Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's also another thing that was identified in copaganda: we did have a period in television where defense attorneys were the protagonists of TV shows, until the shift in the 90s (especially with the "law" half of Law & Order) to where prosecutors become the good guys.

And that sort of juxtaposition can get really ugly when it portrays defense attorneys as murderer-defending scumbags, or defense attorneys using "legal trickery" to get their clients off (and having that depicted as a bad practice), or even that prosecutors are the ones that are "outgunned" by high-powered defense attorneys (which can sometimes happen when facing large corporations, but lol the New York office is not going to be starved of resources going up against petty criminals or individual actors).

family law and judging amy were both really good shows that got away from the ripped from the headlines murder crap and really dove into more ambiguous styled adversarial lawyer drama even episodes that got into hot button issues like abortion were more about the hosed up ways laws tend to be written and how this screws with people in ways that were obviously unintended theres one brutal one where a woman who was raped is trying to give the baby up for adoption but since the guy plea bargained to a charge thats not technically rape he ends up trying to sue for paternity

thats right its me im the guy whos still angry that the practice ended up becoming the archetypal defense attorney drama because never mind the constant hand wringing about the lawyers being monstrous for defending bad people david kelley obviously didnt know a single goddamned thing about how the law actually works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's also another thing that was identified in copaganda: we did have a period in television where defense attorneys were the protagonists of TV shows, until the shift in the 90s (especially with the "law" half of Law & Order) to where prosecutors become the good guys.

And there was the accompanying coding of Internal Affairs as these obnoxious assholes who are just trying to get in the way of our Good Cops, unable to appreciate how tough it is "out on the street".

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

that haemi isnt dead she just split because she was being hunted down by loan sharks this extremely plausible possibility is explicitly brought up and in addition to fitting with her character and lifestyle it also explains why no one wants to talk to jongsu about it because for all they know hes working for them

the evidence implicating ben for anything is circumstantial as all hell his weirdass story about burning greenhouses sounds like something he made up to try and impress jongsu at least that was my interpretation of it at the time so my read on jongsus investigation was that he was being a dumb credulous goon trying to prove a shitthatdidnthappen story rather than a reflection on anyones economic circumstances

yeah i thought it was deliberate that haemi had just left to go on her next trip or something, that she was this kind of transient party girl who jongsu just poured all of this poo poo into and made stuff up in his head like a day dreaming loser

then all the stuff with ben is similar, where he's inventing a story around him based on all of these really limited and not at all indicatory "clues" (e.g. the hair ties or watches or whatever he finds in the bathroom...... i can't remember)

but i took the ending that whether ben is a devious sex trafficking sociopath or just some rich gently caress who jongsu invents a bunch of stuff about, the aggrievement jongsu feels toward him is very real, and in a class war way the poor/downwardly will exact their revenge (or desire to) whether their fantasies about the rich are true or not

idk that was my take after seeing it, but it's been almost 2 years now, would love to see it again because the mood it builds after haemi disappears and you don't know what is going on (e.g. her cat) was so good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think Rectify was one of the top 10 shows of the 2010's, and that is a stacked category. I don't regret the time I spent watching Rectify over the years it was airing. It was a beautiful loving show. But I won't recommend it to people and I'll never rewatch it again because I'm still pissed that they never resolved the mystery. I'll never stop being upset about that. What would it have hurt?

I never got around to finishing the show, but it seems like having a definitive answer would alter the way you see the main character. The ambiguity is kind of a big aspect of the show. I don't know, I've only seen the first season, and it's been awhile, but the details of the murder case seemed pretty beside the point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mysterious frankie posted:

Finally done with Cerebus. Woof. The tediousness increases in tandem with the insanity.

At least I got to see the lengths a crank was forced to go to in order to conduct a proper public breakdown before the internet made it easy.

Where would you say is the right place to stop?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

sebmojo posted:

Where would you say is the right place to stop?

Depends.

Church & State is the last time the story has relentless momentum.

Jaka’s Story is where he begins his serious flirtation with interspersing good comic with lousy prose. It’s still engaging at this point.

Melmoth is ok. You could stop here, but:

Mothers & Daughters is a 50 issue arc (151-200) that closes up the main story (Sim himself describes the last hundred issues as a denouement, and 201-300 do seem less about building out any sort of serious plot, and more about driving home his point that all women are awful, icky and ruin everything, challenging other artists to boxing matches, and outlining his new Chrewuslim all-in-one Abrahamic religion). This is where he drops the pretense and pretty much lays out his misogynist, er anti-feminist, manifesto during the Reads chapter (I’d skip all the prose in Reads, except for the Viktor Davis light and void screed. It’s quite the thing to behold and becomes kinda funny when you start counting how many times Sim has his badass transgressive standin smoke, smirk and laugh patronizingly at his captive audience. It’s highly jokerfied.) If you want some kind of closure end there.

