Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So I bulk primed these Brett beers about 2 weeks ago with 7g sugar per litre, which should have been medium to high carbonation according to what I've read. The ones in plastic bottles are the firmest I've ever felt (compared to bottle priming with the lollies or the little priming sugar measuring spoon with dex) and they're gushing out with foam when I crack them. What are the chances my glass bottled ones are bombs waiting to go off? It didn't come out very good anyway, think I had water issues, should I just open and pour them to be safe?

field balm fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

field balm posted:

So I bulk primed these Brett beers about 2 weeks ago with 7g sugar per litre, which should have been medium to high carbonation according to what I've read. The ones in plastic bottles are the firmest I've ever felt (compared to bottle priming with the lollies or the little priming sugar measuring spoon with dex) and they're gushing out with foam when I crack them. What are the chances my glass bottled ones are bombs waiting to go off? It didn't come out very good anyway, think I had water issues, should I just open and pour them to be safe?

If you can refrigerate them, do so. They're probably going to gush, but try a couple after they've been in the fridge for a day to be sure. If you know what order they were bottled in, try one near the beginning, middle, and end and see if there's a difference - if your priming sugar wasn't mixed properly, there could be significant differences there.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yep I tried the first and middle ones today, same deal. It definitely doesn't sound like too much priming sugar from what I've read. Hydrometer read the same for several days but all I can guess is that the yeast started again with the priming sugar or never stopped? Probably gonna pour the glass ones just to be safe.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Bottled my third ever beer yesterday, an urq clone czech pilsner with Saaz hops. Didn't hit optimal OG of 1051 but landed on 1045, but also didn't hit target FG of 1015 but landed close to 1010 so I figure it's alright. Snuck a taste test and man, it already tastes incredible.

Got some feedback on my second beer, christmas ale. Apparently meets with massive approval from the 60+ crowd though I'm still not super impressed myself, it's a bit malty and will probably do well to get some cellar time.

Almost done with the first shelves and the storage rack for my mead, which I have two batches of bubbling away (one strawberry sweetmead melomel and one wild raspberry honey sweet show mead that I might secondary with something). All in all I am enjoying the heck out of my new hobby.

Sure is a lot of cleaning though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Nice!

Just brewed a small (9 Plato), bitter (40 - 45 IBU) saison. 90% Pils, 6% Light Munich, 4% table sugar. Heavy on late hops (Mittelfrüh and Celeia). I am using my favorite clean saison culture (Blaugies / B56 Rustic) and fermenting it somewhat hot (25 - 27 C). Smells like banana and bubblegum while fermenting. My back still hurts from all the cleaning.

Will be doing my second Kveik beer next weekend. Going to put a lot of honey on it, and some foraged flowers. Meadowsweet, I think.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 13, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

thotsky posted:

Will be doing my second Kveik beer next weekend. Going to put a lot of honey on it, and some foraged flowers. Meadowsweet, I think.

That is super cool, please report on it because that is badass. Are you going mostly honey fortified or full-on braggot?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nice piece of fish posted:

That is super cool, please report on it because that is badass. Are you going mostly honey fortified or full-on braggot?

60% Pils, 20% Light Munich, 20% Honey (1 Kg). Aiming for 14 Plato.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Apparently meets with massive approval from the 60+ crowd though I'm still not super impressed myself, it's a bit malty and will probably do well to get some cellar time.

I'm always super hard on myself and thinking about what I can do better the next time I make the beer. But it also always feels good when people tell you they love it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Decided to to play Russian Roulette this weekend with a saison I brewed. Didnt want to have back pressure on the DuPont strain so I put it in the keg with the pressure relief valve open and foil on top. Put some fermcap in the keg and set the temp control to 78-80F. So far so good.

