Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Largepotato posted:

How many real life players are still on their original team?

I see Ball, Morant & Jackson jr are still on theirs. Have any of them left and come back?

I can check this real quick.

Trae Young is still on the Hawks. Doncic, clearly. (and Porzingis if you meant "originally from when the game started") Pascal Siakam is still with the Raptors. Giannis, of course. Joel Embiid is still with the 76ers, he's just old and sucks now. Tobias Harris is still with the 76ers. Terry Rozier III wasn't originally on the Hornets in that he was drafted by the Celtics, but he started the game on the Hornets, left for a long rear end time, and is back on the Hornets. Alonzo Trier went on a rather lengthy journeyman excursion and is back on the Knicks. Mo Bamba did the same thing, but with the Magic. Devin Booker has never left the Suns. C.J. McCollum never left the Trail Blazers. Klay Thompson never left the Warriors.

So, depending on how you meant your question, either 13 or 10. (Or 11, because there's another player in Spencer Dinwiddie who has moved back to the team that drafted him, Detroit, but he wasn't there at the start of the thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

Nothing pretentious about it.

I meant to say "presumptuous", but regardless I am glad that I did not offend. Also, I had completely forgotten that the thread voted to not override stupid rules changes.

Another question, because this works in Football Manager and other games of that ilk... can you change teams mid-timeline? It's probably fair to call the Honu a dynasty at this point, and I wondered if it would be a fun challenge and uphill battle to take over another expansion team and start over with the team building without starting a new alternate reality.

kirsus posted:

I just don't understand why they'd make it so it deletes the teams that are voted down. The player clearly wants those teams in if the league expands so there doesn't seem any reason to not keep them there aside from incompetence or hatred towards your player base.

I agree. Also, the overall talent level of the league is so high now that they could probably add 4 teams without causing issues. This LP has made me realise that overall rating is, well, overrated, but that notwithstanding the overall quality of players in the league is much higher than the default present-day rosters that ship with the game.

beejay posted:

I was looking forward to a potential Finals matchup against the Knicks, but this was awesome.

I must confess that I am a bit sad that that did not happen, moreso even than not getting another matchup with the Mavericks, but I look greatly forward to the Knicks falling apart. They didn't "cheat" or anything, but it still feels to me like a wonderful story of hubris that is compounded by having such a poor playoff showing. They are going to be greatly diminished this coming season, and then in the season after the wheels are really going to fall off. I was not a fan of the salary cap being removed in the first place; as I said, I am a big believe in as much parity as possible and the only real key to Golden State and New York's success during the capless period was "we are in by far the biggest markets in the league and we can outspend everyone - gently caress you"

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 21, 2020

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Haha the Knicks

Also ABG, imo

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

JustJeff88 posted:

Another question, because this works in Football Manager and other games of that ilk... can you change teams mid-timeline? It's probably fair to call the Honu a dynasty at this point, and I wondered if it would be a fun challenge and uphill battle to take over another expansion team and start over with the team building without starting a new alternate reality.

You can. It's how vsm does some of the little adjustments, like sacking a certain coach.

You can even fully automate your own team so the league is cpu only.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Even when the Knicks are cheating the cap we still can't win poo poo. :(

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Largepotato posted:

You can. It's how vsm does some of the little adjustments, like sacking a certain coach.

You can even fully automate your own team so the league is cpu only.

If I don't completely burn out from this game, I do have another... idea for afterward that would involve controlling zero teams. That's months or potentially years off, though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Since it was mentioned in the update, I found the salary cap shenanigans extremely amusing, and that would have been lost if Mad wasn't rolling with the punches.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AAG

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have simulated to the start of the next season. I know I normally handle free agency by vote, but I pigeon-holed myself pretty badly. I believe we are fine for this coming season, though.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
NBA scrimmages are currently going on and Bol Bol just got his first start. So far in ~7 minutes of play he has 5pts, 2 rebounds, and 3 blocks. So excited to see and hear NBA basketball again, fingers crossed it all works out!

EDIT: Final stats for Bol - 16pts, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks

Guper fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 22, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guper posted:

NBA scrimmages are currently going on and Bol Bol just got his first start. So far in ~7 minutes of play he has 5pts, 2 rebounds, and 3 blocks. So excited to see and hear NBA basketball again, fingers crossed it all works out!

Are they doing empty arenas? I can't remember which sport(s) are doing that, but I've heard it mentioned.

To be honest, I would love to be the only fan in an otherwise empty arena. I stopped going to live sporting events because the crowds, noise and ridiculous prices annoy me.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Are they doing empty arenas? I can't remember which sport(s) are doing that, but I've heard it mentioned.

To be honest, I would love to be the only fan in an otherwise empty arena. I stopped going to live sporting events because the crowds, noise and ridiculous prices annoy me.
Yes. The NBA is doing a bubble in an isolated area of Disney World. Basically the only people allowed in are ~30 people per team (players, coaches, a few scouts, etc), referees, and a small handful of media members/TV production crews/etc. All of whom were forced to quarantine for a while upon arrival, then stay only at specific hotels reserved exclusively for the NBA, only interacting with each other, not allowed to leave, getting tested daily for Covid, and so forth. Oh, and only 22 of the 30 NBA teams are playing - basically they'd played around 60-ish games when the season was halted back in March, so any teams which were completely out of the playoff race teams were left out of the bubble and at home.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

Yeah, it's empty arenas, aside from team staff. They do seem to be pumping in the normal arena and music and such - I would pay money to get a stream that would let me hear what the players are saying, but alas.

For those unfamiliar, the NBA has tried to make an isolated "bubble" in Disney World where everyone is quarantined when they get in, tested daily, and basically can't leave the bubble. There are some potential issues (namely, Florida, and also that service staff is not in the bubble) but we will see how it works out. So far haven't had any cases in the ~1 week that all teams have been there, but it's obviously real early.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Yes. The NBA is doing a bubble in an isolated area of Disney World. Basically the only people allowed in are ~30 people per team (players, coaches, a few scouts, etc), referees, and a small handful of media members/TV production crews/etc. All of whom were forced to quarantine for a while upon arrival, then stay only at specific hotels reserved exclusively for the NBA, only interacting with each other, not allowed to leave, getting tested daily for Covid, and so forth. Oh, and only 22 of the 30 NBA teams are playing - basically they'd played around 60-ish games when the season was halted back in March, so any teams which were completely out of the playoff race teams were left out of the bubble and at home.

