Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I actually really want a semi-coop where everyone's a Union general and the goal is to get elected president after the war

More battles--and more denying your fellow generals a chance to participate--mean more chances you will win and gain public recognition, but more chances you will lose and get public contempt, get replaced, and/or get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Push your luck game, then?

Win...win...draw...draw...large loss of life draw...win...should I stop? nah...poo poo I GOT SHOT

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wing Leader Expansion 3 just got to my place.

Dope.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

silvergoose posted:

So kind of like Churchill where if you spend too much bickering you lose the war, or just a political slapfight during the Johnson presidency?

Yeah the original inspiration for the idea was Churchill, plus a wish that USCW stuff modeled the political infighting. Have absolutely not developed the idea at all, however

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

If you're looking for participation LPs about being union generals.. stay tuned for something in the future.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

homullus posted:

More battles--and more denying your fellow generals a chance to participate--mean more chances you will win and gain public recognition, but more chances you will lose and get public contempt, get replaced, and/or get shot.

How about a game where you score VPs based on how close you come to scoring a decisive victory over the Confederates without actually managing to pull one out? You can also score VPs for losing a battle when you have a numerical advantage, etc. -- any sort of bad generalship counts.

Total your VPs & determine the winner when Grant comes up in the draw pile of generals.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Panzeh posted:

If you're looking for participation LPs about being union generals.. stay tuned for something in the future.

What game is that, I want it

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Squiggle posted:

What game is that, I want it

It's MMP's GCACW series, it's a fantastic system

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.

Panzeh posted:

Awesome! Can't wait to see how you do it!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Obfuscation posted:

It's MMP's GCACW series, it's a fantastic system

Yup. It has surprisingly few moving parts for a system doing what it's doing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The fiddliness of the exhaustion markets is a little tiresome, but considering that's literally the only status counter in the game, it's super fine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah can't wait to give it a try, gonna be reading the rules this week, but from what I've seen of the game, it looks really interesting. Would this be considered operational scale?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Yeah can't wait to give it a try, gonna be reading the rules this week, but from what I've seen of the game, it looks really interesting. Would this be considered operational scale?

Yep.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

The fiddliness of the exhaustion markets is a little tiresome, but considering that's literally the only status counter in the game, it's super fine.

The good thing about the newest vassal modules is they use an all-in-one counter that has all the information and fatigue on the unit itself. See the screenshot- they're a bit busy but they really clean the map up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Between MMP's GCACW series and GMT's GBACW series (plus their US Civil War game), you have all scales covered with near perfect games :colbert:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Between MMP's GCACW series and GMT's GBACW series (plus their US Civil War game), you have all scales covered with near perfect games :colbert:

TUSCW is not near perfect IMO. At that scale, you absolutely need a more detailed and meaningful political component. And the advanced naval rules are just a weird rabbit hole.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wheres A Magnificent Disaster dammit

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I actually really want a semi-coop where everyone's a Union general and the goal is to get elected president after the war

One player gets a secret objective to be elected as a Democrat during the war

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh poo poo, the ASL 2nd Edition rulebook came back in print at MMP at some point. ...I shouldn't shop wargames while high, god drat it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In case anyone here wants to read it, I just posted my AAR for Imperial Struggle in the other thread. The short version is that it's not very good and it needed another round of editing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

man empire of the sun is so great and it's a shame it takes a full day and poring through an awful rulebook to play

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

man empire of the sun is so great and it's a shame it takes a full day and poring through an awful rulebook to play
That’s what you get with Herman. Great games and lovely rulebooks. It’s unfortunate that the small rules really affect the strategy of the rules.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think US Civil War is inferior to its ancestor, VG's Civil War, and also inferior to For the People.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

I think US Civil War is inferior to its ancestor, VG's Civil War, and also inferior to For the People.

