Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Libluini posted:

Man, the Süddeutsche is really starting to sound rather harsh. They report that the block around the Dutch is now called the "Miserly Four" and that Italy's premier said the Miserly Four are holding Europe hostage.

At least (according to this article), this affair made Merkel and Macron mad enough they want to push this through as a unified block. Probably just to spite the Dutch, at this point.

Meanwhile the Dutch press is basically "many other EU countries secretly agree with us, they are just letting Rutte be the bad guy and are happy to not catch any flak"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Apparently our prime minister is pushing for a strong mechanism to withhold EU funding to countries that undermine their justice system's independence. Guess that is one way to reduce the amount of money you need to pay into the system. Definitely needed though.

We should also withhold EU funding to countries that think they don't need the income from corporate tax. I mean, they're saying they don't need money.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

We should also withhold EU funding to countries that think they don't need the income from corporate tax. I mean, they're saying they don't need money.
I think she’d agree.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

frankly, going for another big fiscal centralisation of the union was always going to see resistance from people in small but rich countries. those countries have no reason to want to empower germany and france more at their own expense, and will likely see themselves lose out on any such arrangement - where the big countries will see their influence amplified and the poorer ones will see some fiscal transfers, these countries stand to lose on both ends.

it's hard to say that it's a wrong line of thought, given the dog's dinner that's been made of european solidarity in previous years and the constitutional weakness of the Union

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Entropist posted:

Meanwhile the Dutch press is basically "many other EU countries secretly agree with us, they are just letting Rutte be the bad guy and are happy to not catch any flak"

In the Dutch perception Rutte is sighing while he draws his katana to make some austerity cuts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

frankly, going for another big fiscal centralisation of the union was always going to see resistance from people in small but rich countries. those countries have no reason to want to empower germany and france more at their own expense, and will likely see themselves lose out on any such arrangement - where the big countries will see their influence amplified and the poorer ones will see some fiscal transfers, these countries stand to lose on both ends.

it's hard to say that it's a wrong line of thought, given the dog's dinner that's been made of european solidarity in previous years and the constitutional weakness of the Union

I think there's also just generally a zero-sum view of economic development in the EU. I don't know what the Netherlands and Austria thinks they're up to. But, for Sweden — and especially Denmark on account of its currency peg — opposition to redistribution implicitly seems to be about a fear of 'poorer' economies catching up. In other words, becoming more competitive. Economic redistribution is seen as a loss, even though we're all each others trading partners and would all benefit from higher aggregate demand.

Listen to the rhetoric used by Sweden to motivate why the aid should be loans. We would 'lose' otherwise as they wouldn't have to pay back. As if the entire region stagnating for another decade wouldn't generate even greater losses.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 20, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's likely something to be said for rich countries not wanting their low-paid workforce to dry up because there's a possibility of a good life back in lithuania or whatever, but that part applies just as much in germany, with the country's need to keep exporting poo poo on the cheap - i do really think that these governments just aren't interested in the EU getting more powers or fiscal transfers becoming a part of the Union's toolkit, probably expecting that in the long term they'll be facing fairly big transfers out on the germans' terms

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Apparently our prime minister is pushing for a strong mechanism to withhold EU funding to countries that undermine their justice system's independence. Guess that is one way to reduce the amount of money you need to pay into the system. Definitely needed though.

Can you guess which 3 EU countries are putting a hard block on that idea during the summit?

MiddleOne posted:

I think there's also just generally a zero-sum view of economic development in the EU. I don't know what the Netherlands and Austria thinks they're up to. But, for Sweden — and especially Denmark on account of its currency peg — opposition to redistribution implicitly seems to be about a fear of 'poorer' economies catching up. In other words, becoming more competitive. Economic redistribution is seen as a loss, even though we're all each others trading partners and would all benefit from higher aggregate demand.

Listen to the rhetoric used by Sweden to motivate why the aid should be loans. We would 'lose' otherwise as they wouldn't have to pay back. As if the entire region stagnating for another decade wouldn't generate even greater losses.

The entire population of the Netherlands (with a handful of exceptions) has pretty much hard-bought into the 'ant and grasshopper' narrative during the Eurocrisis, and they're locked into FYGM with no end in sight.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 20, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Can you guess which 3 EU countries are putting a hard block on that idea during the summit?

I honestly can't tell if it's a stalling tactic or if the countries trying to bring it into the soup are that deluded.

Frugal four: Hey Orban how about we write in a clause that Hungary gets no money if you don't stop being a dictator?
Orban: Nah, I'm fine vetoing that
Frugal four: But then you won't get our money?
Orban: I'm sure the narrative of northern Europe disrespecting our democracy and actively sabotaging the Hungarian economy would play just as well in my state controlled media, you do you

I mean my loving god. The only way it gets in is by being neutered to the point where it would make no difference. Eliminating the entire point of this detour.