I would have just called the season and maybe given the Bucks a special sticker for having the best record (and player, which helps) in the league, but if they insist on carrying on I suppose that this is the best way to do it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I would have just called the season and maybe given the Bucks a special sticker for having the best record (and player, which helps) in the league, but if they insist on carrying on I suppose that this is the best way to do it.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of analysis from outside health experts and the widespread consensus is "it might not end up working out, but the way they're doing the bubble is pretty much the best method available".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of analysis from outside health experts and the widespread consensus is "it might not end up working out, but the way they're doing the bubble is pretty much the best method available".

Given that strikes-shortened seasons with playoffs are not uncommon, did they say why they didn't just call the season and do the normal 16-team playoff format? That seems the most natural

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Given that strikes-shortened seasons with playoffs are not uncommon, did they say why they didn't just call the season and do the normal 16-team playoff format? That seems the most natural

more games played = more money made

Bol Bol looked good IRL, and it was weirdly uncomfortable to view him as a rookie instead of a multi-time NBA champion.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

They needed everyone on board, and there were a few teams that had a weaker schedule that were on the cusp of the playoffs that felt they probably would have made the playoffs if things had played out.

oldskool posted:

Bol Bol looked good IRL, and it was weirdly uncomfortable to view him as a rookie instead of a multi-time NBA champion.

