Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Are there any recommended 40K-esque bases, things to stick on bases, etc that are sold by third parties that people like to buy? Not looking for anything specific just wanting to browse stuff ya'll like.

Sheets of cork is your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tanon posted:

So, I was digging through an old box and found a bunch of old Citadel and P3 paints that are probably 7-8 years old and are basically unused but a lot of them are very dried out. Is there a way to restore them? I don’t want to just dump in a bunch of water and ruin them, but I’m not sure what I need to do. I’d hate to toss them because I just got back into the hobby and it’s a bunch of good colors I’d love to use (and it’s probably 60-70 dollars worth of paint).

Any help would be appreciated. Also, for Custodes, what base color do people normally spray them? I’ve seen people doing a gold spray but is that optimal?

If they're still liquid at all, water and a lot of stirring will do it. Just a little at a time if you're not sure how much to thin it out again, and it'll be fine. If they're solid then they're done for.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
If anyone hasn't ordered a 9E rulebook yet, check ebay. I just got one for £18 shipped from someone splitting up Indomitus sets assuming it turns up

xtothez fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 20, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

If anyone hasn't ordered a 9E rulebook yet, check ebay. I just got one for £18 shipped from someone splitting up Indomitus sets assuming it turns up

That's annoying because the indomitus one looks sexy and the normal one doesn't, so I'd have got the indomitus one instead for sure.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
+1 for aquarium decorations, roots , houses , funky statues and plastic plants.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

thanks for all the great basing ideas~

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MRLOLAST posted:

+1 for aquarium decorations, roots , houses , funky statues and plastic plants.

Just cause it's the grimdark 41st millennium doesn't mean you can't be on a neon technicolor undersea adventure to steal the krabby patty secret formula

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Has anybody had any experience putting together the Escher Gang box? I'm considering getting two of them and running them as a Chaos Cultist blob but I'm concerned that the poses/loadouts etc are going to be really fixed and I'm gonna end up with a squad of identical twins.

The other option I was considering was grabbing Escher and Orlock and kitbashing them together. They're a bunch of forge worlders who got wrapped up in a Slaanesh cult, but I want them to look like ordinary people using improvised or stolen weapons.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 21, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Orlocks look much more like regular working guys, but you could also mix their sprues in with GSC mining suit bodies and some cleaned up Poxwalker bits for a very "things have gone wrong here."

Eschers are very much feathered scifi Amazons and may not be as compatible as they first seem.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I feel like Orlocks alone aren't quite chaotic enough? I wanted that slightly more punk element in there as well—the big hair and the chem throwers and the spiky boots etc

Like, I started playing in 2nd edition and I remember chaos cultists that were basically just 80s Action Movie Villain Punks and I want to take that but also mix in a bunch of more ordinary-looking folks.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 21, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You could use loud colors, maybe. The Escher kit would be a massive pain to combine with anything other than the Delaques maybe.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ah, that sucks. I was worried about that, looking at the sprue preview. I really want to try to capture that Villain Punk From An 80s Movie energy.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 21, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My prescription: Empire flagellant heads and one box of Orlocks. The flagellant heads are extremely that vibe, with crazy hair, damage, and bondage aesthetics.

Now I want to do that.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oooh, I like that a lot. That's also 10 and 10, and there's 20+ guns in the Orlock box. Could probably kitbash 20 cultists from the two boxes, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think so, they're going to be robed and wearing chains so the aesthetic won't 1:1 match - but you can hook them up with the melee and pistol options, plus the Orlock heads should help tie everybody together.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Cooked Auto posted:

Sheets of cork is your friend.

I hosed up the paint on the model itself since it was one of the first minis I painted (unthinned, painted like 4 coats due to using shader wrong and not realizing I could strip it, etc), but I did this base with cork. The snow effect was medium+glue with $2 snow stuff from an art store, and some tufts of grass from army painter I think. Cork is crazy versatile. First attempt at basing anything. I could definitely do the water effects a lot better now, but corkboard basically makes anything you need.

https://imgur.com/a/6ZPdmdB

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Just go for the Goliath gang as chaos cultists. Orlocks are to squeaky clean.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Whats the best way to find out what base size things are supposed to be on? I should have seen this coming but a while back I arranged my pile of shame into boxes and baggies by project but I just chucked all the bases into one big box.

