Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

it was directed at me, we both post in the rap thread, and it's recent news. there was no weird intent behind the post and probably doesn't deserve a strongly worded warning.

None of these are reasons for that post to go in the Sumo thread and "Please don't do this anymore" is the least strongly worded warning I can think of, lets just pretend they accidentally posted in the wrong thread and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Brut posted:

None of these are reasons for that post to go in the Sumo thread and "Please don't do this anymore" is the least strongly worded warning I can think of, lets just pretend they accidentally posted in the wrong thread and move on.

lol ay ay captain reasonable reactions off the port bow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Seems pretty reasonable, this is the thread for betting on how long tochinoshin's knee holds up. He looked strong yesterday :)

If you want to post about random stuff unrelated to the thread you're posting in, the f1 thread exists.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
don't get me wrong if the people entrusted with curating the thread's posting culture think that the best way to foster a positive community is to rigidly impose a strict on-topic policy on single-post-long derails in a thread that sees single digit daily posts when 'active' then far be it from me to gainsay them. one man's reasonable response is another's hysterical and bizarre overreaction.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marching Powder posted:

don't get me wrong if the people entrusted with curating the thread's posting culture think that the best way to foster a positive community is to rigidly impose a strict on-topic policy on single-post-long derails in a thread that sees single digit daily posts when 'active' then far be it from me to gainsay them. one man's reasonable response is another's hysterical and bizarre overreaction.

Shut up. The original post was dumb but your derail here is infinitely more stupid.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 20, 2020

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

choomo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Shut up. The original post was dumb but your derail here is infinitely more stupid.

lol it feels like i'm in a tag team match against two losers who traded their self respect for buttons on a forum. if using them will get either or both of you to stop humiliating yourself for 6 hours, feel free to wield away.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

What are you doing stop melting down and watch the fat men slap each other

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol it's a parade. like at the start of the bashos where the competing sumo gather round the dohyo, lift their fancy dresses up briefly and do a wave. only instead of sumo there is weird losers, they're gathering around me, and instead of a dress-shake and wave they desperately try and get me to respect them

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shout out to the sumo fans hooked up to this thread and that thing from a clockwork orange that forces your eyes open.

This will be my second time watching and I think I'll feel like I can do fantasy next time. Getting into sumo let me have a good time at a really awful party I went to at the start of the year. There was someone else who watched and wanted to talk sumo.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Enho with the win via yorikiri, that's the poo poo i do like.

Also did we ever get a consensus on spoiler tags? i don't care either way since i usually watch live and when i don't i catch up before reading the thread, but if people need their kanye news without wanting to see sumo results i could see it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Marching Powder posted:

lol it's a parade. like at the start of the bashos where the competing sumo gather round the dohyo, lift their fancy dresses up briefly and do a wave. only instead of sumo there is weird losers, they're gathering around me, and instead of a dress-shake and wave they desperately try and get me to respect them

ah, but it is a beautiful ceremony

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve introduced sumo to a few friends and it’s mostly stuck. I do a nightly Youtube simul-watch with a bunch of friends and it’s always a blast! Hardest part is just waiting for everyone to be available and not peek ahead of time :ohdear:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Spokes posted:

Also did we ever get a consensus on spoiler tags? i don't care either way since i usually watch live and when i don't i catch up before reading the thread, but if people need their kanye news without wanting to see sumo results i could see it

i informally impose a 24 hour spoiler tag on myself. gives everyone a chance to youtube anything they missed that day without making discussing the actual events tedious

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I’ve introduced sumo to a few friends and it’s mostly stuck. I do a nightly Youtube simul-watch with a bunch of friends and it’s always a blast! Hardest part is just waiting for everyone to be available and not peek ahead of time :ohdear:

Yeah, my girlfriend got hooked really fast. I think once you can convince people that it's a real sport with real strategy they get hooked fast because the wrestlers are all really impressive athletes once you have an inkling of what's going on.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, my girlfriend got hooked really fast. I think once you can convince people that it's a real sport with real strategy they get hooked fast because the wrestlers are all really impressive athletes once you have an inkling of what's going on.

