Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I’m trying to figure out how to convert some yeast paste I got from a friend into recipes with dry active yeast. She originally said to take whatever the dry active grams are and double it but that resulted with my last bread attempt “exploding” while baking.

I also have a pizza dough in the fridge almost escaping the bowl I normally use for the first rise when I use dry active.

Hell I’m not even sure what it’s called. It’s a super sticky paste shaped in a little brick. Any help would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Sacred Cow posted:

I’m trying to figure out how to convert some yeast paste I got from a friend into recipes with dry active yeast. She originally said to take whatever the dry active grams are and double it but that resulted with my last bread attempt “exploding” while baking.

I also have a pizza dough in the fridge almost escaping the bowl I normally use for the first rise when I use dry active.

Hell I’m not even sure what it’s called. It’s a super sticky paste shaped in a little brick. Any help would be awesome.

I'd always heard divide/multiply by 3 for fresh yeast.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

effika posted:

I'd always heard divide/multiply by 3 for fresh yeast.

Ok so it is fresh yeast. Just about all the articles I saw showed fresh as a chalky cube you break up. Now that I’m looking at some more videos, the paste I have foams up like crazy when you add sugar the same way the chalky stuff does.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. KA’s site suggests multiplying by 4? Or would that be 3.3...Either way I’ll stick to dry active going forward.

Edit - Did the conversion the wrong direction.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 19, 2020

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Sacred Cow posted:

Ok so it is fresh yeast. Just about all the articles I saw showed fresh as a chalky cube you break up. Now that I’m looking at some more videos, the paste I have foams up like crazy when you add sugar the same way the chalky stuff does.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. KA’s site suggests multiplying by 4? Or would that be 3.3...Either way I’ll stick to dry active going forward.

Edit - Did the conversion the wrong direction.

I've been using this site for ages and it seems to work pretty well: https://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/yeast_converter.html

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Eeyo posted:

With rye it probably depends a little on the type of flour, there's a lot of different kinds. Back when I had a sourdough starter, I was buying some "light rye" flour from the grocery coop and I could do 50/50 light rye/white flour pretty easily without noticing the rye very much.

Now I've been buying some whole-grain rye (it says vollkornmehl on it) and I've been doing about 13% (by total weight of the flour) and it's definitely noticeably rye-like. Makes the dough nice and gray lol.

Speaking of rye flour, does it tend to make dough a little stickier than it otherwise would be? My dough is about 66% hydration and it's difficult to handle. Or is 66% still in the region of sticky? Shaping it is quite difficult since when I do the pulls to get the skin it just exposes the extremely sticky interior.

Yeah in my limited experience rye produces really sticky messy doughs and dense loaves. I've experimented with a few different types of flour just for giggles (and quarantine boredom) using a basic yeasted loaf. Only recently have I started trying sourdough. I was doing 75% bread flour, 25% other stuff and kept notes on how they turned out.

It's just a fact that anything other than white bread flour is going to result in a more difficult to handle dough, less rise, and a denser loaf. I personally like dense, heavy, strong-flavored breads but I get that doesn't work for everyone's tastes.

Whole wheat, spelt, barley, and teff (Ethiopian grain used for injera) at 25% all added distinctly different flavors and colors. The dough was only slightly harder to handle and while the bread rose less it wasn't super dense. All in all, I feel these don't change the dough and final product hugely, they're pretty easy to work with. Barley in particular was a big hit with my family, I also tried a 50% barley bread and they especially loved that toasted.

Rye is trickier. The flavor is strong even at smaller amounts and it makes the dough sticky and difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love rye, it's just a bit tougher to work with than the above grains and the flavor of a rye-heavy bread is unappealing to some.

I have some buckwheat and I thought about ordering some amaranth flour, I haven't tried either yet.

I'm going to make another couple loaves this week, I can do a round with one of the weird grains above and post results.

edit: like if someone wants to request a specific grain and % I'll do that side-by-side with a white bread flour loaf this week.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 19, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Just made my first pizza crust from sourdough discard. This is going to be be very fruitful in the future...

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Chad Sexington posted:

Just made my first pizza crust from sourdough discard. This is going to be be very fruitful in the future...

