Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has anyone ever considered that all those twitter accounts are actually the same person? And they are desperate for some BTC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
spent from last night to a coupla hours ago writing this up as a piece for Foreign Policy, which will appear as soon as the copy editors decide it passes their muster. tl;dr bitcoin is scammy, but it was Twitter who hosed up more than any company can and expect to survive, and only still exists 24 hours later because the guy who got COMPLETE CONTROL OVER EVERY loving ACCOUNT decided to use it to run ... a bitcoin scam

i claim credit for posting this one year ago last night:

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1150889652766879744

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

zedprime posted:

A true-ish believer who thought the money tap would be stronger?

It has got to be this. There's too many stupid people surrounding bitcoin for this not to be true. Even the mastermind scammers and hackers believe in the hype a little bit.

BUT, there was a good rumor going around in the Epstein thread that this hack was suspiciously well-timed with taking Ghislaine's court date out of the news cycle. And might have been done as an open threat from Ghislaine-adjacent intelligence folks, since she herself might have been a big internet influencer under cover and Epstein himself was ubiquitous in the bitcoin world even in the earliest days.

They're even wondering for good reason if Epstein was Satoshi all along

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Here's my Foreign Policy piece on the twitter bitcoin thing: plain version and cultural preservation version

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It has got to be this. There's too many stupid people surrounding bitcoin for this not to be true. Even the mastermind scammers and hackers believe in the hype a little bit.

BUT, there was a good rumor going around in the Epstein thread that this hack was suspiciously well-timed with taking Ghislaine's court date out of the news cycle. And might have been done as an open threat from Ghislaine-adjacent intelligence folks, since she herself might have been a big internet influencer under cover and Epstein himself was ubiquitous in the bitcoin world even in the earliest days.

I thought we'd hit diminishing returns on BTC-adjacent idiocy but what you just summarized shows me we have so far still to go.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shumagorath posted:

I thought we'd hit diminishing returns on BTC-adjacent idiocy but what you just summarized shows me we have so far still to go.

There is always more and it is always funnier

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Truly Epstein's greatest crime was seeding that episode of Colbert Report.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1284291528328790016

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

:kiss:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Leave it to Elon to be dumber than the guy who hacked one of the top communication channels on earth and used it to make low six figures in un-fungible butt.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 18, 2020

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Now I don't know if I should root for that guy who had free tesla charging and filled his trunk with miners.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CampingCarl posted:

Now I don't know if I should root for that guy who had free tesla charging and filled his trunk with miners.
Oh god what if Elon decides to make T-Coin or turn all the GPS into miners?

'Sorry, looks like FSD poo poo itself after the GPS burned up while mining, causing your car to drive into a lamp post"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

CampingCarl posted:

That was Elon who filled his trunk with minors

Just kidding, it was filled with miners too, from the blood emeralds

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god what if Elon decides to make T-Coin or turn all the GPS into miners?

'Sorry, looks like FSD poo poo itself after the GPS burned up while mining, causing your car to drive into a lamp post"
I can totally see Musk selling solar panels that sell excess power back with a token or some dumb poo poo.

Happy Thread posted:

That was Elon who filled his trunk with minors

Just kidding, it was filled with miners too, from the blood emeralds
Elon constantly strives for efficiency gains and consolidated them into a single minor miner.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

I can totally see Musk selling solar panels that sell excess power back with a token or some dumb poo poo.

There actually is something like that: SolarCoin. It's supposed to incentivize solar production by rewarding producers with a crypto coin that will have value to them... somehow?

My friend linked it to me, he says his brother has a solar setup with a compatible controller... but I just don't see how a third party not involved in the trade of the actual power could, or would want to, reward producers. I mean, I guess you can give even a gazillion of your own tokens if you feel like it, but why would it matter?

Just reminds me of https://fuelpay.io/

The site says that it's not Bitcoin, but some ~proprietary cryptocurrency~ that'll have value due to ??? and is "instantly" convertible to cash!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

There actually is something like that: SolarCoin. It's supposed to incentivize solar production by rewarding producers with a crypto coin that will have value to them... somehow?

My friend linked it to me, he says his brother has a solar setup with a compatible controller... but I just don't see how a third party not involved in the trade of the actual power could, or would want to, reward producers. I mean, I guess you can give even a gazillion of your own tokens if you feel like it, but why would it matter?

