Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A big IMM for me is sex scenes in mainstream movies. They can be done well but usually it’s awkward as hell and all I’m thinking is how the actors were not having fun

Edit: I remember The Big Easy as doing this well

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Keith Atherton posted:

A big IMM for me is sex scenes in mainstream movies. They can be done well but usually it’s awkward as hell and all I’m thinking is how the actors were not having fun

Edit: I remember The Big Easy as doing this well

Oh, God, I watched Underworld Evolution the other night, and I forgot in that sex scene, he's basically humping her belly button.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, God, I watched Underworld Evolution the other night, and I forgot in that sex scene, he's basically humping her belly button.

That's not how it's done?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only universally consistent trait of Vampires across all media is that they nasty

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Push El Burrito posted:

That's not how it's done?

You have to be Tommy Wiseau to really make it work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There's never (or rarely) and semblance of cleanup afterwards. :wtc:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Stepbrothers did that right when Dale Doback's sister-in-law uses the men's urinal after sex.

Granted it brings up another irritating part where nobody comes into a bathroom when two characters are getting it on or, like in Mission Impossible, they're having a bang up 5 minute long fight while a rave is going on outside.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iamyourking posted:

There was a comic once where attempts to duplicate Superman's powers led to this, since each of the subjects only had one of them. The speedster had to eat constantly, the guy with super breath could have ruptured his lungs if he breathed in too suddenly, the super-strong one couldn't even feed himself because he would crush the spoon and the food, the X-ray eyes hero had to wear special lead glasses because he couldn't turn it off, the flier had to be tethered to something because if he wasn't deliberately moving towards something he could drift away, the heat-vision guy had to discharge the energy from his eyes every so often to prevent a fatal buildup, and the invulnerable one had no sense of touch.

Written by J Michael Straczynski, by any chance? Because that last also happens in his series Rising Stars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Fun fact: The oldest recorded use of the word gently caress is in a court record from 1310 who mentions a man called Roger Fuckebythenavel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

Written by J Michael Straczynski, by any chance? Because that last also happens in his series Rising Stars.

As an aside, he was by far the best thing about The Real Ghostbusters.

Dude has a fantastic imagination.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stepbrothers did that right when Dale Doback's sister-in-law uses the men's urinal after sex.

Granted it brings up another irritating part where nobody comes into a bathroom when two characters are getting it on or, like in Mission Impossible, they're having a bang up 5 minute long fight while a rave is going on outside.

yeah, that bathroom would be full as hell the entire time with people railing lines and wobbly drunk pissing. the crowd was seriously huge and right up to the door.

also, it’s a rave in Europe, three people clearly occupying a stall together is not weird or out of place, no one would bug you and try to jokingly break into it except maybe an overzealous security dude

cool fight though, it was obviously choreographed with a different bathroom setting in mind

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nexus6 posted:

Like, I get it's a high pressure situation and the dude is/was going to kill her, but how about stepping over him? The dude's incapacitated so just hit him again/tie him up and call the drat police?

Every James Bond villain agrees with this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

First episode of Into The Badlands has the protagonist (a YA kung fu student) get attacked by a bully in the bathroom, and he has to defend himself with kung fu.

It goes into slow motion as they start breaking poo poo and throwing broken glass at each other, then it cuts to the door opening and a guy walks in at normal speed and sees the slowmo kung fu.

Its hilarious.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

I don't know the name or author, I've just heard it mentioned.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why is the default emergency response in movie/tv military/similar bases/bunkers to turn the lights off, change them to dim red flashing lights with an obnoxiously loud siren? Decreasing visibility and hampering communication by making everyone have to shout over the sirens seems like it just gives the advantage to the infiltrators.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Movie adjacent,

When toys for an upcoming movie leak and the headlines immediately start talking about how Thing is going to happen and I dunno about you guys but I remember the Dragonheart and Jurassic Park toylines

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, but I learned a long time ago that just cause there's a toy doesn't mean poo poo. I remember being all :stonk: at the novel for the 89 batman and the literal entire back half of the novel was completely different from what ended up in the movie. There were like 2 scenes left in the movie.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Who can forget this classic scene from Iron Man 3?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why is the default emergency response in movie/tv military/similar bases/bunkers to turn the lights off, change them to dim red flashing lights with an obnoxiously loud siren? Decreasing visibility and hampering communication by making everyone have to shout over the sirens seems like it just gives the advantage to the infiltrators.

Is it switching to battery backup and red lights require less power? I don't know, I'm reaching here.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Using red lights doesn’t hurt your night vision (as much?), so it’s a thing that happened in military bases but played up for movie tension.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In theory your people would have a better understanding of the layout of the building and be better coordinated to defend so blaring sounds and making it hard to see would work to your advantage plus it looks cooler.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Really there should be 40,000 watt floodlights in every room to make people immune to flash bangs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just got an ad for Brave New World show on Peacock. Now I loved that book, same as Wrinkle in Time, but some poo poo does NOT translate well to the film screen. They fixed up Coraline well by adding the kid boy so it wasn't all monologue, but Brave New World needs a fuckton of world building that would be narration direct or introducing Bernard or someone from his first days at work.

