Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
S-Class Freighter: $180,000,000
S-Class Starship: $8 - $120,000,000 (can own 6 total)
Backpack Slots: $50,000 - $1,000,000 (108 total)
Starship Slots: $1 - $300,000,000/slot (up to 48, across 6 starships)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish there was a way to upgrade a lower-rank mod that's already installed, at least since I last played. Just so I don't have to miser or skip out on tiers.

E.g It costs 1000 bits to buy an S-Rank Thagomizer, or 700 bits to upgrade from a previously installed B-Rank Thagomizer.

Just go straight for the s-rank ones, the lower tiers just aren't worth buying.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

blarzgh posted:

S-Class Freighter: $180,000,000
S-Class Starship: $8 - $120,000,000 (can own 6 total)
Backpack Slots: $50,000 - $1,000,000 (108 total)
Starship Slots: $1 - $300,000,000/slot (up to 48, across 6 starships)

yep that's my bad then. I got rich when it was much easier to stack units. just realized I only have an A class freighter, what's the difference, just hyperdrive range?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just thought flipping ships would be fun :shrug:

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

I just thought flipping ships would be fun :shrug:

What are you, some kind of DEVIANT?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
we all got hobbies mang

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't follow anyone's advice until you hate your own method. That's my mantra.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Shinjobi posted:

Don't follow anyone's advice until you hate your own method. That's my mantra.

yeah, i agree and this is the main reason to not use the cheaty cobalt method i mentioned—the progression in blarzgh's operation seems like a fun way to structure it and make progress along a path toward ridiculous amounts of space cash. the cobalt thing gets it done, but there's literally no challenge to it and it's the same thing over and over. i started using it because i dialed into how i like to play (travel from planet to planet taking photos and feeding dinosaurs) but since that wasn't a money-maker and i'm not into farming, the easy route got me back to doing the stuff i enjoy. had i known about it from the start i wouldn't have seen nearly as much of the game looking for different ways to make money.

it also gave me a new appreciation for the nexus currency, too, since i still get introduced to new missions because there's no quicksilver exploit (that i know of) and i needed those purple jets :black101:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I now have a 10 a day circuit board farm up and running with a small side operation to make living glass out of any extra frost crystals. I also have 6 mines running ranging from magnetised ferrite to activated indium and all A or S class. They are only small scale to start but the farm and the mines bring in about 32m units a day and all can be expanded in the future.
Took a few days to get set up, collecting all the materials for the plants (seriously you need 80 star brambles and it takes 50 star bulbs to make 1 plant) and finding good mining spots on decent planets, but once it's going it just takes a few minutes to collect everything, craft the circuit boards and teleport to various stations to sell it all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Freighter missions are even easier now if you've managed to trade up to an S-class freighter. I get something like a +100% bonus to all mission statistics now, so I can get five-star ratings with like two ships. (one main, one support to save on fuel)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I found a haunted moon. It was pretty spooky

Also a superheated planet that somehow had water?? Very immersion breaking

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I found a haunted moon. It was pretty spooky

Also a superheated planet that somehow had water?? Very immersion breaking

You do know that the boiling point of water goes up as pressure increases, correct? Could've been a 10/100/1000x earth atmo pressure planet.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ambaire posted:

You do know that the boiling point of water goes up as pressure increases, correct? Could've been a 10/100/1000x earth atmo pressure planet.

I actually didn’t! Immersion restored

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

I actually didn’t! Immersion restored

Although after googling it, seems I wasn't quite correct. There seems to be a critical point thing where the highest boiling point of water is something like 647 K (374C) at 3200 psi (218 atmospheres)... and under those conditions, only one phase of water exists.

Fascinating.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

It's all a simulation. Anything can happen, even frequent storms with enough heat to combust just about every organic compound yet somehow life thrives. Except you. You need a suit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Your need for a suit is simulated.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

second playthrough of a derelict freighter went much spookier than the first. has anyone attacked the horrifying nests and if so what's in them/what do you get for it ?

can confirm the bulkhead expansion bug is still working. I left myself a row of storage yet unlocked though, it didn't feel right to max it out in one go.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

slicing up eyeballs posted:

second playthrough of a derelict freighter went much spookier than the first. has anyone attacked the horrifying nests and if so what's in them/what do you get for it ?

Lots and lots and lots of acid spitting critters. You get living slime from them which I think refines into nanites.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I did my first derelict freighter and it was kind of cool, a little Dead Spacy which I liked.

The audio logs are totally incomprehensible though. Is the captain alive? fuckin I don't know when the audio logs are:

// Date // REDACTED // We were in a -KSHHHT- suddenly -KSSHT- Sentinels stopped attacking? LOG ENDS

How do I get a better frigate? Looks like you can upgrade your ship at a space station but not your frigate the same way. Got a kind of ugly C class one and don't know how to get an S-class.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every ~5 jumps you trigger a freighter rescue mission. Only this time since you have a freighter, it costs money and you trade in your existing one. You can do the same thing mentioned before and save before making that triggering jump.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
also you can just buy them outright if you see them floating around a system, fly towards the fleet and an icon should pop up over one of them

3 star economies have better chances of spawning high class freighters

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

An S class freighter costs around 178,000,000 units though.

I think you get a discount on sale price if you rescue them from pirates.

Helith fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 21, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I get a better frigate? Looks like you can upgrade your ship at a space station but not your frigate the same way. Got a kind of ugly C class one and don't know how to get an S-class.

