Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

bicievino posted:

goddamn 31x31.
I was feeling pleased with my 12x12. I think I'd need a helicopter to get 31x31.
Iowa gravel seems to be uniquely suited for the game. That combined with a little bit of callousness towards property rights and I have yet to find a square was really and truly "impossible". Just the occasional square here or there that might not technically have a road on it. And since I'm not doing much in the way of group rides that means I have all the time in the world to solo ride the nonsense routes I've created to pump up my numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pesky bodies of water

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I feel ya

Not a lot of gravel near me either

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Most of that water has land in the same square, though!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Pretty sure I don't have any water squares until the Mississippi and that's about 80 miles away.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Crumps Brother posted:

Pretty sure I don't have any water squares until the Mississippi and that's about 80 miles away.

:eyepop:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How often do you guys clean your chains riding through all the dust and dirt?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
With wax, 200-300ish miles if it’s just dust

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah whatever my chain was lubed with from the factory, it's sounding pretty crunchy after only 12 miles. I'm going to degrease it and use a wax based lube.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Where do you check what squares you've hit?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

iospace posted:

Where do you check what squares you've hit?
That's part of VeloViewer. It costs about $15/year to see all the data.

FogHelmut posted:

How often do you guys clean your chains riding through all the dust and dirt?
I'll relube with RnR every two or three rides. I'll actually clean and relube every couple of weeks. If you're gonna go the wax route that'll certainly keep things cleaner than the factory lube.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
More of the same

This road goes up the side of Lolo peak a ways. A few years ago there was a big fire up there and some of this was burned. There's a good trail on the other side that I haven't ridden in awhile. It was closed for like two years after the fire, rebuilt, I rode it like the next week and it was amazing, and I haven't been back yet. It's on my list of rides to do during the move mt challenge thing though.

A few years ago the guy who owned some of the land at the bottom and in the valley decided it was going to be made into a ski resort and that would totally be fine because the forest service identified it as a possible ski area like 80 years ago. But uh, the top and a good part of the mountain is now congressionally designated Wilderness so that was never actually going to happen and the guy went bankrupt from trying to develop a base area and cutting in runs before the FS was like "uh, WTF are you doing dude? stop."

https://www.hcn.org/issues/44.5/scars-of-an-unfinished-ski-area

Anyway the road was nice. It keeps going but that wasn't my goal for the day and I headed back down after getting about 2k feet of vert

The reason I went down here was to ride up to an overlook a little farther south. There's 50mi of path from Missoula south along hwy 93, but i like to get off it for a bit and take this section of old 93 into florence. Then a few miles on path to bass creek, which has a free trails and a long dirt road climb to here

Something like 7mi, 2700ft, plus a little paved climb to get to the base of the mountains. The Wilderness boundary cuts off the upper portions of this range to bikes but there's a lot of hiking trails back there, as well as the macgruder corridor into idaho a bit farther south, which i want to ride sometime.

What's that poo poo going on out there?

Some people had camp setup, at the public overlook picnic area which I'm not sure is even ok, and then had setup a slackline all the way across this canyon. Seemed questionable but whatever time to head back down.

There's a little loop of trail down at the bottom so I rode some of that

Then was faced with the decision to head straight back the way I came, mostly on paved path, or go a little farther south to a town, and then over to the other side of the valley to some nice back roads. Also I was hungry and thought I'd get a chicken strip or candy bar or something at a gas station. So far I had not needed to go into any stores because there's a water fountain at the campground at the base of this valley. I kept going, but the little grocery store/deli was closed but then I noticed a food truck across the street. I didn't need a full on cheeseburger at this point so I got some fries and a coke and he put some brisket on there for me

Then took a nice mix of dirt and pavement back around to the path

Should have brought lights. Didn't expect to be out there that long and had to pedal a little harder than I wanted on the way back. Thankfully the last bit was on a pretty well lit street and then path.

Another solid day but I'm like 200mi and 20k feet behind in our move mt distance and climbing challenges.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3778185706

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 21, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I hate following your amazing posts. I'm too tired to put that kind of effort into exposition.