If you don’t want to deal with him going full on mgtow, stop before Mothers & Daughters. If you want to see the end of the “main” story, finish Mothers & Daughters, but feel free to skip most text blocks.

And if you got time to kill read 201-300. There’s some extremely weird stuff there, but it is the unedited ramblings of a madman beholden to no one, so it’s also exhausting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fleetwood posted:

Columbo is the only one I can think of who always goes against the circumstantial evidence

Columbo is an incredibly dirty cop, always a complete rear end in a top hat.

It's a good thing he only uses those skills on the rich.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's super cool how hbo rebooted perry mason but this time he isn't a defense attorney and he screams at his ex wife over the telephone. (And just flops over like a source engine ragdoll when having sex)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Stairmaster posted:

It's super cool how hbo rebooted perry mason but this time he isn't a defense attorney and he screams at his ex wife over the telephone. (And just flops over like a source engine ragdoll when having sex)

So it’s good?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

you clearly didn’t watch the show. John lithgow dies halfway through and Perry takes over as the defense attorney. you moron. you jackass. you illiterate cad.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also Perry Mason is the best show on television in a very long time

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Still wondering why imdb hates it; also stocking up episodes of it to watch, good to hear praise.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it’s a modern day LA Noire, give or take. I grew up with Mickey Spillane dime novels and A Nero Wolfe Mystery on A&E before they became a reality show dumpster. it’s well acted and not brainless, there’s a good mix of race and class war at work.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I like Perry Mason a lot. This is the first I've heard of people not liking it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is an incredibly well produced show that nails the aesthetics and soundtrack, as someone very familiar with noir tropes, I can start to understand the backlash, but this is actual cinematic comfort food compared to the vast majority of trash dumped on modern audiences

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

perry mason as class conscious noir is kind of baffling to me because neither the original perry mason tv show nor the eighties tv movie revival was noir by any stretch of the imagination they were just straightforward detective mysteries except the title character was a defense attorney as opposed to a detective

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
then watch the trailer for the new show because it absolutely leans into it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwKTtWV7DMthat

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 09:25 on Jul 21, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

then watch the trailer for the new show because it absolutely leans into it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwKTtWV7DMthat

ngl this looks really good

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

perry mason as class conscious noir is kind of baffling to me because neither the original perry mason tv show nor the eighties tv movie revival was noir by any stretch of the imagination they were just straightforward detective mysteries except the title character was a defense attorney as opposed to a detective

Erle Stanley Gardner wrote, according to Wikipedia, something along the lines of 80 books from 33-73 starring Mason. Just going off the quotes in the main article he would be seen as heroic because he took the cases of the downtrodden and preconvicted by society and fought hard, going as far as doing his own detective work when the police failed, because he legitimately believed it was key to maintaining a democratic society. In America at least, it’s a stereotype that you’re hosed in court as the defendant if there’s any doubt to your innocence and you don’t have money for a high profile defense attorney, because justice costs $$$. Mason was a great lawyer that trucked exclusively with clientele who couldn’t otherwise afford someone of his caliber.

I know nothing about the book series, so I can’t say if it was noir, but I’m guessing not, since it’s about an emblem of justice in an unjust world and not, like, a hitman trying to dispose of the corpse of his bosses wife after he accidentally kills her, or something along those lines.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

grate deceiver posted:

It's so good. The cops are scumbags and lazy dumbasses basically bullying village idiots into confession.

the word you're looking for is torture

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

you clearly didn’t watch the show. John lithgow dies halfway through and Perry takes over as the defense attorney. you moron. you jackass. you illiterate cad.

the first episode sucked dick so i didnt watch any further.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
bong joon-Ho can't help but make song kang-Ho likable even when he's coercing confessions for days on end. you just love the guy

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
it's the hair

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/jondresner/status/1285636550966091776?p=v

quote:

It’s not surprising that some of opera’s most canonical works struggle to find relevance with a modern-day audience. But this tension reaches a boiling point when it comes to operas that contain racist and misogynistic elements.

See, for example, the ethnic exoticism deployed in Puccini’s Madama Butterfly and Delibes’ Lakmé; the Chinese stereotypes in Puccini’s Turandot, the lightly-veiled anti-Semitism in Wagner’s Ring Cycle, the Muslim caricatures in Mozart’s The Abduction from the Seraglio, and the gendered violence in Bizet’s Carmen and Puccini’s Tosca, to name just a few.

Many of these works have become even more problematic because of longstanding production conventions. Up until 2015, white tenors were still wearing “blackface” makeup when performing the titular role in Otello at The Metropolitan Opera. Productions of Madama Butterfly, Turandot, and The Mikado regularly put non-Asian performers in “yellowface” makeup.

