Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

the inability of anyone to find a serious ughyur genocide commentator who isnt either a religious extremist or a literal war crimes collaborator should maybe clue you in to how this issue isnt anywhere near as cut and dried as you think it is

its not like the state department hasnt been looking i mean poo poo i source all my ughyur related tweets from china watcher twitter this is the crap they signal boost to each other because theyve already predecided its super convincing i look at it because im hoping someone will eventually present some kind of persuasive argument but its been months now and its just not happening

The champion the China watchers have chosen being extremely bad isn’t evidence in favor of China being somehow virtuous. Sure, I think China has the right to defend its people against this kind of menace, just the part about looking up to the zionist project sends chills up my spine. It sounds like a vision of inviting in turkic people and islamist statebuilders to be able to drive the non-muslims (and wrong muslims) of the region into margins. But I’d call China’s approach to defending itself straight-up fascist any time of the day if that didn’t play into the lies about Nazi style concentration camps and population replacement strategies. It’s an extreme police state in the style of the USA: ruled by an oligarchy, uses extralegal police terrorism against dissent, has a vast system of ethnic political imprisonment that breaks up families and railroads people’s lives so that others can make a buck. It just lacks the white supremacy aspect that designates some lives as worthless and incapable of developing beyond a certain point.

uncop has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

the inability of anyone to find a serious ughyur genocide commentator who isnt either a religious extremist or a literal war crimes collaborator should maybe clue you in to how this issue isnt anywhere near as cut and dried as you think it is

its not like the state department hasnt been looking i mean poo poo i source all my ughyur related tweets from china watcher twitter this is the crap they signal boost to each other because theyve already predecided its super convincing i look at it because im hoping someone will eventually present some kind of persuasive argument but its been months now and its just not happening

Well here's a testimonial from Mihrigul Tursun who says she was sterilized in an interment camp and hey it's here in convenient manga form:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/756513/1

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Jul 22, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

the anime version had way more beheadings

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Also you can find the primary CCP documents outlined how the camps should be run and even in propaganda speak they're not great:

https://www.scribd.com/document/436167661/China-Cables-Day-One-main-doc-and-translation
[quote=Autonomous Region State Organ Telegram
Telegram Issuing Unit: Autonomous Region Party Political and Legal Affairs Commission
Signed and approved by: Zhu Hailun
Level: Special Secrecy level: Confidential New Party Politics and Law (2017) No. 419 New Secret No. 5656]
2. Prevent escapes. Adhere to zone separation and individual unit management, and
improve the installation of police stations at front gates, security guard duty rooms, high guard
posts, security guard posts and patrol routes, etc., perfect peripheral isolation, internal
separation, protective defenses, safe passageways and other facilities and equipment, and
ensure that security instruments, security equipment, video surveillance, one-button alarms
and other such devices are in place and functioning. Have a strict security check system on
personnel, vehicles, and goods entering and exiting, and strictly control the entry of vehicles.
For vehicles that need to be parked, the front of the vehicle has to be pointed inwards, and it
has to be locked from people. Strictly manage door locks and keys - dormitory doors, corridor
doors and floor doors must be double locked, and must be locked immediately after being
opened and closed. Strictly manage and control student activities to prevent escapes during
class, eating periods, toilet breaks, bath time, medical treatment, family visits, etc. Strictly
manage students requesting time off, if they really need to leave the training center due to
illness or other special circumstances, they must have someone specially accompany, monitor
and control them.

3. Prevent trouble. Implement inspection systems for key personnel, key parts, key time
periods, and key items, discover and dispose of behavioral violations and abnormal situations in
classrooms, dormitories and other areas in a timely manner, and evaluate and resolve students'
ideological problems and abnormal emotions at all times. Roll out secret forces and bring
information officers into play to prevent people from joining forces to cause trouble. Students
are not allowed to participate in labor outside class, and may not contact the outside world
apart from during prescribed activities. It is strictly forbidden for the students to have their own
cellphones or for staff to hand over cellphones to students, so as to prevent the staff from
interacting with students and collusion between inside and outside. There must be full video
surveillance coverage of dormitories and classrooms free of blind spots, ensuring that guards
on duty can monitor in real time, record things in detail, and report suspicious circumstances
immediately.
[/quote]