Imagine the feeling you'll get when he retires in the thread, now.

~~~~
CHAPTER 16, 2030-2031, Part 1, Offseason

Per the thread's vote, I go ahead and power through the league expansion anyhow. Many teams are upset, but progress must continue. Once again, re-alignment loses its mind and wants to put Miami in the Western Conference for some unknown reason. I undo a few other stupid moves, and wind up with this:

(The SAS thread on the NBA points out that Minneapolis is farther away from its division mates than Memphis or New Orleans are, and I now regret moving Memphis, way back when, but I feel like maybe I shouldn't undo something and pull what's been a powerhouse Eastern Conference Team for 10 years to another conference, so I guess the Timberwolves suffer a bit longer.)

So, we're suddenly on the opposite end of an expansion draft: We have to protect 8 players, and anyone we don't protect, we risk losing to one of the two expansion teams. Each team can only draft one player from each team--so I'm only in danger of losing two players if I leave them unprotected. Luckily for me, several players I wanted to protect are free agents, and this makes everything much simpler.

If I had Francis and Greene in the mix of guys to protect, (or hell, maybe even Delon Wright), this would have been a tougher decision. Kelley does get drafted to the Sonics.

The Jazz, meanwhile, leave their best remaining player unprotected.

Meanwhile, Indiana doesn't protect their former #2 overall pick, settling on Torres instead of Geiger (who has more potential, but is admittedly five years older than Torres)

Here's a fun one: During the expansion draft, while teams would protect Euro-stash players they still had stashed, no team protected a euro-stash player who was coming over during this offseason. As a result, each of the two expansion teams winds up with a former draft-and-stash as their best player, with a 2 year + 2 year team option deal.

Montreal decides to build their team around Rich Hurley, a tough rebounding machine out of Australia, weirdly passing on the best player made available:

Frederic Silverstre, a rookie French point guard who might even be/become better than Jacque Cisse. I cannot believe Montreal passed on a french speaking 87 Overall. Was age the primary motivation, here?

Both teams passed on Mitch Bradley! But Seattle picked up Geiger. I really think Indiana gave up on that kid too soon.

Expanding, of course, means that both of our draft picks are later than what I quoted earlier in the thread. The draft lottery starts, and it's guaranteed that Montreal and Seattle will have picks immediately outside the top 4, but who will win the top 4 picks?

OK, I have a confession: I actually watch the NBA Draft Lottery, when I get the chance. It's mind-numbingly boring, and just like, an hour of little factoids about teams followed by a way-too-serious 10 minutes of opening envelopes and reading off results in the order everyone suspects, more or less, along with more random factoids. I'm picturing a moment like this occurring in a real draft lottery, and it'd be a big deal. You'd see whoever Atlanta sent as a representative, who thought they were picking seventh or better go bone white. It'd be great.

The Hornets acquire way too many picks in trades, and subsequently don't do well because they're always nurturing new talent instead of developing it further, and then let all the previous generation of kids go somewhere else. When this thread started, they had picked in the lottery 22 times. That's 18 lottery picks in 11 seasons.

The Spurs teach a hard lesson to Golden State, who continue to struggle: Protect. Your. Picks.

The Jazz go into the 2030 NBA Draft with a bonkers 3 picks in a row. They could select over half a new starting lineup, technically.

Well, actually, both those things aren't really that important. This is, I feel, the weakest draft class I have ever seen in this thread. Almost no one with an A potential, let alone an A+. I want to say the top OVR was 76? Quite a few guys at around that level of talent, but then a staggering drop off to the second round, and a bunch of sub 70s selected. Whooof. (I should really pay attention to what draft class the generated all-stars come from, to maybe get a better idea of what were "good" classes. Could be a fun bonus post.)

This is the god himself, the sole guy taken in this draft that, in the post-draft screen, is shown to have all-star potential. His ceiling is listed as "Andre Iguodala"

Montreal pulls a move to get a player they clearly wanted during the expansion draft, but that was left protected. In exchange, the Hornets move up 2 spots.

Everyone in this draft is bad, but I gotta assume this guy actually becomes great--he's a Vancouver pick out of Greece, and, while the game absolutely does not simulate this and it is crazy to believe, I fully believe the Ravens have a guy who solely scouts Greece. This happens way too often, and they are always good.

Unbelievably, the Celtics trade two starters for part of this mess, but don't be fooled: This is a move for Salary space, and it will pay off big-time for Boston.

That goes double for the Clippers, who actually give up their best player and a serviceable shooting guard for merely the 18th pick. People want to take a shot at the free agency class.

Per instructions, I was told to select a guard with my first round pick. I went for a point instead of a shooting guard, because we're thinner at that position and Filimon is in decline.

I find Alain Sonnet, a draft-and-stash guy, and the third string point guard on the French National team (the game doesn't model this), already intimately familiar with playing behind Jacque Cisse. When I selected him, my scouts proclaimed he had all-star levels of talent, literally the only guy other than Lewis Wells they made that claim for. (He was compared to Terrell Brandon. After the draft, they downgraded their opinion to still being Terrell Brandon, but one of the seasons where he wasn't an all-star. Great. Still, I think having this guy fall to us was a seriously lucky break. We'll have to wait a year for him.)

I wasn't going to get a good player with my second round pick no matter what, but the thread wanted me to try to find a wing, but maybe also a guy with a great name. Who the hell drafts a player based solely on name? I want to call you all something.... I dunno. Oafish Yokels? Something uncultured, clumsy and backwater. I'll think of something.

CLOD HICKS. Yes, that's exactly what I want to call everyone.

Every player gets a little analysis blurb said about them. I get this pleasant surprise:

My scouts said Claude was the 108th best player overall, and figured about 40 players were better, so I'm glad Rob disagrees. (Rob is wrong. Also, check out the game loving up the number of draft picks, proclaiming that New York has the 69th pick instead of 68th. Nice.)

Speaking of, they take this guy, Mr. Irrelevant 2030.

What did the Jazz do with their three picks in a row?

They bought up all the best looking shooting guards. And every pithy comment was about how they were filling a position of need. Gosh. If only they had a really good shooting guard. Like, I dunno, let's say for example an All-NBA, three time all-star and four time dunk contest champion under the age of 30 that was on contract for three years. And not one of these useless stiffs they got out of trading him. And not the second-string point guard they let walk during the offseason.

Jesus, the Jazz are stupid. Also, that guy with the 74 OVR is like, the third highest OVR guy in the draft and has already achieved his potential, which is also 74. This draft was terrible.

I pick up my team options on B.J. Lawrence, who was way better than I expected, and Joshua Carr, who is somehow still 19. That has to be a glitch. I'm pretty sure I drafted him at 19. If he's not 20 by next season, I'm aging him to... Iunno 21? 22? Zach Chase is possibly the first rookie I don't pick up an option for? He sucked. Even the expansion teams didn't want him.

FAKE EDIT:
Carr's age is definitely a glitch. His birth year was listed as his "age", 19, so I changed it to 2011, since that's what let me move him to a 2-year player.

Hey, there's always a chance no one will sign Payton. Plus, I'm over the cap either way, so waiving the rights to his cap hold doesn't actually give us money to sign someone else. There's an off chance no one signs Payton, but I doubt it.

By OVR, the stat the AI values to the detriment of every rational level of decision making, he's the fourth best Free Agent this offseason. The top two are the two centers that were playing for the Knicks. Who have no chance of re-signing either, unless they want to stay in the "several hundred dollars over the luxury tax" zone. Delicious. Otherwise, kind of a weak free agency.

My big concern this offseason was getting one of my best players back. I could have tossed this to thread, but, I was worried about getting either of my big men to come for another season, and also, I was just kinda in the mood to play.