For solo play I'd say VG CW, GMT USCW, then FTP

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

For solo play I'd say VG CW, GMT USCW, then FTP

You're not wrong there for solo play tbqh. Though i'm not much of a solo player.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have an insane idea for a goon participation lp. Entire operation of Guadalcanal, with naval and land threads, to be played in General Quarters or Command At Sea and Blitzkrieg Commander or Fistful of Tows.

Im open to suggestions for rulesets for the land aspect tho

General Quarters even has rules for campaign gameplay . . . maybe I can substitute Command At Sea for tactical play to make things more interesting since CAS is meant for double-blind play. That still leaves land gameplay.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 22, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dibs on a naval command !

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

That’s what you get with Herman. Great games and lovely rulebooks. It’s unfortunate that the small rules really affect the strategy of the rules.

I don't think EotS is a particualrly bad rulebook. It's a ridiculously complex game that is incredibly different to every other game so it's easy to miss things.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Its a game on my 'one day' list. I get the feeling it'd be much better, and more of a experience to learn it with a friendly foe so I'm not gonna solo it.

this has nothing to do with Empire of the Sun but should totally be in wargames set during early nuclear cowboy lets-use-them-for-everything days

https://twitter.com/atomicarchive/status/1285608349485223936?s=19

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Is 1979 early enough ?

https://www.quarterdeckinternational.com/store/radiation-dust-fall-of-the-soviet-union

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's better than like Churchill but its still poorly organized, I have trouble finding where each little but important rule is supposed to be. Its probably exacerbated by having a first edition copy with a printed out second edition rulebook so I keep losing track of what rules are current.

Also if someone else wants to play on Vassal I'd probably be down for it again

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sleekly posted:

Its a game on my 'one day' list. I get the feeling it'd be much better, and more of a experience to learn it with a friendly foe so I'm not gonna solo it.

this has nothing to do with Empire of the Sun but should totally be in wargames set during early nuclear cowboy lets-use-them-for-everything days

https://twitter.com/atomicarchive/status/1285608349485223936?s=19

There was an S&T game called "Fail Safe" that lets you fight a US/USSR nuclear exchange with bombers up through the B-58 and Blinder, but somehow in an alternate history where ICBMs aren't a factor. It's in the Nov-Dec 2013 issue.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.battlespacegames.com/red-menace-2nd

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Okay, this looks awesome. I'm definitely interested.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
There's also the old Warplan Dropshot games if you can find them

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6720/warplan-dropshot
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20627/warplan-dropshot-iiiii

Could've sworn they'd gone print/play but eh.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wrapped up this 2-handed solitaire game of Imperial Struggle with FR victory in turn 4 end scoring. Picking up a bunch of advantages is stronger than it looks, though FR eventually got more than they could use in a turn. BR held on to the territories in India but got pushed in the markets, dooming them to lose a bunch of points when cotton kept coming up in demand.

The action rounds are an interesting mix of making priorities and hate drafting to keep your opponent from screwing you. Rules are not great, per GMT standard, leaving some important bits without much emphasis. I like the tension between immediate VP gain and building long-term strength, for instance in the case of European wars that give you mostly VP vs Indian wars that give no VP but let you seize enemy settlements.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Question for the thread - I recently remembered how much I enjoyed playing 1977's Victory in the Pacific, and I was wondering if anyone had made a similar or better game that fills that space (WWII Pacific strategic level, area movement and control, complexity level lower than Empire of the Sun or Pacific War).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Harpoon V just dropped

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Harpoon is just tabletop minis rules but for stupidly detailed naval combat right

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Harpoon is just tabletop minis rules but for stupidly detailed naval combat right

Yes and no. Harpoon 4 and now 5 are very playable and are actually less complicated than some other "mainstream" naval games like Seekrieg. Previous editions are where that reputation as insane comes from

I would recommend it. I would also recommend the other games in the series like the WW2 era Command At Sea. The systems are all largely the same so you can re-enact Final Countdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Doesn't Harpoon use a referee for double-blind stuff?