Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think there's an important distinction between downplaying its effects and speaking realistically. Covid totally does kill people, in fact a whole hell of a lot of people, but you don't need to tell people that if they catch it they will die. It's irresponsible to speak in hyperbole like that even if it's in the interest of public safety. Fear mongering leads to panic, which is not helpful when you're trying to get people to work together to resolve a society-wide issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I think there's an important distinction between downplaying its effects and speaking realistically. Covid totally does kill people, in fact a whole hell of a lot of people, but you don't need to tell people that if they catch it they will die. It's irresponsible to speak in hyperbole like that even if it's in the interest of public safety. Fear mongering leads to panic, which is not helpful when you're trying to get people to work together to resolve a society-wide issue.

Exactly. I hope I was properly conveying that, and my apologies to SephirothIRA if that wasn’t clear- I understand that whole lashing out at something that wasn’t conveyed well on here, since I’ve done it myself on a few occasions when people touched on things that have killed friends.

And it’s not even panic that’ll kill people, it’s that reflex relaxation when it doesn’t live up to the hyperbole.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Covid totally does kill people,

Not directed at you but this is related to my pet peeve.

So much of the focus in the media is on death as the effect of covid and I think that gives people a skewed understanding of what happens when you catch it, as if the binary outcomes are either you live or you die.

Covid is a horrible disease that can make you sick as hell though even if you don't die. A lot of people get it and are absolutely miserable for a month, including constantly wondering if they are on the verge of needing to go to the hospital. It's not just people with "pre-existing conditions" either. People who are athletes in their prime have the same thought. Others get it and are miserable for several months. A lot of people haven't recovered their ability to smell or taste and others have long term coughs, fatigue, and aches.These are people of all ages. Who knows what the even longer term impacts will be.

When you read/watch the news though you'd think the only concern was whether you were likely to die if you caught it. I think this is leading younger people to worry less about it and contribute to its spread. It also emboldens deniers who try to minimize the risk by pointing to the death rate only.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Ugly is a cool human being. I'm a bit sensitive about this stuff. Sorry for the vitriol, it's better aimed at the people who actually deserve it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

7of7 posted:

So much of the focus in the media is on death as the effect of covid and I think that gives people a skewed understanding of what happens when you catch it, as if the binary outcomes are either you live or you die.

Covid is a horrible disease that can make you sick as hell though even if you don't die. A lot of people get it and are absolutely miserable for a month, including constantly wondering if they are on the verge of needing to go to the hospital. It's not just people with "pre-existing conditions" either. People who are athletes in their prime have the same thought. Others get it and are miserable for several months. A lot of people haven't recovered their ability to smell or taste and others have long term coughs, fatigue, and aches.These are people of all ages. Who knows what the even longer term impacts will be.

When you read/watch the news though you'd think the only concern was whether you were likely to die if you caught it. I think this is leading younger people to worry less about it and contribute to its spread. It also emboldens deniers who try to minimize the risk by pointing to the death rate only.

This is a lot of what I was talking about- when I had "recovered" from it and no longer had the virus there was another three weeks after where I was anemic and sleeping an extra 5-6 hours a day.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Ugly is a cool human being. I'm a bit sensitive about this stuff. Sorry for the vitriol, it's better aimed at the people who actually deserve it.

It's all good, man! I get being worked up after a loss like that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

this poo poo needs to be taken seriously but it's not a plague.

Based on the dictionary definition, I think it actually is?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Based on the dictionary definition, I think it actually is?

Guess you’re going off the “spreads rapidly and kills many people” definition, which... really depends on how you’re going off the definition of many. It’s deadly to some but when you compare it to illnesses that were around even a century ago.... not really. The R0 and mortality rates are far lower. That’s not a reason to not take every possible step to stomp it out like Smallpox, and that doesn’t mean it can’t kill you. But people who spend too much time online act like this is Black Death (the literal, non-colloquial definition of plague) with a mortality rate to match and make it harder for large groups of people to take seriously. Which, ironically, leads to more people dying when it spreads more.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
When I click on a Youtube video with dogs or cats but the person who made the video decides to caption the pet's thoughts with that stupid internet speak like "doggo" or 'pupper'. gently caress off with that, you're an adult.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Black Death (the literal, non-colloquial definition of plague)
That's the plague. The word "plague" doesn't only apply to that specific one though. It never has.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

7of7 posted:

This is a good and cool take.

Ego-bot posted:

When I click on a Youtube video with dogs or cats but the person who made the video decides to caption the pet's thoughts with that stupid internet speak like "doggo" or 'pupper'. gently caress off with that, you're an adult.

Says an adult watching dog and cat videos on YouTube.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

yeah i hate that. i dont mind the idea of subtitling a dog's thoughts but that's just not how i imagine they talk

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m at a family vacation. It’s my parents 40th year wedding anniversary and they rented a gigantic house and invited all the immediate family and their kids.

This place sleeps 28 people, and yet somehow some idiot decided “I’m going to sleep on the couch next to the kitchen” and of course my stomach is bothering me and I go to the kitchen to grab a drink and now see someone sleeping there so my options are now “make various small noises/put on light to find, wake person up and have them bitch about being woken up during the night” or just go back to my room to avoid the person.

Don’t sleep in communal spaces if you don’t have to. I get that there’s times that call for it but this isn’t one of them. I’m pretty sure I know who it is and I’m not shocked he’s acting like a moron this early into the trip.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That's the plague. The word "plague" doesn't only apply to that specific one though. It never has.

Until it starts raining frogs, the use of plague is hyperbolic

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Black Stones posted:

“make various small noises/put on light to find, wake person up and have them bitch about being woken up during the night”

Easy choice for me, I love giving people grief about their stupid decisions

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My littlest cousin adores me and any time I visit family they tell him he can sleep in my room. I dunno why he likes this so much, I guess it feels like a cool sleepover and I stay up late and don't make him go to bed?

I love him but I don't like sleeping with a first grader mang. But they always tell him this, and I don't wanna be a dick and go back on it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That's extremely weird, why does your family do that without consulting you first

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

singapore style fines/jail time for coarse and rude behavior is good. people who littler should be caned on the spot

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i kind of think littering is an expression of incorrigible evil

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is it actually necessary to run THE WORLD'S LOUDEST LAWN MOWER right outside my window AT SEVEN IN THE loving MORNING

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

docbeard posted:

Is it actually necessary to run THE WORLD'S LOUDEST LAWN MOWER right outside my window AT SEVEN IN THE loving MORNING

I hate people who start that poo poo at the soonest time they’re legally allowed to. I worked nights for a chunk of last summer and my neighbor would always start chainsawing or weedwhacking as soon as I fell asleep.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I hate people who start that poo poo at the soonest time they’re legally allowed to. I worked nights for a chunk of last summer and my neighbor would always start chainsawing or weedwhacking as soon as I fell asleep.

Boomers are up at 4 am, so be glad they're forced to watch Fox News for that extra 3 hours.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

People who eat or drink incredibly loudly. My sister's boyfriend is the loudest drinker of tea I've ever encountered.

Whoooooooooooshk *gulp*
Whooooooooooooooshk *gulp*

If it's too loving warm for you just wait a bit instead of trying to aerosolize it.
He also drinks pretty often, so it's just like a couple seconds between each whooooooooshk, until he's done drinking for the while.
It's insanely loving annoying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

It's 9:52 here but I did just get up and happily, literally this is happening. Like, two blocks over even. Why can I hear you why do you have a lawnFUCK

I've said basically this before but my pet peeve is goddam lawns. It's a pretentious aristocratic affectation that should go away. Put literally anything else there besides manicured grass.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Jul 21, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rock gardens with hostas, hens and chicks, and sedum has been my choice.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SubNat posted:

People who eat or drink incredibly loudly. My sister's boyfriend is the loudest drinker of tea I've ever encountered.

Whoooooooooooshk *gulp*
Whooooooooooooooshk *gulp*

If it's too loving warm for you just wait a bit instead of trying to aerosolize it.
He also drinks pretty often, so it's just like a couple seconds between each whooooooooshk, until he's done drinking for the while.
It's insanely loving annoying.