Junior G-man posted:

The entire population of the Netherlands (with a handful of exceptions) has pretty much hard-bought into the 'ant and grasshopper' narrative during the Eurocrisis, and they're locked into FYGM with no end in sight.

Germany has so much to answer for.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

accepting fiscal transfers like that requires a real faith in european solidarity, which one would have to be a complete rube to have after the last big crisis

of course they're going to frame it in a vulgar way, but i sincerely think that the ant/grasshopper thing is mostly just a rejection of the idea that the Union can be relied upon to be equitable in most circumstances, so why let the germans loot your coffers to bribe the south and east?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So... where do you friends see the EU in 5 years?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

In my country the EU has never been about solidarity. Obviously internal discourse varies between countries, and perhaps even regions within them, so I wouldn't presume it's general but I have never heard a politician argue we should join or remain in the EU for altruism or solidarity. It has always been a matter of "This will be good for us - internal market, trade and jobs" while the skeptics pushed "This will be bad for us - foreigners, bureaucracy and sovereignty,". The point is, it has always been about what benefits US - never if it benefits someone else.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The EU is a union of unreliable partners all looking out for number 1, which is a very odd basis for a union. It's no surprise that neoliberalism sees competition as baked in, I suppose.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Dawncloack posted:

So... where do you friends see the EU in 5 years?

Still scraping along the pavement like the zombie entity it is. Unless the Italians finally give the middle finger to the Euro, then it's all bets off.

Owling Howl posted:

In my country the EU has never been about solidarity. Obviously internal discourse varies between countries, and perhaps even regions within them, so I wouldn't presume it's general but I have never heard a politician argue we should join or remain in the EU for altruism or solidarity. It has always been a matter of "This will be good for us - internal market, trade and jobs" while the skeptics pushed "This will be bad for us - foreigners, bureaucracy and sovereignty,". The point is, it has always been about what benefits US - never if it benefits someone else.

Yeah, there's a deeply fundamental difference between the merchants' attitude of some countries to the EU (trade, jerbs, export) and the 'dreamer' class (integration, shared sovereignty, cultural stuff etc), which is always most on display during EU crises and never, ever gets resolved. It just gets pushed onto the moldy pile of "tomorrow's homework".

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 20, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Owling Howl posted:

right, but the faith that surrendering a certain amount of power will be reciprocated somewhere down the line is important in justifying any sacrifice

solidarity is all about self-interest, after all, but it relies on people believing that their immediate sacrifices pay off down the road through some common purpose, which i think was legitimately present pre-2008. now it's just gone

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In a deep, endless recession as the lessons from the past twenty-five economic crises continue to remain stubbornly unlearned and nothing can break the neoliberal consensus that economic policy should only ever serve to further the interests of the rentiers at the expense of the workers.

Global warming will also hit the agriculture of the southern countries, as well as trigger a new migrant crisis as African and Arab climate refugees flee the desertification of their land -- and the wars for resources and general unrest that it causes, cf. how the Syrian civil war was partly caused by several years of bad harvest in a row. Between the continuing recession caused by European policies, the absolute lack of any sort of European solidarity (if anything, the European Union has mostly worked to effectively increase intra-European racism, like with those ants vs grasshopper memes), the predictable result is a blossoming of various -exit portmanteaus (Italy is very likely to leave soon) and a takeover by fascism in several countries.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah the EU is going to stay morbid but not quite dead yet for some time i reckon. next big wave of refugees will probably break it permanently, though

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Current state of play on the budget negotiations from FT, definitely the best source for high level EU stuff.

First note: LMAO 390bn in grants, so already nearly halved from the opening gambit of 750bn and thus not nearly as relevant, and that's before you add up all the financial chicanery they'll do to make the actual 30-odd bn turn into thirty times that. Good job you mediocre scumfuckers.

quote:

EU leaders in push to unlock deal on coronavirus recovery fund

Euro hits four-month high as members to discuss €390bn in grants when marathon talks reconvene in Brussels on Monday

EU leaders will try to strike a deal on Europe's financial response to the coronavirus pandemic on Monday following a fraught weekend of talks in which they argued over the size of a recovery fund for the bloc.

Overnight negotiations broke up at 6am on Monday morning after Charles Michel, president of the European Council, floated a new figure of €390bn in grants for stricken countries. This was lower than proposals going into the summit but higher than earlier demands from an alliance of so-called “frugal” nations including the Netherlands.

Diplomats said the new grants figure represented a breakthrough in marathon four-day talks that have been beset by divisions. Leaving the summit, Austria's chancellor Sebastian Kurz, one of the advocates for a smaller fund, said he was “very happy” with the result after a day of “tough negotiations”.

