser and other things that you don't want in it. The active ingredient is acetone. Acetone is a more aggressive cleaner than alcohol, although it's still fairly mild. Try not to get too much of it on your skin (although I used to know chemists who washed their hands in the stuff).

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
At present isopropyl alcohol can be hard to come by (and kind of stinks). Ammonia-free glass cleaner is a common alternative to branded airbrush cleaner and both work decently well. You can get a fancy wash bottle for squirting it out of or a cheapie condiment squeeze bottle works. Q-tips are also handy for cleaning out the paint cup.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sab669 posted:

Kind of a weird question about Airbrush painting environments:

I plan to put a cardboard box on my window-adjacent desk with a hole cut out and a fan between the box and the window for an exhaust.

I'll be wearing a respirator for my own protection, but should I close the doors too?

I live alone, except for my needy rear end dogs who don't like being locked out of whatever room I'm in.

I can't imagine they'll lay down / hang out in the painting room. I think they'll be happy just knowing they can come bother me whenever they want. But how much should I be concerned for their lungs? Close the door and force them to get used to it, I suppose?

Obligatory dog tax;

As long as you're spraying acrylics, and the dogs aren't up in your biz constantly, and you've got a form of active ventilation, you're about as good as you can get. If you ever move on to spraying lacquers or enamels, then you'll want to keep them out of the room. Keep your own mask on regardless - while acrylics aren't particularly nasty, reducing your general inhaled particulate level is a good idea all around.

All the pets in my house don't like being around my compressor when it's running anyway, so there's a fair chance they won't want to hang out while you're painting regardless.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; nevermind i found them

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 21, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can't remember if I actually posted this here before, I might have, but I took some new prettier photos of it and I'm quite happy with the model :unsmith: The idea behind this scheme came from the Prophet of Cogs bit of lore, where a rogue mechanicus dude raises an “undead” army of scrapped machines.

Got some thoughts and extra pics over on a new blog I set up to cope with pandemic cabin fever.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 22, 2020

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
That weathering and rust looks :eyepop: spectacular. (Really just all of it)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ijyt posted:

I can't remember if I actually posted this here before, I might have, but I took some new prettier photos of it and I'm quite happy with the model :unsmith:

Got some thoughts and extra pics over on a new blog I set up to cope with pandemic cabin fever.

hot drat that looks fantastic. Great work!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thank you both!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ijyt posted:

I can't remember if I actually posted this here before, I might have, but I took some new prettier photos of it and I'm quite happy with the model :unsmith: The idea behind this scheme came from the Prophet of Cogs bit of lore, where a rogue mechanicus dude raises an “undead” army of scrapped machines.

Amazing! I love more realistic finishes on sci-fi vehicles.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
well, my sculpting left alot to be desired but i guess its hard to tell

e: also, black hair is hard AS gently caress to paint

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 22, 2020

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

e: also, black hair is hard AS gently caress to paint

Truth. It always comes out looking gray or blue for me. Many an anime warrior has graced my D&D table.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Wow, that's nice.

Did you salt mask to get that effect, or was it the hair spray/chipping method?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 22, 2020

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Basecoating finished for my first squad of boyz, ready for a wash. I used liquitex acrylic gouaches and they're very delicate, so I want to varnish before moving ahead: are hardware store spray varnishes acceptable, and if so what should I look for? Matte or satin?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wow, that's nice.

Did you salt mask to get that effect, or was it the hair spray/chipping method?

Neither actually! Used some Vallejo chipping medium instead, less mess.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Basecoating finished for my first squad of boyz, ready for a wash. I used liquitex acrylic gouaches and they're very delicate, so I want to varnish before moving ahead: are hardware store spray varnishes acceptable, and if so what should I look for? Matte or satin?

Hardware store spray varnishes work fine. I'm not sure that the finish makes a massive difference tbh, but most of the people I've seen do it have used gloss varnish.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd recommend a flat matte finish if you plan to add more paint, it's easier for layers to adhere to.

Alternatively, you can use a gloss if you want to do some strong inks - ink tends to slide off a gloss finish into the recesses and you get a more pronounced lining. Then you can spray it with a matte or satin finish to normalize it. (This is the "pin wash" people sometimes mention.)

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Thank you, I'll get a can each of gloss and matte, and hope my mold lines don't look even worse than they already do by the time I'm done

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone have a resource for greenstuffing something that looks what this Malignant Plaguecaster is spewing out of his hand?

I want to try and make a giant globule for a Plagueburst Crawler

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I've been mostly using modge podge matte finish spray on my models, and works fine.

Also that dune crawler looks amazing. I really like the look of all the Mechanicus units and almost regret making Thousand Sons my first foray into an army and not Ad mech. Just at the time they had so few units it seemed.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have a resource for greenstuffing something that looks what this Malignant Plaguecaster is spewing out of his hand?

I want to try and make a giant globule for a Plagueburst Crawler
Not greenstuff, but you could melt some white metal and dunk it into a bucket of water to get a funky shape, or you could make something out of expanding foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, good thinking on the foam! Thanks for the idea