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

Well here's a testimonial from Mihrigul Tursun who says she was sterilized in an interment camp and hey it's here in convenient manga form:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/756513/1

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You are 90% pregnant.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

Im genuinely interested if US schools are surrounded by barbed wire fences and have huge signs saying "English only" at the entrance to the campus

America is not a good measuring stick of social justice, you should just judge everything from a universal ideal imo b/c anything else justifies or makes light of some injustice

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sum posted:

Alaska has been part of the US longer than Xinjiang has been a province of China. F minus see me after class

xinjiang isn't a province it's an autonomous region, so your technicality doesn't even work

the land of xinjiang has been part of some chinese state for like 2000 years, way longer than Uyghurs have lived there so idk why you'd want to make an argument from this perspective

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

uncop posted:

The champion the China watchers have chosen being extremely bad isn’t evidence in favor of China being somehow virtuous. Sure, I think China has the right to defend its people against this kind of menace, just the part about looking up to the zionist project sends chills up my spine. It sounds like a vision of inviting in turkic people and islamist statebuilders to be able to drive the non-muslims (and wrong muslims) of the region into margins. But I’d call China’s approach to defending itself straight-up fascist any time of the day if that didn’t play into the lies about Nazi style concentration camps and population replacement strategies. It’s an extreme police state in the style of the USA: ruled by an oligarchy, uses extralegal police terrorism against dissent, has a vast system of ethnic political imprisonment that breaks up families and railroads people’s lives so that others can make a buck. It just lacks the white supremacy aspect that designates some lives as worthless and incapable of developing beyond a certain point.

Would you care to define Fascism in material, rather than moralistic terms?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReutersChina/status/1285056562084470785?p=v

weird how i mined this particular content from a non china reporter and didnt get it from my sweep of china watcher twitter earlier this morning

why its almost as if theyre capitalist lackies whose concern over chinese human rights violations is just cynical concern trolling

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

uncop posted:

Missed this somehow. I kinda understood this is how it is, but holy poo poo it's hosed up not to try to find a kid's relatives just so they can be put into some loving patriotic indoctrination camp where normal rights don't apply. Best case scenario, it's a limited amount of basically hostages (come back and play nice, or lose your kid), but who knows. I'd have chosen my words differently if I had read it.

The worst thing about this thread is that it makes me do the equivalent of "actually it's ephebophilia" for politics, lawyer the specifics of what would be a proportional response. I wish rebels that weren't absolute bottom of the barrel would appear on the scene so that a less cursed discourse could begin.

Show me the major contemporary or historical bourgeois liberal state to which you would counterpose "fascist" China. Certainly the New Deal USA can't be any less fascist. None of the European imperial powers can claim any moral superiority, which seems to be your criteria. If China is fascist, what significant power was ever not? If they were all fascist, isn't it more misleading than informative, how ever revisionist you think the PRC might be, to call it fascist without noting that that charge, in your own peculiar usage, has no specific meaning?

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Jul 22, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

I think this was posted earlier in the thread.

Hell, I think it may have been you yourself:

https://twitter.com/daikonzine/status/1275352898692620289

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's happening

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1285831071129427968

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Jul 22, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think this was posted earlier in the thread.

Hell, I think it may have been you yourself:

https://twitter.com/daikonzine/status/1275352898692620289

yeah that was me but no one bit so we didnt talk about it this part was what i thought was the most interesting

quote:

Increasingly, there were mentions of what was happening to Uyghurs and Muslim minorities in “Xinjiang” — but mostly for the purpose of contributing to a larger narrative meant to reiterate negative, sensationalist, xenophobic, psychocultural perceptions about China as an economic threat to the United States (and “the West”) in the midst of Trump’s trade war. Nothing was done to uplift the voices of communities calling attention to ongoing state violence. Instead, our suffering was tokenized for an imperialist prerogative. After Trump’s meeting, we began to see an increase in support for lobbying efforts calling for punitive sanctions against China in retaliation for the mass detention of Muslims, most visibly of Uyghurs.

which probably explains why this particular commenter isnt that well known

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Why the Houston consulate in particular?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Why do they have a consulate in Houston anyway? You'd figure it would be in like, Seattle, or Honolulu. I mean I guess Houston has a big Chinese population to justify it I guess?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Forceholy posted:

lets trump show off his xenophobic credentials without actually affecting anything

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Grapplejack posted:

Why do they have a consulate in Houston anyway? You'd figure it would be in like, Seattle, or Honolulu. I mean I guess Houston has a big Chinese population to justify it I guess?

