Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i keep him alive because I hate him. he just wants to die and not have to put up with anymore idiots like cailan or alistair, so I sentence him to drink poison and hang out with hawke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you really hate Logahin, too bad you can't keep him alive long enough to watch his daughter get imprisoned. Keeping Loghain alive means Anora becomes queen, whether or not she does it alone.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i keep him alive because I hate him. he just wants to die and not have to put up with anymore idiots like cailan or alistair, so I sentence him to drink poison and hang out with hawke

it's fun to force him to stay alive through every opportunity for him to die

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

imo all the joinings should have a random chance of resulting in death so there's a possibility that loghain dies anyway and alistair threw a fit and left to become a drunk for nothing. also a chance the game ends in the first half hour

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Shugojin posted:

it's fun to force him to stay alive through every opportunity for him to die

Same. Looking forward to dragging Loghain through some maps in DA 4

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Morrigan and Isabela still remain as the only returning Origins characters that are guaranteed to survive past Inquisition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Morrigan and Isabela still remain as the only returning Origins characters that are guaranteed to survive past Inquisition.

Even if Leliana is a Lyrium ghost I think she still says something in her epilogue that implies she’ll come back

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ApplesandOranges posted:

How can Varric die?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eimi posted:

How can Varric die?

He's not from origins.

on a related yet opposite note: have the sequels caused anyone to usurp Wynn as the most killable party member? The game gives you 3 or 4 chances to off her.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

He's not from origins.

on a related yet opposite note: have the sequels caused anyone to usurp Wynn as the most killable party member? The game gives you 3 or 4 chances to off her.

On my first Origins playthrough I killd Wynn on the spot and had no idea she was meant to be recruitable. Cleanse with fire and all that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FoolyCharged posted:

He's not from origins.

You have three chances to kill Loghain (Landsmeet, Sacrifice, Inquisition). I think that's it, not counting 'fake' deaths like how Anders can 'die' in Awakening.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

I liked Loghain. I always induct him into the Wardens because the level of loyalty he inspires from his soldiers is fantastic and his battlefield experience is incredible. I'm not gonna let Loghain go to waste just because Alistair can't let a few minor kerfuffles go. What a drama llama.

Alistair is (or was) not a very good Warden. His quixotic view of the order was always at odds with their bone-deep pragmatism. If Duncan were alive to make the choice, he would have snapped up Loghain without a second thought.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, Loghain didn't directly kill Cailan, but the Dwarven Noble can directly kill the heir to the Dwarven throne, so yeah Duncan has no qualms.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don’t get all this love for Loghain, he is an evil nationalist bastard who would let his country burn just to spite orlais. I chopped his head of with no second though and put my pal Alistair on the throne.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

I don’t get all this love for Loghain, he is an evil nationalist bastard who would let his country burn just to spite orlais. I chopped his head of with no second though and put my pal Alistair on the throne.

Same. After how completely delusional he showed himself to be in Origins and what a complete failure he was at every point in that game I don't consider him a asset to the Wardens on the same level as Alistair.

Having the actual King of Fereldan as your warden-buddy is way better for the Wardens than some past-his-prime nutter. Plus for all of Alistairs faults, he is apparently a severely badass fighter. The dude beat Sten in a 1v1 in the comics.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't have any particular love for Loghain, but first playthrough I took every opportunity to recruit grey wardens/followers in Origins just so i could throw more troops into the meatgrinder. Was actually taken aback that Loghain agreed since most of the secondary/tertiary npcs I met before chose death by my hand instead of fighting the darkspawn. :commissar:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Alistair is (or was) not a very good Warden. His quixotic view of the order was always at odds with their bone-deep pragmatism. If Duncan were alive to make the choice, he would have snapped up Loghain without a second thought.

Alistair was like his brother - thought he was in a heroic fantasy narrative where the hero wears shining armor and virtue triumphs over Snidley Whiplash with his twirly villain moustache.

I agree Duncan would have resolved everything pretty well and sorted people out. That's why Duncan had to die ASAP and give the player character the opportunity to save the day instead (and/or murder everyone).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Alistair definitely does not think himself as the hero though, he's more than happy to be the follower unless you harden him. That's why he defers to you for every other decision despite seniority.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Logain has a better VA so he takes it

I definitely kill him in both human noble and city elf origins though considering he is either working with the guy who killed your family (and maybe helped him?) or he is literally selling your entire community into blood mage slavery for some dumb reason like he needs the money or something

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

Although if Duncan had made the choice Alistair would have probably gone along with it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He totally would have, because he had an even more rosy view of Duncan. Most of his hate was predicated on Loghain killing the man he idolized.

Avalerion posted:

Loghain was a monster, but taking in monsters and turning them against the Darkspawn is the Warden's whole remit. Letting him go to waste for the sake of mollifying Alistair is a bad deal. Feeding him to the Archdemon is a much more practical and poetic ending.