Wish me luck.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I have been brewing full on braggots (standard and hydromels) using kveik. So far, IPA clones with voss and ebbegarden turn out incredibly. Witbier clones with muri turn out beautifully as well - it seems to also give a slight citrus tang, likely from the lower finishing pH. Using Oslo seems to provide a fairly neutral profile. I wouldn’t call it lager, although I could see where people get that idea. Oslo is far closer to something like a cream ale, rather than a lager.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

thotsky posted:

Awesome, please let us know how it goes! I did a meadowsweet and yarrow gruit with Opshaug kveik last summer that turned out not quite as well as I'd hoped, but it was an interesting first attempt. There's loads of meadowsweet in flower now so I want to collect enough to dry for a couple batches this year too.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

big scary monsters posted:

Awesome, please let us know how it goes! I did a meadowsweet and yarrow gruit with Opshaug kveik last summer that turned out not quite as well as I'd hoped, but it was an interesting first attempt. There's loads of meadowsweet in flower now so I want to collect enough to dry for a couple batches this year too.

My expectations are not very high. I have tried a bunch of kveik strains and I am not a huge fan, but my girlfriend likes them. Will be using Voss, which came out on top last time I tasted kveik.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'd like to try the meadowsweet in a more conventional beer too. The batch I brewed before, I'd only made one other unhopped beer and it was my first time using kveik, so I was probably messing with too many variables at once.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Brewing my first dubbel this coming weekend at the wife's request. Candi Syrup ain't cheap yo...

Not as bad as my baltic porter recipe, but this is definitely the #2 most expensive beer I'll have brewed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You can always make your own. Molten sugar is fun to play with.

I took a first measurement on the saison I brewed a couple weeks ago. It has Yeast Bay Saison blend II and I’m going to brew another round. It’ll all go into a 10 gallon barrel for a couple months before bottling. The sample is amazing and I’m excited for the end result. I’ll probably just keep pulling and replacing for a while.

Now if I can just find 8 dozen heavy glass 330mL bottles without it being super pricey.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jhet posted:

You can always make your own. Molten sugar is fun to play with.

I took a first measurement on the saison I brewed a couple weeks ago. It has Yeast Bay Saison blend II and I’m going to brew another round. It’ll all go into a 10 gallon barrel for a couple months before bottling. The sample is amazing and I’m excited for the end result. I’ll probably just keep pulling and replacing for a while.

Now if I can just find 8 dozen heavy glass 330mL bottles without it being super pricey.

If possible, I'd seal the outside of that barrel. The oxygen ingress in such a small barrel is pretty high, especially if you were to use brett / mixed cultures in the future.

I threw out like ~45ish 750mL bottles I'd collected over the years a week ago or so. I still have many more. Start washing and keeping commercial beer bottles if you drink them (I host a lot of parties so that helps). What you can do is ask local bars/restaurants to come pick up some of their bottles; I've heard of people having success with that, although the pandemic probably makes this less likely right now.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I make my own candy/invert sugar from table sugar and cream of tartar.

Follow this guide. It's kind of fun to make meth your own invert sugar.

https://joshthebrewmaster.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/how-to-make-belgian-candi-sugar/

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 14, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thotsky posted:

If possible, I'd seal the outside of that barrel. The oxygen ingress in such a small barrel is pretty high, especially if you were to use brett / mixed cultures in the future.

I threw out like ~45ish 750mL bottles I'd collected over the years a week ago or so. I still have many more. Start washing and keeping commercial beer bottles if you drink them (I host a lot of parties so that helps). What you can do is ask local bars/restaurants to come pick up some of their bottles; I've heard of people having success with that, although the pandemic probably makes this less likely right now.

I have 200 750mL champagne already from a wine bar the day after New Years. I want the smaller size though. The barrels I have are good for long aging with not much oxygen ingress already. It’ll be 4th use for both 10 gallons I have. I do plan on keeping it moving quickly for a while, but it may end up just in stainless eventually. I’m space limited a lot right now, so I’ll just need to manage. I have wax if I’m running into trouble anyway.