Rode some nice gravel for my birthday on our tandem. 80 miles, about 6 hours of moving time. Way too hot, but quite a hoot nevertheless.

Only had to get off twice - one for a section of over 20% trail that was just too steep and loose for our 1:1 gearing, and then again for a trail washout.
Oh, and for the two flats, and many picture stops.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Washed my bike the other day and then woke up to the ground wet this morning from foggy drizzle which was great for the grabble but not so for the clean bike

Drive train sounded terrible so I had to rinse the whole thing all over again

and saw this guy on a grabble ride a couple of weeks ago

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bicievino posted:

I hate following your amazing posts. I'm too tired to put that kind of effort into exposition.

Rode some nice gravel for my birthday on our tandem. 80 miles, about 6 hours of moving time. Way too hot, but quite a hoot nevertheless.

Only had to get off twice - one for a section of over 20% trail that was just too steep and loose for our 1:1 gearing, and then again for a trail washout.
Oh, and for the two flats, and many picture stops.

ok i see the tokul tunnel there, wheres the rest of the ride going to/from?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

ok i see the tokul tunnel there, wheres the rest of the ride going to/from?

Started at Tokul Tunnel. Went up through Campbell's forest to Sultan, then back through Marckworth Forest to Carnation, then just took the trail.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Y'all doing good work. The spirit is good.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I rode the best type of grabble this weekend.

The spirit was very strong.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bicievino posted:

Started at Tokul Tunnel. Went up through Campbell's forest to Sultan, then back through Marckworth Forest to Carnation, then just took the trail.

:captainpop:

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you
Hey Gravel Thread. 2020 was supposed to be the year I got back into bike racing, I managed to get a spot for SBT GVL and then the ‘Rona hit...At least they gave me a refund but it’s not like I have given lifetime sports hundreds or thousands of dollars over the years.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I just found this thread and I like it. Please enjoy photos I've smeared all over random parts of the forum

G is for ridinG on gravel

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I gravel'd up a mountain today (it's a small mountain, this is a normal thing. Also, not quite to the top of the mountain)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I went back to Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park. I went here two weeks ago and had to quit before reaching my goal of The Top of the World due to heat and not having rode a bike for 5 years. This time, I had to park 1.5 miles from the park entrance because of the crowds. I made it to the top and completed my goal. The added distance was on tarmac, so it was not a big deal.

Some notes:
- I saw a roadrunner.
- Hikers walk 6 wide across the trail and give no fucks about your momentum through deep sand.
- I had to get off and push twice. These trails are sandy, and a couple of the climbs are so steep that I couldn't grip. My rear tire would just spin and I would go nowhere. I think with different gearing I could put down less torque, or with different tires I could get more grip. I'm running Tiagra FC-4700, 50x34T and CS-HG500, 11-34T on Schwalbe G-One Allround at just over 40 psi.
- I couldn't see the ocean, it was too hazy.
- Don't take Car Wreck Trail down. It looked okay from photos online, but its super technical and narrow with big drops and not for gravel bikes. Its for hikers and maybe some cool mountain bike guy.
- I climbed back up Car Wreck Trail and went down Mathis Canyon trail. I decided to shred and then things got pretty gnarly. I got some air a couple of times intentionally, and then unintentionally. And then I picked up a lot of speed and was riding my brakes at the limit and couldn't slow down. I did not wipe out though.

Was close to just dropping down into Laguna Canyon and getting some beer.

Next time I'm going to check out Blackstar Canyon at the advice of my neighbor.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Hell yes. The Spirit lives in you. :ghost:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I cut through another cornfield today when I found yet another nonexistent road. A short time after that I realized that it's detasseling season and maybe cutting through that field was closer to stupid than it was bold. So I got lucky to not get an involuntary haircut or crop dusted. Then I got even luckier cuz the only gravel dog I met on today's ride was dope as hell. We cruised together for a few miles before parting ways. Pretty sure we're buddies now.

In other news, I got to watch county workers striped over some roadkill rather than move it out of the way. I guess that must fall under "not my loving job." So yeah, this next pic is a close up of painted roadkill. You've been warned.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

This looks awesome.