And don't balk at that contract, please. Remember 97 rated DeAndre Ayton up there? Wanted 45 million a year? Yeah. Per 36 minutes, Harry here has better points, rebounds, and assists per game, and he shoots a higher field goal percentage. With Doncic and Giannis both beginning to decline, Ayton is actually the highest rated player in the league. Harry might be better. And, you know, 13 OVR worse. OVR is garbage, gently caress OVR.

Off camera I float a 6 million dollar, one-year contract to the somehow-still-productive at 37 (38?!) years old Delon Wright.

:monocle: :shepspends: Holy.... Bye, Craig. That's not a 3 year deal, that's a 3+player option deal. It's also the maximum amount of dollars Craig could legally be paid. What's frustrating is, as "merely above average" as he was for the Honu, given his own team, he's liable to actually be worth it. Que ser a, ser a.

I spent the entirety of the offseason haggling with Donta Greene or other power forwards, trying to convince someone to take the loving mid-level exception, since I can't afford anything else. Eventually, though it's more than I wanted to pay, I get Greene to agree to the following:

Which actually has a player option for next season I hope he just takes, because at the time he signed the Honu literally didn't have a Power Forward on their roster---my "backup" plan was to run Bol out of position next to Francis, but we'd have still been really shallow up front, with only B.J. Lawrence off the bench. Bernie Lawrence somehow signs his 2 million dollar offer sheet I didn't actually offer him, and we're still short a couple of players to go into next season. I have a mid level exception and any number of veteran minimum deals.

After summer league ends and before the season starts, you have one last scramble at free agency to get your roster up to 15 players. The Honu are thin at both forward positions (since both Bernie Lawrence and Joshua Carr are still really raw and Claude Hicks is nowhere near NBA ready, and maybe never will be.) I spend the MLE (a little less, actually!) on this guy that's come up in the thread a few times, and I know drat well is better than his OVR and his actual usage by the AI:

And immediately slide him over to my SF rotation. I offer a veteran middle deal to Luka Samanic, who had the best assists/36 minutes out of all PFs willing to sign with me for the minimum.

The Bulls sign some pretty nasty defense in all their front-court positions, and might actually make some noise with that squad. ....or would, if they had kept Mansiz, who went to the Hornets. Also, the center they gave the worse deal to is the better of the two centers. gently caress OVR.

The Cavs sign 5 wings for some reason, but the one they give all the money to is the least productive. Again, gently caress OVR.

The heat pick up two former all-stars (but value one less than Kevin Huerter, so he's probably just a rental. gently caress OVR) Nonetheless, that's a bunch of talent around Reyes. Unfortunately, they lost Dorrell Mills, who they were renting

The Nuggets dig into their pocketbooks to keep their playoff core together---and I would, too. They forced the eventual champions to a 7 game series decided by 2 points.

Our thread rivals, the Ravens, do us a solid and sign two of the nastier shooting guards we met in the playoffs to long-term deals, taking them away from their teams. Also, Shelden Hamilton who oozes potential. (Also, jesus christ the AI in this game is so bad. Once something is a position of need, they'll blow all resources on it during the draft or during free agency, or wherever in overcompensating, even if they get a guy that can help at that position. So you see just a tremendous amount of redundancy like this. Who the hell playtests this mode(No one. We all know it's no one.))

The Spurs ink in their young superstar for the long haul, but then dramatically overspend on other players I'm dubious will help.

The Celtics are one of the big winners in free agency, getting the best (according to OVR, but gently caress OVR) player in the league, and also the actual best player realistically available during free agency, Dorrell Mills.

But the big winners, of course, are the Los Angeles Clippers:

Signing three of the best young players available (and at different positions, at that!) to longterm deals, and just completely turning their team around. That trio scares the poo poo out of me. Maybe I should have matched Payton and gone into "lolknicks" level of Luxury Tax. Also, what the gently caress Utah, Walter Curtis was an RFA and the best player on your team. Hell, he might have been the only good player on your team. He's sure as poo poo better than Kyle loving Kuzma. How the gently caress is the AI in this game so, so bad? How the hell is OVR so loving bad? How is everything so bad?

>sigh<

Well, the Clippers aren't bad. Now. I guess.

The other winner in the offseason, dear reader, is everyone.

Eat poo poo, New York.

The Player Progression phase kicks in, and is alarming.

:frogsiren: Bol Bol and William Floyd are both regressing early :frogsiren: How the hell are you two going down so hard at 30 when loving Dylan Windler is staying roughly the same (some declines, several increases, same OVR) at 34? drat you both.
On the other hand, Bol will enter contract extension negotiations this year, and Floyd next year. This team is officially on the back half of its reign of terror atop the League. Unless Cisse also starts regressing way too early, we should still be pretty good to transition into whatever comes next. We're not going to be in quite the situation facing the 76ers:

UGLY. That was a good team, once

Or, for that matter, the Mavs, who still are a good team, even with this sea of red.

The best part of player progression for me was checking out my players' badges, to see if there were any new, good ones, and I notice Jacque Cisse has developed a defensive badge. I assume it's got to be bronze off-ball pest or maybe clamps, because so many teammates have those two.

NO WAY. The loving game gave him silver Chase Down Artist. I swear upon my power that I did not give this to Cisse. The game, somehow, somehow recognized his two clutch blocks in the NBA finals and decided "welp, I guess that's just a skill this player has now". You're still trash, 2k, but I'll give you this one. This one made my day.

The Honu Endure.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 23, 2020

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Could you move Minnesota to the Southwest division? At least that way they wouldn't constantly be changing time zones on intradivision road trips.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

oldskool posted:

Could you move Minnesota to the Southwest division? At least that way they wouldn't constantly be changing time zones on intradivision road trips.

Honestly? I'm tempted to vacate Utah for their crimes. I may as well use that as an excuse to re-align the league.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dang it Bol Bol! Get your act together! The Honu need you!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

How far over the cap are the Knicks? Is their bold strategy of not even signing veteran's minimum dudes helping or are they still miles above the limit?

oldskool posted:

To add a little more detail to this, the TV contracts for the NBA are split between "national TV contracts" and "local TV contracts". The local TV contracts for each team require the NBA to make approximately 65-70 games available for local broadcast. If a team falls short of this, they do not get the full value of their local TV contract and need to basically repay/forgo money based on the number of games you were short. Of course in a normal year, this is never an issue; the NBA just coordinates all this well in advance and it all works great.

However, prior to the shutdown, most teams were somewhere in the 60's for total games played, so they were way off of meeting their local TV contracts. So effectively every single extra game they can squeeze out is money straight into the pockets of owners and players by helping to satisfy the local TV contracts. This is why they didn't just go straight to the playoffs - the eight games means those 22 teams either fully satisfy their local TV contracts or come quite close.

BUT the flip side of this coin is that the Playoff TV contracts are separate payouts. So there's a balancing act - what's the absolute most teams we can put in the bubble to get as close to satisfying local TV contracts as we can without creating too much risk that Covid will go rampant and you lose the Playoff TV money?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Man I went through my first offseason in my myleague yesterday and it is grueling. I also didn't understand half of what was happening. All the more respect to you for doing it repeatedly and understanding it!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

oldskool posted:

