Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Look for 125-150cc 4-strokes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Diabeesting posted:

I'm looking to join the gay brigade

Um excuse me it’s the Scooter Brigayde :colbert:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Coydog posted:

That's because ruckus owners, like Grom owners, are manchild idiots.

You want something like a zuma for a good scoot in that price range. Or much less if you are looking for something slow like a ruck.
lmao it's true. Get a zuma. I have the manchild disease that attracts me to ruckuses but a used zuma is the way to go if you don't.

I'd argue against categorising the grom under that umbrella though. The grom is fun as hell to zoom through the city with.

And to be fair, I used to take my old ruckus to the river to go fishing. Show me another scooter with fishing pole carrying capability :colbert:

Albeit, the brakes would get filled with mud ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 8, 2020

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The good 2t 50s can be modded for moderate cost to do interstate speeds. And in stock form will do 10k+ miles. But not both at the same time. The Ruckus was named after the noise heard around your place of employment when you show up 30 minutes late because the thing you were riding was so goddamn slow.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I'm not sure why honda doesn't get it over with and put a 150cc engine in it. Or poo poo, even something like the 80cc elite. Maybe it's just too popular with alcoholics.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CheddarGoblin posted:

Look for 125-150cc 4-strokes as well.

Just be aware that this generally steps you into "actually requires a motorcycle/driving license/insurace/etc" in most states. Those laws are why 50cc scooters all tend to be a bit overpriced, and 125-150cc scooters can be the best value.

Ruckuses are way overpriced unless you're 100% attached to that style. Metropolitans are similar mechanically but also too expensive. Both are incredibly slow. Get a 2t 50cc like everyone says, from Yamaha or Genuine or maybe Kymco or Sym.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
drat I just remembered this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVfmJ1QBe40

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dudes livin that scooter life to the max

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Get a 2 stroke and a sport exhaust, change the rollers, rejet the carb and enjoy.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Sorry, what does 2t mean? I'm assuming 2stroke, but I'm new to all the terminology.
So if I'm understanding correctly, if I want a 2 stroke 50cc (I'm gonna end up taking a rider safety course just to be safe, but I'm not looking to get something in a motorcycle class... just yet.) it seems like the only new production 2 strokes are the Genuine Buddy and Roughhouse, or I get an older Zuma? Everyone else seems to have switched to 4 stroke.

My girlfriend just got a little electric stand up scooter delivered to my house today and that thing is already making me want to get this project off the ground even more, it's fun on a bun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2T comes from the German “Takt” meaning “cycle”

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Diabeesting posted:

Sorry, what does 2t mean? I'm assuming 2stroke, but I'm new to all the terminology.
So if I'm understanding correctly, if I want a 2 stroke 50cc (I'm gonna end up taking a rider safety course just to be safe, but I'm not looking to get something in a motorcycle class... just yet.) it seems like the only new production 2 strokes are the Genuine Buddy and Roughhouse, or I get an older Zuma? Everyone else seems to have switched to 4 stroke.

My girlfriend just got a little electric stand up scooter delivered to my house today and that thing is already making me want to get this project off the ground even more, it's fun on a bun

Kymco still makes a 2 stroke I think. Otherwise the genuine scooters are good. Or yeah an older Zuma ( 2011 was the last 2 stroke I think ).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are a couple 4t 50s which are respectably fast but they're pretty rare. Vespa S50 and maybe a Piaggio something?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Just be aware that this generally steps you into "actually requires a motorcycle/driving license/insurace/etc" in most states. Those laws are why 50cc scooters all tend to be a bit overpriced, and 125-150cc scooters can be the best value.

This is probably the only good reason not to get a bigger bike. I rode a modded 50cc scooter for years and I loved it, but it would have been even better on a bigger one.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

open24hours posted:

This is probably the only good reason not to get a bigger bike. I rode a modded 50cc scooter for years and I loved it, but it would have been even better on a bigger one.

The allure of 50cc in the city (this city at least...not sure about laws elsewhere) is you can park it on the sidewalk anywhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In Milwaukee you can park anything under 100cc on the sidewalk. It owns.

I constantly parked my elite 250 on the sidewalk because who’s gonna do something crazy like look at the badging on it?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

because who’s gonna do something crazy like look at the badging on it?