The euro hit a four-month high against the dollar after EU leaders appeared to edge closer to an agreement. The euro strengthened by 0.3 per cent to $1.146, its highest level against the dollar since early March. Against sterling, the euro jumped 0.53 per cent to 91.36p. European equities indices were unmoved, however. The Euro Stoxx index opened 0.1 per cent lower.

The talks will resume at 4pm Brussels time. If a deal is struck on the size of the recovery fund, the focus will shift to a governance mechanism for its disbursement — another divisive topic.

Governments will also need to resolve a disagreement on whether to tie distribution of aid to respect for the rule of law after resistance from Poland and Hungary.

Leaders have been negotiating since Friday morning as they seek a co-ordinated EU response to the worst economic crisis since the bloc’s inception. Not only are they attempting to unlock a deal authorising the European Commission to borrow unprecedented sums to seed the recovery fund but they are also attempting to settle the EU’s upcoming €1tn seven-year budget.

The main sticking point over the weekend has been the level of non-repayable grants that the recovery fund will be permitted to give hard-pressed member states.

Earlier on Sunday, the leaders of Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden said they wanted to scale back proposed grants to €350bn, coupled with another €350bn of loans, in a total recovery package worth €700bn.

The offer, which was conditional on rebates to their EU budget contributions, was backed by Finland but received a frosty response from nations that have been hardest hit by the pandemic. During the summit dinner, French president Emmanuel Macron railed against the frugal countries and compared their strategy to Britain's ill-fated demands for a smaller EU budget under former prime minister David Cameron.

Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte said failure to strike a deal would lead to the “destruction of Europe’s single market”, according to diplomats.

The offer from frugal leaders represented a change from their pre-summit position that no grants should be distributed under the recovery fund. But it was still a substantial cut from draft proposals going into the summit. France, Germany, Spain and Italy had pushed to keep the grants ringfenced at no less than €400bn — a figure that was itself shy of the €500bn originally advocated by Berlin and Paris in May.

Mr Michel is expected to table a fresh negotiating blueprint on Monday, including the new €390bn figure alongside proposals for budget rebates for the frugal states and Germany. Leaving the summit on Monday morning, Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte said the talks were “back on track”. “We are still working. We have made progress but are not there yet,” Mr Rutte told journalists on his way back to his hotel.

Leaders will also need to agree on how to police the recovery fund after Mr Rutte insisted on the right to veto grant payments if countries failed to stick to their reform promises. The issue sparked fierce resistance from Italy over the weekend. Diplomats said the dispute over governance would likely be solved once the level of grants was agreed.

Hungarian premier Viktor Orban over the weekend also presented another roadblock by threatening to veto a compromise that tied distribution of aid to respect for the rule of law. Budapest demanded that any potential sanctions to suspend cash payments would need the unanimous support of all governments.

Speaking to journalists on Sunday, Mr Orban accused Mr Rutte of hating him and Hungary.

Mr Orban’s stance was backed by Poland, which joined Hungary in rejecting a draft plan that would require a qualified majority of member states to back potential cash sanctions.

One diplomat said Hungary and Poland’s position was designed to extract more money as part of a final compromise.

Non-frugal leaders emphasised their desire to reach a deal but warned that it could not come at the expense of whittling down Europe’s economic response to Covid-19.

A deal “will not be built on sacrificing Europe’s ambition”, Mr Macron said on Sunday morning. “Not out of principle, but because we are facing an unprecedented health, economic and social crisis, because our countries need it and because the unity of Europe needs it.”

Mr Macron’s stance was echoed by other leaders including Greek prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, who said: “We simply cannot afford to either appear divided or weak.”

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
lmao the libs in portugal are creaming their pants at the notion of the right to veto grant payments if countries failed to stick to their reform promises.
cannot wait to keep working and contract a loan for a century old home that costs 250k

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 20, 2020

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

quote:

Mr Macron’s stance was echoed by other leaders including Greek prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, who said: “We simply cannot afford to either appear divided or weak.”

HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA As opposed to what you are appearing now?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Junior G-man posted:

Poland, Hungary, Turkey.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

lmao the libs in portugal are creaming their pants at the notion of the right to veto grant payments if countries failed to stick to their reform promises.

Wonder if they'll make the Germans finally stop building up such a gross export imbalance lmao.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I see the EU getting stagnant in the next five years and just struggling to maintain status quo, consensus will become increasingly rare due to countries banding together purely on economic/national interests and playing partisan politics all day long, consequently there will be no way to reform the institutions in any positive way.

No matter the outcome, solidarity seems dead in the water, and if any hope to progress along the unification process vanishes too, then I wonder why the countries who are struggling right now should bother to maintain this charade in the future? The last ten years have produced too many grievances.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

I wonder why the countries who are struggling right now should bother to maintain this charade in the future? The last ten years have produced too many grievances.

