Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I too thought it was Nixon but a different name was under it.

Also the extra line break between made the post work so much better in my brain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mambold posted:

Why it's a 'pretend' rail to go with

Also, is that an idealized Tricky Dick Nixon poster?

No handrail r-r-r-r-r-regulations!

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

there wolf posted:

Ugh, shag rug repairs. Your rug is jute (warp) and blue thread (weft) with pink knots forming the pile. Those knots are mostly held in place by the compression of the warp and the weft, so repairing it means reweaving where it's started to come loose, replacing any knots you've lost.

I think for the corner you just need to weave those loose ends back in as much as you can, and come back with some more thread to just really tighten it up. Ideally, you want your new yard to be the same material as what's already in the rug, or at least avoid pairing a synthetic with a natural fiber.

The side looks like you snapped that last binding thread on the edge, so you're going to have to patch behind it to repair it. Get some kind of mesh, more jute or burlap should work but it needs to be a stiff weave, and make a big patch, at least 2-3in beyond the hole on all sides. Place it over the hole, and then you're going to weave in more blue thread, sewing the mesh into the rug as you go. That will stabilize the weave and give you something to attach new knots to if there's an actual hole. Then you add in more knots of the right color. (it's unlikely they are actually knotted around the thread in the conventional sense; see how the rest of the pink threads are attached and try to replicate it.

If you want to keep using it on the floor reinforcing all four sides with mesh is probably a good idea. Edges usually take more damage and if you can't put a proper binding on a rug, they can get pretty beat up.

Thank you! This makes perfect sense. I will be ordering materials and then going to town on this. You are correct the knots are not actually knotted, they are just wrapped halfway around the jute.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

So you sounds like you know what you're talking about with these rugs. Instead of just suggesting, I'll ask: are carpet pads something that one would use to protect a rug like this? In this particular case I know it's edge damage and likely wouldn't have made a difference. But carpet pads are like, totally a thing for oriental rugs if you want to keep them in good shape. All of mine that see traffic have some manner and level of padding like this:

Also rotating them regularly if they see a lot of traffic.

Basically, this is a thing for this type of rug. If it applies to other types it's probably a good idea for uncloudy day if they want to keep that one in good shape for longer after repair.

Well I am not a rug expert by far. I'm just really into the mechanics of textiles, so I've read a lot about how how poo poo like rugs are made and done some patching and repairs on stuff before.

But, yeah I think a carpet pad is a good idea overall. Among other stuff, they can act as a mild stabilizer on the weave just through friction alone.

Uncloudy, a little more detail on how to do that patch now that I've slept on it- You'll want to baste the patch over the bad spot with some big stitches just to hold it in place. Then starting from the inside and working out, you'll add rows of blue yarn until you get to the part where you need to start putting knots in. Give your knots longer ends than the rest of the rug, and just alternate knot and blue yarn rows until the end. Trim the new knots to the height of the rest of the pile and cut away the basting stitches.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sitnspinster/status/1284255910425055237

:gonk:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "turret"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/820-Santa-Maria-Dr-Naperville-IL-60540/4538126_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9752-Main-St-Canning-NS-B0P-1H0/305632962_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1536-Mineral-Spring-Rd-Reading-PA-19602/2142536959_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17-Idle-Day-Dr-Centerport-NY-11721/59340884_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/75-Huntington-Ave-Scarsdale-NY-10583/33093987_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1736-Pineapple-Ave-Melbourne-FL-32935/43466731_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/65-Sunset-Farm-Rd-West-Hartford-CT-06107/57784030_zpid/ 1936 Bauhaus with a 1988 renovation/expansion

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/706-Shelter-Cove-Dr-Lake-Arrowhead-CA-92352/17406499_zpid/ probably posted this 80s masterpiece before but there's 12,000 square feet and it's all amazing. There are no fewer than 5 carpeted bathrooms.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Ok, there has to be a catch to this one because to my untrained non-Pennsylvanian eye this seems like an insanely low price for a suspiciously nice house.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Alris posted:

Ok, there has to be a catch to this one because to my untrained non-Pennsylvanian eye this seems like an insanely low price for a suspiciously nice house.

Been a while since I’ve driven through reading, but I remember it having all the charm of a burned out rust belt town smack in the middle of Amish country.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Alris posted:

same deal as a Cheap Victorian in a Dying Midwest Town - few people want to move there due to lack of jobs, it's bigger/fancier/older/still more expensive than the houses that people actually do want, and property taxes are high compared to the actual cost of the house. Most houses in that city are less than $100k.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alris posted:

there's nothing in the listing indicating that it is about to fall over, you'll see warning signs like "SOLD AS-IS" or "NO INSPECTION OFFERED" which basically means prepare to spend more than the listing price on serious structural repairs and renovations. but the house seems to be in good shape

i snooped on the area in google street view and it looks generally run down but not especially so. zillow listing indicates that the houses nearby are also absurdly cheap, ranging from giant mansions to old school mid-atlantic rowhouses

this indicates to me that the job market in this area is probably total rust belt dogshit. wiki seems to confirm it:

quote:

According to the 2010 census, Reading had the highest share of citizens living in poverty in the nation for cities with populations of more than 65,000. Reading's poverty rate fell over the next decade. Readings poverty rate in the 2018 five-year American Community survey showed that 35.4% of the city's residents were below the poverty line, or less "than the infamous 41.3% from 2011, when Reading was declared the poorest small city in the nation."

super low cost of living because good luck getting a job. but if you're enticed to move to the reading area by a job paying six figures then you will live like a prince. either that or this house is haunted :shrug:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/116-Grove-St-Charleston-SC-29403/10910255_zpid/ I don't understand modern architects' obsession with floating death stairs. Would adding a handrail here really ruin the aesthetic?