Alistair still gets to be king and marry the guy's daughter. He'll get over it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 21, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In some ways, being forced to be married to Anora is kind of a punishment in itself :v:

Maybe that's why Cailan happily went on his death march.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Putting Al on the throne was a no-brainer since my Warden romanced him, so she became queen. :cool:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Loghain's biggest problem is that he comes across as a saturday morning cartoon villain until the moment you put him in the party.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Vichan posted:

Loghain's biggest problem is that he comes across as a saturday morning cartoon villain until the moment you put him in the party.

Yeah, his camp conversations are some of best in the game and probably the series.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the warden's company huddled together in a corner at the landsmeet. wynne looks over at loghain, then on to alistair.

'well... we need a tank and we spent soooo much time gearing him up.'

'oui. ze templars may go too far in adrastes name, but zey have a nice skill tree.'

'fine... Al! fetch a block.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Luceo posted:

Putting Al on the throne was a no-brainer since my Warden romanced him, so she became queen. :cool:

I almost feel that was kind of a backhanded 'canon' DA:O playthrough. Queen and Warden-Commander of Ferelden. (Naturally then the Warden wanders off to scour the world for a cure for the Darkspawn Taint and is never seen again, but whatever.)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Can you actually become king/queen? I thought you were delegated to being prince/princess-consort even if Alistair or Anora are out of the picture.

The funniest configuration of this is a hardened Alistair marrying Anora and still sleeping with you on the side. There's even a drunk in DA2 who talks about how the queen cant be happy with the king's elven girlfriend or something like that.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Wolfsheim posted:

Can you actually become king/queen? I thought you were delegated to being prince/princess-consort even if Alistair or Anora are out of the picture.

I believe it is exclusive to female human noble characters- if you are a mage, elf, or dwarf, becoming queen would be too controversial (and so you keep your personal romance with Alistair a secret), but having the Cousland name gives you enough political clout to make it official.

I think the same goes for male human nobles with Anora, but I can't say for certain.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Male Cousland with Anora is still king-consort from what I remember.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think that's because it's Anora. Alistair is much happier to share the burden and the only reason Anora doesn't demote him to consort is because Alistair has a much more legitimate claim to the throne and it would get noticed, while the Male Noble is 'just' a noble house?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

In some ways, being forced to be married to Anora is kind of a punishment in itself :v:

Maybe that's why Cailan happily went on his death march.

She's definitely frustrating. I usually have Alistair marry her since it seems like the best solution but man if it isn't tempting to tell her to gently caress off and just let Alistair be king.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think that's because it's Anora. Alistair is much happier to share the burden and the only reason Anora doesn't demote him to consort is because Alistair has a much more legitimate claim to the throne and it would get noticed, while the Male Noble is 'just' a noble house?
It's because Alistair is an useless chickenshit and will gladly dump responsibility onto the Warden PC. He followed the Warden PC like a puppy through the whole game, despite being the senior surviving Warden. Why would that dynamic change?
Anora actually has a spine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think Alistair is the reason the Human Noble Male doesn't get to become king if they marry Anora, though.

Heck, half of Anora's argument if she marries Alistair is for them to be given equal power since she does not want a repeat of the Cailan situation. But then if she marries the Warden, nah, I'm queen now, you're consort.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I usually think that having Anora be queen whether married to Alistair or otherwise is the best call because she does seem to be a competent ruler. But something to consider is that she may actually be barren given she didn't conceive after 5 years of being married to Cailan. I don't think theres been any word on a Fereldan heir even though she'd have been queen for 20 years by the time of Inquisition, though Alistair by himself doesn't make an heir either I guess.

Succession wars are serious loving business and both her and Alistair are the last members of their families, unless you had him knock up Morrigan of course. Now THAT would be a funny twist.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nephthys posted:

But something to consider is that she may actually be barren given she didn't conceive after 5 years of being married to Cailan.
Cailan could just as easily have been infertile though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raygereio posted:

Cailan could just as easily have been infertile though.

Regardless we know Alistair and the Warden are both infertile so the only way to possibly avoid a succession crisis is to have Anora rule solo (and marry someone else).

Or have someone else secretly knock her up

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zore posted:

Regardless we know Alistair and the Warden are both infertile so the only way to possibly avoid a succession crisis is to have Anora rule solo (and marry someone else).

Or have someone else secretly knock her up

Alistair has to be fertile because of the demon child with Morrigan. That or, magic exists to make infertility not matter in Thedas.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Eimi posted:

Alistair has to be fertile because of the demon child with Morrigan. That or, magic exists to make infertility not matter in Thedas.

All wardens are infertile, it is mentioned multiple times. Morrigan uses dark magic to counter act it in this particular case. Who knows how hard that dark magic is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

KittyEmpress posted:

All wardens are infertile, it is mentioned multiple times. Morrigan uses dark magic to counter act it in this particular case. Who knows how hard that dark magic is.

quite hard given the acts involved :pervert: