Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

Not the first time either, really.

This is true, but that was the most PYF derail. People legitimately got grumpy that we went off list and included games that were always free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

This is true, but that was the most PYF derail. People legitimately got grumpy that we went off list and included games that were always free

They were right and you have been incessantly making GBS threads this thread since then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

They were right and you have been incessantly making GBS threads this thread since then.

I mean they weren't and the free games there were always free thread has been floundering because there isn't enough to keep it going, but also this isn't PYF Coldly Compiled Lists this is Games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shut Up used to cost up to :10bux: but is now free

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Watchdogs 2 only just appeared on my account today, so if anyone is still waiting it looks like the backlog is still in full effect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently this used to cost money? I dunno I've never heard of it but it came across my news feed and PC Gamer said it used to cost money

https://rich.itch.io/strangeadventures

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

cmon buddy it's not that complicated, it's like if there's a deals thread and someone posts AIR IS FREE WHAT A DEAL then yeah air is very good but it's probably not why people are watching a thread about deals, y'know?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

baka kaba posted:

cmon buddy it's not that complicated, it's like if there's a deals thread and someone posts AIR IS FREE WHAT A DEAL then yeah air is very good but it's probably not why people are watching a thread about deals, y'know?

Wait, since when is air free?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Strange Adventures in Infinite Space has been free for probably 15 years. Nice lil coffee break game though.

edit: And it's great to be able to play it in a resizable window. Nice.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 20, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fantasy Strike, a purposefully simple fighting game has gone F2P. Nothing I've seen about it looks very interesting but hey, there you go.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

quote:

Free-to-play, the good kind like DOTA2
:thunk:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mordja posted:

Fantasy Strike, a purposefully simple fighting game has gone F2P. Nothing I've seen about it looks very interesting but hey, there you go.

I'm not fond of fighting games but I appreciate their initiative, simple to play and also very easy on the requirements, plus now widely available to everyone.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The whole point of fantasy strike was being a super simple and easy to get into fighting game to appeal to fighting game newbies, so you could play with your friends or whatever.
The biggest problem with it imo was that you needed to get your friend to buy it too before they could play against you. It should hopefully be a lot more popular now.

Every multiplayer-only indie game should have a mode where you can play with 2 people using only one key, so you can buy it and force your friends to play with you.

edit: holy gently caress David Sirlin is a moron
the free version of the game DOESN'T ALLOW JOINING GAMES WITH YOUR FRIENDS, it only has random online matchmaking

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 21, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You say that but their shift to F2P seems to have gone full blown idiotic monetization scheme so I'm not actually sure you can play multiplayer with a friend without forking over money.

Edit: Yup. Online friend matches are locked behind the $20 "Core Pack" aka buying a copy of the game like it wasn't F2P.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 21, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The whole point of fantasy strike was being a super simple and easy to get into fighting game to appeal to fighting game newbies, so you could play with your friends or whatever.
The biggest problem with it imo was that you needed to get your friend to buy it too before they could play against you. It should hopefully be a lot more popular now.

Every multiplayer-only indie game should have a mode where you can play with 2 people using only one key, so you can buy it and force your friends to play with you.

Even Wolfenstein Youngblood got that you really should let people download a join-only client, and that game was crap. It really needs to be a more common thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

edit: holy gently caress David Sirlin is retarded

:chloe:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

edit: holy gently caress David Sirlin is retarded

we're moving away from that, don't do it again thanks

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
OK, edited out

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Rocket League is moving to EGS and going F2P in "Summer".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's not even remotely surprising given they've basically been a F2P economy in the game for ages and Psyonix got bought by Epic, awesome thing to have in the F2P bucket though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have it on PS plus so glad I won't be affected at all

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve been considering plunking down the cash for it on PC so this is great news!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

baka kaba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceNsojnMf0

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Files as it turns out

Len fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 22, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Does archive.org count?

No?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
:filez:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is it? Mecc isn't around anymore so I wasn't sure, I'll edit the post if a mod tells me it counts

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Len posted:

Is it? Mecc isn't around anymore so I wasn't sure, I'll edit the post if a mod tells me it counts

MECC was sold to a VC fund, and after that nobody knows what happened to its IPs. That does not in any way render any of their games freeware.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This very technically counts, but with the release of the newest patch in August, the free trial of Final Fantasy XIV will include the entirety of the base game and the first expansion with no time limit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

This very technically counts, but with the release of the newest patch in August, the free trial of Final Fantasy XIV will include the entirety of the base game and the first expansion with no time limit.

Is it good?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The base game content used to be a bit long in tooth, but the new patch is also coming with tweaks to it that should shorten and improve the experience, and the first expansion is real dang good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've tried to get into FF14 a couple times but just found it to be too slow. I'd just be falling asleep while playing. I bought the expansions but never ended up getting high enough level to do them. All in all I've sunk at least $200+ into that game and my highest level character was like 35-40 or something. I'd consider trying it again if you could play the base game without subscribing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

That's what I'm even talkin' about.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've tried to get into FF14 a couple times but just found it to be too slow. I'd just be falling asleep while playing. I bought the expansions but never ended up getting high enough level to do them. All in all I've sunk at least $200+ into that game and my highest level character was like 35-40 or something. I'd consider trying it again if you could play the base game without subscribing.

it is a pretty slow start, pre-50 is like a very extended tutorial with a handful of fun fights sprinkled in. a lot of old content is intended to be steamrolled through in a way that's easy but consistent enough that you figure out how your job works and how to play it better on the way to endgame.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Waffleman_ posted:

Are they going to make it just free so I can go back despite owning the game? Or is it going to keep up with the current system of if youve ever owned it get hosed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The latter, it's specifically new accounts only.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even those of us that did the previous version of their free trial?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1286073995951890432?s=20

Bandai Namco is doing a Twitch stream, link a Bamco account to your Twitch while watching to get free Naruto.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

US Only, it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i will never stop laughing that the sequel to naruto is (apparently) "boruto"