Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’d you are not one of the powers or rich boys who approach me often about skylines just why if you want a dumb fun kei get a legal one. You can even buy 96 now if you pay a few hundred storage. I’ve got a Surf tied up min customs that is legal at the easiest port in USA. F doing anything else. It’s been a week and my Surf isnt cleared yet 2 others are but it’s legal who gives a poo poo. Don’t import something under 25 or actually so I am saying this as a counselor I would love to see you get whatever

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/video-gallery/video-library/cbp-destroys-land-rover-defender

Also a c&d article I have been subscribed since I was 15 with a decade
Long stretch of not. I only get it now bc it is so easy to find free subscription offers. I have a feeling any of the writers are tiny frail humans who don’t own anything besides a Home Depot “take care of your house” pre packaged tool kit

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15370884/exclusive-feds-declare-war-on-black-market-land-rover-defenders/

everdave fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Midjack posted:

Not that it’s worth it for something silly like a Beat or Acty, but if you had some sort of crazy unicorn that was titled off-road could you export it to Canada and re-import it the right way if it passed the 25 year threshold? I imagine you can get away with this once or twice before the feds come down on you for laundering imports.

Sure, but you'd have to sneak it out of the country and then whip up whatever paperwork Canada gives you to export a vehicle with so US Customs can go 'Ah I see, from Canada!'. You wouldn't legally export it through Customs. You'd slide it out and then act like when it was coming into the USA for the second time that it was the first time.

Midjack posted:

Yes I said it's not worth it for dumb cheap stuff that's in plentiful supply and also if you get caught exporting and re-importing the same car you probably get the eye of federal Sauron on you in short order. I was more curious if Customs keeps records of vehicles and the status at first import is the status of that particular VIN forever, or if they determine status of the vehicle at the time of import regardless of history. There would have to be something really worth your while to go to the hassle in any case; some one-off oddball that was brought in as a museum piece and for some reason you wanted to put it on the road after 20 years of being in a display case. I'm sure someone has probably already found the answer to that question the hard way in any event.

Oh man.

A vast majority of the time as long as your paperwork says all the correct stuff it's assumed the vehicle is correct too. I doubt that the vehicles get physically more than the most casual of glances, with some getting pulled for a deeper audit.
There might be a VIN database because that's easy, but I very much doubt anyone in the system actually gives a poo poo nationally. Some ports are hard asses (like Tacoma as was already mentioned elsewhere in the thread) but otherwise its more like a big security camera system with a single stoner watching the real time screens. If you get caught though oh lordy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

No no do not give this advice FB is full of illegally imported poo poo. Just get something legal. Do not buy with “import paperwork”. Get a title. They went around and crushed all those defenders.
I think they seized them, and later had to return them, if it's the case I'm thinking of, but that is a very pertinent example of the "well we say we're right, so gently caress you" aspect of dealing with the authorities. The people involved in that were probably very lucky that the US venn diagram for "Land Rover Ownership" and "Know, Employ, Or Are Lawyers" is what it is.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
They crushed a lot of defenders.

I currently have a completely legal Surf held by customs for nearly a week the other two cleared fine and are ready for pickup.

I sure wouldn’t bother to try to sneak a non 25 year old kei in its not worth the trouble.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

They crushed a lot of defenders.
Mm, I was thinking of the specific case where they hosed up interpreting chassis numbers

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Mm, I was thinking of the specific case where they hosed up interpreting chassis numbers

I don’t doubt that happened but the crushening was a real thing where people were sneaking them in.
To prove a point they went around and got them, even when they were on their second non importer owners

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

I don’t doubt that happened but the crushening was a real thing where people were sneaking them in.
To prove a point they went around and got them, even when they were on their second non importer owners
https://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2015/06/03/homeland-security-to-return-seized-land-rover-defenders-to-u-s-buyers

That's the case I was referencing. The "settled out of court" aspect likely involves a big chunk of "we can't admit we dont know as much as we think we do about LR chassis numbering".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Delivery day!

1994 Toyota Hilux. Single cab, long bed. NA Diesel 2.8 liter 3L (name not displacement) engine, mechanical injection, 5 speed manual transmission. 4x4 and fully manual transfer case. Vinyl bench seat, roll up windows, no carpet anywhere, great air conditioning. Didn't check but I'm pretty sure that's an AM radio. 110,000 km so around about 68,500 miles. Writing on either door is for http://www.seimoh.com/, construction company and is hand painted. Truck itself was originally purchased north east of Tokyo based on the 'GUNMA TOYOTA' tag on the lower right on the back. In remarkably good shape for being a commercial vehicle. Fantastic mechanical condition, a ton of maintenance was done just before we bought it, shaken would have been valid for an entire year. Not a spec of corrosion anywhere. Scrapes and dings but the color is :discourse:
That ring of Mitsubishi keys were hung off the back of the seat behind the driver. I can imagine someone going "hey where are the Mitsubishi keys?" long after the truck went to auction. Now I have them half a world away.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

KakerMix posted:

That ring of Mitsubishi keys were hung off the back of the seat behind the driver. I can imagine someone going "hey where are the Mitsubishi keys?" long after the truck went to auction. Now I have them half a world away.

