Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Never trust a fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dont mind me, just dropping a deuce

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thepopmonster posted:

Now you've loving gone and done it. What's next? Airplane on a treadmill [1]? Rock that God cannot lift [2]?

This is known as the "Monty Hall" problem (the original host of Let's Make a Deal), or alternately oh my god it's that loving thing again kill it with fire.

The puzzle states there are three doors: one of the three always contains a prize and the rest goats (or nothing. It doesn't loving matter what they have as long as it's not what you want).

The prize is put behind a random door and DOES NOT MOVE. You, the contestant, choose a door (any door). We can call this door #1. The host then ALWAYS opens one of the remaining two doors (this door is #2), and ALWAYS shows that it contains a goat and offers you the chance to change your pick to the remaining door, #3.

Should you switch? The answer is yes, you have twice the chance of getting a prize.

Why? When you make your initial pick, you divide the doors into two groups: Virgin and Chad.
The Virgin group contains your one door, so it has a 1/3 chance of being the right pick.
The Chad group contains the other 2 doors, so it has a 2/3 chance.

It makes no loving difference who opens the doors in the Chad group as long as they all get opened, and that's what happens - Monty opens 1 of the 2, you open the other, you thus get 2 shots at getting the prize instead of 1 and so you should switch.

If that doesn't convince you, instead of doing three doors do 1000:

You pick one door, odds 1:1000. Monty opens 998 of the remaining 999 and lets you choose to keep your first choice (1:1000) or open the last one (999:1000). Which one has better odds?

[1] Yes, an airplane on a treadmill can take off as long as the axles/tires can handle a ground speed of |treadmill speed| + |takeoff speed|, because airplanes don't have driven wheels and they don't have the brakes on during takeoff.
[2] A rock filling the entire universe cannot, by definition, be lifted.

Thank you for your service. I didn't want to have to do it again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

dont mind me, just dropping a deuce

ace

love it

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

The father of a very dear friend of mine was good friends with Monty Hall. At her father's funeral, Hall approached the coffin to pay his respects, and the lady's husband turned to her and whispered "Tell Monty that I want what's behind the curtain, not what's in the box"

That's my story. Good day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flint_Paper posted:

The father of a very dear friend of mine was good friends with Monty Hall. At her father's funeral, Hall approached the coffin to pay his respects, and my friend's husband turned to her and whispered "Tell Monty that I want what's behind the curtain, not what's in the box"

That's my story. Good day.

Am I confused or am I just stupid? Did I unambiguate the quote correctly?

If so I'm still missing the joke. Like I get that's The Line but :confused:

e: Did your friend's husband make a joke about not wanting her father's corpse? It still doesn't work because there's no curtain.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jul 21, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think having an actual corpse in a box was enough to make it work

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowy posted:

I think having an actual corpse in a box was enough to make it work

"Tell that other guy I don't want to gently caress your dead dad, I can't tell him myself." :newlol:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:eyepop:

There wasn’t a lot of loving on Let’s Make a Deal

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Monty Hall Problem, famously about whether it's statistically better to choose what's in the box or what's behind the curtain

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Monty Hall was a real person who hosted a game show.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Data Graham posted:

The Monty Hall Problem, famously about whether it's statistically better to choose what's in the box or gently caress a goat or something I'm honestly lost

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

Monty Hall was a real person who hosted a game show.

ZONK

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Is the goat the desired prize? I have never seen the show and am also not familiar with the value of livestock.

I'd prefer a goat over a filter coffee machine, but not a speedboat.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
A dick in a box is worth two in the goat

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

thepopmonster posted:

[1] Yes, an airplane on a treadmill can take off as long as the axles/tires can handle a ground speed of |treadmill speed| + |takeoff speed|, because airplanes don't have driven wheels and they don't have the brakes on during takeoff.

Okay, I'm going to ask a question about this that I've always wondered about. We're going to have a short, civil discussion about it, and then move on. If the discussion becomes heated or lasts for too long I swear to god I will carpet-bomb this thread with probations like it's going out of style.

Isn't the answer to this really that it doesn't matter if the airplane is on a treadmill or not, as long as the airplane can get enough speed that air passing over the wing generates lift? Because my admittedly limited understanding is that that's what makes airplanes go up. My confusion about this mental exercise was that I always imagined "plane on a treadmill" as meaning that the plane did not actually move forward; the wheels just kept spinning on the treadmill. No forward momentum = no air passing over the wings = no lift.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yes, that is the answer. A plane on a treadmill will still take off, because a treadmill will not stop a plane from moving.

The helicopter on a turntable, now there's a discussion

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CommunityEdition posted:

A dick in a box is worth two in the goat

The throat goat

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Moon Slayer posted:

Okay, I'm going to ask a question about this that I've always wondered about. We're going to have a short, civil discussion about it, and then move on. If the discussion becomes heated or lasts for too long I swear to god I will carpet-bomb this thread with probations like it's going out of style.

Isn't the answer to this really that it doesn't matter if the airplane is on a treadmill or not, as long as the airplane can get enough speed that air passing over the wing generates lift? Because my admittedly limited understanding is that that's what makes airplanes go up. My confusion about this mental exercise was that I always imagined "plane on a treadmill" as meaning that the plane did not actually move forward; the wheels just kept spinning on the treadmill. No forward momentum = no air passing over the wings = no lift.

Cool mod post in the funny picture thread posting a Google question

https://youtu.be/01Q83yxdDaI

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

The plane can only generate lift if it can reach a thrust angle coefficient of .999... (repeating infinitely). Now, assuming the treadmill is made of well-done steaks rotating around a series of dishwasher-washed cast iron pans, and the plane is full of people wiping standing up, we can determine how much to tip the pilot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol at people thinking that a plane, something that is heavier than air, would be able to fly, treadmill or not. Gee would a person 'take off' from running on treadmill? I just don't know.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Jul 21, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The plane can only generate lift if it can reach a thrust angle coefficient of .999... (repeating infinitely). Now, assuming the treadmill is made of well-done steaks rotating around a series of dishwasher-washed cast iron pans, and the plane is full of people wiping standing up, we can determine how much to tip the pilot.

what if the pilot is circumcised

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The wheels on an airplane exist to reduce friction with the ground. The wheels spin freely at whatever speed the ground under them is moving and it makes no difference to the airplane.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I agree with this with one exception.

At least until all of the orange balls inevitably ended up missing.

Randaconda posted:

this game owned

Both of these games were the fuckin poo poo, I still remember playing Hero Quest with my dad, good memories. :3:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
oop if I missed a mod post to knock it off then my bad :(

HiroProtagonist has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Jul 21, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Great, thanks, we can move on now.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Moon Slayer posted:

You need to keep in mind that an airplane is pulled along by its propellor, not its wheels - unlike a car/bicycle, with which you are more familiar.

The wheels exist solely to keep the plane off the ground and - as long as the axles are frictionless - the treadmill has no effect on the motion of the plane.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Great, thanks, we can move on now.

The only nuance in the question is whether the experiment is taking place in reality or a hypothetical problem space where you don't have to worry about things like friction or material durability, because in reality the wheels would be spinning so fast that you'd either seize the bearings or blow the tires before the plane had a chance to generate lift.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Jul 21, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moo the cow posted:

You need to keep in mind that an airplane is pulled along by its propellor, not its wheels - unlike a car/bicycle, with which you are more familiar.

The wheels exist solely to keep the plane off the ground and - as long as the axles are frictionless - the treadmill has no effect on the motion of the plane.

Even if the power were provided by the wheels, as long as they can pull it at enough speed to overcome the treadmill’s backwards pull and move it forward fast enough to get enough air over the wings, it would still take off. It would immediately crash though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Paladinus posted:

Lol at people thinking that a plane, something that is heavier than air, would be able to fly, treadmill or not. Gee would a person 'take off' from running on treadmill? I just don't know.

You Will Believe A Man Can Fly (Off a TreadMill)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The only nuance in the question is whether the experiment is taking place in reality or a hypothetical problem space where you don't have to worry about things like friction or material durability, because in reality the wheels would be spinning so fast that you'd either seize the bearings or blow the tires before the plane had a chance to generate lift.

The joke is kind of lost without the listing but I assume this was v-drums?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HiroProtagonist posted:

Both of these games were the fuckin poo poo, I still remember playing Hero Quest with my dad, good memories. :3:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
oop if I missed a mod post to knock it off then my bad :(

No, Board game posting is actualyl encouraged

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Board game posting = an okay derail.
Airplane treadmill posting = derail that is now over.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:iiam:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if a rock filled the entire universe it wouldn't be "a" rock

Doc Hawkins has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jul 21, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm proud to announce the Kickstarter for my new board game Can a Plane Take Off on a Treadmill.

Stretch goal is for the expansion, Can a Sea Plane Take Off Up River.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

is a rock filled the entire universe it wouldn't be "a" rock

what about the other universes, in the multiverse as a whole, smart guy

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

I'm proud to announce the Kickstarter for my new board game Can a Plane Take Off on a Treadmill.

Stretch goal is for the expansion, Can a Sea Plane Take Off Up River.

i'm in

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You all suck but I love you.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Slayer posted:

You all suck but I love you.

:kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

The joke is kind of lost without the listing but I assume this was v-drums?

Electronic drum kit, yeah