The 5 gallon will be getting vinegar when I get around to starting it. I just don’t have anything to do with that much vinegar at the moment. Might be able to manage giving enough away.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My buddy's dad got a 15gal barrel to age his red wine in, and he's mostly done with it. We're planning a saison to go in there first (something like 7-7.5%) after primary. Does anyone have any insight for how long we should let it sit in the barrel?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Until it tastes like you want it to taste. I’ve barrel aged things for anywhere from 2-14 months. For 15 gallons I would check after 6 weeks and see how it’s progressing. Really it depends on the barrel, what was in it last, and what profile you’re trying to achieve. Just one of those things you need to use your taste to decide once you enter the general time frame.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Went to go clean my beer lines so I could put a new keg on. Opened the lid and came across a slight problem:

Looks like my controller never turned the keezer off and froze everything. Currently have ~9 gallons of frozen beer. Plus 2 bottles that exploded and one that is frozen. Looks like the freezer hasn't come back on but I'm guessing the motor is a bit frozen. My guess is the controller never actually turned the power off to the freezer and my circulation fan.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My Biere de Coupage is tasting quite nice already. Maybe a bit heavy on the buttery oak, which is surprising. It's very refreshing. The Lambic has not asserted itself much yet, but maybe it never will considering my saison was a mixed-ferm beer to begin with. If I ever do this again I'll blend it with a clean saison instead.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm looking to pick up a cheap mini-fridge to use as a fermentation chamber. I found this one on Facebook marketplace, does anyone know if there are generally coils between the fridge and freezer compartments? I'd need to cut the divider out to fit my fermenter, I'm hoping it's just plastic and insulation.

Edit: it's a Frigidaire, for what it's worth

Toebone fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 18, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

calandryll posted:

Went to go clean my beer lines so I could put a new keg on. Opened the lid and came across a slight problem:

Looks like my controller never turned the keezer off and froze everything. Currently have ~9 gallons of frozen beer. Plus 2 bottles that exploded and one that is frozen. Looks like the freezer hasn't come back on but I'm guessing the motor is a bit frozen. My guess is the controller never actually turned the power off to the freezer and my circulation fan.

That sucks. What happens to kegs if they freeze? Metal seems more capable of giving a little vs glass but I hadn't considered it till now.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

honda whisperer posted:

That sucks. What happens to kegs if they freeze? Metal seems more capable of giving a little vs glass but I hadn't considered it till now.

Nothing happens to the keg, but the beer freezes, obviously. In general it's fine once you let it thaw. I had about 4 gallons of Oktoberfest freeze a few years ago.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The worst problem is I had some older bottles in the bottom that exploded and sent frozen beer everywhere. I was thinking about setting up a duotight/EVA barrier for my lines so I may just do that while everything thaws out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Toebone posted:

I'm looking to pick up a cheap mini-fridge to use as a fermentation chamber. I found this one on Facebook marketplace, does anyone know if there are generally coils between the fridge and freezer compartments? I'd need to cut the divider out to fit my fermenter, I'm hoping it's just plastic and insulation.

Edit: it's a Frigidaire, for what it's worth

Yes, most of the time the coils are in the top where the freezer is, and much of the time, they wrap the freezer and just leave the cold air to filter down to the fridge part. That doesn't look like you'd be able to remove the section in between.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Dang. I've got about an inch and a half of clearance without the airlock, I'll have to rig up a blowoff tube or something.

Edit: :toot:

Toebone fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 19, 2020

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
So I did probably a gently caress up on my first ever homebrew and didnt get the initial gravity reading. Everything else is going OK so am I just going to have some random level of BAC I can not measure or is their a way to recover and figure it out?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There is equipment for measuring it I believe, but expensive. I would just ballpark it based on the grain and water that went in.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 20, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Derpies posted:

So I did probably a gently caress up on my first ever homebrew and didnt get the initial gravity reading. Everything else is going OK so am I just going to have some random level of BAC I can not measure or is their a way to recover and figure it out?

If it was an extract brew you can assume the original gravity is whatever is listed in the recipe, if your volumes are accurate. If it's all-grain, don't worry about it :cheers:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Brewed the Dubbel yesterday, everything went off without a hitch as I get more and more used to using the brew pump. I missed my OG by a fair bit though.

BeerSmith had me at 1.070, ended up at 1.060. I hit my volumes spot-on, I haven't touched the settings on my grain mill since I usually get really close to the BeerSmith predictions... I'm thinking the sparge went a little too fast. I do single batch sparges, usually letting them sit for 15 minutes and then lauter at a pretty slow pace. I may have gotten a little too cocky with the pump. Ah well, learn something new every (brew) day.

