Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ola posted:

If we're measuring fossil vs EV safety on brake performance in various edge cases, let's include overheating brakes from long downhills vs regen. And the various hill hold, creep modes etc which in EVs can be dependent on software checking for open doors and fastened safety belts, vs an idling fossil autobox which can be put in drive by a toddler or a dog.

In an ICE car on a long downhill you just put it in a lower gear though, not ride the brakes. This has been the case for as long as cars have been around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I can’t imagine the regen decelerating would be in any way faster than depressing the brake pedal if your foot was already on it.

You should probably go and drive a Model 3 so you don’t have to imagine anything.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In an ICE car on a long downhill you just put it in a lower gear though, not ride the brakes. This has been the case for as long as cars have been around.

That depends on the steepness of the hill, the engine, the turns and the speed limit. Diesels struggle with engine braking for instance, or you might be descending into serpentine turns. Every EV I've driven has been better and safer than any ICE car I've driven in long downhills, vastly so in twisty ones. With the exception of a fully charged one of course.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Cardiac posted:

A friend that works with development at Volvo said that the Android platform saves Volvo from having their own software suite that needs to be kept updated for the long lifespan of a car and instead they can make their own additions on top of the android os.

Does it get more than 3 years of security updates?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Ola posted:

That depends on the steepness of the hill, the engine, the turns and the speed limit. Diesels struggle with engine braking for instance, or you might be descending into serpentine turns. Every EV I've driven has been better and safer than any ICE car I've driven in long downhills, vastly so in twisty ones. With the exception of a fully charged one of course.
Sorry I have to beg to differ slightly here. My Model 3 is about 800 pounds heavier than the physically larger Lexus sedan it replaced because of the battery system and AWD. I've now had both down roads in my local hills and regardless of braking system performance the weight makes the older car much easier to sling around and slow down technical downhills.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

You should probably go and drive a Model 3 so you don’t have to imagine anything.

Is this the latest “you can tell who has been to the track and who hasn’t” throwaway comment?

I’ve driven one. I would much rather have my foot on the brake.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Agreed. Ya’ll are trying to make a mountain out of thin air. Unless you’re two-foot driving your auto-trans ICE, the Tesla is actually better at the situation being argued.

The one criticism I would level at Tesla’s regen blending modes is that setting regen to low currently turns regen down, and you can’t get the rest of the available regen via the brake pedal. It essentially turns off a large portion of the regen range, requiring you to turn that energy into heat via the service brakes, rather than electricity (and some heat) via the drive pack. Ideally setting it to low would shift the regen blend to the brake pedal, so that it behaves more like an ICE car.

I get their reasoning (this isn’t an ICE, why simulate the specific driving dynamics of what we’re trying to make obsolete,) and even admire it a bit, but the existence of creep mode makes it a little hypocritical.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ola posted:

Diesels struggle with engine braking for instance, or you might be descending into serpentine turns. Every EV I've driven has been better and safer than any ICE car I've driven in long downhills, vastly so in twisty ones. With the exception of a fully charged one of course.

Jake brakes! :haw:

now I'm imagining putting in Jake brake sound effects to a EV truck in high regen mode going downhill...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Is this the latest “you can tell who has been to the track and who hasn’t” throwaway comment?

I’ve driven one. I would much rather have my foot on the brake.

The deceleration at the highest regen setting is quite drastic so that's probably why he is having trouble believing your post. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so perhaps you drove one before the late 2018 regen update, apparently the behavior changed quite a bit. Regardless the brake remains there if you want to keep your foot over that instead. I practice defensive driving and I've had to use the brake maybe a handful of times since getting my car. The actual use of the brake remains the same - see situation occurring, shift foot from accelerator to brake. I can't say having an EV is any better or worse in this respect but the one pedal driving is definitely more convenient.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I went back to an article about the development of Track Mode V2 because I trust Randy Pobst's opinion on driving dynamics and he helped fix the Model 3. What's interesting is that Track mode originally increased regen across the board because they felt the transition to slowing was faster with strong regen. They've kept some of this for high speeds but for lower speeds Randy had them dial back regen to closer match a conventional car so that he could trail brake into corners easier. I think it's that ability to more finely feather braking control that I prefer which is why I use low regen.

quote:

I brought along a little model of a Tesla and handed it to an engineer, asking him to act out what exactly is going on as Track mode traverses a typical corner. Immediately, there's something to explain. Track mode noticeably amplifies lift-accelerator regen, which eases the thermal load on the brakes. But it also shrinks the transition from acceleration to braking into a blink: just lift your right foot. Couldn't be quicker. . . .

Randy, from his perch on that barstool, explains the same thing but in its full-scale, tire-screeching, g-tugging, adrenaline-addled reality: "That prototype version of Track mode a few weeks ago was … inconsistent. I had this distinct impression of approaching a corner flat-out and thinking, 'I wonder what's going to happen?' But this one (with the updated software) is far, far better."