Russian soprano Anna Netrebko recently caused a firestorm on social media after posting a selfie of herself wearing “brownface” makeup for a production of Aida.

Opera Australia prompted a similar backlash after casting a non-Hispanic performer as Maria for its 2019 production of West Side Story, a work with its own lengthy tradition of white performers playing Puerto Rican characters.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Once the series is over I will watch Perry Mason and then tell you all what I think. I’m sure this promise has caused a few of you to want to hold on a little longer.

Anyone watching the new season of Suicide Squad? If so, does it maintain the level of quality from season one?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

ngl this looks really good

it's boring

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm just glad they removed the d&d ep of community drow erasure is insanely pernicious

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i should clarify that when i call the new perry mason baffling i mean its so ridiculously off brand its not at all clear to me why they chose this particular character to build the story around especially when theres an entire genre of famous noir detectives that would make a great deal more sense adaptationwise it would be like rebooting little orphan annie but the actual plot is just oliver twist with the name changed

my guess is the people who made it realized they had the rights to the perry mason character and decided they could grab more attention as a reboot than as an original story completely ignoring the fact that anyone checking in because of the brand name will be annoyed as hell because its a completely different kind of genre fiction than what the brand name is implying

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

i should clarify that when i call the new perry mason baffling i mean its so ridiculously off brand its not at all clear to me why they chose this particular character to build the story around especially when theres an entire genre of famous noir detectives that would make a great deal more sense adaptationwise it would be like rebooting little orphan annie but the actual plot is just oliver twist with the name changed

my guess is the people who made it realized they had the rights to the perry mason character and decided they could grab more attention as a reboot than as an original story completely ignoring the fact that anyone checking in because of the brand name will be annoyed as hell because its a completely different kind of genre fiction than what the brand name is implying

I wanna say it might have been to get the attention of 30 somethings who remember Perry Mason as an old person show. When I heard about it I was like “wait, they made a stylish period crime show... about that lawyer character that was on the uhf channels when I was little?” It’s a memory on the periphery of my consciousness, something I never watched and associate with lame stuff I avoided as a child, and when I saw the commercial it caused me to look it up and see that it’s based on a long running series of books, which I never knew, so now I want to know more. Sort of clever if so, or my brain is melted if not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's probably literally just slapping a familiar name on a dark and edgy show

The modern Perry Mason is Phoenix Wright

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like that take!

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Once the series is over I will watch Perry Mason and then tell you all what I think. I’m sure this promise has caused a few of you to want to hold on a little longer.

Anyone watching the new season of Suicide Squad? If so, does it maintain the level of quality from season one?

Do you mean the Harley Quinn cartoon or Doom Patrol?

I Love Loosies has issued a correction as of 09:44 on Jul 22, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I like that take!

I don't think it's meant to be subtle.

The latest game also specifically has the prosecutor's office having a staff shortage because Edgeworth has had to fire at least half of them to even start reform

coathat
May 21, 2007

Joaquin Phoenix movie inspires hostage taking (not Joker)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ukraine-hostage-standoff-ends-after-president-promotes-joaquin-phoenix-film/ar-BB171HxL?li=BBnb7Kz

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i will take one hostage each day until my phone is capable of loving me then leaving me for a smarter phone

also the elimination of all belts

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's probably literally just slapping a familiar name on a dark and edgy show

So is it good or not? Thor's implies it is

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

Do you mean the Harley Quinn cartoon or Doom Patrol?

Crap, meant Doom Patrol. Haven’t seen the Harley Quinn show, or Suicide Squad for that matter.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it's meant to be subtle.

The latest game also specifically has the prosecutor's office having a staff shortage because Edgeworth has had to fire at least half of them to even start reform

I’ve never seen the old or new Perry Mason shows, or read the books. My Perry Mason knowledge is remembering it was on syndication way up the dial when I was single digits, and the stuff I read on Wikipedia. For that matter I don’t think I know that much about Phoenix Wright. I don’t know much, is my point.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Crap, meant Doom Patrol. Haven’t seen the Harley Quinn show, or Suicide Squad for that matter.

S2 is as good and weird as the first so far. Timothy dalton is loving fantastic

Also if you like Venture Bros. check out Harley Quinn. There is a lot of cursing/ultraviolence that put me of at first but it gets less or i just got used to it.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Harley Quinn had a fun ep where a villain who becomes a series regular gets cancelled but he's still portrayed as an unsympathetic worm with little redeeming qualities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I Love Loosies posted:

Also if you like Venture Bros. check out Harley Quinn. There is a lot of cursing/ultraviolence that put me of at first but it gets less or i just got used to it.

It's really good and has one of the best side characters, King Shark.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Harley Quinn had a fun ep where a villain who becomes a series regular gets cancelled but he's still portrayed as an unsympathetic worm with little redeeming qualities

The best part is that even Darkseid thought what he went too far