I remember Dragonheart, and having all the dragon toys as a kid, I could not loving wait to see the dragons in the movie, and then seeing the movie. It was the first one I ever told myself the lie of "well that was really good I can watch it again and prove it" poo poo. I even read the book, and my first thought was always "bitch queen, if your family was so close with dragons, the gently caress didn't you ever run away to them to escape your horrible kingdom! "

But kudos for Jurassic Park toys making Nedry a buff dude with a baby raptor.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Eh! Frank posted:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just got an ad for Brave New World show on Peacock. Now I loved that book, same as Wrinkle in Time, but some poo poo does NOT translate well to the film screen. They fixed up Coraline well by adding the kid boy so it wasn't all monologue, but Brave New World needs a fuckton of world building that would be narration direct or introducing Bernard or someone from his first days at work.

I remember Dragonheart, and having all the dragon toys as a kid, I could not loving wait to see the dragons in the movie, and then seeing the movie. It was the first one I ever told myself the lie of "well that was really good I can watch it again and prove it" poo poo. I even read the book, and my first thought was always "bitch queen, if your family was so close with dragons, the gently caress didn't you ever run away to them to escape your horrible kingdom! "

But kudos for Jurassic Park toys making Nedry a buff dude with a baby raptor.

The one with the two heads but one head was actually a snake was cool as poo poo.

And I also had the bad king and dragon. That was a cool part when there were mounted dragon battles

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Eh! Frank posted:

But on the other hand, Ant-Man becoming Giant-Man for the first time in Civil War absolutely was spoiled for me by a Lego set:

For one reason or the other, it was clear that this WAS happening in the movie, while The Mandarin in a stupid little car clearly wasn't.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I like on the bottom-left that they show the scale of Ant-Man and Giant-Man compared to the rest of the minifigs.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Season 2 of Goliath: why make eight episodes if you clearly only had enough plot to fill six lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pilchenstein posted:

Season 2 of Goliath: why make eight episodes if you clearly only had enough plot to fill six lol

First season was dumb as poo poo, was this less dumb?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Torquemada posted:

First season was dumb as poo poo, was this less dumb?
Nah, not really lol :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the Netflix movie The Old Guard and the whole betrayal subplot doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If Booker betrayed them early on he did a bad job of it since they handily escape. Also he doesn't seem to actually get anything from the betrayal since he also gets captured and is going to be experimented on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had to look it up. Ben Kingsley of all people has as many LEGO minifigs characters as Harrison Ford (two).

Alfred Molina somehow has 3 (Indiana Jones, Spider-Man 2, and some Prince of Persia poo poo).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also in The Old Guard Charlize Theron scoffs at the idea of religion when the whole immortality stuff is explicitly magic like how whenever there's a new immortal soldier they have dreams about each other until they meet.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
People don't always act completely rationally.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I spent the movie confused about why the Old Guard never touched the immortal elephant in the room: Andi''s immortality stopped the moment Nile become immortal. There's likely a cap on the number of immortals, and Nile replaced her. Even if that's not the case, it's certainly something that would occur to the characters and cause interesting tension.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying if I was an immortal and I had dreams about other immortals and over time (hahaha) we'd all meet up, I'd stop being such a skeptic.

Here's one I never got: in the movie Practical Magic the first witch to lay the curse of 'any man my female descendants love will die' didn't account for lesbians, number one, and number two...seems pretty loving horrible to not make a curse instead that says that anyone who breaks the heart of my descendants will erupt in flames or die right away. Nope, she goes right for the If You Love A Spouse, That Person Will Die.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Also in The Old Guard Charlize Theron scoffs at the idea of religion when the whole immortality stuff is explicitly magic like how whenever there's a new immortal soldier they have dreams about each other until they meet.

Well, she WAS worshiped as a god before. She knows how it goes.

Mainly I took it as she's been around for 10k years, and hasn't seen poo poo that is proof of the big guy upstairs, so she's not exactly believing in any religion that has literally changed several hundred times during her lifetime.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had to look it up. Ben Kingsley of all people has as many LEGO minifigs characters as Harrison Ford (two).

Alfred Molina somehow has 3 (Indiana Jones, Spider-Man 2, and some Prince of Persia poo poo).

Wait wait wait... They made a minifig of Molina's character who's onscreen for all of 3 minutes, before dying horribly?

Incredible.

Please tell me there's a Sallah...

Edit: are you talking about just the game, or IRL minifigs?

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jul 21, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait wait wait... They made a minifig of Molina's character who's onscreen for all of 3 minutes, before dying horribly?

Incredible.

Please tell me there's a Sallah...

Edit: are you talking about just the game, or IRL minifigs?

I think John Rhys-Davies has minifigs for both Indiana Jones and LOTR. LEGO will make minifigs for anything.

It’s a little surprising that Harrison Ford only has 2 characters, but then again what other character are they going to use? A LEGO playset for the film Sabrina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
drat, now I want a Lego set for The Conversation.