Ah, yes... the great American tradition of "gently caress personal and social, more money more more more" as seen in literally everything lately.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Keep pissing me off, Utah.

I can move you elsewhere, if I must. (Apparently this team was made for a Youtube channel I have not sat down to watch, yet. Accordingly, I neither support nor condemn this channel.)

Just.... everything about this concept. The name, the jerseys, (Oh, my god. I can edit that to one of those Y necks. Yeeeesssssssss) The POW symbol, the mascot. Look at that mascot. It's so stupid. I love it.

This is, potentially, the looming threat to teams that piss me off enough. The penalty box, if you would. I'm sure I can find more.... designs.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have a question about (further) expansion. It could have been cropped, but the screenshot you showed of the new league alignment only had two extra slots accounting for the addition of Montréal and Seattle. Is the league capped at 36 teams total, then? I am curious as I was wondering if, over time, one could expand into all of the cities and have a ridiculously huge league.

Addendum: For what it's worth, I have no objection to you re-aligning the league so that teams make the most sense in their conferences and that everything is of equal size. It drove me nuts years ago when the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West and, in later years, when the Houston Astros were in a 6-team NL central while the AL west had only 4 teams. Granted, since this game does not have the real-life problem of travel fatigue and doesn't even model at is far as I know, I suppose that it doesn't much matter.

Edit: Would it make sense, perhaps, to swap the Wizards and Grizzlies? Memphis is much more "South", both culturally and geographically, than DC. I also think that the Suns make more sense in the Southwestern division.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Thread Hero Bol Bol's first real life NBA game was so incredibly awesome that he got immediately drug tested afterwards:
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nuggets-bol-bol-drug-tested-following-stellar-performance-in-nba-debut/

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

I have a question about (further) expansion. It could have been cropped, but the screenshot you showed of the new league alignment only had two extra slots accounting for the addition of Montréal and Seattle. Is the league capped at 36 teams total, then? I am curious as I was wondering if, over time, one could expand into all of the cities and have a ridiculously huge league.

Addendum: For what it's worth, I have no objection to you re-aligning the league so that teams make the most sense in their conferences and that everything is of equal size. It drove me nuts years ago when the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West and, in later years, when the Houston Astros were in a 6-team NL central while the AL west had only 4 teams. Granted, since this game does not have the real-life problem of travel fatigue and doesn't even model at is far as I know, I suppose that it doesn't much matter.

Edit: Would it make sense, perhaps, to swap the Wizards and Grizzlies? Memphis is much more "South", both culturally and geographically, than DC. I also think that the Suns make more sense in the Southwestern division.

The first answer is yes, the game is capped at 36 teams. So I won't be able to have all at once.

As far as the divisions, aside from the expansion teams and the Grizzlies, who I moved, these are the real divisions. So some are in weird places, such as Phoenix not being Southwest, when Phoenix and maybe Albuquerque are what people immediately think of AS the Southwest. I can't rename the divisions. Teams were set up in order to have division teams close to each other. I moved Memphis since it's closer to several central teams than, say, Miami. However, I didn't realize how far Minnesota is from, like, everyone, and should have probably moved them instead.

MagusofStars posted:

Thread Hero Bol Bol's first real life NBA game was so incredibly awesome that he got immediately drug tested afterwards:
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nuggets-bol-bol-drug-tested-following-stellar-performance-in-nba-debut/

:hellyeah:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

The first answer is yes, the game is capped at 36 teams. So I won't be able to have all at once.

As far as the divisions, aside from the expansion teams and the Grizzlies, who I moved, these are the real divisions. So some are in weird places, such as Phoenix not being Southwest, when Phoenix and maybe Albuquerque are what people immediately think of AS the Southwest. I can't rename the divisions. Teams were set up in order to have division teams close to each other. I moved Memphis since it's closer to several central teams than, say, Miami. However, I didn't realize how far Minnesota is from, like, everyone, and should have probably moved them instead.

I will say that in terms of conference it's a very logical setup. Again, this game doesn't implement travel as a feature, and as it stands every Western Conference team is west of the Mississippi and every EC team is east of it. As the Mississippi river is generally considered the sort of natural geographic barrier that separates the eastern US from the western, I have no objection to it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
CHAPTER 16, 2030-2031, Part 2, Until All-Star Break

Our first game of the 2030-31 NBA season is against the reborn Supersonics. And, while we win, I thought I'd check out the young team to see how they look.

:eyepop: Holy Moly! I can't believe Montreal passed on that kid. This is not just Silvestre's first game with the Sonics, this is his first game in the NBA, and he's playing against the champions. That kind of poise doesn't come to everyone.

A rookie wins the West's first player of the week for the season. That's got to be a good feeling for the poor, starved Seattle fans.

I was really hoping that they'd give it to William Floyd, because he posted this one against Boston in the Honu's second game:

But it's hard to be too disappointed when confronted with that much catharsis, you know?

Early on, we get this pop-up. Luckily, Delon Wright is still alive, and our prospect player, Joshua Carr, does spot minutes at the shooting guard. Eminescu would eventually come back and be one of our best players for the season, but before then, since he's one of our leading scorers, we get a lot of berserk performances from Bol, including these two in the same week:

Which, of course, means he's very deservedly named player of the week. Remember, 30+ point games in the 30 second shot clock era are rare for most players. Floyd's 39 point game was the season high for any player until much closer to the all-star break.

Also, look at that beautiful rainbow. 6 weeks with 11 different players is a pretty open field, talent-wise.

We also get this jewel from Bol a couple weeks later, which, combined with a 16/16 outing, is enough for a second Player of the Week award in just three weeks.

We also get to see that Les Voyageurs have their own budding young star. The expansion teams' records aren't nearly as good as the Ravens and Honu were in their first year, but I figure the future looks pretty bright for them both.

Irritatingly, Bol isn't in the top 5 for MVP voting, despite being only one of three players with multiple players of the week. The current leader for the award is Zion Williamson, who isn't even the best performing player on his team, but, in his defense, is starting at center despite being like, 6'6. Maybe whoever posts these rankings is appreciative of the tenacity needed to be the sole person willing to patrol the paint in the best team of the East (somehow, still) (Well, not somehow. They still have all those other guys)

Heading into the all-star break, standings are as follows:

West

East

Well, the expansion teams aren't at the very bottom, at least. The Rockets done hosed up, but I'll have to cover that next update. The Suns' rise and the Kings' drop is because Todor Szomory signed with Phoenix for the year (and also, Devin Booker is balling, currently leading all scorers), the Lakers really should have been good last year. Vancouver's poaching of our playoff opponents' shooting guards has paid dividends for us both. The East is starting to shake up.

The teams are selected for the 2031 all-star game.

Some notes:

~ Kristaps Porzingis was manually added (so this is only his 5th selection... I don't know why it displays an extra year for added all-stars). You may notice that Luka Doncic is only an All-Star reserve, instead of his usual role, which is team captain. That's because he wasn't able to crack the fan vote, which in turn is because he was injured for the first 25 games of the season. Kristaps had a big year, and kept the Mavericks in playoff contention while their bigger star was out. He replaces John Collins, because :laffo: at the idea of a team with 16 wins getting two loving all-stars outside of the fan vote. Or one all star outside the fan vote.