The site says that it's not Bitcoin, but some ~proprietary cryptocurrency~ that'll have value due to ??? and is "instantly" convertible to cash!
There are a lot of coins whose premise is how cool it would be if you got paid for doing something you wanted to do anyway - make and look at memes, play video games, add solar power, etc - and somehow this coin will make it possible but it's never explained who's paying you to make memes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Power generation privatization is famously scorched earth and you often legally need a middle man to sell back to the grid so tokens for solar power is maybe the least insane option to use tokens to get around dumb bullshit if your local grid leans toward pure insanity but a clever reader might see that between the lines the actual solution is to nationalize the grid so everyone selling into it is on equal footing.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

There are a lot of coins whose premise is how cool it would be if you got paid for doing something you wanted to do anyway - make and look at memes, play video games, add solar power, etc - and somehow this coin will make it possible but it's never explained who's paying you to make memes.
Obviously my memes will be such high quality that people will pay to upvote them on reddit. No one can copy my meme because it is secured with blockchain and math. Screenshotting my meme to bootleg it will be a capital offense and men with guns will come to your house if you try.

Pretty much how all those token schemes work.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

CampingCarl posted:

Obviously my memes will be such high quality that people will pay to upvote them on reddit. No one can copy my meme because it is secured with blockchain and math. Screenshotting my meme to bootleg it will be a capital offense and men with guns will come to your house if you try.

Pretty much how all those token schemes work.

What if I like to poo poo through holes in hammocks

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

PathAsc posted:

What if I like to poo poo through holes in hammocks
That is called mining.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

At a fundamental level, that is probably the best description of bitcoin anyone will ever give. Yet, the truth is so much stupider even than that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still say bitcoiners fall for scams so eagerly for the same reason retirees send all their money to Nigerian princes; they ultimately just want something to acknowledge their existence.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Excellent, some classic TA to laugh at in the morning.

I thought it was a joke post at first before I saw who posted it.

Do you really believe "Bullish Pennants" are a real thing?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lmao classic

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is like astrology for nerds

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ahh yes, my favorite technical analysis: cross your fingers and hope for a bubble.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

I'd argue that redlining your car 24/7 would be more apt.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

xtal posted:

This is like astrology for nerds
Especially in that they are intended to be vague so that it can apply anywhere you look. I'm sure you could zoom in any part of that graph and fit whatever TA you wanted.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

DeFi is a leading indicator and it's currently going parabolic. Are you ready for another year of seething rage, Nocoiners? Why are you such masochists?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How many USD locked do you need for multiball? This pinball table seems like a scam.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fins posted:

I'd argue that redlining your car 24/7 would be more apt.

another analogy is a lottery draw where anyone can put their name in as many times as they want

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Do the technical analysis people ever, like, check the next day to see if they were right? You’re making all these provable claims all the time - if the price goes down or stays the same for the next day, will you notice that you were wrong? Will that make you think about how you’re just drawing fake lines on a graph of other (marginally less fake) lines?

No, right?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Ah no I see, I see the x axis labels down there, we have to wait until 2025 to tell you you’re a moron. We’ll all have forgotten (and so will you, if you’re wrong), but if by absolute chance you are right, you will be very proud.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

Ah no I see, I see the x axis labels down there, we have to wait until 2025 to tell you you’re a moron. We’ll all have forgotten (and so will you, if you’re wrong), but if by absolute chance you are right, you will be very proud.

Wtf are you talking about? The breakout happened, it's a completed pattern. We can confirm this right now, in July 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ghosTTy posted:

Wtf are you talking about? The breakout happened, it's a completed pattern. We can confirm this right now, in July 2020

Shaddup you dork, also everyone look at the y axis and laugh more at the clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

ghosTTy posted:

Jesus that’s so much dumber than I thought, I am in awe. I assume this is an ongoing bit, because it is incomprehensible to me that someone who thought this way could tie their shoes and pour a bowl of cereal in the morning.

The pattern ends with a spike higher than the highest point during the pennant, which didn’t happen. Even without that, the chart doesn’t match the pattern - in mid 2020 there’s a trough that’s deeper than the one that precedes it, which the pennant doesn’t allow for.

Also the patterns are fake and meaningless, but if you’re going to believe in divination you owe it to your fans at least read the entrails sensibly