I hope these are against building code in most localities, though I imagine the wealthy will find ways to shirk it, regardless.

Loving the line breaks between stuff. It does honestly make it so much easier to parse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

Been a while since I’ve driven through reading, but I remember it having all the charm of a burned out rust belt town smack in the middle of Amish country.

Actually it's pronounced "reading"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I have no idea what that Coke branded thing is, but I want it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Planning a move to this area and I've been debating going to look at this house, small world.

Here's its spiritual cousin, also with a turret.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have no idea what that Coke branded thing is, but I want it.

Looks like a 1930's Glascock Coca-Cola Cooler. I've seen a few sell for $500-600 (US) that were in decent condition.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Flooring is interior design right?

I'm bad at making decisions on what I want to do with some flooring stuff, I'm looking for some opinions on the stuff in blue on this diagram:

* Brown stuff - actual wood floor, leaving

* Green stuff - Bathroom - recently installed LVP, leaving. Stairs - Carpeted, leaving - upstairs irrelevant so not pictured.

* Blue stuff -trying to figure out. The "bedroom" on right is used as more of a den/family room/office. Kitchen planning on redoing soon, the small patch is a a tiny mud room closet from garage.

I'm trying to figure out if i should 'sync up' flooring on all of those spots to match. I want to do some sort of harder flooring, so maybe LVP DIY-style. I do not want more wood floor and do not want to attempt to match the other stuff.

In my mind, it feels like they should all match. Does that seem correct? If you were standing in the small entryway area, you can see the other rooms in question.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

falz posted:

Flooring is interior design right?

I'm bad at making decisions on what I want to do with some flooring stuff, I'm looking for some opinions on the stuff in blue on this diagram:

* Brown stuff - actual wood floor, leaving

* Green stuff - Bathroom - recently installed LVP, leaving. Stairs - Carpeted, leaving - upstairs irrelevant so not pictured.

* Blue stuff -trying to figure out. The "bedroom" on right is used as more of a den/family room/office. Kitchen planning on redoing soon, the small patch is a a tiny mud room closet from garage.

I'm trying to figure out if i should 'sync up' flooring on all of those spots to match. I want to do some sort of harder flooring, so maybe LVP DIY-style. I do not want more wood floor and do not want to attempt to match the other stuff.

In my mind, it feels like they should all match. Does that seem correct? If you were standing in the small entryway area, you can see the other rooms in question.

If you aren't putting the same LVP as the bathrooms in the kitchen just put tile down imo.

Bedroom should probably match either the living area or the other bedrooms upstairs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

getting these delivered in a few days, drat they are sharp looking (and you don't need the goofy legs on hard floor which is nice)

gonna look great with my sick $30 kallax setup

p.s. never forget

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Kitchen options:

Wood flooring - will get dirty, annoying to clean, not that water resistant. If you like this, then you need to match your living room
LVT: If it's not the same LVT as your bathroom, then youre doing it wrong
Tile: Probably will last longer than LVT. I'd go with this, but then you have to deal with where to transition!

Bedroom - do whatever you want. If you want to be a unique snowflake you can even make it different from your other materials. I'd probably go with the same color as your other bedrooms though personally.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Do not put real wood flooring in your kitchen. Those crevices will never ever be clean.

The Zillow search term of the day is "palladian". A word which apparently nobody knows how to spell because there are an equal number of results for the search term "palladium" with the same kind of window. Also it apparently just means "any tall window that's rounded at the top".

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6-Bridge-One-Ln-Pipersville-PA-18947/2083924902_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/30-Rona-St-Interlaken-NJ-07712/39277355_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/112-E-West-St-UNIT-302-Baltimore-MD-21230/64756387_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3325-Us-Route-7-Pittsford-VT-05763/250980509_zpid/ Even in God's house you can't escape the Live Laugh Love sign. Would be cool to have a pipe organ in my bedroom though.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2103-R-St-NW-Washington-DC-20008/396622_zpid/ This is the perfect neutral shade of green. I'd like to see more of this and less ~Agreeable Gray~, especially in historic renovations.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/84-Eldredge-St-APT-5-Newton-MA-02458/56319195_zpid/ Ballroom of a country club converted into an extremely bougie condo.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/65-Sand-Hill-Rd-Durham-CT-06422/57851642_zpid/ This is an inlaw suite but I much prefer it to the bland main house.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4358-River-Rd-New-Hope-PA-18938/9083049_zpid/ Whoever designed this house really loved Palladian windows.