How do you avoid getting killed by high schoolers in hopped up F150s going 80mph on gravel? That would be my obstacle.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

2 spokes broken on my grabbler and it's a 2 week wait until the shop has a slot available :negative:

Time to get a truing stand?????

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 28, 2020

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Fart Car '97 posted:

2 spokes broken on my grabbler and it's a 2 week wait until the shop has a slot available :negative:

Time to get a truing stand?????

Sounds like a good reason to get new tools and learn another bike fix.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

ThePopeOfFun posted:

This looks awesome.

How do you avoid getting killed by high schoolers in hopped up F150s going 80mph on gravel? That would be my obstacle.
Cars are rare enough on these roads let alone some kids that have no business being out here in the middle of the day anyways. I'd probably sing a different song if I was riding after sunset. To that end, I only ride on the left side when I've got a clear view of the road in front of me so there's never a surprise there. And for the rear I always have my varia running which I absolutely love and would recommend to anyone. Sure, I still have functional ears, but the varia can see farther back than my ears can hear.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rode gravel today.

Was good.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Crumps Brother posted:

Cars are rare enough on these roads let alone some kids that have no business being out here in the middle of the day anyways. I'd probably sing a different song if I was riding after sunset. To that end, I only ride on the left side when I've got a clear view of the road in front of me so there's never a surprise there. And for the rear I always have my varia running which I absolutely love and would recommend to anyone. Sure, I still have functional ears, but the varia can see farther back than my ears can hear.

Can the Varia alert me to approaching mountain lions?

Anyone carry protection from predatory animals? There have been more than a few attacks around here over the years. Still safer than going up against cars though I think.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone carry protection from predatory animals? There have been more than a few attacks around here over the years. Still safer than going up against cars though I think.

I carry bear spray when going into the forest.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

FogHelmut posted:

I don’t think there is any reason to consider bear or mountain lion protection while riding if you aren’t in Grizzly country (greater Yellowstone and Glacier areas). Speed is your friend, the added size of your bike is your friend and if a mountain lion jumps on you there isn’t going to be enough notice to do anything. Black bears are mostly big raccoons.

If I am in Grizzly country way off road a Glock 20 with hardcast bullets in a gunfightersinc Kenai Holster and Bear Spray are my suggestions for old humpty.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you see a mountain lion something is very wrong. At best your warning might be getting knocked off the bike before it sinks those big ol fangs into your neck. Thankfully this is extraordinarily rare.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hi friends. I consider every bike with wide tires and drop bars to be a gravel bike. I also consider all other bikes that spend any time on gravel to be honorary gravel bikes. Here are some pictures of gravel bikes:
This one belongs to a goon friend who I am bad about keeping in touch with:

This bike that happens to be ON gravel belongs to my sweetheart:

This is what happens when I decide to build up a bike around a set of 1x11 road gravel shifters :

And finally this is my do everything bike that I am in love with:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 28, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If you see a mountain lion something is very wrong. At best your warning might be getting knocked off the bike before it sinks those big ol fangs into your neck. Thankfully this is extraordinarily rare.

Sure but they asked about what they could carry as protection, not about how common or uncommon or hosed up the potential situation is. I'm sure everyone is very aware of how likely they are to actually get attacked.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I don’t think there is any reason to consider bear or mountain lion protection while riding if you aren’t in Grizzly country (greater Yellowstone and Glacier areas). Speed is your friend, the added size of your bike is your friend and if a mountain lion jumps on you there isn’t going to be enough notice to do anything. Black bears are mostly big raccoons.

If I am in Grizzly country way off road a Glock 20 with hardcast bullets in a gunfightersinc Kenai Holster and Bear Spray are my suggestions for old humpty.

I mean, in recent memory there have been cases of: a) a cougar killing a cyclist in the forest I ride in and b) a prepared person fighting off a cougar.
I take those anecdotes to mean: there is some (albeit small) risk, and it's worth being prepared. Am I missing something?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

FogHelmut posted:

It thinks other cyclists behind me are cars. It'd probably give you a solid one second heads up before you got mauled.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

just to try to head things off, this is the spirit of gravel thread not the gun chat thread. please keep it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just absolute lol @ using a glock 20 on a bear.