Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

sharknado slashfic posted:

It kind of makes sense, they grew up playing this game and now they do it professionally and it's dumb but it's a source of pride. If we were the tween protagonist of a jrpg wouldn't we take it personally if our stats were bad?

Pat McAfee had a segment about Madden ratings and players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q_ZC0wkrLw

They do get offended as hell and argue with the Madden people.

He said even if the players dont play the game, their friends and family do and they hear "Why is your XXX raiting so bad" all the time. And they are out there in footraces with guys who have a better speed rating than themselves and not happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rectal Placenta posted:

Wow, the five Rutgers fans will be heartbroken

Yes, I am.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Imagine if NFL 2K still existed and there were two ratings systems.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Imagine if NFL 2K still existed and there were two ratings systems.

Trying to play Madden 2020 for more than a season made me list for literally anything else

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well I'm an Old and can't possibly imagine watching someone play a game on youtube and that poo poo has been going strong for decades now so maybe I'm not the person to be passing judgement.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would want to be the worst rated dude. Put me in, EA. Let me be the basement.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I would want to be the worst rated dude. Put me in, EA. Let me be the basement.

I've been saying for ages they should pull a random person off the street in indi and superimpose them doing combine drills for combine coverage.they do it for the 40 with Rich Eisen, but I think it's too easy to forget how superlative athletes at this level are.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone wrote an article about him having the worst stats on madden once. He was some random lineman.

His agility was so low they were basically saying he had MS.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1285354737995587585

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

This is all good news so far. It's pretty hilarious to see how bad of a negotiating position the league put itself in by waiting until the last minute.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Preseason games suck and all but players need live reps to prepare for the season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Preseason games suck and all but players need live reps to prepare for the season.

College football does fine without preseason

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sharknado slashfic posted:

It kind of makes sense, they grew up playing this game and now they do it professionally and it's dumb but it's a source of pride. If we were the tween protagonist of a jrpg wouldn't we take it personally if our stats were bad?

Madden would only improve by having a fishing mini-game like every jrpg.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Yeah but the NFL doesn't have FCS teams.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Don’t they have giant rosters where they can hold scrimmage games?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Only 5 of the top 25 teams played FCS schools week 1 last year, and none of the top 12 did. Try again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don’t they have giant rosters where they can hold scrimmage games?

Teams usually have a spring game if that's what you're asking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also one loss can kill you in college, in the NFL a single loss isn’t as damaging

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Eifert Posting posted:

They do and they're both in Ohio

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Patriots starting against an AFC East team or two was always a nice tune up.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also one loss can kill you in college, in the NFL a single loss isn’t as damaging
Except for the 2007 Patriots

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Only 5 of the top 25 teams played FCS schools week 1 last year, and none of the top 12 did. Try again.

Only one game was between ranked opponents. The vast majority did not play teams of equivilent caliber.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Only one game was between ranked opponents. The vast majority did not play teams of equivilent caliber.

Preseason rankings don't matter

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

So you're moving the goalposts then

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

Also this

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’d probably be mad if I had a lower overall rating in a game I played than some washed up player whose rating is based purely on reputation at this point.

Granted, I would definitely be killed or paralyzed if I played in an NFL game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BrownThunder posted:

They do and they're both in Ohio

Lmao as a Bengals fan I'm willing to eat an :iceburn: when I see it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

King Hong Kong posted:

I’d probably be mad if I had a lower overall rating in a game I played than some washed up player whose rating is based purely on reputation at this point.

Granted, I would definitely be killed or paralyzed if I played in an NFL game.

Sure, I'd die or be severely sorry with my decisions taking a hit. But if a team would just allow me to take a shotgun snap and wing it out of bounds over a receiver's head (which I think I can do with max protection) I'd have a significantly higher career passer rating than Nathan Peterman.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not sure how we missed this breaking news: Al Michaels putting down a whole drat meal on Sunday night:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC3_iiRJmdfXyULMhTmO4u7E3gvrl3j5u-aZdY0/?igshid=16ybixzj86mba

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Cool, though the highly scientific means of loading the week 1 schedule and ctrl+Fing the NCAA ending rankings, I discovered that... it's still one game against ranked opponents.

But I'm sure the scheduling that resulted in an average point differential of 23.5 points (mean point differential in NFL games 11.8 and median 9) and about 20% of the games finalizing within a score are equivalent in competitive parity to the NFL. :allears:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Eifert your last 3 posts have literally nothing to do with one another please just shut the gently caress up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

Eifert your last 3 posts have literally nothing to do with one another please just shut the gently caress up

He's just goal post moving. He thought he had a pretty good point by saying that Week 1 of the college schedule, ranked teams just play a bunch of FCS teams. When that got proven wrong, he jumps to ranked teams not playing other ranked teams as if college football schedules aren't set 5+ years in advance and as if preseaon rankings have nothing to do with how good a team is.

He's grasping at straws and it's sad.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

None of this matters because he doesn’t watch football

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Who's mad irl right now?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I blame mcmagic

Edit just kidding mcm

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

He's just goal post moving. He thought he had a pretty good point by saying that Week 1 of the college schedule, ranked teams just play a bunch of FCS teams. When that got proven wrong, he jumps to ranked teams not playing other ranked teams as if college football schedules aren't set 5+ years in advance and as if preseaon rankings have nothing to do with how good a team is.

He's grasping at straws and it's sad.

I made a throwaway comment because I didn't think anyone would try to make the argument that ellective scheduling is comparable to mandated scheduling, or that there's an NFL equivilent to tOSU scheduling FAU or LSU scheduling whatever a GAS is.

The worst NFL team of all time (0-16 Lions) had a point differential of just over 15 points. If you rate the Buccs in 76 as worse you're looking at 20 points. The '19 week 1 ncaa games eclipsed the Lions on average by 8 points and the Buccs by 3. The games are not competitive in any sense that is comparable to the NFL.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 21, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Eifert said NCAA Week 1 is akin to a pre-season NFL game and the score disparity suggests that is (for many teams) an ideal game for tweaking systems and ironing out issues.

Calling them sad and telling them to stfu is a needlessly hostile response.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I sort of like the Steelers if I'm being honest with myself and all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Clowney to the Titans?