The yeast took off super fast; I could hear it chugging away after just 3 hours. Sure enough according to the Tilt, it's down to 1.050 this morning.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Toebone posted:

If it was an extract brew you can assume the original gravity is whatever is listed in the recipe, if your volumes are accurate. If it's all-grain, don't worry about it :cheers:

Thanks! It was an extract with grain too, so I am pretty sure it'll be at roughly the 5% mark it said it would be. Did some napkin calculations and back tracking and figured it to be right in that range after consulting all the wizard charts and came up with it being right around that range so not too worried I will have a bunch of O'Douls.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've been fermenting in corny kegs (well, 6g batches in a big 10g corny keg) this go-around of getting back into brewing. Oxygenating by just bubbling pure O2 through the dip tube for a little bit. Mostly because I have zero desire to sanitize carb stones to the degree that would satisfy me. I'm definitely not getting a terribly significant amount of O2 in solution, but it's super easy and I have Very Very Large oxygen bottles anyways.

I realized last time that I could probably actually put some head pressure on the beer and force-oxygenate it with a minute or three of sloshing the keg around. Could also put a psi or two on it and a spunding valve and let it oxygenate the wort during the lag period.
I did a little searching and I haven't found anybody talking about doing this, but fermenting in kegs is already super uncommon, and it's not like anybody is going to be sloshing around something like Spike fermenters or conicals.

e: side note, I've been doing some much needed work on my brew stand and holy gently caress I built the thing in 2011. Approaching 9 goddamn years ago. What the gently caress.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 21, 2020

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Whats your issue with sanitizing a sintered stone? I've been using one forever I just chuck it jn a bucket of star san for a few minutes. I haven't had an infection in the last five years. If you get one of the ones that come as a stainless wand rather than on tubing you can boil it as well.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got a wand style, though I've had normal short ones in the past.

My current method easy and doesn't require extra sanitizing, just spraying the end of a ball lock disconnect and then clicking it on. Nothing open to air, no opening the fermenter, etc.

I'm just tired of cleaning and sanitizing long things and tubing. Most of my brewing is pretty well dialed in to avoid that completely. Same goes for open transfers on the cold side. Just lets me think less.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

I've been fermenting in corny kegs (well, 6g batches in a big 10g corny keg) this go-around of getting back into brewing.

Have any leads on cheaper 10 gallon cornies? Everything I see is $200+.

I too ferment in cornies (multiple 5 gallon) but would really like to have a 10 gallon dedicated.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

LaserWash posted:

I too ferment in cornies (multiple 5 gallon) but would really like to have a 10 gallon dedicated.

I got stupid lucky and found an original challenger 10g on Facebook. The new Chinese made 10g kegs seem fine, but they're a lot thinner and there are definitely reports of bad welds. I don't think I've seen them much under $200, if ever.

Hypnolobster posted:

Sold both my Speidel 7.9g fermenters and my pressure racking setup because I finally found a 10g corny keg. I was planning on switching over to a kegmenter, but it's really hard to find small chest freezers that will fit a 15.75" dia vessel.

It's even an old Challenger, not one of the new, questionable Chinese ones that are ridiculously expensive and thin/pre-dented from the factory.

This would be my next move other than a 10g corny. Not a lot cheaper, but a lot nicer made than a Chinese corny.
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Equipment/Kegging-Equipment/Kegs/76-Gallon-Kegland-Kegmenter

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 21, 2020

broseph
Oct 29, 2005

LaserWash posted:

Outside of those morebeer kegmentors, troll craigslist and facebook for the old 10gal cornies. Not super helpful, but sometimes people don't know their worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

The yeast took off super fast; I could hear it chugging away after just 3 hours. Sure enough according to the Tilt, it's down to 1.050 this morning.

Day 2 and down to 1.032 with a blow-off tube full of krausen...

I've been doing so many lagers, I'd nearly forgotten what it's like to ferment an ale.