~ Fabricio Nunez was manually added (replaces Richard Morris). This is his first all-star selection. He's currently the starting point guard and lead scorer for the Detroit Pistons. I'm a little irritated that he's an all-star before Jacque Cisse, but, then again, Jacque helped get us two championships, so I don't exactly have regrets.

~ Bryant Lowe is the guy I was referring to as "outperforming the guy in the lead for MVP voting" on his team. Bryant Lowe is scary as hell. He was selected naturally by the AI.

~ Michael Porter Jr. was manually added (Replaces... some loser. Stelios Dourekas?). It's odd to have to replace a Center with a Small Forward. I had too many front-court players to replace and needed to add more guards. I want to say Porter is still on the Thunder, but he's been balling. He's got something ridiculous like 25 PER for the season to date. This is his fourth all-star selection

~ Collin Sexton got more votes than Trae Young somehow. O_o

~ Leroy Long was manually added (replaces some loser). He's currently playing center for the Miami Heat. I have no idea how the Lakers are this good without him. Maybe chemistry was thrown off because he was irritated (rightly so) about playing behind Jaxson Hayes. (Because OVR is poison) This is his second all-star selection.

~ Harry Francis was manually added. (Replaces some other loser) This one surprised me. When I asked for permission to add Honu, I just assumed that I'd have Floyd up here at one point, and hopefully Cisse some day. And I kept combing through front court players on the other west teams, as far deep as the eleventh place Thunder (where Kabengele is). And I kept asking myself, "Are there at least 7 front court players in the west that are playing better than Harry Francis?" and the answer, it turns out, is no. He's one of the few players in the NBA averaging a double-double, but he plays about 5 minutes less per game than any of the others who do. He's currently in the lead for sixth man of the year. This is his first selection.

~ Lawrence Miller was manually added. He replaces Jaylen Brown. I'm irritated as all hell by the arbitrary restrictions on the all-star game, outside of the fan vote. Jaylen Brown is, at best, the fourth best player on the Lakers. He's not even the best player at his position on the Lakers, which is what Lawrence Miller is. I wanted to replace him with Courtney Banks, but the game literally wouldn't let me add another guard, and, even with the injury, I wasn't about to replace Doncic. Booker is also untouchable this year, and it was easier to find a guard for the ravens than a front court player. It's Miller's first, and likely only, all-star selection.

~ Darius Garland was manually added, too. I forget who he replaces, but what the gently caress? He's one of the best point guards in the league and playing very well for the third seeded Pacers. I can't believe I had to add him over whateverthehell loser I replaced. This is his second selection.

~ Stewart Hampton is the scoring leader and starting shooting guard for the Ravens. His departure from Memphis is almost certainly why they're suddenly fighting to even get to the playoffs, while Vancouver is suddenly a conference leader again. This is the Englishman's first selection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And, since it's been a while, I thought I'd run down the team.

Bol Bol Remains our team's bright star. Even though he's technically starting to decline, you wouldn't know it from the stellar season he's been having. OVR is OVR-rated anyhow. His scoring has shot back up, largely because Payton is no longer demanding so much usage (and then not delivering for us. He's been good for the Clippers, though. I nearly made him an all-star)

Jacque Cisse was in the 50/40/90 club last year, after coming close a few times (once with a season under 40% from 3, and another under 90% from the line) His current shooting is an absolutely loving lights out 56/49/96. Just spitting fire to start the season. He also recorded a game where he got three blocks, so his new badge is actually kicking in.

William Floyd also had a 50/40/90 season last year and might be on pace for it this year. He started the season really hot but has cooled down some. He's still very efficient at scoring and gets a lot of assists (also down) for a shooting guard. I attribute both of these things less to his own decline, which was fairly slight, and more to him deferring to his back-court mate, because holy poo poo, look at those numbers. Jacque Cisse is great.

Harry Francis is a top 5 center playing behind a top 3 center, but he gives us completely a different look on offense than Bol.

Donta Greene is still his weird, pass first self, but that's honestly why I like him, at this point. He's averaging about 8/6/3 from the power forward position, and his shooting is the best it's been during his career. He briefly complained about touches, and is also the only player I have ever seen shut up about it on his own when his teammate started bugging out. I changed nothing. It's like he saw Bol start going off and went, "Actually, I think the big fella's got it covered" and got quiet again. I'm monitoring the situation, because, Donta, baby, you're in the game because you pass to players who are better at scoring than you.

Dylan Windler is the primary exhibit in why OVR doesn't matter. He refuses to age, usually doesn't score a ton, but absolutely can and will catch fire sometimes, and he's in the top 10 among all small forwards in both rebounds and assists, and top 5 if you adjust to per 36 minutes. He is also fourth among Small Forwards in Assist Ratio and PPR. Windler, Greene, and Floyd being such willing passers is the main reason why Honolulu is the top team in assists, and have been for several years. Fun fact: The only player on the Honu to average more than 5 assists per game this season is Gheorghe Filimon. Speaking of

Gheorghe Filimon is averaging 7 points and 6 assists per game on 49% shooting from deep. He plays solid defense now, somehow, and leads all players in assists per 36 minutes. (He's actually the only player to have more than 10 per 36 minutes. The League Leader for assists is still Hakan Mansiz)

Gheorghe Eminescu seems mad that he got injured earlier in the season, and is shooting 50% from range, second highest in the NBA currently. Actually, Eminescu, Cisse, and Filimon are ranked 2-4 in 3pt%. He has a higher points per 36 minutes than Floyd, currently, and he's been playing better defense than anyone on the team. He regularly takes Floyd's starting spot for stretches, and Floyd has long since stopped complaining about it.

Herbert Curry is a deeply flawed temp that I like. His sole job is to run off screens and hit shots, and maybe pass if the defense rotates quick enough. He shoots decently and is one of the bottom in the league in turnovers per 36, so he does this job well. Which is good. Because I really mean it when I say that's his sole job. Curry somehow has 0 rebounds. Not an average of 0 per game, I mean he literally has not gotten a rebound after 49 games. Not a single rebound. He is 6'7. Muggsy Bogues averaged two and a half rebounds per game for his career, and was 5'3. (Which is insanely impressive. Bogues' career average for rebounds is better than Robin Lopez's average this season, and Lopez is 7'0 and playing significant minutes on what was the best team in the league)

Delon Wright has told me that age has finally caught up with him, and will be retiring at the end of the season. God bless him, he still does a little of everything, including defense somehow, and he's always there when the Honu need a steady hand in a game. I'm really gonna miss him.

Luka Samanic hardly ever plays, and I generally don't get much out of him when he does, but at least he's willing to pass out to our shooters.

Joshua Carr is a long-term project that I've actually already had for quite some time, and still feels like a project. His age and potential are still pretty tantalizing, even though I unglitched him and he's 20 instead of 19. Which is still probably a year too young, but, gently caress it. As near as I can tell, this was an isolated bug. While he doesn't play enough to actually start scoring, I'm very encouraged by how much his shooting percentages have jumped this year, skyrocketing from a putrid sub 40 on 2 and sub 30 on 3, to 47% on 2 and 58% on three. (He has only attempted 12 threes, so that's small sample size at work---or, since he's played quite a few games, another possible interpretation is, he's started to learn to not take bad shots) Those numbers can't possibly hold, but I'd be shocked if they dropped all the way to prior levels, I think he's turning a corner. If I can sign him for a very cheap long-term deal, he might be a huge help.