yeah my missus initially followed the enho matches and the top 4 fights, but gradually became invested in the whole division. i've been genuinely surprised at how quickly i grew to love sumo, and how quickly a layperson can be put onto it. prior to finding this thread, i found sumo to be absolutely inscrutable and inaccessible, but the resources the english-speaking community makes available is really quite remarkable in its accessibility and clarity.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Spokes posted:

Yes, you love to see it. I think this is a first or a vary rare basho where Enho isn't one of my picks so I'm glad I got Terutsuyoshi and he's having a good start.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

yeah my missus initially followed the enho matches and the top 4 fights, but gradually became invested in the whole division. i've been genuinely surprised at how quickly i grew to love sumo, and how quickly a layperson can be put onto it. prior to finding this thread, i found sumo to be absolutely inscrutable and inaccessible, but the resources the english-speaking community makes available is really quite remarkable in its accessibility and clarity.

Understanding what's being done for ritual, why they throw salt, ect. has also really helped. Understanding how a match starts and the mind games they're playing makes things way more interesting.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Understanding how a match starts and the mind games they're playing makes things way more interesting.

I remember the first couple of matches I watched I thought the pre-match rituals would bore me to tears but yeah I grew to enjoy them as a very real part of the fight.

I was watching one of Chris Sumo's youtube vids where he was reading an excerpt from Hakuho's autobiography in which he admits to losing to Asashōryū before they'd even made contact. Mind games are real. And devastating.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After starting to follow the bashos back in January(?) I've finally made it my mission to have at least something to remember each makuuchi rikishi by. Some are easy - Kotoyuki has a nice tan and a super mean mug, Takayasu can be sheared to make clothes, Chiyotairyu has amazing sideburns, Tochinoshin will carry you like a baby if he wants to - but I'll be damned if I can think of anything memorable about, say, Onosho or Sadanoumi. :sweatdrop:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Beeswax posted:

After starting to follow the bashos back in January(?) I've finally made it my mission to have at least something to remember each makuuchi rikishi by. Some are easy - Kotoyuki has a nice tan and a super mean mug, Takayasu can be sheared to make clothes, Chiyotairyu has amazing sideburns, Tochinoshin will carry you like a baby if he wants to - but I'll be damned if I can think of anything memorable about, say, Onosho or Sadanoumi. :sweatdrop:
Going by the mugshots NHK World uses in their coverage: Sadanoumi looks sad. Abi (until this basho) had a mischievous smirk. Chiyomaru is a thumb. Nishikigi has a touch of the Innsmouth look. And my son swears that Aoyama (Big Dan) resembles Don Flamenco of Punch-Out!!--well, his face, anyway. Takakeisho reminds me of a colleague who bugs the poo poo out of me, which certainly doesn't make me like him any better.

Speaking of those mugshots, I feel bad that Enho has a black eye in his. :(

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.instagram.com/p/B84i6g0ARoJ/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that was a good rear end throw

4pf_p posted:

Y'all niggaz gay for that

this dude been watching bjj and mma like i used to watch he-man in the 90s

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

*watches he-man call upon his fabulous powers and then hit the showers with dudes named 'fisto' and 'ram man'* this is cool. i want to grow up to be he-man one day

*watches he-man shake bowe's hand while they're only in their underwear* oh no... *fisto and ram man enter and realisation dawns* oh god!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alright, finally got a chance to watch sumo after a very hectic Sunday and busy workday today.

Love seeing Asanoyama in top form, he looks strong and very composed. It's nice to have an ozeki in good shape. I'm also enjoying the strong fundamentals from Kotonowaka down at the bottom. I hope he's able to continue to develop, since he's a big guy and seems to have a nice low stance.

