Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anime rhymes with a rhyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is it insensitive to hope their religion is wrong and randos can't actually anger the god of medicine on a whim?

Wicca was invented in the 1950s, it's less of a religion than Scientology because it's just a bunch of British people doing a colonialism on all the pagans they wiped out based on horribly inaccurate information.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Why is o with umlaut pronounced exactly like o without umlaut?

Shouldn't it be pronounced urrrr like as in hors d'ouvres.

My understanding as an American trying to learn languages with that sound (Nordics, German) is that it’s like the U-part of urrrrr but it doesn’t actually come with an R attached, but that’s the only place a sound like that appears in English.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anime rhymes with a rhyme.
A game I tested years ago had a “Scarface” difficultly mode and as we, the testers, descended into madness attempting to prove to Sony that it could be competed, began pronouncing it like it was Italian, e.g. scar-fa-che.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The ö can best be pronounced if you do this.

Seriously.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

OwlFancier posted:

Why is o with umlaut pronounced exactly like o without umlaut?

Shouldn't it be pronounced urrrr like as in hors d'ouvres.

I've been pronouncing it "horse dwarves"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gaukler posted:

My understanding as an American trying to learn languages with that sound (Nordics, German) is that it’s like the U-part of urrrrr but it doesn’t actually come with an R attached, but that’s the only place a sound like that appears in English.

Yeah I couldn't actually think of an english way to transliterate the noise hence the french.

I mean, the noise exists, it's how you express disgust as a child, but I don't know how to spell that :v:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Oe.

Seriously. On keyboards or devices without the ability for diacriticals you replace the umlaut with ‘e’ after the vowel in German.

Thus:
Ae= ä
Oe = ö
Ue = ü

This is also roughly how you can visualize how to pronounce it in English, too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Someone here posted this video about pronunciation a while ago, and it stuck with me because of the creep at 32 seconds.
https://youtu.be/HAigY_5IiIk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Oe.

Seriously. On keyboards or devices without the ability for diacriticals you replace the umlaut with ‘e’ after the vowel in German.

Thus:
Ae= ä
Oe = ö
Ue = ü

That's probably how I would do it but I can't say I would read it correctly if I didn't already know how it was supposed to sound. I think it's one of those things where it makes sense backwards but isn't super good for reading it forwards.

Like most of english, really.

Of course actual german is great because once you know the alphabet it reads entirely descriptively.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Jul 21, 2020

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Gaukler posted:

When I had to learn to pronounce some German, I was taught to make an "oo" with my lips and an "ee" with my tongue. It does actually kidn of look like

at least when you're first trying.

EDIT: On the subject of pronunciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f488uJAQgmw

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

THERE IS NO C IN GREEK JESUS CHRIST HOW DOES IT CARRY OVER TO ANYTHING?!?!?

What about the Aegean C?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

What about the Aegean C?

Wine-red.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Oe.

Thus:
Ae= ä
Oe = ö
Ue = ü

The thing is, the sounds never really occur in English. Just like the consonant at the beginning of Arabic Ali. So your stupid English brain tries to find the best approximation from the sounds it knows, until it's exposed to a sufficient amount of German it whatever. Or you just end up with an obnoxious accent I guess. Similar things happens with foreigners learning English, especially your th-sounds. Those are commonly interpreted as just t and d respectively and pronounced as such.

My second pedantic point in this derail is that writing is auxiliary to language, meaning that language works without letters*. Any spelling conventions are just more or (commonly) less clever ways of trying to describe what comes out of mouths. So the same letter can have wildly different sounds depending on the language (x is commonly ks in English, but an s-like sound in mandarin and a velar fricative (loch) in transliterated Arabic for example). The sound exists without the letter is kind of my point, and the letter is tacked on later, with essentially no influence on the sound.

*Yes, I see the irony in typing that

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Pewp. Fuk. Kawk.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Shouldn't that be wine-dark though?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's neither. Wine-dark was a mistranslation, wine-eyed is closer. It wasn't describing the color of the sea, but the motion

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RandomFerret posted:

It's neither. Wine-dark was a mistranslation, wine-eyed is closer. It wasn't describing the color of the sea, but the motion

That's stupid, wine doesn't move. Or was the ocean being poured from a bottle? heh

e:

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jul 21, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

THERE IS NO C IN GREEK JESUS CHRIST HOW DOES IT CARRY OVER TO ANYTHING?!?!?

Jehovah spelled with an I

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Lehovah?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

If you get really lucky, it's both at the same time! :v:

:(

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hardwood Floor posted:

If you get really lucky, it's both at the same time! :v:

:(

Who doesn't want the chance to bash fash rear end both in and out of the sheets?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bash fash in the street and smash rear end in the sheets

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've worked with guys like this, and it's so loving weird.

They are not good at their jobs either.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Yess, more Morrowind memes right into my veins.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i mean if you read latin you look at a pteranodon and are like "hmm, ol' Wingy No-Teeth, yep"

It's a Greek name, though. In Latin it would be something like cornudentibussine

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I made a more honest version

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Samuringa posted:

:haibrow: :hellyeah:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Samuringa posted:

Switch these around and release it into the wild for maximum fun

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

is ghost a tough game? or any good at all for that matter? i keep obsessively reading about it and watching youtube reviews but something in my brain is blocking the purchase with a big "you will not be fooled again" stance bc i hated red dead 2 and breath of the wild and every AC game i've ever tried

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Took a second but :lol:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

is ghost a tough game? or any good at all for that matter? i keep obsessively reading about it and watching youtube reviews but something in my brain is blocking the purchase with a big "you will not be fooled again" stance bc i hated red dead 2 and breath of the wild and every AC game i've ever tried

Is it difficult? Not extremely.
Is it good? Yes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you like games like Shadows of Mordor or Mad Max you'll like it. If you don't want to run around the world following foxes to shrines and composing haiku and just want to hammer out the main story mission without all the gathering nonsense you'd be better off waiting to get it cheap.

I quite like it and have played the hell out of it since my preorder activated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Sleeveless posted:

Wicca was invented in the 1950s, it's less of a religion than Scientology because it's just a bunch of British people doing a colonialism on all the pagans they wiped out based on horribly inaccurate information.

while many, many crimes can be laid at the feet of the British people the extinction of druidic and other pagan religions is not among them. blame the Romans, if you gotta blame someone.