Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

i would like to read more about this. can you link me

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

This is an unironically true summary of all human history

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Something something the us and American Indian population

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

sincx posted:

I haven't seen any photos of children in cages in Xinjiang. Please share with the thread the basis for your claim, so we can all be better informed.

you're right this seems like a normal boarding school

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/09/15/china-xinjiang-children-separated-families

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

sincx posted:

Was Tino ever threadbanned in this thread? I don't think so.

from cspam iirc, by squizz a few months back

e: o maybe not, therese some fucker idk.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

sincx posted:

that was Pevan, not Tino.

ya thats right, bring him back. smdh forum banning is for cowards.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

ya thats right, bring him back. smdh forum banning is for cowards.

Please god no

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

sincx posted:

Don't move the goalposts. Your original assertion was: "cage full of emanciated sexually assaulted children in xinjiang"

Please point out the cage full of emanciated sexually assaulted children in the photo or the link, because I don't see any.

"you cant see the children in the barbed-wire child prison so nothings happening"

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ardennes posted:

C-spam isn't all of SA btw. You should check GBS out some time.

Ugh

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

seriously do you want me to smuggle a camera in a xinjiang boarding school to win a internet argument over "well, we cant actually see the abuse"

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Wow China is almost as bad / not as bad as the Great Satan, USA, good job everyone. Celebrations all round.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

sum posted:

I'm assuming you're posting this out of ignorance but yes that is what is happening in Xinjiang

I haven't been able find any sources for it that aren't just evidence-free accusations cycled through publications and ending at Adrian Zenz. The real stuff I can find is that the children whose parents have been taken are essentially in orphanages slash boarding schools (which is extremely hosed up, but aimed at the adults, with the kids as collateral damage), and that people in general have been pressured to put their children in schools that are heavy on teaching a mainstream Chinese culture. Kids of accused dissidents are also institutionally isolated from other kids. The word "sinification" is used, but it would mean teaching Chinese culture *to the exclusion of* Uyghur culture, for example making Chinese the primary or even the only language, and I personally can't find evidence of that kind of program. So, I guess yes, if I'm full of poo poo here, it's ignorance.

Even then, people interviewed for e.g. this piece https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/09/china-internment-camps-uighur-muslim-children/569062/ make it sound like the regular Uyghur kid isn't being isolated from their family, but instead the families are afraid that the children are bringing influences home and becoming a threat to their traditions and cultural integrity in a way. I just haven't found the evidence to seriously suggest that we're talking about cultural eliminationist policy rather than national unification policy (which is hosed up, don't get me wrong, but Italy and Sweden-tier hosed up). Maybe you can hit me with evidence that makes me regret these posts though?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Thats my point, my man.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

seriously do you want me to smuggle a camera in a xinjiang boarding school to win a internet argument over "well, we cant actually see the abuse"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBaL-5o1oc

"have you been to Xinjiang yourself? there's a Chinese saying -" is just so China, I love it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this thread is so painfully exquisitely fuckup stupid when it comes to blunt obvious han chauvinism in xinjiang and tibet, lioe unironic whataboutism and errything

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
being mad colonized and having room & board or locked up in a cage with a bunch of other folks at the epicenter of a pandemic? I think I'll choose the former lol. CHina wins again b*tch

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fuligin posted:

this thread is so painfully exquisitely fuckup stupid when it comes to blunt obvious han chauvinism in xinjiang and tibet, lioe unironic whataboutism and errything

look its only like 15 people here you just gotta embrace it, we're all friends here

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBaL-5o1oc

"have you been to Xinjiang yourself? there's a Chinese saying -" is just so China, I love it

"heres a random video, in xinjiang based on basically no evidence, of some kind of prisoner transfer. can you confirm their lush muslim hair has been shaved to resell in the global market?"

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Fuligin posted:

lo, the people of tibet cry out to be reshackled into serfdom and have their hands cut off for petty crime

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
When you think about it, what the CCP is doing is *just like* having a korean taco truck on the corner, I don't get why people complain besides anti-Han racism

https://news.sky.com/story/the-missing-uighurs-exiled-families-haunted-by-hell-of-chinese-prison-camps-12033475

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think any other thread on SA comes even close to how often they make me feel like an overconfident idiot spewing hot takes based on bad and lacking info. I just keep posting though, because it's not like the standards are high in general.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

lo, the people of tibet cry out to be reshackled into serfdom and have their hands cut off for petty crime

This argument would work way better if China wasn't totally cool with keeping the lama system around, just with party approved figures. See the panchen lama thing for examples

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

uninterrupted posted:

congrats on being duped by incredibly crude propaganda i guess?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

This argument would work way better if China wasn't totally cool with keeping the lama system around, just with party approved figures. See the panchen lama thing for examples

what percent of the tibetan population was serfs before china took control of tibet? what percentage after?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

uncop posted:

I don't think any other thread on SA comes even close to how often they make me feel like an overconfident idiot spewing hot takes based on bad and lacking info. I just keep posting though, because it's not like the standards are high in general.

Extremely :same: tbh

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

my hot take is that the CCP acts as a force to restrict Han chauvinism

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
this thread is much better than the gbs thread because its like tom & jerry at the end of the day if you think about it

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

uninterrupted posted:

what percent of the tibetan population was serfs before china took control of tibet? what percentage after?

wasnt that the result of the lama system that china tolerates to this day

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kurnugia posted:

wasnt that the result of the lama system that china tolerates to this day

Eh...they are no longer actually in charge of Tibet.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
What’s the optimal good-guy level of sinification, given that China is both doing it too hard and not doing it hard enough?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ardennes posted:

Eh...they are no longer actually in charge of Tibet.

right, but if the monasteries still remain the centres of tibetan society, with serfdom, is china obliged to abolish them or what? its just a bit bizarre when on one hand theres constant propa about china interfering with tibetan religion, but the ccp is also expected to do something about...

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
dunno why but im feeling growinly farty

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

uninterrupted posted:

thank god their enlightened neighbors sent in troops to peaceably occupy their country and save them. Oops, I mean 'sent troops to an area that was already 100% part of the country and always has been' which is why it was cool to send the troops. Totally not imperialism, because they were so unenlightened!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kurnugia posted:

right, but if the monasteries still remain the centres of tibetan society, with serfdom, is china obliged to abolish them or what? its just a bit bizarre when on one hand theres constant propa about china interfering with tibetan religion, but the ccp is also expected to do something about...

Again, most of them were closed or turned into museums....so I guess...they did interfere.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Jul 21, 2020

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah uh... you can call military occupation a lot of things i suppose

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

uninterrupted posted:

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ardennes posted:

Again, most of them were closed or turned into museums....so I guess...they did interfere.

how many was that again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kurnugia posted:

how many was that again?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tibetan_monasteries

Here is a list of monasteries, go at it.