Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Once upon a time we didn't even have a turbo button in these games. Or animation skipping for that matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Aren’t the Haze quartz in Sky all pretty easy to setup early compared to CB / CS?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Iverron posted:

Aren’t the Haze quartz in Sky all pretty easy to setup early compared to CB / CS?

Haze doesn't even exist in CS and it's rather advanced in Crossbell.

It's a mid-game find in Sky, though even with Haze you risk accidentally colliding with monsters if you Turbo right through field maps.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I never saw haze or cloak in Zero.

Also does anyone know how many chests are in Zero? I found 237 and somehow missed that chest achievement which means I missed atleast one chest pun and that hurts.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Were you on NG+? You can't get the achievement otherwise, as the last chest on NG kindly points out.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Terper posted:

Were you on NG+? You can't get the achievement otherwise, as the last chest on NG kindly points out.

Yes, I was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played on PSP and didn't have a turbo button

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Erpy posted:

Haze doesn't even exist in CS and it's rather advanced in Crossbell.

It's a mid-game find in Sky, though even with Haze you risk accidentally colliding with monsters if you Turbo right through field maps.

There’s some other quartz that’s like a much shittier Haze right?

The mechanics all kind of blur for me as I played SC, 3rd, Zero, Ao, CS1 and CS2 in the last ~9 months, but I do recall monster avoidance being much simpler in SC / 3rd.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Iverron posted:

There’s some other quartz that’s like a much shittier Haze right?

The mechanics all kind of blur for me as I played SC, 3rd, Zero, Ao, CS1 and CS2 in the last ~9 months, but I do recall monster avoidance being much simpler in SC / 3rd.

No shittier haze, it does get bundled with other effects and cloak exists.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I've finished Chapter 4 of CS3, and I absolutely love how Sean Chiplock sells Rean's contempt of Osborne. I like Rean partly because Chiplock's done a simply stellar job of portraying him, so it's a crying shame that CS3/4 probably aren't going to get the same "more voiced lines" treatment CS1/2 got.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Hoo boy made it through the "World Tour" section of chapter 8 of SC. That was a solid 10 hours or so! It was really nice to catch up with everyone though, especially Ellie and Armand. The wedding was really nice, and a great cap-off to their story. My girlfriend's been watching along and we also both immediately noted that neither Joshua or Estelle protested or got embarrassed when the priest implied that he would be doing that again for them soon. The slow development and maturation of the characters in this game is just so good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

Hoo boy made it through the "World Tour" section of chapter 8 of SC. That was a solid 10 hours or so! It was really nice to catch up with everyone though, especially Ellie and Armand. The wedding was really nice, and a great cap-off to their story. My girlfriend's been watching along and we also both immediately noted that neither Joshua or Estelle protested or got embarrassed when the priest implied that he would be doing that again for them soon. The slow development and maturation of the characters in this game is just so good.

I hope you went back to the school

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Hwurmp posted:

I hope you went back to the school

Yes! I've had a guide open to check for missables. I've so far gotten every BP in the game.

Edit: or should I go back to the school again before heading to Grancel? :ohdear:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol nah I just meant the sidequest there

take Tita to the weapons shop in Ruan though

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Friends, I am devastated. I'm playing CS3 on Switch and having a heck of a good time with instructor headpats Rean doing his best to make the world a better place. And I'm thinking midway through chapter 1, "you know what, I think I'll replay this later on PS4 next year or so to get the platinum 'cause I got the platinums on the Vita for the past games anyway, just let me give a quick glance at the trophy list". My jaw falls, "what!? This can't be right, how can you not romance Towa?? She's even a work colleague now!"

Maybe there's a justification as the story progresses (don't spoil it for me, thanks), but right now my Rean's heart is broken and so is mine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That sounds like a mistake because there is an achievement for gaining max reputation with Towa on Steam.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Justin_Brett posted:

That sounds like a mistake because there is an achievement for gaining max reputation with Towa on Steam.

According to the trophy guide I was reading, romance options are only available for Alisa (of course, the canon option, but ugh), Emma (eh, too different a background to make things work with these two), and Laura (this I can see happening, but they have been away from each other for too long).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, those might be hidden then. I'm not at the part where you can actually pick what one you want to unlock (I assume it works like the first game).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Friends, I am devastated. I'm playing CS3 on Switch and having a heck of a good time with instructor headpats Rean doing his best to make the world a better place. And I'm thinking midway through chapter 1, "you know what, I think I'll replay this later on PS4 next year or so to get the platinum 'cause I got the platinums on the Vita for the past games anyway, just let me give a quick glance at the trophy list". My jaw falls, "what!? This can't be right, how can you not romance Towa?? She's even a work colleague now!"