Bernie Lawrence is somehow on this team, but I'm not complaining. I lied about Eminescu being our best defender--I forgot this guy existed. In my defense, he doesn't play a whole lot. At any rate, depending on what he asks for in the off-season, I wouldn't be opposed to him staying around. He only attempts decent shots, so shoots about 50% from the field, but he's also averaging less than 2 points a game on 10 minutes a game, if he actually plays. He's not a 3 and D guy. He's a "Well, gently caress it, I guess I can score an occasional fast break layup" guy, but at least he creates fast breaks.

B.J. Lawrence is the lowest OVR on our team, and I am committed to developing him, so I have to manually add him to the rotation. He's still competent, averaging about 4 and 3 as one of the last guys on my rotation, and the very last guy on the AI's rotation. He's only 22, so unless he loses his mind and asks for like, 10 million, I intend to sign him for as long as I can in the off-season. Currently, he only projects to want 5M, which I'm inclined to do. If I can get him for 5 years and if he develops at all, by the time that 5th year rolls around, he'll probably be making less than 7 million a year, and could theoretically be worth way, way more.

Speaking of contracts, I extended Bol for 4 years, and got him to agree to way better terms than he was asking for, including me making his contract front loaded. His starting figure for next season is 34M, which would still make him the highest paid player on our team, but it's also a 7 million dollar pay cut from what we're paying him this year. Hopefully, he has a slower decline, but if he doesn't, it's going to be less damaging to the Honu with every successive year. By the time his contract is less per year than Cisse's, I actually expect Cisse to have overtaken him for value.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm really enjoying the voyageurs logo :allears:

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

You did it, Delon's retiring a Honu. :unsmith:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

FartingBedpost posted:

You did it, Delon's retiring a Honu. :unsmith:

CJ McCollum is retiring, too, after spending his entire fairly productive 18 year career with the Blazers. I'm really curious if the game retires his number, or if you basically have to be a multiple time all star.

I'm preparing myself to be mad. Players don't really do that sort of thing anymore.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
CHAPTER 16, 2030-2031, Part 3, End of Regular Season

Oh, Bol's team won the all-star game. Giannis is named the All-Star game MVP. William Floyd is the only Honu selected for the three point shooting contest, despite being the fifth or sixth best three point shooter on the team. He also doesn't win, because, duh.

The Honu have a solid team that plays well together, and while their record isn't the best its been, several of their key pieces are playing some of the best seasons of their career. I made some overtures over trying to acquire a first round draft pick, but no one was biting. Eventually, I stood firm at the trade deadline, but not everyone else did.

The Voyageurs apparently got whatever they wanted out of DiVincenzo. Aaron Gordon had a long strange trip all the way back to Orlando, and Golden State desperately does what it can to get Wiggins back---they want a scorer to pair next to KAT before his prime evaporates with nothing to show for it. I actually feel kind of bad for Towns. He averaged 20/10 last season in the slow-down era, and has nothing to show for it. One or two competent teammates, and he'd have been the MVP. For a long stretch of the season, Nikola Jokic was top 3 in assists per game, and the galaxy brained front office of the Rockets decide that means they can trade their all-star (and fringe MVP candidate in his own right) point guard. It does not work well.

I'm starting to see some major numbers like this from Donta Greene. It'd be nice to work out a solution with him that wasn't so temporary.

Bol starts sensing the playoffs are coming and begins his yearly transformation. The madness is upon him.

An extended set of games like this allow him to rule the charts for two whole weeks.

...and thus the month.

Also, Richard Morris started sonning the entire league around this time. I took him out of the all-star game, and he seemed to take it personally. By the end of the season, he would be averaging 20 points and over 7 assists. If he were doing that when I checked, I'd have probably left him in, losing record be damned. He was actually put into the game as an injury replacement anyhow, so this is one point to the simulation. Spy also the second player of the week appearance by Frederic Silverstre. It's a shame he's already 26, because there hasn't been this much buzz in the league about a young player in some time.

:frogsiren: HE GOT ONE :frogsiren:
Sure, the Honu lost the game, but.... he got one. Just in time for the season to end.

(My screenshot was taken late, so spoiler alert for two first games of unrelated playoff series)

....whe...where's Dallas? Where's Milwaukee!? And is that.... Chicago? The Bulls end a 14 year drought and find themselves back in the dance. The Clippers ride their new "Big Three" (along with a few good pieces) to a smooth second place, I still don't understand how the hell the Lakers are so good, (I mean, I actually do. The AI thought their fourth best player was worthy of being an all-star. That speaks volumes for their depth)

Actual standings:

At any rate, Giannis is just looking mortal---he's still a fantastic player, and was on the top of MVP voting until it became apparent that the Bucks missed the playoffs. Dallas was just snake-bit this whole season with Injuries to Doncic, Beal, Porzingis, and Julius Randal at different points for pretty big stretches.

At any rate, neither Dallas nor Milwaukee making the playoffs leaves the MVP field wide open. In addition to the usual suspects, like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Bol, Ja Morant, and Ben Simmons, this also saw guys like Richard Morris (until the Magic were eliminated mathematically), Dorrell Mills, Darius Bazley, and Leroy Long. Could this be Bol's year?

:sigh: No. Of course not.
I will say this, though. Zion might have earned this one. The Knicks are still mostly a super-team, but then, they don't actually have a center. Early on in the season, this was sort of a Steve Nash situation, where, sure, he arguably wasn't the best player on his team, but the entire system collapses without him, and it's "most valuable" player. I can't imagine the Knicks were winning much without a Herculean effort from 6'6 Zion playing out of position for literally the entire season. And the team won't collapse as dramatically as I want. Stupid bird rights (to be fair, the things that let us keep our own team together this past season) let them extend most of the nonsense squad for another several years for way too much money and taxes. But the plus side is, they're definitely mortal now. And ain't no way this little bastard can defend Harry Francis or Bol Bol, so I'm not going to go quietly if we meet up in the finals.

Foregone conclusion. I sure hope that French Point Guard I drafted this offseason is as good as the last two turned out (I'd say three, but I'm pretty sure there was some junk between Tony Parker and Jacque Cisse)

Harry's numbers fell off a little from his stellar first half of the season self, but he was in the lead for this award for the entirety of the season.

Still not good enough for the playoffs though, Ike.

Told you the Pacers gave up on him too fast.

Yeah, OK, I guess you ran a weird lineup this time. You're still a fraud for those other ones, though, Stauffer.

All NBA First Team:

Second:

Third:

Thanks for being All-NBA for everyone else but us, Craig. Jackass.

All defense First team:

Second:

Jesus, Silverstre's here, too? What even is this kid?

Rookies:

"Vitor Vitti" is me taking one of the "rename players" suggestions from the thread--- only, the suggestion was "Victor Victorio", I want to say? Well, the announcer won't say "Victorio" so I went with a close approximation that I felt captured the same spirit. Anyhow, he was originally another Stelios Doureakas. I renamed him, changed him from Greek to Brazilian, etc, etc. I intend to do this sort of thing with doubled names that I see, unless it's been a long time between players with the same name in the league and it's a pretty generic name. (I left the auto-generated "Josh Smith" in, for instance. There've been two real life players named "Isaiah Thomas", etc etc).

At any rate, it's playoff season again. I'll have those posted either some time this weekend or Monday, depending on heat/errands. Good thing our first round opponent is >checks notes< ....the team that frightens me most in the entire playoffs. I'm sure it's fine.

:tif:

This ends the official update. Long-winded rant on the auto-generated draft classes to follow as a separate post, in case folks don't want to hear me come unhinged, it can safely be skipped over.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