Now Im not sure whether Foul Blightspawn are on 32s or 40s. And I suspect this problem will come up again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Just check the GW store page as they always list what bases they get in the product description.
In this case the Blightspawn are on 40s.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Just check the GW store page as they always list what bases they get in the product description.
In this case the Blightspawn are on 40s.

Some of the older units don't specify, in which case I usually check the adepticon or similar tournament's list of standard base sizes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fair, I had just assumed they would've retroactively update that by this point. But I guess not. v:v:v

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
GW's refusal to make base size a part of unit stats has vexed me for as long as i've been playing 40k

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Building up these Tau, is there a consensus of Fire Warrior Strike Teams vs Breachers? The longer range of the ST seems like a no-brainer, but the 9th edition Tau video that was posted a while back seems to lean toward Breachers. Thoughts?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

EdsTeioh posted:

Building up these Tau, is there a consensus of Fire Warrior Strike Teams vs Breachers? The longer range of the ST seems like a no-brainer, but the 9th edition Tau video that was posted a while back seems to lean toward Breachers. Thoughts?

The logic behind breaches over the strike team is that basically the days of being able to sit back to make use of the pulse rifles long range is pretty much gone, and the breaches are the better unit to take if you're expecting to get uncomfortably close to the enemy, which inevitably you will do.

Ultimately the heavy lifting in the lists is done by riptide and commanders, and the troops are to grab objectives, so the breaches provide an edge while doing that but most of the killing is done elsewhere. The fact their guns are assault also means you could advance and still shoot which provides a little extra mobility.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Improbable Lobster posted:

GW's refusal to make base size a part of unit stats has vexed me for as long as i've been playing 40k

It's because they don't want to retroactively penalise people who have them on the base they came with before a size change. They should put up a pdf on their site though.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I already liked breachers in 8th, but their ‘danger close’ role, maybe even with the invuln guardians drone, seem good for 9th with the emphasis on holding stuff and smaller boards. I honestly don’t think we’ll know an answer to how the super high level tournament competitive stuff works out anytime soon, and it also depends on the rest of your list, but for most games I think a mix of breachers and fire warriors should be good. Tau seem to be taking a bit of a hit by limited HQ slots in 9th, so they’ll either have to pay the command point tax, or make a brigade. Since they have cheap options for most unit categories, the troops is the main cost problem for a brigade. If you’re going that route, 3 fire warrior and 3 breaches seems the way to go for me, maybe even more breachers.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

TBH I don't play in tournaments, so I'm not terribly concerned about high level play or anything. How about squad size? 10 standard or do they run better in 5 man?

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but after the initial release of the Indomitus box, how do people expect it's minis to be released down the line? Start collecting boxes, or broken down into 5-6 model packs, etc. I'm trying to decide whether to grab a MTO Indomitus box now or hold off until later. It seems wiser to grab one now based on cost, but if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be told so.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If Death Guard are anything to go by you still can't get the Plaguecaster or Noxious Blightbringer from Dark Imperium, so if there's stuff in it that you know you want I'd personally suggest getting the box now if you can afford it.

Or the cool and good Deffkoptas from Assault On Black Reach :(

How is it even economical for GW to make sculpts for limited boxes like that?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sab669 posted:

How is it even economical for GW to make sculpts for limited boxes like that?

Given how gangbusters Indomitus seems to be selling, probably pretty good?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

EdsTeioh posted:

TBH I don't play in tournaments, so I'm not terribly concerned about high level play or anything. How about squad size? 10 standard or do they run better in 5 man?

In 9th, five is pretty much the perfect unit size for anything. More than five makes you vulnerable to Blast weapons and makes it possible to lose models to Coherency. Even the new Pile In rules dictating how many models can fight in melee penalize large squads.

The only reasons to go larger than five models are if the squad itself doesn't have a smaller option (such as Imperial Guard Infantry Squads which must be taken at 10 men, no more, no less), or if you've run out slots in your chosen Detachment and want to bulk up your numbers but don't want to spend the CP for a tack-on Patrol or something, or if you've got special rules based on large numbers (Orks can ignore Morale if there are enough of them left in a squad, for instance).