wait what is going on here

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that pipe organ bedroom is loving amazing hahah

that'd make a hell of an alarm clock

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I guess they're not expecting to ever have anyone over and running around the yard? Could really use some drapes or curtains in there. There's also no mirrors above the sinks...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

You don't need to match them. The rooms all serve different functions so different flooring would make sense. There's also no reason not to match them if you just want to get one thing and be done. From an aesthetic perspective, LVP can look cheep next to actual wood so try for enough contrast to make the difference look deliberative. I think if you did a tile pattern, rather than a wood patter LVP in the kitchen and mud room, and then wood pattern in the not-bedroom it'd look pretty good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I guess they're not expecting to ever have anyone over and running around the yard? Could really use some drapes or curtains in there. There's also no mirrors above the sinks...

Seems like some kind of tint or reflective film on the bottom half of the windows.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

from what i assume clicking around the listing photos and looking at the exterior window placement, the only possible location for this exhibitionist-rear end bathroom is on the floor above ground level

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Do not put real wood flooring in your kitchen. Those crevices will never ever be clean.

Seriouspost: how exactly is this a real problem? I've been in kitchens that have had wood floors centuries old and it's not like I caught typhoid from some unclean crevices.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It must be projection, because in my experience internet nerds and fastidiously clean living spaces don’t actually go together.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: how exactly is this a real problem? I've been in kitchens that have had wood floors centuries old and it's not like I caught typhoid from some unclean crevices.

It’s a bigger issue with prefinished hardwood. Older floors obv wouldn’t have that problem. And yeah you’re not going to catch a disease, but I have prefinished hardwood in my kitchen and it’s hard to keep clean.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was also confused by this. If your wood floor (not engineered hardwood, not prefinished) has crevices, it's time to refinish it. It's also been used in kitchens for hundreds of years without issue. If you have enough water on the floor to ruin your hardwood, you've got enough water to be worried about your cabinets, your subfloor, the floor below, etc. Properly finished hardwood will stand up just fine to occasional spills, properly cleaned up.

I'm also struggling to come up with a floor covering that has less crevices than hardwood. Not laminate, not tile, not vinyl plank, not engineered... So sheet vinyl it is.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 21, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't know if I've ever seen prefinished hardwood. Even the people I know that re-did floors just plopped down some planks and then finished them in situ. But I have no idea how that affects the filth crevice situation so :shrug:

Anyway I'm all for vinyl mat on floors because it stops the draft coming in from under the floor.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen prefinished hardwood. Even the people I know that re-did floors just plopped down some planks and then finished them in situ. But I have no idea how that affects the filth crevice situation so :shrug:

Anyway I'm all for vinyl mat on floors because it stops the draft coming in from under the floor.

The draft?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm going off my experience living in apartments with old wood floors. Probably did need to be refinished but there were spaces between the boards and divots that caught dirt and crumbs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

The draft?

Yes you know when you're sleeping in your bed and all of a sudden some guy squeezes through the cracks in the bedroom floor, shakes you awake, and starts screaming "GET UP DUDE WE'RE SENDING YOU TO VIET NAM!"?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yes you know when you're sleeping in your bed and all of a sudden some guy squeezes through the cracks in the bedroom floor, shakes you awake, and starts screaming "GET UP DUDE WE'RE SENDING YOU TO VIET NAM!"?

I’m Canadian

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

I’m Canadian

Oh I'm sorry, I'll try to explain it slower.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Kitchen options:

Wood flooring - will get dirty, annoying to clean, not that water resistant. If you like this, then you need to match your living room
LVT: If it's not the same LVT as your bathroom, then youre doing it wrong
Tile: Probably will last longer than LVT. I'd go with this, but then you have to deal with where to transition!

Bedroom - do whatever you want. If you want to be a unique snowflake you can even make it different from your other materials. I'd probably go with the same color as your other bedrooms though personally.

Is lvt the same as lvp, just looks more like traditional tile?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

shadow puppet of a posted:

Also, here is spoa's tasteless high end ontario animal corpse home decor of the week:

They also have a really tacky in-stone floor pop-up outdoor LCD television but this series only focuses on animal death.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
surprised there's no knick knacks or clutter perched on those kitsch-rear end irregularly sized log ends

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Help me solve this interior design problem.

In the upstairs lounge, the previous home owners have decided to tack on a series of evenly spaced out empty frames to the wall and troweled in random plaster texturing inside the frame. There are a series of 5 empty frames with this god awful texturing. I have no idea how the hell I can fix this.

It looks like absolute dog poo poo. If I sand it down, I'll create an absolute poo poo storm of fine dust. I feel like it sticks out too much to skim coat. How do I unfuck this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's laminated hardwood, so technically maybe plywood. It's being replaced by 'engineered', which is a term for mdf with some grainy looking but vinyl coating.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It really ties the room together.