He could do Chicago as well.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

condemn this thread to D&D

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Victory Position posted:

condemn this thread to D&D

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
lmao gently caress off this is just about to become a place to blow off steam about skyrocketing tensions everybody pull the sticks out of your asses and enjoy the existential dread

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao the author is a comfort women denier and thinks Ainu and Okinawans are a North Korean plot to sow chaos in Japan

https://twitter.com/swim_shu/status/681455634856853504
https://twitter.com/swim_shu/status/761192142085566464
https://twitter.com/swim_shu/status/1157088348701220864
https://twitter.com/swim_shu/status/1147282785897291782
https://twitter.com/swim_shu/status/1156825656333754368

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FT has a headline up that says China condemns the move, but I don’t have a subscription

https://www.ft.com/content/cd8472e9-75fc-4f68-b377-f186a8e8c12f

imo there’s enough serious poo poo happening that there should be a china thread without the china whataboutism

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

were there any rules against speaking other languages because those are quite common with foreign language schools and international schools albeit with varying degrees of enforcement generally speaking its a pedagogical standard as the common understanding is that foreign languages need to be taught by immersion and bilingual education doesnt work

The article mentions the name of this school, 伽师县第四中學. It's a language school, I looked it up and they also teach english there.

The photo makes the school look really scary, here's another photo this one of the main building where you can see it's just another chinese school

If you search the school name you also see blogs from teachers who work there and it looks like videos of kids dancing to Turkic music and whatever, and you can see videos from other schools in the town where people are speaking a Turkic language at school (albiet from 2015), and then I found this

http://www.xjjsx.gov.cn/Item/19296.aspx

Where I guess the school had a 'collective birthday' for all the ‘distressed' students, seems nice but then the principle says

"大家特别希望和父母在一起过生日,这对于大多数的孩子来说,是很平常的事。但对于你们,父母不在身边,为了让你们感受到和父母一样的关爱,学校特意为你们集体过个生日,祝你们生日快乐,早日成才。"

Everyone especially wishes to have their birthday alongside their parents, for most children it's nothing extraordinary. But for you all, whose parents are not at your side, in order to make you feel the love like that of your parents, the school celebrates a special collective birthday, wishing you a happy birthday and early success in life.

grain of salt and all but I'm still probably more accurate than bellingcat

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

consulates serve wide areas. in 2017-2018 when russia and the US did the same dance and they both closed a bunch of consulates it kinda hosed over people on the west coast.

china has 5 consulates in the US: LA, NYC, SF, Chicago and Houston.

Houston is the geographically closest consulate for a pretty wide area of the US given their distribution. SF, LA, NYC and Chicago are probably more important overall for other reasons since those are all super important economic centers, so on a macro level Houston is probably least important, but will gently caress over anyone who now has to think about going to chicago or LA i guess???

sincx posted:

My guess is that the State Department is going to close the least useful consulate (Shenyang?) due to lack of staff, and in retaliation is forcing China to close its least useful consulate (Houston).

shenyang is right next to north korea. chengdu serves a huge area including xinjiang and tibet. Guangzhou or shanghai would be the wild options, akin to closing NYC or SF in the US.

wuhan is probably the "least important" as it's not even officially done yet. their website says plans to open fully in 2020, but do still offer some services. wuhan also wouldn't inconvenience anyone to the level houston's closing would in the states since the other 4 + beijing are pretty evenly distributed around the country comparatively.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

sincx posted:

Total speculation:

China has 1 embassy and 5 consulates in the US, and the US has 1 embassy and 5 consulates in China (plus a consulate in HK).

The list for China is:
Washington, D.C. (Embassy)
Chicago (Consulate-General)
Houston (Consulate-General)
Los Angeles (Consulate-General)
New York City (Consulate-General)
San Francisco (Consulate-General)

The list for the US is:
Beijing (Embassy)
Chengdu (Consulate General)
Guangzhou (Consulate General)
Shanghai (Consulate General)
Shenyang (Consulate General)
Wuhan (Consulate General)
Hong Kong (Consulate General)

The US had been complaining that China is insisting on testing incoming diplomatic staff for corona-chan, tests that the State Department has been refusing to take due to fear that China is collecting a DNA profile of US staff.