2k's international draft prospect generation is..... ............mgnf. Lazy. I'm comfortable with calling it "LAZY". As near as I can tell, even though the game has a large list of countries that you can hail from, but actually only selects from a really small number of these when it generates a draft. This is despite having a fairly robust list of names it will pronounce that originate from other regions.... it'll say things like "Singh" but never in a thousand drafts generate an Indian player. Nor will it generate an American player with the last name Singh, or, for that matter, an English player. Non US Countries use a ridiculously limited name pool. England is all Stewarts and Stuarts and Hamptons and Wenningtons and white as hell. You know what Britain's best NBA player ever was named? "Luol Deng"(though somewhat undermining my point, in that specific instance, the game would have said he was from "Duke".)btw gently caress Duke "Alec" seems to be one of the few names Australians can have. Is "Alec" a quintessential Australian name? How about "Boomer?" You tell me. Also, until someone proves otherwise, I'm convinced the game will never generate a Black player in Europe. And that seems like a pretty fuckin' weird stance for the game to take when the best player in the entire league is Black and European. It'll make guys that are ambiguous fairly frequently. The other thing about these names on the international list? They're locked to the countries. So guys with Chinese last names? Universally from China. There haven't been very many Asian-Americans to make the NBA, yet, but that word "yet" is doing an awful lot of work. This game can run until 2100. Wrap your head around that year, and tell me, if the world survives, and the country survives, and the league survives, that things wouldn't look a little different? (At least the game actually will use Latinx names for US Rookies.)

I've ran dozens and dozens of test drafts, in addition to the.... 11? 12? that we've had in the thread, and I can also tell you, while the game files have many African countries a player can come from, the sole African Country I have seen in the auto-generated NBA draft is Nigeria. And, to be fair, there's been significantly more NBA players to come out of Nigeria than any other African country, more than the next three combined, in fact, but if they're weighting the randomizer odds by perceived historical accuracy, then why are there one or more Romanian players every year, when there's been one Romanian NBA player, ever? That's right: the Honolulu Honu have more Romanian players on our team than have ever been in the NBA. (The guy who was in the real world NBA was also named "Gheorghe".)

The NBA has existed for almost 75 years now. And in those 75 years, there's only been a comparatively small handful of international players who have made it, and accordingly, they come from a smallish list of countries, usually ones with a history of a very competitive approach to sports. So maybe, maybe the randomizer will actually pull on some of these names/countries/etc that I know are in the database. Maybe the RNG is just weighted somewhat realistically. Or what's perceived as realistic. Maybe the odds of getting a player who comes from, say, Singapore, aren't zero, but so low you may as well never see it happen in a full 80 year sim, because there's never been an NBA player from Singapore. Maybe they're actually zero. Here's the thing, though: International players are playing a bigger and bigger role in the NBA. The game accordingly generates a lot of international talent. Also, the way the game handles draft-and-stash players playing a season overseas, they develop like crazy---they tend to be really good on their rookie year. So, as of the 2030-31 season, more of the league are international players than ever. And almost all of that talent comes from Europe, and, unlike many of the actual international players who come from Europe, literally none of them after dozens of tests are Black. They're either white, or ambiguous. And the part that I think is damning is they bother to have some that are ambiguous. Like, Dennis Schroder is right there, winning sixth man of the year for a billion years in everyone's sims. He's German, and he's Black. It's more work to make an acceptable "look" for international players than just use the same pool of models the US has. Why is your incorrect interpretation of realistic ethnicity the one loving thing you put effort into, 2K? And why do you seemingly put in effort to pretend you're not doing it?

I'm not accusing the developers of anything more than being lazy and stupid. The same thing I've been accusing them of since the first page. I'm white enough where if I actually come right out and declare that the game is racist, it feels performative and unhelpful. But I also know that, were I charge of the game, I'm white enough where I'd be uncomfortable noticing the trend the league starts to take after a few years, and how it could reflect upon me.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 25, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I would put money on it that Alec is an Australian basketballer from the 60s like every other generated name, absolutely not a common name in Australia. Boomer is really archaic slang for a kangaroo, but also the name of our men's international team.

e: There's apparently an Alec Hillman from Australia playing in the Canadian CCAA. :shrug:

e2: I'm going to go ahead and guess that Australian players are just as white as Europe despite Patty Mills, an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander being easily one of our best players to play in the NBA.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 25, 2020

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Almost the whole West's form coming into the playoffs is rather ordinary.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The game loves to give people from South American countries the name Ciro.

I've used a couple of random name generators for this, and NCAA Football in the past. I don't really care if the announcers can say the name, it just adds a bit of spice to the game since 90-95% of the time the names are fairly generic. OOTP seems to be the best at providing a good mix of ordinary and rare names compared to games like NBA 2K and NCAA Football. I don't change a whole draft class/recruit class obviously as that's painful.

My top two are:

http://random-name-generator.info/
https://www.behindthename.com/random/ - This one's pretty good for international names.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Largepotato posted:

Almost the whole West's form coming into the playoffs is rather ordinary.

I noticed also that the league right now seems very balanced, especially out west. We've seen that even a regular-season juggernaut (i.e. last year's Knicks) can burn out in the playoffs, but no team won 60 games out west and only one team won less than 30 (Seattle @ 29). The Knicks had the best record in the East, but we've talked about that. Baseball has a very poor correlation between regular season performance and playoff success, but basketball's correlation has always been fairly solid. With no Giannis or Luka, I think that this is going to be a competitive and exciting playoffs that will be about staying healthy and depth.

VSM, if ever you wanted to do a playoff rundown that goes into greater depth on each series, this would be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Armitage posted:

The game loves to give people from South American countries the name Ciro.

I've used a couple of random name generators for this, and NCAA Football in the past. I don't really care if the announcers can say the name, it just adds a bit of spice to the game since 90-95% of the time the names are fairly generic. OOTP seems to be the best at providing a good mix of ordinary and rare names compared to games like NBA 2K and NCAA Football. I don't change a whole draft class/recruit class obviously as that's painful.

My top two are:

http://random-name-generator.info/
https://www.behindthename.com/random/ - This one's pretty good for international names.

I usually just change the ones that stick out as "Oh, yeah, I definitely remember another guy by that name." and it's partly to de-homogenize the league, and it's partly to not confuse myself as a player. There's a guy either in this or last draft class that I changed the name, because he was named "Bryan Lowe", which isn't exactly the same as Bryant Lowe, but..... it's close enough to a guy I'm constantly talking about that I didn't want to inadvertently screw up my thread.

I've also taken to changing up the schools some kids come from (only if I'm editing them for name already). Why? Why not. It's no work to just hold down an arrow key an arbitrary number of seconds, and it beats having draft classes of like, 8 guys from Duke or Michigan State every year.