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ellaybee posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but after the initial release of the Indomitus box, how do people expect it's minis to be released down the line? Start collecting boxes, or broken down into 5-6 model packs, etc. I'm trying to decide whether to grab a MTO Indomitus box now or hold off until later. It seems wiser to grab one now based on cost, but if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be told so.

Indomitus will almost certainly be the best cost if you want everything or are willing to take the time to ebay things you don't want.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

jng2058 posted:

In 9th, five is pretty much the perfect unit size for anything. More than five makes you vulnerable to Blast weapons and makes it possible to lose models to Coherency. Even the new Pile In rules dictating how many models can fight in melee penalize large squads.

The only reasons to go larger than five models are if the squad itself doesn't have a smaller option (such as Imperial Guard Infantry Squads which must be taken at 10 men, no more, no less), or if you've run out slots in your chosen Detachment and want to bulk up your numbers but don't want to spend the CP for a tack-on Patrol or something, or if you've got special rules based on large numbers (Orks can ignore Morale if there are enough of them left in a squad, for instance).

Rad thanks! I already assembled 3 with pulse rifles, so I guess I'm doing this start collecting box half Strike and half Breachers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tanon posted:

So, I was digging through an old box and found a bunch of old Citadel and P3 paints that are probably 7-8 years old and are basically unused but a lot of them are very dried out. Is there a way to restore them? I don’t want to just dump in a bunch of water and ruin them, but I’m not sure what I need to do. I’d hate to toss them because I just got back into the hobby and it’s a bunch of good colors I’d love to use (and it’s probably 60-70 dollars worth of paint).

Any help would be appreciated. Also, for Custodes, what base color do people normally spray them? I’ve seen people doing a gold spray but is that optimal?

I have paints that are 20 years old and I've just used water to thin them out. I think that works fine as long as you are careful, but I am also a really lazy painter trapped in the 1990s. You can also buy acrylic medium from an art store, which is the actual base the paints use, and would possibly be better for revitalizing them - there are bunch of different kinds though, so you would maybe want to talk to someone about specifically what you're doing to get the right one.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's because they don't want to retroactively penalise people who have them on the base they came with before a size change. They should put up a pdf on their site though.

I finally rebased my Wraithlords and War Walkers onto discs because there were a lot of people confused about the square bases.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GW really need to make more IG heads with hats. Because I have all the right things for a space aussie hunter but missing the slouch hat.
And the only option is Victoria Minis but that's 8 bucks (american) for 8 on top of whatever the half around the globe shipping cost might be. :sigh:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sounds like the time to get sculpting!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cooked Auto posted:

GW really need to make more IG heads with hats. Because I have all the right things for a space aussie hunter but missing the slouch hat.
And the only option is Victoria Minis but that's 8 bucks (american) for 8 on top of whatever the half around the globe shipping cost might be. :sigh:

Tried Mad Robot? Their stuff it outstanding.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Sounds like the time to get sculpting!

My forays into sculpting has usually left me sorely disappointment and frustrated.

EdsTeioh posted:

Tried Mad Robot? Their stuff it outstanding.

Yeah I saw those but the issue that they're US based and I'm EU which means I'm going to run into the same issues with shipping costs.
Although their not-Tanith are pretty good and I'm even impressed by the sculpt quality of their female ranger heads.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Ellaybee posted:

Booley's answer re price is very likely correct. When making a decision, also mind that GW is unpredictable about when units in a big box will actually become available individually.

The best recent example being Space Marine Suppressors. They cannot be purchased as an individual unit more than a year after their initial release. Anyone who wanted that unit but passed on the big box-set they first came in (Shadowspear) hoping to get the unit by itself now faces a choice of springing for the Vanguard Start Collecting Set, at a lower price but also a lower value than found in Shadowspear, or waiting for an unknowable period of time for the eventual release of a single unit box. When the single unit box does arrive, it will have the lowest basic cost yet - but also the lowest value. And probably also the nicest models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I wonder what the biggest selling individual <£30 warhammer unit/model is