Hence Italy, it's the giant coughing canary in the smelly coal mine. The mix of neoliberalism, that Italian North-South thing, a massively aged population, giant debt Hindenburg, refugees, and a slagheap of melted political parties can blow at any time, leading to God only knows.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

No matter the outcome, solidarity seems dead in the water, and if any hope to progress along the unification process vanishes too, then I wonder why the countries who are struggling right now should bother to maintain this charade in the future? The last ten years have produced too many grievances.

12(?) years ago there were talks over seceding the EU due to the nasty reforms imposed on us, along with the imf, and the arguments for remaining are probably the same still, our currency would instantly plummet, our current debt would skyrocket and we have anchored much of our business in turism from the "frugal" countries and the uk
but back then we weren't coming from a decade long recession and broken promises so who knows

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Honest Thief posted:

12(?) years ago there were talks over seceding the EU due to the nasty reforms imposed on us, along with the imf, and the arguments for remaining are probably the same still, our currency would instantly plummet, our current debt would skyrocket and we have anchored much of our business in turism from the "frugal" countries and the uk
but back then we weren't coming from a decade long recession and broken promises so who knows

I would say about 10-8 years ago but yeah, it would absolutely wreck us.
Of course, now a lot of our debt is held by the ecb, so if you want to go full scorched earth....
Its actually amazing how pisspoor though out both the maastritch and Lisbon treaties were.
I think there will be a last ditch effort to reform the union, even if you have to leave the problem countries out/behind.
We'll probably ditch the southern countries waaayyy earlier than doing anything about hungary or poland.
Unless they somehow elect far left goverments then lol.
We're going full fortress europa good buddies, cant wait to be shot at by the europa corps for harbouring refugees.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I have a really hard time to see anything else than a full corporate fascist union in the future. A liberal market inside EU and a heavily patrolled border. The thing that sucks the most is that most people probably wouldnt mind it at all.

Otoh the governments are doing their best to alienate the youth so maybe there can be some hope there..

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

We'll probably ditch the southern countries waaayyy earlier than doing anything about hungary or poland.

Oh absolutely, the EPP hegemony will take care of that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Salvini will be in power five years from now, right? Clearly the EU's gonna collapse before then if Lega has anything to do with it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol if you don't think when the Covid dust settles that there will be shifts in politics everywhere. Esp a push towards nationalism and rejection of ANYONE CONTROLLING ARE BORDERS BUT (fascist leaning country here) we are leaving the EU etc etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

That's an interesting take on it that I haven't seen before! It does fit completely into the general narrative that the EU is fundamentally going to remain broken in some fashion because Europeans will continue to identify with their own nation-states over a general "EU", so it's just an endless poo poo-show of half-assery and races to the bottom in one way or the other.

But the Germans haven't invaded anyone for some time now, so it definitely could be worse...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rappaport posted:

But the Germans haven't invaded anyone for some time now, so it definitely could be worse...

Well the US army is still already right there in Germany.

Also the German army is only equipped with broomsticks now.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
why everyone keeps calling them the frugal four, did they just named themselves that and no one blinked?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Honest Thief posted:

why everyone keeps calling them the frugal four, did they just named themselves that and no one blinked?

You see, they went out into space one time in a really cheap rocket...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grants cut by 22% and a — in the grade scale of things — tepid give on rebates. What a shitshow, so much time and potential wasted for absolutely nothing of substance except the fund being marginally worse.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Honest Thief posted:

No. Depending on preference you also have miserly and stingy on the menu. Apparently French and German diplomats started the Miserly Four psy-op counter-attack during a late night this weekend and Merkel and Macron is currently in a photoshoot pissing on piles of Legos, meatballs and wooden shoes to further ramp up pressure..

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MiddleOne posted:

Grants cut by 22% and a — in the grade scale of things — tepid give on rebates. What a shitshow, so much time and potential wasted for absolutely nothing of substance except the fund being marginally worse.

Too many loving theatrics aimed at their national electors, what a sad display. Also Hungary gets everything it wanted for free, Orban has taugth us all the lesson that you can be a literal fascist dictator inside the EU without any consequence whatsoever as long as you don't cost the EU too much money.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

At least Rutte didn't get his dumb Corona-Veto. Small things, and all that :sigh:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dutch news reports there is a veto.

Dutch news also reports Rutte is very happy with the results, so I'm sure the results are a fractal of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Not a real veto. There's qualified majority approval of the reform plans to present for access to the funds. That means the demon cracker nations of the north at least need to do some basic maneuvering to get one of the big four on board with obstructing a particular country's access to the money.
E: also, the miserly four got a significant rebate on eu contributions

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 21, 2020