Yeah, I use it to make a foccaussia style bread for soup, I just make a little extra every weekend with my normal bake and let it slow rise in the fridge in a Tupperware

The missus loves it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fritz the Horse posted:

Whole wheat, spelt, barley, and teff (Ethiopian grain used for injera) at 25% all added distinctly different flavors and colors.
What elf magic did you have in play to get teff to work at all? I tried a small percentage of it for some flavor in baguette dough and it turned it completely into slop. I looked it up and apparently this is a thing? It manages to take in a lot of water up-front and then poo poo it all out later--kind of like what I do when I suck in my soul when working and blow it out afterwards.

I'll grant this was a one-off experience and baguette dough is normally pretty wet anyways, but this one little change turned the dough into a batter. I couldn't account for any other factors. It was 30g teff to 590 bread flour. That's just 5%.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What elf magic did you have in play to get teff to work at all? I tried a small percentage of it for some flavor in baguette dough and it turned it completely into slop. I looked it up and apparently this is a thing? It manages to take in a lot of water up-front and then poo poo it all out later--kind of like what I do when I suck in my soul when working and blow it out afterwards.

I'll grant this was a one-off experience and baguette dough is normally pretty wet anyways, but this one little change turned the dough into a batter. I couldn't account for any other factors. It was 30g teff to 590 bread flour. That's just 5%.
I keep pretty good notes on all my breadmaking experiments both because I'm a scientist and baking is definitely a science. I don't recall or have in my notes the dough being overly difficult to work with. I did a simple yeasted loaf recipe, I'm not familiar with baguettes. I did amend it with a bit of gluten powder which I didn't do for the wheat-adjacent flours (barley, rye, spelt, whole wheat) though in retrospect it might've helped the rye be less of a sticky monster. Here's my exact recipe (500g or about 1lb loaf);

360g whole wheat flour (why on earth did I not use bread flour??)
125g teff flour (25%)
15g wheat gluten
15g olive oil
8g salt
7g SAF red yeast

then
360g water (72% hydration)

~10min knead, 1 hour rise, shape, 1 hour rise, bake @400F for 45min in standard 9x5in loaf tin

the final result was this:

brown with a sort of grayish tinge, somewhat dense but springy, spongey, and a nice taste

This was like two months ago at the start of quarantine, I can try it again this week. I love the taste of injera and recall this loaf having an earthy iron-y taste somewhat like injera.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m awaiting a friend’s verdict on his black peppercorn and Parmesan sourdough loaf, but the ingredient mix sounds promising.

Thank you for suggesting this. Had like 3 oz of shredded Parmesan sitting around and just added it and some black pepper to my usual sourdough recipe and it came out really nice.

Might be inspiration to try and tackle a jalapeno cheddar loaf again. I tried a no knead version in the past and it came out a little flat, but I think my sourdough could give it some volume.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My curiosity is going to get the better of me and I'm going to try a 100% oat loaf

I know it will likely be trash, but I'm curious as to what extreme I'm going towards when I add blended oats to my loaf

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Jestery posted:

My curiosity is going to get the better of me and I'm going to try a 100% oat loaf

I know it will likely be trash, but I'm curious as to what extreme I'm going towards when I add blended oats to my loaf

It'll probably taste fine, it'll just be harder to work with the dough and it won't rise nearly as much so you'll end up with a denser, heavier, oatier loaf. I like heavy breads, but not everyone does.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There is no gluten in oats so you’ll just end up with a massive oatcake.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

therattle posted:

There is no gluten in oats so you’ll just end up with a massive oatcake.

I have no doubt to the quality of it, but I'm just interested more than anything

Might be a bit more scientific and do a 25-50-75-100% batches

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fritz the Horse posted:

125g teff flour (25%)

then
360g water (72% hydration)

~10min knead, 1 hour rise, shape, 1 hour rise, bake @400F for 45min in standard 9x5in loaf tin

I was doing 70% hydration with 5% teff, but I was also trying to do baguettes. So I had them out on the cloths and was trying to bake them in the pizza oven directly on the bricks. I had done baguettes at a similar hydration before, but this batch was eating up all the flour I had worked into the cloth to keep it from sticking. I'm guessing you dodged a bullet by using the tin.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Going to post my basic sourdough because I'm happy with how it turned out, and I've taken some advice from the thread.

I now bake them in an upside down dutch oven with a rounded lid, which is why it's got a rounded bottom. Occasionally the pot tips over and the whole thing looks like an aerofoil. I have given up on scoring.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Out of nowhere I’ve found I’ve been having the tops of my loaf almost scorched with the sides remaining soft/blonde.
I haven’t changed anything about my recipe or process so I’m I’m not sure what’s causing this.