My guess is that the State Department is going to close the least useful consulate (Shenyang?) due to lack of staff, and in retaliation is forcing China to close its least useful consulate (Houston).

I heard US have problem reopening the Wuhan one.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
get out from where tho? hk where u will be arrested for separatism? the us where u will be target for mob ~justice~?
https://twitter.com/goldencaskcap/status/1285834917226508291

btw this dude wasn't on my radar much cuz weeb japanese nationalists r a dime a dozen but dude just managed to clown on himself big time

https://twitter.com/Hezbolsonaro/status/1285760348683767808

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All these anti-China "baseball fight posturing" are all pre-election specials.

Somebody think Trump will actually remove Hong Kong's separate trade zone status. I just don't think Trump will do anything that will hurt the money bottom line because he doesn't think "it's a good deal". I do expect Trump will do everything else diplomatically to "maximum pressure" China because the orange turd think there is no consequence to diplomatic pushing and yelling.

With three months remaining before the general election I predict these things will happen:

* a couple more HK human right related laws passed

* a couple more Uyghers related acts signed

* 1 or 2 more batches of Chinese companies put on the sanction list

* a "CCP members getting sanction" kind of executive order signed. Since that CCP US visa ban is bullshit so expect a scaled back version

* some kind of Chinese official branch in the US getting into trouble, it may be semi-offical NGO like the Confucius institute. Beijing always treat these gestures very seriously, so expect a swift direct and equal response inside China.

* Also UK will pass a couple "lets treat HKers better" laws since Boris Johnson has recently dumped Huawei and fully sign on Team America. Ditto to whatshisname in Australia

All these plays will spaced out to around one news item a week to keep the fire burning before the election, honestly these news are not that big in the news cycle when you have done it before and come back for an encore. I think Trump must have something more damaging in the bag. There has been talk of Trump holding back a dirty item against Biden, some kind of "Failson Biden getting cozy with the Ghinessse" angle. I am surprised it hasn't made the news yet. I think Trump better play it now if he actually have it up his sleeve.

In term of China response I think Xi the Pooh can do a lot of thing but Beijing is not doing them. Like for example actually sanctioning US companies that do business in China (Qualcomm etc) instead of sanctioning Lockheen Martin. Or actually put out a rare earth ban. I don't want to spend too much time to speculate on Beijing actions so my only prediction is the HK Sep election will be delayed. What I am saying is Beijing is putting the money on Biden winning and the Sino-US relationship has a chance to reconcile next year.

And we all know Trump polling number has been pretty bad recently. If the Trump number is still terrible come Sep/Oct I wouldn't be surprise if Trump throw a hail mary. What is a hail mary you ask? I wouldn't be surprised if Trump bomb the military structures on the SCS man made islands. Something like this place. I can't follow all these different reefs in SCS but if US want to do something militarily, I would put money on one of the rocks inside Philippine's claim.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Jul 22, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Trump's rebooted Voice of America is going to hire that fan of Japanese fascism to be the lead East Asia correspondent.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
dang there’s a lot going on!!

we really are lucky that tino is here to explain to us what’s happening

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Atrocious Joe posted:

Trump's rebooted Voice of America is going to hire that fan of Japanese fascism to be the lead East Asia correspondent.

finally a correspondent his voting base can relate to

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

houston is a regional hub for consulates, not just china. not sure how it developed that way but my guess is that it's due to houston's status as a center for the global oil industry

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

houston is a regional hub for consulates, not just china. not sure how it developed that way but my guess is that it's due to houston's status as a center for the global oil industry

it’s the 4th most populous city in the us and pretty far from the other big cities, kind of a no brainer once you cover the coasts

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

uh, Houston is the fourth most populous city in the United States behind New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago

it has about double the amount of Chinese people than Seattle does? Houston and Honolulu have about the same Chinese population - tbh it would make much more sense to have one in Honolulu - Seattle would be bizarre

The Great Autismo! has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Jul 22, 2020

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
lol wtf Houston is like 3 times the size of Seattle why would there be a consulate in Seattle and not Houston

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

lol wtf Houston is like 3 times the size of Seattle why would there be a consulate in Seattle and not Houston

its the megacorporate hub of the west coast, chummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I just assumed there's be one there because of the immigrant population tbh.