This is really the crux of it. Parking enforcement is probably paid too little to give enough of a poo poo to check. I've been parking my 300cc on sidewalks for years without catching poo poo over it, and that's in a city where it's only legal for 50ccs.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I'm keeping an eye on the local used scooter craigslist listings in case anything good comes up. I'm passingly familiar with how to inspect a motorcycle, but are there any particular checklists/concerns/trouble spots I'd want to keep in mind on a scooter?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, please don't let me start saving up like $5000 to import and title a Yamaha Tricity from the UK to the US D:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's so tragic that we don't get the cool scoots and low cc bikes here. Even things like the Yamaha xmax are few and far between.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

In my state, there is no difference between a 49cc scoot and a 1000cc sport bike, legally. It's part of the reason I got into bigger bikes. I wish I had the spare income to get a really cool scooter for use in the city, or I wish I could get off my rear end and renovate the Piaggio Fly 150 I have sitting and rusting.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Fly 150 sounds decent, it's pretty easy and cheap to fix up a scooter too, I'd say go for it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

After ten thousand years I finally bought a new scooter. It's a SYM Classic 125 (SYM Fiddle in the US). I really missed riding these things. The only downside with this one is that my helmet doesn't quite fit under the seat so I had to get the box, but it's pretty handy so I don't really mind.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grats on getting a new scoot. What were you on before? That thing looks like a blast to zip around on.

One of these years I'll get around to getting a scoot of my own. :sigh:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Thanks, I've got a Honda Chaly as well, but it's just too slow to be practical around here.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ugh, came outside my apartment today to find someone had I guess picked up my scooter out of its parking spot and thrown it in the grassy area (up the curb) to its left. Broke my mirror. Not sure if there is any other damage though.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Coydog posted:

That thing looks like a blast to zip around on.

It even looks sort of like a Piaggio Zip lol.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got an error code on my Elite 110. I've got the part required to clear the code (page 6-15 of the service manual) and I'm completing the process successfully - I get the rapid blink to indicate clearing the code. After I turn the engine off and back on, the code just comes back.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it an actual error that needs to get fixed? The scooter itself is running absolutely fine.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If an error code comes back after clearing it, then it's triggered by an actual problem. What is the error code for?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Best part is that it's not even a code in the service manual. Someone on reddit said it might be a crank fluctuation sensor error, or maybe an issue with the bank angle sensor. The bike's never been tipped over, especially not since I worked on it last year or so, and replacing the bank angle sensor is a big tear-down of the body panels to get at.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

God loving drat it, I misinterpreted the direction indicator on the front tire I mounted on my scoot today. loving 4 hour struggle session for nothing aaaaaaaagaghhhhh.

edit: suck my entire dick and balls michelin man fucker

edit 2: *bad french accent* hmm yess lets make the tire with a text that says FRONT and le arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the front of le moto cycele!! this is genias!!!

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh poo poo

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
But is it a scooter if it's not step-through?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Underbone Megathread 2: Is it just me, or are underbones REALLY AWESOME?

My biggest issue with the grom (aside from everything) was how sketchy and unstable it was in corners. I'd think those wheels would make it much more stable to zip around on.

It still has the terrible tiny gas tank and nonexistent power. I still want one, if they weren't :lol: msrp

edit: it's only 4k msrp. That's not terrible, honestly.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Phone posted:

oh poo poo

It's not a scooter but it looks p sweet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not a scooter, but I might buy one in the spring.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is there something about scooters that makes them better for the city, besides their small size? In particular going on short rides, like under 2 miles / 20 minutes?

My motorcycle is parked a few blocks away and I am under the impression short rides aren’t good for it anyway.

I was thinking of getting a scooter because I can probably fit it behind my car and want something I can ride for a quick errand or into the office.

Are these just flimsy excuses and I’ll be having battery issues constantly anyway?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Toe Rag posted:

Is there something about scooters that makes them better for the city, besides their small size? In particular going on short rides, like under 2 miles / 20 minutes?

My motorcycle is parked a few blocks away and I am under the impression short rides aren’t good for it anyway.

I was thinking of getting a scooter because I can probably fit it behind my car and want something I can ride for a quick errand or into the office.

Are these just flimsy excuses and I’ll be having battery issues constantly anyway?

LiFePO batteries charge a lot faster. They’re a ton more expensive but this is one of the few times I think they’re a better choice.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

Being able to park just about anywhere is a serious plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Milwaukee, for example has a rule that anything under 100cc can be sidewalk parked.

There are tons of advantages to scooters and small bikes