This is with 50g of starter, 500g strong white BF, 10g salt and 350g of water. 5 sets of folds over about a 6 hour period in a 75 degree kitchen followed by 13 hours in the fridge in a banneton dusted with rice flour. (Foodbod recipe)

Cooked in a covered Dutch oven the whole bake starting in a cold oven set to 475 for 50 mins.

[

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Making Ken Forkish's 80% biga again today. Pictures from last time I did this.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape
How's the Forkish pizza book? On the one hand I want to buy it. On the other, I'm curious how many chapters are about the heroic narrative of "striking it rich in software and then opening my own bakery in Portland once I learned how to read zoning regulations."

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

booack posted:

How's the Forkish pizza book? On the one hand I want to buy it. On the other, I'm curious how many chapters are about the heroic narrative of "striking it rich in software and then opening my own bakery in Portland once I learned how to read zoning regulations."

It’s good. The 24-48 hour pizza dough is worth the price of admission. I also like his pizza videos but I don’t have much to compare them to.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape

Dangerllama posted:

It’s good. The 24-48 hour pizza dough is worth the price of admission. I also like his pizza videos but I don’t have much to compare them to.

Ah yeah... alright. I wonder how it compares to the Pizza Bible.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Dangerllama posted:

Seconded. And the technique he uses (broiler for a while, turn off broiler, dress with sauce only, cook for 4 minutes, dress with the rest of the toppings, cook 1 minute, broiler for a few minutes until done) upped my pizza game to about as good as it can get in a regular oven until I finally splurge on a Ooni or Roccbox.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape

blixa posted:

Seconded. And the technique he uses (broiler for a while, turn off broiler, dress with sauce only, cook for 4 minutes, dress with the rest of the toppings, cook 1 minute, broiler for a few minutes until done) upped my pizza game to about as good as it can get in a regular oven until I finally splurge on a Ooni or Roccbox.

Oh I think I've tried this technique. It works really well in my crappy oven.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

After bulk ferment, I did a pre-shape on my dough on the counter and... promptly forgot about it for two hours.

Now retarding in the fridge, but on an experimental adventure in overproofing. I do kind of wonder whether it would be better to just pop in the oven now or if the overnight chill just gives it more chance to overproof.

e: I just went ahead and baked it and it turned out fine.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 29, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got a half batch of that more-butter-than-flour doughnut dough sitting in the fridge. If I stop posting after today, then assume I suffered a heart attack in my home and call an ambulance. They'll be able to triangulate me if you tell them I'm a goon because they keep a database of all the fatties they have to haul in the flatbed ambulance.

Edit - Trip Report: These things are like doughnut-shaped funnel cakes. Very greasy. Was it expected I use a poo poo ton more flour in general when handling them? They were really hard to work with. It's novel but absolutely overwhelming from the fat and grease. It wouldn't be something I'd normally call a doughnut and they're really different from any other kinds I've ever made before.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 30, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Was gonna do this recipe

https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cooking-techniques-recipes/sandwich-bread-white-bread-cinnamon-swirl-everything-bagel

He recommends 1% or skim milk, but says some recipes say you can use half whole milk and half water. Can I just do that?

I don't really care for skim milk so I won't probably end up drinking it but I do have whole milk around, will it be noticeably worse if I just use the half whole milk and half water

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Was gonna do this recipe

https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cooking-techniques-recipes/sandwich-bread-white-bread-cinnamon-swirl-everything-bagel

He recommends 1% or skim milk, but says some recipes say you can use half whole milk and half water. Can I just do that?

I don't really care for skim milk so I won't probably end up drinking it but I do have whole milk around, will it be noticeably worse if I just use the half whole milk and half water

I would just use all whole milk if that is what you've got, it's mostly just some extra fat, it probably won't make a huge difference. If it turns out horrible for some reason you can switch next time. Doing the half and half like some recipes say would be fine as well I'm sure.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Does anyone want a copy of The Bread Bakers Apprentice by Reinhart? Pay shipping* and it's yours. PM me.