The engineer explains that to provide more driver confidence, the software does not tiptoe quite so close to the edge. As part of his consulting work, Randy notes: "One thing we did was reduce the regenerative braking at lower speed. There's naturally less of it at higher speeds because the battery can't absorb that rate of power. But the last time we were out here, the car kept slowing down a lot when I'd lift off the accelerator; they showed me the data, and it's about 0.3 g of deceleration. The trouble is that I'm a trail-braker, and it's adding that strong brake force while I'm turning. Now it's less, more like a normal car's engine braking. This is a huge step forward.

"At first there was too much front regen, which made it pushy on the entry phase, so they shifted it to the back," he continues. "There's a tremendous amount of torque here [450 hp and 471 lb-ft of torque], so the car can be slid around a little bit—but actually not that much because the front motor comes back in and balances everything out. At the apex, it has a little bit of initial power oversteer from the rear motor, then it fixes itself and wants to power understeer. We made some progress on refining all that. I tried the car on the Pilot Sport Cup 2s and Brembo pads, and it was really hooked up."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2019/tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode-release-version-review/

Let me be clear that I don't think there is a wrong way to drive an EV and I have no issue with high regen being used by the vast majority of people. But I prefer low regen and think there is a clear purpose for it not just being a luddite.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 21, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I love that we're having this argument in 2020 because Tesla when my 2007 Prius does the exact same thing completely seamlessly and transparently the driver. I wish it had less "flywheel effect" and slowed more rapidly on lifting, but the regen capacity is obviously a lot less with a little NiMH battery and motor generator.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Finger Prince posted:

I love that we're having this argument in 2020 because Tesla when my 2007 Prius does the exact same thing completely seamlessly and transparently the driver. I wish it had less "flywheel effect" and slowed more rapidly on lifting, but the regen capacity is obviously a lot less with a little NiMH battery and motor generator.
I don't see it as much of an argument. Instead it's more of a discussion of preference as to braking behavior and the implementation of regen.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

harperdc posted:

Jake brakes! :haw:

now I'm imagining putting in Jake brake sound effects to a EV truck in high regen mode going downhill...

buh buh buh buh buh buh buhb uh buh

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

No, it just seems that someone who hasn’t driven one has no concept of how powerful the regen braking can be, and probably shouldn’t write off one pedal driving in the Model 3?

It doesn’t drive like an ICE with an auto trans. It might even work better because the regen braking beginning as soon as your foot starts coming off the accelerator would get most of the weight transfer out of the way before you even touch the friction brakes.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Ola posted:

And the various hill hold, creep modes etc which in EVs can be dependent on software checking for open doors and fastened safety belts, vs an idling fossil autobox which can be put in drive by a toddler or a dog.

As far as kids putting cars in drive, let's not forget that a toddler put a model X in drive and pressed their pregnant mother against a wall, causing a (cw body horror) gently caress ton of broken bones and sent her into immediate premature labor at the hospital.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ola posted:

If we're measuring fossil vs EV safety on brake performance in various edge cases, let's include overheating brakes from long downhills vs regen. And the various hill hold, creep modes etc which in EVs can be dependent on software checking for open doors and fastened safety belts, vs an idling fossil autobox which can be put in drive by a toddler or a dog.

Why do you think ICE vehicles can't have the same checks?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
One of the reasons I dislike one pedal driving is I want to drive defensively and cover the brake in situations where it's appropriate, but still maintain my cruising speed. If you have one pedal mode active, any time you cover the brake you are forced to drastically slow down, and only at a rate that is not strong enough for any sort of emergency stopping. Sure you can also use cruise control but I just prefer the slight slowdown you get off a weak regen coast going into those situations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why do you think ICE vehicles can't have the same checks?

If they're mechanically shifted they can't. But electronically shifted can, but on the other hand an EV can have any degree of regen including not at all if set up so.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Well this thread wont last long.

I rented a model 3 to test it a year or so ago and I used the brake once (emergency braking, probably wasn't needed but rental so I didn't want to take any risks).
I liked the one pedal driving, although I'm not sure if it was in that mode or somesuch, but I had turned on regen brake to the max. It slowed down significantly faster than my manual ICE cars (diesel and gasoline VW Golfs).
I'll add that I'm very light on the brakes in my ICE cars and usually slow down most of the way with downshifting/engine braking/coasting and planning for anticipated stops/slowdowns. So it was a pretty easy switch for me to do and felt pleasant.
I was also abusing autopilot/lane keep + auto cruise so I wasn't in any situations where I wanted to have my foot over the brake and the car was slowing down too much.
The only other experience I had with this sort of drivetrain setup was with electrical forklifts/pallet jacks, so it might have helped the transition, but it felt natural and a much better evolution to driving than the traditional gas/brake setup of ice cars.

