Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that old karny had a less successful run than lars sullivan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was he known by another name elsewhere? Like someone that actually was worth a poo poo in TNA or something? Or is it just that it's been a running joke over the last ten years or so? Because I know I've heard the name a bunch of times.

Also known as Sinn Bohdi. I think he was the Big Bad on one season of Chikara. But no, he's not really a big deal anywhere, people just find thge "trailed forever then barely used" thing funny. Because it is.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lamuella posted:

Also known as Sinn Bohdi. I think he was the Big Bad on one season of Chikara. But no, he's not really a big deal anywhere, people just find thge "trailed forever then barely used" thing funny. Because it is.

but i'm not telling you anything you don't already know

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks folks

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

jesus WEP posted:

That’s scummy as hell but it also led to the JR/Heyman announce team, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Also led to the dream pairing of Tony Schiavone and Jerry Lawler in XWF

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Lawler quit in protest then Kat had an affair with either Trevor Murdoch or his tag partner on the indies (not Lance Cade). She's married to Kizarny now.

I think they're divorced now. They were a cute couple.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Have there been any mainstream storylines where wrestlers switch bodies in some sort of Freaky Friday situation?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked Trevor

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Have there been any mainstream storylines where wrestlers switch bodies in some sort of Freaky Friday situation?

lol

can you imagine

"Kane, go out there and work exactly like Kurt Angle!"

"...I quit."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Not that exact situation, but in Japan's HUSTLE promotion, Giant Silva had a robot helmet or something that let you control him, but people would fight over the controls.

I had a couple of their shows saved, but lost them. They were awesome.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Red posted:

Not that exact situation, but in Japan's HUSTLE promotion, Giant Silva had a robot helmet or something that let you control him, but people would fight over the controls.

I had a couple of their shows saved, but lost them. They were awesome.

That's the ticket.

It definitely seems like something that TNA might have toyed around with, I guess the closest thing is Shark Boy emerging from a coma as Stone Cold, etc.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I could absolutely see Matt Hardy doing this.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Matt Hardy, wrestling genius, is not something I would have suspected a decade ago, but welp.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lamuella posted:

Man, I actually forgot he had a run in Chikara. He even had a role in the BDK storyline and I still blanked out on him.

His deal was that UltraMantis was desperate for soldiers against the BDK, so at one show, the Batiri (a tag team of Glenn Danzigs in neon green monster facepaint) debuted and aided him. They were accompanied by a cloaked Higher Power figure. Later on, he revealed himself to be Sinn Bodhi and said he was helping UltraMantis in return for the Eye of Tyr. UltraMantis was all, "Wait, what? I don't even have it," and the Batiri turned on him. Bodhi and the Batiri entered the 2011 King of Trios and jobbed out the first round to the Colony.

Probably the most memorable thing he did was get in trouble during the pre-show of Trios. Bodhi joked about being bi-polar while over-tightening his tie, which did NOT go over well considering this was days after Larry Sweeney hung himself. At a later show, Bodhi broke character to apologize to the crowd.

He continued to have a couple more matches for the UltraMantis feud that year. Then in the season finale's post-credits, UltraMantis gave him a fake Eye of Tyr and Bodhi announced he was leaving the company.

During the Ashes angle, he reappeared to put an end to the promotion Wrestling is Art, much to the confusion of the Batiri, who were using that promotion to get gigs in light of Chikara being closed. He joined the Flood as the leader of the Odditorium, which was him, Oliver Grimsley (a carnival barker) and Qefka the Quiet (a mime). They made a few appearances, then lost the first round of King of Trios 2014 to the Spirit Squad. Grimsley and Qefka walked off in a huff and none of those guys ever appeared in Chikara again.

The main dudes from the Batiri stuck around for several years and eventually got annoyed that they never got to win anything major ever. The less said about their third member Kobald the better.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

Probably the most memorable thing he did was get in trouble during the pre-show of Trios. Bodhi joked about being bi-polar while over-tightening his tie, which did NOT go over well considering this was days after Larry Sweeney hung himself. At a later show, Bodhi broke character to apologize to the crowd.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that! What a dick move. Bodhi also sucked real bad as a wrestler, I recall.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've seen a few times in DDT where they do a comedy bit of having wrestlers bonk heads and then swap wrestling styles.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If I remember correctly, Kizarny's only match was against MVP which he won in a squash. Unfortunately this was in the middle of MVP's humongous losing streak, the crowd was in the process of turning MVP face via that bit having gone on way too long, and as a result the crowd shat all over that match. Kizarny lost his next match and was never seen again

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If his only match was squashing MVP, how did he lose another one?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was a battle royal, he was eliminated. Should have typed "singles match"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DeathChicken posted:

If I remember correctly, Kizarny's only match was against MVP which he won in a squash. Unfortunately this was in the middle of MVP's humongous losing streak, the crowd was in the process of turning MVP face via that bit having gone on way too long, and as a result the crowd shat all over that match. Kizarny lost his next match and was never seen again

When someone is given an angle or gimmick, their first question to Vince should be:

How does it make money?

Vince himself is a carnie, but there's literally no explanation as to how a carnie character will get people to buy a ticket.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, now I remember, I assumed for a while that Kizarny was the name given to Frankie Kazarian when he was briefly with WWE because I saw people talking about him and had never seen him.

I also thought Achewood and Die Antwoord were the same thing for a long time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Kazarian had a very brief run entirely on Velocity. And I believe he was just Frankie Kazarian.

He did have an infamous confrontation with a wrestler with a carnie gimmick though. Just a different one.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Wasn’t Kizarney supposed to fued with Undertaker when he debuted? My memory is bad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Wasn’t Kizarney supposed to fued with Undertaker when he debuted? My memory is bad.

wasn't that Mordecai

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Honestly it could be both.

The number of stop start awful gimmicks meant to feud with The Undertaker could fill a book.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a period there where there were like a dozen people in FCW packaged with creepy gimmicks that were rumored to be designated Taker opponents. But I'm not sure Kizarny was one of them. He didn't even really retain his whole "creepy" thing with the Kizarny gimmick.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

The number of stop start awful gimmicks meant to feud with The Undertaker could fill a book.

Vade Hansen

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lid posted:

Hade Vansen

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

of course i hosed up that dumbass name

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

of course i hosed up that dumbass name
i bet if corky didn’t post the real one no-one even would have noticed

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

No bet because there is no way you are wrong. I can not tell you if Hade Vansen or Vade Hansen is correct.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

i had to google to make sure i hosed it up

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I knew, but it definitely took me a minute.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Googling Hade Hansen lead me to discovering Johnny Ace hired Yoshi Tatsu accidently thinking he was a different NJPW talent. Im trying to find out who it was but my guess is Hiroshi Tanahashi or Milano Collection AT.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
It’s incredible how many forgotten characters there were from the 2000s. Just off the top of my head I got:

The Bashams
Gymini
Gunner Scott
The Teachers Pets
Manu
Mordecai
Hade Vansen
The Heart throbs
Kizarny
Luther Reigns
Orlando Jordan
DJ Gabriel

And that’s just a short list. Many of these guys got a lot of tv time too, but had no memorable matches or angles. Was any decade worse in terms of go-nowhere characters?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It’s incredible how many forgotten characters there were from the 2000s. Just off the top of my head I got:

The Bashams
Gymini
Gunner Scott
The Teachers Pets
Manu
Mordecai
Hade Vansen
The Heart throbs
Kizarny
Luther Reigns
Orlando Jordan
DJ Gabriel

And that’s just a short list. Many of these guys got a lot of tv time too, but had no memorable matches or angles. Was any decade worse in terms of go-nowhere characters?

It's funny that WWE is now feeling the full effects of their past two decades of one terrible decision after another

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jackson Andrews, Eric Escobar, The Dicks

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus, return of Tatanka, Ezekiel

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The Teachers Pets

Well, one of them became Damien Sandow

But you also had The Pitbulls, Vance Archer

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-divas/divas-you-forgot-existed-photos#fid-27267902

So many of the Divas I forgot totally