One of my closest friends does this. When he drinks it's the loudest loving gulping noise. It's loving disgusting. I completely cant handle it, when I'm playing PS4 with him I have to take my headphones out whenever he has a drink.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when an article about dogs uses "fido" as a synonym for dogs in general. first of all i hate forced synonym substitution, secondly nobodys actually called their dog "fido" since 1931 so it sounds corny and archaic

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate it when a kid is referred to as "Little Jimmy"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Or when a baby is referred to as "baby" with no articles. This is for baby. Don't wake baby. Never refer to baby by baby's actual name

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I knew a kid who up to age three insisted his name was "Little Baby" because he was the youngest of five and that's what his older siblings called him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Adorable

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Nostradingus posted:

Or when a baby is referred to as "baby" with no articles. This is for baby. Don't wake baby. Never refer to baby by baby's actual name

Or when a product is referred to as just "product". This exclusively happens to hair care products, and even if it's a thing that's universally loved people will jerk themselves raw over calling it "product" and send death threats to people that use the real name. I love using product!! MAKE SURE YOU RINSE OUT PRODUCT!!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm completely in favour of going back to the tradition of not naming kids until they're like 4 or 5. All babies are equally boring and gross.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Biblically speaking you're not even a human being until you can grow a full beard and/or disembowel a Babylonian.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

To earn a name, you must take another's by force.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Baby will never forget their first time experiencing the Quickening

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Brawnfire posted:

To earn a name beard, you must take another's by force.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When you think someone's laughing along with/adding to your joke and you start to jovially include them as a comrade only to realize they're mocking you

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Roblo posted:

One of my closest friends does this. When he drinks it's the loudest loving gulping noise. It's loving disgusting. I completely cant handle it, when I'm playing PS4 with him I have to take my headphones out whenever he has a drink.

I needed to sit on my mouth so bad during lockdown and sharing an officespace with my GF. I've been together with her for 5 years now and it didn't bother me until I had her drinking water like this all day right next to me.
I was white knuckling my mouse so hard with every gulp.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Those sport cap water bottles should be a war crime. So many people slurping and suckling on them like idiotic baby calves. While grabbing the bottle a little to hard so it makes that loving crinkley noise.

Gitmo forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

Those sport cap water bottles should be a war crime. So many people slurping and suckling on them like idiotic baby calves. While grabbing the bottle a little to hard so it makes that loving crinkley noise.

Gitmo forever.

loving christ I remember how annoying that was back in the Uni auditoriums.
*crushsuuuuuck* *smack/release* *KRONKLE*
As they'd suck and squeeze the bottle, then release when they're done with a pop/smack and then the bottle loudly bouncing back to shape.

As a side peeve:
loving christ I hate those loving e-scooter rentals so much. Companies should be forbidden from rolling out their services in a city unless:
A: they have a way to punish the people just leaving them all over the place. Fines and phone-number based lockouts, etc. Deposits required for use, etc.
(Parking the device outside of a pre-approved parking area, for example, should cost significantly more.)
B: punish/fine/limit people slaloming through crowds at high speeds. Anything over walking speed should be locked unless it's going more or less straight ahead. If they're slaloming on a sidewalk they're loving weaving through a crowd.

On a shortish walk to pick up some things I was buzzed by loving 4 different scooters whirring past me from behind.
They take all the annoyances of bad cyclists on the sidewalk and turn it up to 10, then multiply it by dozens of times, since they're super common in the city core.

I noticed that the city had reserved a large open, 1.5x8 meter area by one of the parks for scooter parking, with the area spray painted up with parking lines and everything. There was not a single loving scooter parked there, they were all haphazardly stacked around the subway entrance nearby.
If these are problems that are too hard for the lovely VC 'please either let us get a monopoly, or let us get bought up by a competitor pweaaseee' companies, then they don't deserve the permission to operate in cities.

We're already at a point where 1/4 people want them banned, and 1/2 want them to be locked and banned at night. It's really not going to take long for these lovely companies to burn out their goodwill.