Well, you also have their phone number so

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That looks really straight, I don't think I've seen a 2dr Hilux of that age that isn't battered to hell.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

What an awesome truck! Nice find man

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

That Hilux is loving beautiful. There's basically zero chance of getting it registered in California, right? Don't give me hope.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Delivery day!

1994 Toyota Hilux. Single cab, long bed. NA Diesel 2.8 liter 3L (name not displacement) engine, mechanical injection, 5 speed manual transmission. 4x4 and fully manual transfer case. Vinyl bench seat, roll up windows, no carpet anywhere, great air conditioning. Didn't check but I'm pretty sure that's an AM radio. 110,000 km so around about 68,500 miles. Writing on either door is for http://www.seimoh.com/, construction company and is hand painted. Truck itself was originally purchased north east of Tokyo based on the 'GUNMA TOYOTA' tag on the lower right on the back. In remarkably good shape for being a commercial vehicle. Fantastic mechanical condition, a ton of maintenance was done just before we bought it, shaken would have been valid for an entire year. Not a spec of corrosion anywhere. Scrapes and dings but the color is :discourse:

Was this for a customer or just saw it and snatched it up?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I like that Hilux a lot. And the kei pickups.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So Kaker and Everdave, if you’re saying it might be better to get an already imported kei truck if one isn’t looking to get in the selling biz, do you know any decent dealers in the northeast who are into that kind of thing? Mostly out of curiosity.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don't personally know of any that I can vouch for.

So I have a dual battery diesel HiLux Surf at port and it will crank but not starting? Any ideas? Could it be something with the dual batteries?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had a blown EFI fuse on my hiace with the 1kz if that's the engine you have.

Hope they didn't jumpstart that poo poo backwards again!

Other than that I don't know what it could be. Air in the fuel lines?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 15, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Writing on either door is for http://www.seimoh.com/, construction company and is hand painted. Truck itself was originally purchased north east of Tokyo based on the 'GUNMA TOYOTA' tag on the lower right on the back.

GOON MA

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Thanks everyone, wife and I like it a lot more than we expected to. Like the Land Cruisers there is some sort of quality to it that makes it immensely attractive to operate.

PlaneGuy posted:

Well, you also have their phone number so

Who says I want to give them back?

InitialDave posted:

That looks really straight, I don't think I've seen a 2dr Hilux of that age that isn't battered to hell.

Besides being construction dirty it's remarkably well-kept. I expect it to clean up extremely well.

Gangringo posted:

That Hilux is loving beautiful. There's basically zero chance of getting it registered in California, right? Don't give me hope.

I wouldn't know offhand, but there is some weirdness with diesels and California so maybe? If it was gasoline then I'd say flatly no.

The Electronaut posted:

Was this for a customer or just saw it and snatched it up?

Saw it and snatched it up. Because it's a single cab means the tax rate on it is 25% instead of the 2.5% like most everything else also. This one is kinda of a vehicle that until someone sees it they don't know they want it. Tomorrow I'm going to gut the inside and blow/wash it out which is going to be so goddamn easy. Unbolt the seat, pull out the big rubber mat, blow and wash (heh) and scrub the seat.

Snowy posted:

So Kaker and Everdave, if you're saying it might be better to get an already imported kei truck if one isn't looking to get in the selling biz, do you know any decent dealers in the northeast who are into that kind of thing? Mostly out of curiosity.

I just suggest ones already here because you can physically see them a lot easier than jumping in with some no-name to import one for you. I don't have anyone I could recommend though because I'd know about as much about them as you would. I'll certainly help you out if you want to buy one like we buy cars it's just the cost for RoRo means you will pay more than a container kei truck importer. Upside though is we'd be real sure what kind of truck you'd actually be getting.

everdave posted:

I don't personally know of any that I can vouch for.

So I have a dual battery diesel HiLux Surf at port and it will crank but not starting? Any ideas? Could it be something with the dual batteries?

Is it not an option to have it delivered to you even if it doesn't crank? Port should have big-rear end forklifts to lift any car that's not running onto your delivery guy's trailer. It's happened to me before. If it's cranking but not starting it might just simply be out of fuel, do you have pictures of the gauge cluster while at the port in Japan showing how much fuel was in the tank?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My driver from port should be here in the morning with the Homy and a giant HiAce camper. Customs just released the Surf yesterday so I should have plenty of time.

I’ll look and see if I can see the diesel level I’ll also have him check when he goes back to port. He said he can figure something out to get it in the truck but would much rather it be running.

I’ll update once I know more. Also sending my last skyline to a consignment dealer who has been pursuing it pretty hard, he thinks he can get it sold to someone as a project or a GTR clone candidate. I’m just sick of FB messages about skylines no more!

Edit: it was completely on E back in April, and they were going to charge me to tow it on the boat. After losing my mind that I would run into this situation when I had it inspected and it is supposedly perfect.

Would I be looking at possible tougher fix other than adding more diesel if you run one dry?

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 16, 2020

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yes, with a diesel if you run it dry you then have to bleed the system. There's usually bleeder screws on each injector but I'm not sure about on this engine.

