Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are we talking about electronically controlled transmission or not having an actual shift linkage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

Will there be a "saw a plastic bag in a bush" mode for leaving cars&coffee?

This didn’t get nearly enough love.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Westy543 posted:

You can take your pick on a source, he's the first one that came up for me:
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-x-allegedly-hits-pregnant-woman-unintended-acceleration-2019-5

Basically she left her phone in the car, which kept it on, and the babby climbed into the driver's seat.

Thanks, hadn't heard of this episode before.

I haven't double checked, but I'm pretty sure no pressure on the seat means you can't shift into gear and the car stops now/won't apply torque. So I think they've fixed this unfortunate issue.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Such as? Electronic controlled automatics were taking over in the early 90s. Ford and GM were both done converting before OBD2 became standard.

I refer you to the rest of the post which seems to have dropped out of your quote.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

brand engager posted:

That's a cool sound

I finally got a chance to listen to it, and goddamn, Ford did it. They made a speederbike. Sounds right outta Return of the Jedi. :swoon:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

All EVs should be sold with straight cut gears as an option.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E: NM not worth the slapfight

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 21, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The original thing Kyoon said was the lever is not mechanically connected to anything. I don't think that's true except for the past 10-15 years or so. Ford and GM had electronically controlled transmissions but they still use a shift linkage, with a mechanically operated parking pawl, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I mean if you are trying to compare safety features and capabilities on a for-sale-in-2020 EV, don't you have to compare to cars available for sale today? The 4L60E had a manually actuated parking pawl, but that was about the last that I could find. I don't think the 6L80 does.

I certainly don't think EV's are less safe in really any inherent way, I just get kind of annoyed when people make poo poo up about ways in which they are more safe. I will admit my "did you time travel from 1980" was a bit hyperbolic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
No more auto-tragic gearbox chat please.

Edit - Comparing the driving experience to a EV is okay, if it only is about an automatic gearbox itself I'd prefer for it to go elsewhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 21, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

I appreciate this

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Godholio posted:

Such as? Electronic controlled automatics were taking over in the early 90s. Ford and GM were both done converting before OBD2 became standard.

Honda Prelude.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McPhearson posted:

Honda Prelude.

Gone by 97. M6HA was electronic. But I think we've been nudged away from this argument.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I'm way late but I almost choked on my coffee reading this.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
For my Tesla solar panel order, they are now putting in the paperwork for the county permits. I ordered 3.5 weeks ago. They project permitting takes 1-5 weeks when you initially order. We'll see if they turn it around in a week and a half.

I wonder how long it would have taken if I hadn't called with a couple questions and been told they need to send me paperwork. Then following up once a week for a couple weeks until they actually sent me the paperwork.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrLogan posted:

For my Tesla solar panel order, they are now putting in the paperwork for the county permits. I ordered 3.5 weeks ago. They project permitting takes 1-5 weeks when you initially order. We'll see if they turn it around in a week and a half.

I wonder how long it would have taken if I hadn't called with a couple questions and been told they need to send me paperwork. Then following up once a week for a couple weeks until they actually sent me the paperwork.

Can you share any details of what you're ordered? I'm considering some solar, and am trying to judge bids.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Can you share any details of what you're ordered? I'm considering some solar, and am trying to judge bids.

I got the medium system (8.16 kW) with no Powerwalls. Managed to actually get lucky on the timing and ordered when they dropped to $16k, but before they updated to $16.4k and got a $250 referral credit from MrYenko instead of the $100 credit.

I ended up getting six or seven quotes and Tesla was by far the best price per kW.

From what I can tell, they try to make up the price delta by "offering" to buy your SRECs from you by giving you a discount (I think they might call it a "rebate"). For our system, they offered $1,300 selling the SRECs. I can sell the SRECs for ~$600/year based on the research I did at an SREC brokerage. So Tesla would be ahead after two years. Selling to Tesla is the default option and I can see a lot of people not understanding how SRECs work and not opting out of selling them to Tesla for the life of the system instead of keeping the SRECs and selling thru a brokerage. The laws could also end up changing and I might not be able to sell them or something as well.

The SREC value is going to be different from place to place, I believe (or even might not be available). My research is based on Maryland.

For the powerwall, I like the concept but it was just way too much money for what it does compared to the system. I think they said it was $8k for a single powerwall, but they may have recently updated those prices as well. I'll probably add some sort of battery backup in the feature once battery prices have dropped some more.

All the customer service folks I've spoken with have been nice, but it would be better they just moved the paperwork along with me needing to call.

Worth noting that the federal tax credit for solar is ramping down and disappears after 2021 unless they change the law. That was a big motivator to get it completed this year for us.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

What's the threads opinion on the BMW i3? I've seen early model REx's popping up for relatively cheap. The battery range of ~70 miles is fine for my weekday use, the only problem is almost every weekend I do a ~100 mile each way trip out to see family and friends who live ~100 miles away from me. With coding I can use the whole 2.4 gallon tank, hold charge on the freeways, and even the base model seems to have DC fast charging which is readily available out here. Are there any gotcha's with the i3 I should be considering?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I considered it before going with my Volt. Seems like a solid car.

Some news: Hyundai 45 has two pack options for 58 and 73 kWh, going 354km/219 miles and 450km/280 miles. 10->80% in 15 minutes. WLTP ranges.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McPhearson posted:

What's the threads opinion on the BMW i3? I've seen early model REx's popping up for relatively cheap. The battery range of ~70 miles is fine for my weekday use, the only problem is almost every weekend I do a ~100 mile each way trip out to see family and friends who live ~100 miles away from me. With coding I can use the whole 2.4 gallon tank, hold charge on the freeways, and even the base model seems to have DC fast charging which is readily available out here. Are there any gotcha's with the i3 I should be considering?
DC isn't standard, at least not in the United States of Covidia model years of 2014 or whatever.
Now, with a good Level 2 you should be up to full in about 3-4 hours, but you definitely have to plan around this.

The suicide doors can get interesting if you have a small garage or are in a small parking space. I've had no luck with their voice nav stuff though the general map is decent.

Keep in mind that freeway speeds and weather will hit the range. Driving 70-75 for a length of time will drain, and even with Hold enable you're likely to start chipping away at the range after long.

Also, the REx is a stopgap for getting to the next charge. Coding it opens it up a bit more, and you won't be able to enable it until you hit 75% of your range left. The biggest thing to watch for it that it can be outpaced by your driving and it will eventually limit your top speed.

No Apple Auto/Carplay/Android Auto stuff, and it plays nicer with iPhone than with Androids.

Tires are like 250 a pop for the earlier, especially if its before the refresh that ensured the tires were all the same specs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Dont know if it's been pointed out but Big Taint has a hell of a EV project you should have a look at.....

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904277

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

McPhearson posted:

Early i3's won't have fast charge, can't remember what year they introduced it. Try to find the tech package for bigger/better center screen, the 19" wheels are generally preferred over the 20". Depending on elevation, headwind, etc the ReX can maintain 60-70mph but if you're going over the mountains or something it won't. The standard, included, 120v charger will charge it up overnight and I keep it in the frunk for trips. Most people seem to get less than 15k miles on the tires and there's only two options, all season or winter. Costco has the tires on sale a few times a year, you can usually get a set for $800-850.

Overall I've enjoyed mine, a 2014 ReX I bought in February and haven't put many miles on thanks to covid.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Apparently at the Q2 earnings call, Tesla said they have eventual plans for a compact and a "higher capacity vehicle."

Also it sounds like it's confirmed they're building a factory in Texas for the Y, cybertruck, and I think semi? A state where you can't even buy Teslas?

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 23, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Westy543 posted:

A state where you can't even buy Teslas?

I have no doubt that will be fixed soon now. A couple states with dealer racket "protection" laws have carved out exemptions that specifically exclude Tesla from being affected by them.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Does anyone use their EV as an office too? I do highway construction inspection and Covid has really pushed us to work out of our cars for doing paperwork instead of a field office. I’m having a hard time finding power consumption rates for “idling” with just the HVAC system running.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Secret Machine posted:

Does anyone use their EV as an office too? I do highway construction inspection and Covid has really pushed us to work out of our cars for doing paperwork instead of a field office. I’m having a hard time finding power consumption rates for “idling” with just the HVAC system running.

Maybe a couple of miles per hour (10ish) for a model 3 in the Colorado summer depending on how cold you like it. Can get window tints / sun blockers for more efficiency too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

stevewm posted:

I have no doubt that will be fixed soon now. A couple states with dealer racket "protection" laws have carved out exemptions that specifically exclude Tesla from being affected by them.
Tesla building in Texas and bringing jobs there will give them the political power to shutdown the old boy dealer network's resistance so I'm sure Texas will accommodate sales as soon as they can.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Secret Machine posted:

Well at least for my Gen 2 Volt... it depends on how hard the AC is running. The Volt has a variable speed compressor (as do most EVs I'd imagine), so it can speed and up slow down based on needed capacity. Going full tilt in MAX with fan speed maxed out it uses nearly 3kW according to the meter on the dash. As it approaches the temp set point the compressor and fans will slow down and the usage drops. I typically see it bounce between .5kW and 1kW at this stage. (the car rounds to the nearest 500watts and always shows a minimum of .5kW when turned on). I've left it on before for over an hour on a 85ish F day and it used just under 1kWh during that time period.

For the heater it is a different story.. That will use 7kW full tilt and the battery heater can use another 2kW on its own if its running.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Apparently at the Q2 earnings call, Tesla said they have eventual plans for a compact and a "higher capacity vehicle."

Also it sounds like it's confirmed they're building a factory in Texas for the Y, cybertruck, and I think semi? A state where you can't even buy Teslas?

My bet is long term they shut down Fremont and move all production to Texas

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Finnish Kempower have come up with a new charging solution which has a concept I've suggested on this forum and I would be able to link to it and brag if it wasn't two or three closed threads ago.

Basically, more plugs than chargers, power can be routed around. So you don't get a 50 kW car taking up a 150 kW spot. And presumably you can do stuff like massive overcapacity of plugs on a highway rest stop, so a family that takes 90 minutes to eat, play with the kids etc can just leave the car there and it will just take up a charging spot and not actual charging capacity. A nice detail is that they also allow to view the charging screen on your phone. No mention of reading car ID over CCS though.

This station is opened at Espa in Norway.

Test of it, including a more detailed look at how charger sharing works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmuIolKO0qo

Cool!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm extremely interested in a compact car. I really don't need a crossover and a sedan has piss poor cargo capacity.

My 2009 Mazda 3 hatchback has been pretty much perfect for my needs. Big enough that I can bring stuff home from the hardware store if I need, but nice and small for day to day use.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm extremely interested in a compact car. I really don't need a crossover and a sedan has piss poor cargo capacity.

My 2009 Mazda 3 hatchback has been pretty much perfect for my needs. Big enough that I can bring stuff home from the hardware store if I need, but nice and small for day to day use.

I would love a hatchback Tesla. The Model 3 trunk sucks for trying to fit any tall items in. I sold an old desk (29 inches high) on Craigslist and the person picking it up was able to fit it in their Honda Fit. The Model 3 trunk is only 18 inches high, the model Y is 27 inches high in the center. The Honda Fit has a 35 inch opening.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Veloster EV when, Hyundai?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

My bet is long term they shut down Fremont and move all production to Texas

Possible. Also possible is that they're dangling out the Texas thing to get those sweet, sweet incentives (Western NY says hey) and more importantly to get the Texas laws repealed or at least gain exemptions, with no actual intent of pouring concrete or building a single vehicle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

mysteryberto posted:

I would love a hatchback Tesla. The Model 3 trunk sucks for trying to fit any tall items in. I sold an old desk (29 inches high) on Craigslist and the person picking it up was able to fit it in their Honda Fit. The Model 3 trunk is only 18 inches high, the model Y is 27 inches high in the center. The Honda Fit has a 35 inch opening.

Oh the model 3 is by no means perfect. A hatchback style EV with good range good fast charging options like Tesla tends to offer would be wonderful.

I don't need a gigantic crossover or SUV. I live by myself and only very occasionally need to cart around bulky items. But I've used the Mazda 3 with a trail hitch and a small trailer to move myself out of an apartment twice. So it has been very sufficient for my needs. A lower floor and taller tailgate clearance would be nice. As would a shorter hood area which should be possible with an electric vehicle version.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh the model 3 is by no means perfect. A hatchback style EV with good range good fast charging options like Tesla tends to offer would be wonderful.

I don't need a gigantic crossover or SUV. I live by myself and only very occasionally need to cart around bulky items. But I've used the Mazda 3 with a trail hitch and a small trailer to move myself out of an apartment twice. So it has been very sufficient for my needs. A lower floor and taller tailgate clearance would be nice. As would a shorter hood area which should be possible with an electric vehicle version.

VW ID.3 would be perfect for you. (If you live in the US, in a few years at least). You can get a bike rack hitch but no trailer, otherwise it's Golf dimensions with more space. You get close to Model 3 range with the biggest battery, but not the Tesla charging network of course. RWD with rear drums for minimum maintenance of brakes and drive shafts, great turning circle and a short nose for urban practicality. They are struggling with the software apparently, so it probably doesn't hurt to wait out the first year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTMFamylaDQ

Speaking of charging networks, are there CCS adapters to Teslas in the US? In Europe, since the S/X can get adapters and the 3/Y comes with CCS stock, they can charge on just about any fast charger. Hell, an S/X with a CHAdeMO adapter as well can charge absolutely everywhere, including getting 16.5 kW out of the 43 kW special snowflake Type 2s built for Renault Zoes.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 23, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

Speaking of charging networks, are there CCS adapters to Teslas in the US? In Europe, since the S/X can get adapters and the 3/Y comes with CCS stock, they can charge on just about any fast charger. Hell, an S/X with a CHAdeMO adapter can charge absolutely everywhere, including getting 16.5 kW out of the 43 kW special snowflake Type 2s built for Renault Zoes.

Nope, only the $450 CHAdeMO in North America so far. It's not as big of a deal here since fast charging is pretty sparse and expensive compared to Tesla's Supercharger network. I'm sure that'll change a few years from now.

That being said, I have DC fast charged my Energica Ego several times for free in my area.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ID.3 is never coming to the US. I will toxx that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I thought they cancelled plans to release the ID.3 in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ID.3 is never coming to the US. I will toxx that.

I've always thought this was a real shame. I was seriously considering waiting for the ID3 to replace my Golf, but then they delayed the release, then they said it wouldn't come to America, and I wasn't interested in the ID4, so I got a Model 3. I am still interested in the other options they floated (van/wagon), so let's hope things go well and they eventually release them.