Maybe there's a justification as the story progresses (don't spoil it for me, thanks), but right now my Rean's heart is broken and so is mine.

Can't do all the harem gags if you're not in a harem

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Saoshyant posted:

No spoilers but there is some good content in CS3 if you ship Rean/Towa, even if the the cowards at Falcom won’t let you make it official.

On a different note (CS3 Ch. 4 spoilers): I cannot loving believe Munk writes fanfiction about Rean. :allears: Munk shot up from “dude I had talk myself into talking to every time” to a top 5 Cold Steel NPC in a single sidequest. Also I think he just narrowly avoided a church assassin paying him a visit in the night. This owns

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Scrap Dragon posted:

No spoilers but there is some good content in CS3 if you ship Rean/Towa, even if the the cowards at Falcom won’t let you make it official.

On a different note (CS3 Ch. 4 spoilers): I cannot loving believe Munk writes fanfiction about Rean. :allears: Munk shot up from “dude I had talk myself into talking to every time” to a top 5 Cold Steel NPC in a single sidequest. Also I think he just narrowly avoided a church assassin paying him a visit in the night. This owns

Was Munk ever really that problematic? He's a weirdo, sure, but he's focused on the radio business in such a way that he didn't seem interested in being a creep about people.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

Munk is one of very few non-classmates who express concern over Rean's well-being at the end of CS2. He's always been a good boy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scrap Dragon posted:

He's been doing that from CS1 - he outright states that his Abend Time Reward Stickers mostly (I think entirely, actually) came because of submissions on what Rean's been up to, but with embellishments he added in. He means well.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Munk Fan Club?
Munk Fan Club.

Also Towa absolutely has a final bond event, but there are 3 levels of GF and Towa's in the second.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
What happens in CS4 if you’re romantic with all 3 girls in 3? Hilarious breakup scene after you get caught triple-timing?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Towa is great but I feel like such a lazy rear end when they talk about how much she can do AND keep a smile on her face.

She may be the strongest

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Preechr posted:

What happens in CS4 if you’re romantic with all 3 girls in 3? Hilarious breakup scene after you get caught triple-timing?

As far as I'm aware, there's no real continuation - maybe a few references at best. CS4 drops the "only these 3 are really available" concept, and goes back to opening the field to most of the options previously available (with one notable exception). And if you choose to focus on someone it's a clear choice that locks all the other options anyways.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CS2 and later spoiler, I guess? I just found out apparently Rean can romance Sara and now I feel weird. I don't have to do it, I know, but yikes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it stops at "we'll see in a few years" for what that's worth

Sara's big yikes don't come into play until the third game

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Everybody in this game has daddy issues except maybe the new class 7. Some just have more :stonk: daddy issues than others.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Lord Koth posted:

As far as I'm aware, there's no real continuation - maybe a few references at best. CS4 drops the "only these 3 are really available" concept, and goes back to opening the field to most of the options previously available (with one notable exception). And if you choose to focus on someone it's a clear choice that locks all the other options anyways.

Who’s the notable exception?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

it stops at "we'll see in a few years" for what that's worth

Sara's big yikes don't come into play until the third game

Oh, dear. What is it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, dear. What is it?

somewhere in the middle of CS3 she tells you she was in love with her foster dad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

somewhere in the middle of CS3 she tells you she was in love with her foster dad

...aw. :yikes:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Why does Falcom dip into that particular well so often? It's really bizarre.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Personally, that stuff is 0% creepy when its the younger party initiating, cuz I can totally relate to falling in love with someone that saved me from a living hell regardless of what their official relationship with me is. Tons of people's type is "very similar to their opposite gendered parent" anyway. Older party initiating is in reverse, 100% creepy and drop worthy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Main issue with Sara is that if you look at the timeline he ahd to have taken her in when she was literally like one. But in game its kinda presented like she was tweenish so ill just assume thats the intent

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Endorph posted:

Main issue with Sara is that if you look at the timeline he ahd to have taken her in when she was literally like one. But in game its kinda presented like she was tweenish so ill just assume thats the intent

Yeah, after the whole Elise thing, Falcom continues to deny the Westermarck effect with all their might.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's just a weird direction to take the Rean/Sara path cause it's completely unnecessary. Aside from the general "uh...what" vibe you get from Sara's backstory, I was also just kinda annoyed that they felt that Sara needed some sorta further motivator for seeing Rean that way.

Hell, tell the backstory the same but throwing in that "you remind me of him" is what makes the whole thing dang weird as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just feel like "Sara thinks Silver Foxes are hot" didn't need an explanation because silver foxes are hot.