Its not super complex to do but it's definitely not something the average person would know how to do either, especially on a vehicle never sold in this hemisphere.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I love my port driver but I’ll doubt he will know it’s probably let been ran dry. He is going back Monday probably and taking 5 gallons of diesel and c purple new batteries I had at the house just in case. I’ll message about the bleeding if anyone has a good link for a HiLux 3.0 turbo diesel please send my way.

Dropped two off today. HiAce space camper with 71k km and Caravan Homy turbo diesel with 11k miles.

Not goi g to lie I’m a bit overwhelmed I now have 3 enormous campers

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I love my port driver but I’ll doubt he will know it’s probably let been ran dry. He is going back Monday probably and taking 5 gallons of diesel and c purple new batteries I had at the house just in case. I’ll message about the bleeding if anyone has a good link for a HiLux 3.0 turbo diesel please send my way.

Dropped two off today. HiAce space camper with 71k km and Caravan Homy turbo diesel with 11k miles.

Your Hilux is the 2L-TE, not the 3 liter KZ just FYI

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
EDIT:

It sounds like for most of these diesels (kz and 2lte) there should be a black plunger on top of the fuel filter housing that you can pump until it gets hard to push, they say possibly prime it while someone turns it over if you're still having no luck.

In general, for bleeding the injectors, with a wrench you crack open each injector one at a time and turn the engine over until you get a decent amount of diesel spilling out, then close that injector and move on down the fuel rail (starting from the supply side, ending at the far side).

Getting conflicting info on how to bleed a 2lte specifically but it sounds like its similar for all toyota diesels of this era and it should be kinda apparent to a diesel mechanic when they look at it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 16, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Great looking campers but I'm not sure they qualify as enormous. How many cars do you currently have?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks for the info ww.

The gray and white hi Ace is 21’ long and about 10 feet tall. Also with a pop up canvas roof as well.

The caravan isn’t overwhelming but so far happy, air is working great, has the remote for rear air and the sunroofs.

For some reason the hi Ace is missing three fuses for glow plugs, rear heater and charge. But I was able to jump it ok to get it off transport today? Fuses no big deal but when I try to put appropriate fuses in they won’t stay in they don’t stick???? Wtf?

I’ve got it on the battery charger.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Jumping bean fuses 😬

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Hello friends today while remove the wheels to the Hilux pickup I found out something:

It's got a solid front axle. I didn't even know!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that a lamp on the left?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

Is that a lamp on the left?

Aftermarket lights yeah, you're just seeing one of them. There is another on the right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Interesting lens. My experience with putting them that low (on a sedan though) is they get smashed pretty easily.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Charles posted:

Interesting lens. My experience with putting them that low (on a sedan though) is they get smashed pretty easily.

It was a construction company truck I don’t think they cared. Probably just to serve a good use.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where to get a Buddy Club n+ rear shock for a 9th gen Civic Si? Mine is pretty greasy, so I reckon it’ll need a replacement, but I’m not trying to drop 1200 on four new coilovers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Could it be rebuilt?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Could it be rebuilt?

Possible, but I’m not trying to have the whip out of commission for a few weeks

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Beanzor posted:

Obligatory pictures (more on instagram @acty360 if you do that sort of thing)

I know I have seen your truck here! Small world.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

EDIT:

It sounds like for most of these diesels (kz and 2lte) there should be a black plunger on top of the fuel filter housing that you can pump until it gets hard to push, they say possibly prime it while someone turns it over if you're still having no luck.

In general, for bleeding the injectors, with a wrench you crack open each injector one at a time and turn the engine over until you get a decent amount of diesel spilling out, then close that injector and move on down the fuel rail (starting from the supply side, ending at the far side).

Getting conflicting info on how to bleed a 2lte specifically but it sounds like its similar for all toyota diesels of this era and it should be kinda apparent to a diesel mechanic when they look at it.

Yep, same for every toyota diesel before they went to common rail. they can be an absolute bastard to do too- On that 2L-TE motor, Injectors 1-3 are hiding under the cross over piping, on my 1HD-FTE, I cant get to numbers 4 and 5 for the same reason.

When i bought my half 1KZ surf from japan for the engine conversion in my Hilux, someone for SOME reason had unplugged the spill control valve on the injector pump. That was a fun one to diagnose.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Have any of you gone about importing like a moped or motorcycle? A few of us are possibly interested in trying to get our hands on some Honda Gyro Xs or some flavor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Gyro

I guess one of my biggest wonders is the shipping. Does it go in a container? Or would it be a roll on/roll off deal like a car?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

c355n4 posted:

Have any of you gone about importing like a moped or motorcycle? A few of us are possibly interested in trying to get our hands on some Honda Gyro Xs or some flavor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Gyro

I guess one of my biggest wonders is the shipping. Does it go in a container? Or would it be a roll on/roll off deal like a car?

It would be best to fill a container with them you can fit 7 kei trucks in a container so 25 bikes? Sell 24 you will have a free bike. This is the only logical answer and I will take no other responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

apparently Honda do still sell new Acty kei trucks over here, but yeah you see more ads on TV for the Suzukis.