Day 2 standings:

code:
4	anakha
7	Banana Canada
7	bartolimu
7	bessantj
3	Charles Gnarwin
7	Diplomat
8	Elissimpark
6	GoatSeeGuy
7	Jobbo_Fett
8	Kenning
7	Lid
4	Marching Powder
6	Martytoof
5	Mekchu
6	QuasiQuack
7	ratmosphere
7	Scythe
4	sivad
5	Spokes
8	Thauros
3	Tiny Bug Child
7	whats for dinner
I registered all the Kakuryu > Takakeisho trades from yesterday for day 2. Charles Gnarwin, I'm gonna swap you for day 3 unless you object.

This is pretty cool, they look like they're having fun :unsmith:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Finally remembered to pick up my phone and request a Kakuryu -> Takakeisho trade

Of course my team is off to a hot start. Glad I pick people for exclusively sentimental reasons.

Also gently caress YEAH ENHO MUSCLING AROUND A DUDE 200 LBS HEAVIER

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 21, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

I'm also enjoying the strong fundamentals from Kotonowaka down at the bottom. I hope he's able to continue to develop, since he's a big guy and seems to have a nice low stance.

Caught up on yesterday and came to post this. Kid is far too young to have sumo this good. I can understand showing out at m18, but going 2-0 at m13 at 12 years of age is special.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenning posted:

Alright, finally got a chance to watch sumo after a very hectic Sunday and busy workday today.

Love seeing Asanoyama in top form, he looks strong and very composed. It's nice to have an ozeki in good shape. I'm also enjoying the strong fundamentals from Kotonowaka down at the bottom. I hope he's able to continue to develop, since he's a big guy and seems to have a nice low stance.

Day 2 standings:

code:
4	anakha
7	Banana Canada
7	bartolimu
7	bessantj
3	Charles Gnarwin
7	Diplomat
8	Elissimpark
6	GoatSeeGuy
7	Jobbo_Fett
8	Kenning
7	Lid
4	Marching Powder
6	Martytoof
5	Mekchu
6	QuasiQuack
7	ratmosphere
7	Scythe
4	sivad
5	Spokes
8	Thauros
3	Tiny Bug Child
7	whats for dinner
I registered all the Kakuryu > Takakeisho trades from yesterday for day 2. Charles Gnarwin, I'm gonna swap you for day 3 unless you object.

This is pretty cool, they look like they're having fun :unsmith:

The guy with the beard (Curtis Blaydes) fights at Heavyweight, the guy without a beard (Anthony Johnson, back to the camera) is now walking ariund at like 230 or so, but used to go as low as 170lbs and it still confuses all us MMA guys out how he could do that. He also fought for the UFC 205lb championship a few years ago.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Holy crap, for a moment I thought Hakuho was just going to keep going up the hanamachi!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mekchu posted:

The guy with the beard (Curtis Blaydes) fights at Heavyweight, the guy without a beard (Anthony Johnson, back to the camera) is now walking ariund at like 230 or so, but used to go as low as 170lbs and it still confuses all us MMA guys out how he could do that. He also fought for the UFC 205lb championship a few years ago.

not quite as confusing as the kanye post, but bizzare all the same

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ilmucche posted:

not quite as confusing as the kanye post, but bizzare all the same
:confused: He was giving background on that Instagram video of American MMA dudes doing a sumo.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 21, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll admit I went a bit nerdy with the MMA background and could've just said theyre two MMA guys who were goofing around.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning, can I request another trade? If so, I'd like to request a trade - Wakatakakage for Terunofuji.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mekchu posted:

I'll admit I went a bit nerdy with the MMA background and could've just said theyre two MMA guys who were goofing around.

Nah it's cool and a good explanation for people who don't follow MMA in general. I was messing around

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’d like to request a trade

I’d like to put Hakuho’s work ethic into Takayasu’s brain please

Sloppy win yesterday. To borrow a phrase, LOW ENERGY, SAD.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

There's been some drat good matches, so far. It looks like the extra rest has done a lot of people good!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah sonfar this has been a good reintroduction into sumo after i missed all of the March tournament and just forgot so much of the nuance of it.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Laughed out loud at Hakuho going for an afternoon jog

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Hakuho has left the building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just having a look at some of the other results and Ura is on his 17th win in a row. The man is heading towards Juryo.