Vasudus posted:

Every ~5 jumps you trigger a freighter rescue mission. Only this time since you have a freighter, it costs money and you trade in your existing one. You can do the same thing mentioned before and save before making that triggering jump.

Also, some notes:

There are "regular" freighters floating around, like the ones you can buy, and sometimes your triggered rescue missions will be to save a "regular" freighter. These are the generic ones.
i.e

And then there are the Capital Ships. These are the big, badass ones. There is a Robocop type

and a Star Destroyer type.

They each come in 3 sizes. Small, medium, and large, as defined by the number of middle sections they have. Read this for more details.

Class is not super important, as all it does is increase your hyperdrive range a bit. They all come with 34 slots.

blarzgh posted:

Shorter version of the freighter hunting tutorial:
1.get in your spaceship - Warp, land on a planet, manual save, warp, planet, save, warp, save until your next warp results in a freighter under attack. (Every 5-6 warps triggers a freighter attack on the next warp).
2. Don't Save. Reload, and warp to different systems, reloading without saving, until you see the freighter you want (each system has a pre-set freighter, design/size/color).
3. When you see the freighter you want, STOP. WRITE DOWN THE SYSTEM YOURE IN. Don't Save, don't reload.
4. Kill the pirates, board the freighter, talk to the captain. The ship's class (A-S) and # of slots spawns randomly when you warp in. If you like it, buy it.
5. If you want to re-roll until you get an S Class, reload your Manual Save (because you have an autosave from getting out of your ship in the hangar), look at the name of the system you WROTE DOWN, and warp back in, wash, rinse, repeat!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

wait so capital ships ONLY spawn in freighter rescue missions?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is it possible to encounter freighters that aren't being attacked by pirates? I can't remember the last time that happened

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Is it possible to encounter freighters that aren't being attacked by pirates? I can't remember the last time that happened

they spawn all the time in certain systems, I think more commonly in higher economies

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

wait so capital ships ONLY spawn in freighter rescue missions?

Correct.

haveblue posted:

Yes, just fly around and when you see a fleet warp in, it is always accompanied by a freighter that you can land on and purchase.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I was honestly expecting this game to be a bit more barren in terms of NPCs. It's jarring when you step foot on a virgin unexplored planet and the game is like DISCOVERED BY YOU, then a random ship roars overhead, shaking your pov, and you can hear the alien inside laughing at your dumb rear end

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I was honestly expecting this game to be a bit more barren in terms of NPCs. It's jarring when you step foot on a virgin unexplored planet and the game is like DISCOVERED BY YOU, then a random ship roars overhead, shaking your pov, and you can hear the alien inside laughing at your dumb rear end

yeah you're basically space columbus in this game, most everywhere you "discover" already has inhabitants and hell even an economy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

thread title

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

It seems like I'm getting damaged frigates on at least 50% of 1 to 3-star missions. Sending out multiple frigates per mission doesn't help - I just end up with two damaged ships instead of one. What am I doing wrong - should I just let them die and buy better ones?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Send more frigates. You want to be at least one star over the mission difficulty.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sure I could if I wanted to, but how does aerial combat typically roll when I'm still within atmosphere? Some days I just feel like being a dick to the ships buzzing overhead.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Baby Proof posted:

It seems like I'm getting damaged frigates on at least 50% of 1 to 3-star missions. Sending out multiple frigates per mission doesn't help - I just end up with two damaged ships instead of one. What am I doing wrong - should I just let them die and buy better ones?

DONT SELL YOUR FRIGATES (more on this later)

Whether your frigate comes back damaged is a function of

- Your Frigate's Class
- The excess number of stars your fleet goes out with (4 star fleet on a 2 star mission less likely to come back damages than a 3 star fleet on a 2 star mission)
- Your Freighter's stats (as of this last update)

The key thing to minimize damage is to go one extra star per mission. Send out 4 stars worth of fleet for a 3 star mission. 2 extra stars is better, but fuel costs at all that.

Damage is just going to happen sometimes. Even my maxed out, S-Class frigates come back damaged sometimes, though its usually only 1 or 2 per 10 ships deployed across 5 missions.

(Here is the more on this later) Every time you send out a Frigate, it 'levels up' a little bit. Eventually, it will upgrade from whatever class it starts out as to an S Class. This is good, it means higher rewards, less fuel to deploy, better stats, more stars, etc. It also gets a small bump every mission to its [damage resistance].

When it reaches S Class, it will stop leveling up, HOWEVER, it will keep getting that tiny bump to [damage resistance], even after it hits S- Class! So the best practice is to just keep sending them out, keep fueling them up and repairing them, and keep them earning that damage resistance buff.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I found a ship that looks like an imperial shuttle with its wings folded up and i was very dispapointed to find that the wings do NOT lower in flight :(

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I found a ship that looks like an imperial shuttle with its wings folded up and i was very dispapointed to find that the wings do NOT lower in flight :(

some exotics do, but the wings fold straight down during flight. Makes a giant fin/rudder.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is internally consistent with the storyline at least.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh yeah, I'm pillaging all those Colbalt stalagmites

You thought this was Gek territory? That's cute.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The storyline it eventually gained, sure. At launch they didn't have abandoned systems and literally every planet was covered with a uniform blanket of points of interest every few hundred units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

haveblue posted:

The storyline it eventually gained, sure. At launch they didn't have abandoned systems and literally every planet was covered with a uniform blanket of points of interest every few hundred units.

Yeah ive heard this had a rough launch lol