One thing I can see though is getting complacent with all the automatic driving stuff and loosing a bit of reaction time to shifting your foot on the brake for emergency situations. But thats probably going to be trained into our minds as we shift to cars with those automated systems and actually use them.

I did experience the auto emergency brake in the tesla, I tried autopilot on a country road with only side markers (no dividing line) and oh boy did the car not understand anything, treating the road as a single lane one way strip. Whenever it picked up an incoming car, it would slam your face into the dash. Needless to say I switched to manual driving for that portion of road pretty quickly.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

So uh, Ford should really sell this to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3846KFDmFQ

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Westy543 posted:

As far as kids putting cars in drive, let's not forget that a toddler put a model X in drive and pressed their pregnant mother against a wall, causing a (cw body horror) gently caress ton of broken bones and sent her into immediate premature labor at the hospital.

Source on this? I'm really curious how the toddler reached the brake pedal?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

McTinkerson posted:

I don't think the public is ready for 1400 hp and 7 motors (3 in front and 4 in back) :eyepop:. But I'm sure Ford Performance will eventually have a Mach E above the GT using some of that performance programming.

EDIT: It has a hydraulic handbrake system that disconnects power to the rear wheels to set up drifting.

Let's see 1400 hp with a 56.8 kWh battery means that at full 1400 hp power draw you should have 3 minutes and 16 seconds.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 21, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Using the term "fossil" for ICE cars should be probate-able. So unnecessary. An EV running on goal electricity / natural gas is also a fossil car.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

:siren: big oil lobbyist account found :siren:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

McTinkerson posted:

"Unbridled" is a good name for a Mustang ludicrous mode.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Zero One posted:

"Unbridled" is a good name for a Mustang ludicrous mode.

Will there be a "saw a plastic bag in a bush" mode for leaving cars&coffee?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

KillerKatten posted:

Source on this? I'm really curious how the toddler reached the brake pedal?

You can take your pick on a source, he's the first one that came up for me:
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-x-allegedly-hits-pregnant-woman-unintended-acceleration-2019-5

Basically she left her phone in the car, which kept it on, and the babby climbed into the driver's seat.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Remember that a toddler is not using the car the way an adult would by sitting on the seat. They are almost certainly standing on floorboards/pedals with their hands on the steering wheel to hold themselves up. Even the plaintiffs concede that the kid was on the pedals in front of the driver's seat.

This unexpected use is also why a toddler can have an accident with a pistol even though their hands aren't big enough to hold it in the proper manner or strong enough to pull the trigger in a normal way. They hold it in an unexpected way by levering their weight through their hands against the trigger with the muzzle pointed up at them.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 21, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wouldn't be arguing that Teslas are less prone to inadvertently moving into people / objects after the number of them that have crashed into store fronts in parking lots. The drivers blame unintended acceleration, others blame the driver accidentally stomping the throttle instead of the brakes, but even if it's the latter then maybe Joe Public isn't ready for awesome acceleration yet. But no matter the car, people will find a way to do really dumb things with them, it's not an EV/ICE distinction.

Also braking power on any modern car is more than enough to engage ABS, your tires are going to be the biggest factor in stopping distances. If you're talking repeated hard braking like the track that's a different story with brake fade etc, but for day to day driving needs I can't imagine there are any modern vehicles that need an upgrade in braking power.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A toddler is basically an exploit tool. Its snotty hands finds the flaws of your user interface before you can say "why is my ipad in greek".

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

And that's why you need to get your toddler their own gun, so they learn proper gun safety.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I put pin-to-drive on my Model 3 on so my kids can't put it in drive while I'm cleaning the car, and they want to play around and watch Frozen II on the screen.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I taught my 12 year olds to drive already so if I get run over by one of them, you'll know it was 100% deliberate.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 21, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ola posted:

If they're mechanically shifted they can't. But electronically shifted can, but on the other hand an EV can have any degree of regen including not at all if set up so.

Are you time traveling from the 1980s? because all ICE automatic transmissions are electronically shifted. The little lever or buttons is a decoration and user interface, not a direct control interface.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

That's a cool sound

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you time traveling from the 1980s? because all ICE automatic transmissions are electronically shifted. The little lever or buttons is a decoration and user interface, not a direct control interface.

Plenty of 90s and 00s are mechanically shifted. And since we're playing this dumb game of cherry picking corner cases to invent perceived dangers, I can pick those. I won't anymore though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

brand engager posted:

That's a cool sound

While you can't buy that Mach E 1400, you can get a similar sound on two wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2N64uaxB00

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Even though I would never be able to drive a mach e like that for a whole host of reasons that commercial made me want one bad.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

A toddler is basically an exploit tool. Its snotty hands finds the flaws of your user interface before you can say "why is my ipad in greek".

iphone locked for the next 1,234,567,213 minutes please wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

Plenty of 90s and 00s are mechanically shifted.

Such as? Electronic controlled automatics were taking over in the early 90s. Ford and GM were both done converting before OBD2 became standard.