*For no extra charge, I will include printouts of multi-strand braiding instructions bookmarking the challah recipe. But you won't get the dirty napkin bookmarking the baguette recipe, that one I'm keeping

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the thing that lockdown has taught me, and which was a major hangup in my kitchen working, is that bread is loving easy and not hard at all. you can gently caress up almost any aspect of Bread and it will still be Food even if it sucks. i forgot to salt a dough and still ate the whole resulting loaf with just extra salt on the butter.

that being said, it has also taught me that you can get as scientific and anal with the process as you want and thats fun too. but for me, just being able to Food from raw flour was a huge step.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You're a better man than me. I'm not a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't eat unsalted bread.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Stringent posted:

You're a better man than me. I'm not a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't eat unsalted bread.

the first bite was a wild moment of Something Is Wrong but once i figured out what i omitted it was actually fine, toasted with butter and oc salt. definitely a mistake i wont make twice

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chard posted:

the thing that lockdown has taught me, and which was a major hangup in my kitchen working, is that bread is loving easy and not hard at all. you can gently caress up almost any aspect of Bread and it will still be Food even if it sucks. i forgot to salt a dough and still ate the whole resulting loaf with just extra salt on the butter.

that being said, it has also taught me that you can get as scientific and anal with the process as you want and thats fun too. but for me, just being able to Food from raw flour was a huge step.

Baking bread is kinda like grades in school. You can put in a bunch of effort, be scientific with all the different variables, and get everything dialed in for an A+, or you can get a solid B/C just by following the general process and ratios for a loaf. Sure I’ll go for the best loaf possible if family is coming over for dinner, but Cs get degrees when I want a low effort sandwich bread for lunches.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
hmm I made it with only whole milk and put it in the fridge overnight and it seems super dense/dry, I wonder if the extra fat in the whole milk sort of was there in the volume insead of water or made it drier in some other way somehow. the recipe is I think 360 g flour/220 ml of milk and to me it feels drier than a 61% hydration

that or I just didn't measure it right!

well hopefully it's still pretty edible

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
In my continued experimentation with weird flours, I did buckwheat this weekend.

This is 25% buckwheat flour, 75% King Arthur bread flour.

I'm unimpressed. It had a nice texture but the flavor was unremarkable and it was a sticky mess to work with. Rye is similarly a bit difficult to work with, but at least rye has a very distinct flavor it adds.

I guess I'll use the rest of the buckwheat flour for pancakes or something, I've heard people rave about buckwheat pancakes.

So far barley bread has been the biggest hit in my family, everyone really enjoyed my 25% barley loaves.

I think I'll try spelt again next weekend.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Buckwheat crepes are :discourse:. Do a galette complète and never look back

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Barley flour in bread is amazing:allears:

We have some Tibetan friends that I take a loaf to whenever we visit them they love it so much.

I roast it in the oven first then grind it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've tried about 5 different recipes for a basic round white bread 'county' loaf in a dutch oven. And even with wildly different methods like no-knead vs mixer, multiday rests in fridge vs same day, instant vs active-dry yeast, different varieties of folding & shaping, bread flour vs AP flour, making a basic overnight 'starter' thing, etc... the result is always absolutely exactly the same.

1) The initial bulk rise/ferment works fine.
2) After knocking it down and shaping there is never any additional rise, it only settles out sideways.
3) There is absolutely zero oven spring/rise in the oven. (Using a preheated dutch oven at 450)
4) The outer crust is usually pretty good thanks to the dutch oven.
5) There are lots of air bubbles inside but they are all small/even, almost cake-like appearance.
6) The inside of the bread has an odd shiny/plastic-y/eggy texture that's very unpleasant.

I can't over-exaggerate how different some of these recipes are, it's simply astonishing to me that they all always come out with the exact same problem. And it's borderline inedible. I'd appreciate any suggestions at all, I'm totally at a loss of what else to change.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Beat it down and shape it earlier. Your kitchens probably warmer and it's rising too much too early? Idk

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

6) The inside of the bread has an odd shiny/plastic-y/eggy texture that's very unpleasant.

This one is probably a hydration issue, I think. I had this problem with a couple of my first attempts at sourdough, and it came with some other symptoms that I connect with high hydration dough - difficult to handle, doesn't keep a good shape regardless of how much tension you get on the outside, that sort of thing. I cut the water a little and had much better results the next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

This one is probably a hydration issue, I think. I had this problem with a couple of my first attempts at sourdough, and it came with some other symptoms that I connect with high hydration dough - difficult to handle, doesn't keep a good shape regardless of how much tension you get on the outside, that sort of thing. I cut the water a little and had much better results the next time.

This is interesting because I've been extremely careful weighing everything. All these are intentionally pretty high hydration it seems like. But I guess that can exacerbate problems with gluten development too? Taking a look online at some comparisons though it seems like I might favor a lower hydration bread that has closer to a store bought texture (dryer but less big airy holes in it) anyway.