Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

~Coxy posted:

Always use AirPods under your earpro.

Trim your stupid beard or put it in a net when you're operating power tools/machinery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tea In A Shoe posted:

:aaa: That must have hurt so bad, even brazilian waxes are done with way less hairs at once. Please be careful and tie back all hairs when doing stuff with spinning tools.

The fact that there's still a ton of hair on his face suggests that the grinder cut the hair rather than pulled it out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Although not nearly as bad as the McMansions posted, for just being a generic suburban home, there is some slight window horror here on this house I walk by frequently

Those 2 top windows on the right are, for some reason, smaller than the ones below and not lined up at all, but also there's a random top window that IS like the first floor ones...and then those two random :sideways" windows with the fake square window panes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Although not nearly as bad as the McMansions posted, for just being a generic suburban home, there is some slight window horror here on this house I walk by frequently

Those 2 top windows on the right are, for some reason, smaller than the ones below and not lined up at all, but also there's a random top window that IS like the first floor ones...and then those two random :sideways" windows with the fake square window panes.

There's window stairs in there somewhere, I can feel it.

Grover was here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Warmachine posted:

There's window stairs in there somewhere, I can feel it.

Grover was here.

:aaaaa:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
One from the office I thankfully won't have to go back into till September, at the earliest (Previously I was on a sort of week on, week off swapping schedule with other IT guys)

Standard double-doors, right? Sure, let me just open the left one here and-

Oh.

Who the gently caress makes double doors like that that DON'T have the hinge on the outside?

For the record, the right door opens the same way, i.e. they both have hinges on the right as you're exiting, so the right door is sort of correct?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
That wouldn't be so bad if there was anything preventing someone from slamming into the hinge side of the left door, like a push sticker or something to indicate which side it opens from. But I'm sure they got a sweet deal on doors before they realised they can't change which way they swing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I really dislike push bars like that where you can't tell which side the door swings on, this really takes it to the next level.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

I really dislike push bars like that where you can't tell which side the door swings on, this really takes it to the next level.

it is indeed stupid, but the doors are transparent and there are handles on the other side so it's not exactly a mind-bender

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My buddy has been sending us updates to our group chat over the last 6 months of all the work he was doing to finish his basement. Today he's asking about dehumidifiers. Turns out his basement has a major humidity problem and he didn't bother sealing anything before putting up drywall, and the moisture is condensing on his air conditioning ducts and dripping onto his brand new ceiling.

Also I saw someone else post this on Facebook that they're super proud of. I hope the railing is only decorative.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

He needs to wrap the ducts in water-resistant insulation (duct wrap worked great in my cave of a basement) or install enough (in size or numbers) dehumidification to dry it out.

My issue was sweating along the first eight feet of the duct trunk run.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Decorative pressure treated lumber handrail

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
No you see it's an optical illusion

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not to mention that giant blank gable end. They should have just continued the front eave all the way to the back of the house.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FogHelmut posted:

My buddy has been sending us updates to our group chat over the last 6 months of all the work he was doing to finish his basement. Today he's asking about dehumidifiers. Turns out his basement has a major humidity problem and he didn't bother sealing anything before putting up drywall, and the moisture is condensing on his air conditioning ducts and dripping onto his brand new ceiling.

Desiccant dehumidifiers are the bomb.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I don’t know if anyone else is following this but after a period of denying any problem, China’s official position is now that Three Gorges dam has deformed only slightly and that the parts that have buckled are non-structural so really the dam is 100% safe and will absolutely not fail.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/07/three-gorges-dam-deformed-but-safe-say-operators/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well gently caress.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phanatic posted:

I don’t know if anyone else is following this but after a period of denying any problem, China’s official position is now that Three Gorges dam has deformed only slightly and that the parts that have buckled are non-structural so really the dam is 100% safe and will absolutely not fail.

What non structural parts of the dam would deform under a load? I would think that would have to be a structural part of the dam but im not a dam engineer.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phanatic posted:

https://asiatimes.com/2018/01/two-missiles-can-blow-up-chinas-three-gorges-dam-taiwan-strategist-claims/

this is the suggested related article
:staredog:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Immort4l_Legacy/status/1286177471998636032

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is this a loss edit?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Kinda reminiscent of the conspicuous ducts in the movie Brazil.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

frodnonnag posted:

Is this a loss edit?

sloppy, but

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FogHelmut posted:

Also I saw someone else post this on Facebook that they're super proud of. I hope the railing is only decorative.

I'm not a construction guy, but whats wrong with it?
Is it that there are no "strong" (lack of better term) vertical pieces to give the railing some actual support?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

wesleywillis posted:

Is it that there are no "strong" (lack of better term) vertical pieces to give the railing some actual support?

right, that handrail is extremely flimsy and will collapse with a minimal amount of side force.

some of the balusters are crooked as well

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

wesleywillis posted:

That; there's a fairly significant loading (I think 90 pounds laterally?) that those need to resist and they just can't. I guarantee they're also held in by two screws or something.

For reference, I built a set of stairs in my shop and used 2x4s to hold up the handrail spaced at 18" and even with six 3" screws on each one, the rail still isn't nearly as solid as one that is designed properly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Stealing this and gonna be using it a lot.

https://twitter.com/engineers_feed/status/1286006727801004032

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blindeye posted:

That; there's a fairly significant loading (I think 90 pounds laterally?) that those need to resist and they just can't. I guarantee they're also held in by two screws or something.

For reference, I built a set of stairs in my shop and used 2x4s to hold up the handrail spaced at 18" and even with six 3" screws on each one, the rail still isn't nearly as solid as one that is designed properly.

Do you have anything to show what designed properly looks like? I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what a properly secure railing should look like as a non-DIY non-carpentry person.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Warmachine posted:

Do you have anything to show what designed properly looks like? I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what a properly secure railing should look like as a non-DIY non-carpentry person.

There's no newel post or similar hefty board to brace the rail at the foot of the stairs, and it doesn't appear to be sufficiently attached at the house end either. The crooked balusters will fail because they are crooked and weight will be distributed unevenly instead of straight down.

The simple answer to your question is that it's designed with crucial structural elements inexplicably missing, and it's poorly done.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a friend of mine has a much worse than that, even more badly secured, as her upstairs banister

she lives alone, and more's the better

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

D-LINK posted:

There's no newel post or similar hefty board to brace the rail at the foot of the stairs, and it doesn't appear to be sufficiently attached at the house end either. The crooked balusters will fail because they are crooked and weight will be distributed unevenly instead of straight down.

The simple answer to your question is that it's designed with crucial structural elements inexplicably missing, and it's poorly done.

Looks like I was halfway there then: my first thought was that the railing needed to be anchored to the side of the house. What I was fishing for was a discussion on proper railing design because it isn't something I've ever had to interact with but seems like something I should know.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Warmachine posted:

Looks like I was halfway there then: my first thought was that the railing needed to be anchored to the side of the house. What I was fishing for was a discussion on proper railing design because it isn't something I've ever had to interact with but seems like something I should know.

Like, the person who built that railing in the picture is functionally using side-attached balusters as the structural support for the handrail. This means somewhere in the vicinity of 32 screws and/or nails are the actual support system since those balusters are attached on the outside of the steps. This is a very weak design.

Side attached balusters are decorative, and not meant to carry load, so it must be structurally supported by, say a 4x4 newel post at the foot of the stairs, as well as being physically attached at the top end. Those items are supposed to be what carries the load

D-LINK fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 24, 2020

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the electrical thread:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wait what?.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Hey man, panels are expensive.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MRC48B posted:

Hey man, panels are expensive.

So are houses.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Uh...wow. For a minute I thought the switch controlled it all, but I've talked myself out of that. I think.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Warmachine posted:

So are houses.

Houses are insured. Are panels?

Checkmate.

:smug:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Keep the "barrier" in barrier terminal block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is that supposed to be a breaker box? :stonk: