Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Moneyball posted:

Yes, brigaded.

If memory serves, the first loving page was about ten years ago with most of the people no longer part of the forums.

Oh, sorry, should I point out the more recent fraud people were committing, then?

Ohhh, you're the bootlicking mod who probed a whole bunch of people in there, ah, this makes sense. Boot still taste good, I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sorry, I don't lick boot, you must be thinking of someone else.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh, sorry, should I point out the more recent fraud people were committing, then?

Ohhh, you're the bootlicking mod who probed a whole bunch of people in there, ah, this makes sense. Boot still taste good, I take it?

With no love lost for landlords and having not read the thread at all, seeing bootlicker used as a generic insult for people who disagree with you is the most annoying trend of 2020.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

With no love lost for landlords and having not read the thread at all, seeing bootlicker used as a generic insult for people who disagree with you is the most annoying trend of 2020.

Oh I'm not using it as a generic insult, the boot is playing speed bag with that mod's tonsils.

ANYWAY I like this topic and won't derail it further, so here's a dumb question! I've seen folks(ntan was the most recent from my cursory phone glance I think) post screen caps of public records of home sales/permits/whatnot, so I'm wondering is that kind of knowledge aggregated into one place or is it gonna be found in local county/state/ websites?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I just can't see myself getting bent out of shape over $5000 in repairs or whatever on a house you're buying. Especially if the roof is not going to collapse unless you get it fixed immediately.

Agreed. It's one of those instances where humans let their stupid emotions enter into a decision that should largely be a cold business transaction. If you really like the house and find the price fair, quibbling over 1-2% of the purchase price in repairs to later walk away when the seller rejects them is a bad move. I can certainly understand issues the represent a real safety risk (sewer backup, exposed wires) or would immediately reduce your ability to enjoy the property (HVAC broken), but most of the time it's minor DIY fixes.

Some of it no doubt stems from the fact that buyers frequently are: not handy, not able to find contractors, and cash-poor to the point that they can't afford even a few hundred dollars to fix things.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Johnny Truant posted:

ANYWAY I like this topic and won't derail it further, so here's a dumb question! I've seen folks(ntan was the most recent from my cursory phone glance I think) post screen caps of public records of home sales/permits/whatnot, so I'm wondering is that kind of knowledge aggregated into one place or is it gonna be found in local county/state/ websites?

Typically this is tracked at the county level, the quality and extent of the data varies significantly across municipalities. King County in WA got posted recently, which has a lot of stellar data easily available online. Then there's rural counties in like OK which I'm pretty sure still keep all their records in actual books in somebody's basement.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tumblr hype man posted:

Typically this is tracked at the county level, the quality and extent of the data varies significantly across municipalities. King County in WA got posted recently, which has a lot of stellar data easily available online. Then there's rural counties in like OK which I'm pretty sure still keep all their records in actual books in somebody's basement.

drat. That was what I figured, I just held out a little hope cause the screenshots looked similar in a few different regions.

Is that kind of information standard to receive when you're interested in a house? I'm guessing no on that, but is it a reasonable thing to ask the realtor for?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

drat. That was what I figured, I just held out a little hope cause the screenshots looked similar in a few different regions.

Is that kind of information standard to receive when you're interested in a house? I'm guessing no on that, but is it a reasonable thing to ask the realtor for?

Totally reasonable, but I think we had to pull it ourselves. Our city makes it pretty easy for anything post some date. They've scanned the microfiche online and newer ones get scanned directly. I should probably make sure some recent pre-covid permits are there and final come to think of it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Johnny Truant posted:

My city and a bunch of others I've searched in the past seem to use this site: https://bsaonline.com/, could try your luck there. Googling "<city/county name> property records" might get you some hits as well.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Totally reasonable, but I think we had to pull it ourselves. Our city makes it pretty easy for anything post some date. They've scanned the microfiche online and newer ones get scanned directly. I should probably make sure some recent pre-covid permits are there and final come to think of it.

Sirotan posted:

My city and a bunch of others I've searched in the past seem to use this site: https://bsaonline.com/, could try your luck there. Googling "<city/county name> property records" might get you some hits as well.

:toot:

Thanks, y'all! Trying to get (most of) the dumb questions out of the way very far in advance of beginning to house hunt.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

If every thread that had posters who deserved to be up against the wall was shitposted into oblivion, this forum wouldn't exist.
if every thread were specifically for people who should be up against the wall to swap tactics and ideas about how to exploit vulnerable people, yeah

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Agreed. It's one of those instances where humans let their stupid emotions enter into a decision that should largely be a cold business transaction. If you really like the house and find the price fair, quibbling over 1-2% of the purchase price in repairs to later walk away when the seller rejects them is a bad move. I can certainly understand issues the represent a real safety risk (sewer backup, exposed wires) or would immediately reduce your ability to enjoy the property (HVAC broken), but most of the time it's minor DIY fixes.

Some of it no doubt stems from the fact that buyers frequently are: not handy, not able to find contractors, and cash-poor to the point that they can't afford even a few hundred dollars to fix things.

Putting it in perspective of how much it costs in relation to the home price is definitely helpful. I know I'm hung up on the bit about him agreeing to do it and then not getting it done but to be fair, it's not like we'd have significantly changed our offer had he just refused in the first place.

A lot of my getting wrapped around the axle is just not having even a ballpark of what things cost. The obvious answer is to get a couple quotes from licensed people who do that work, but that's a little tough when you don't own the house and contractors aren't always the easiest to get hold of. If we just resolved not to use anyone who doesn't respond within a few days, there'd be no one in town we could hire, you know?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

bawfuls posted:

if every thread were specifically for people who should be up against the wall to swap tactics and ideas about how to exploit vulnerable people, yeah

if anyone does that in the new thread you can report them

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: GFCI outlet install

Obviously, don't try and do it yourself if you're uncomfortable, but if you do attempt it, make sure you turn off the breaker(s). If you wire it wrong and your house is up to code it'll just flip the breaker back off. There's a reason why people become electricians rather than go to college. It's not rocket science. I swapped out a light switch in my kitchen in a rental so I could hook it up to a smart home voice control thing.

If you're smart enough to get your current job and keep it long enough to buy a house, Learning how to swap an electrical outlet is within your reach. You'll need a philips head screwdriver, new outlets, and possibly a pair of needle nose pliers to push the wires around in the wall/socket. It takes probably 20 minutes for the first one, and then 5 minutes for each outlet thereafter.

Realistically, in a perfect world the electrician would charge you ~$250 to come out to your house, and then $25 per outlet to replace? Or just pay him $1000 in cash + a six pack of beer on a handshake deal. I dunno. This is going to cost money but you're not going to have to replace the roof or dig out the old driveway and repour it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I heard you should check the voltage even after turning off the breaker just in case. Would plugging in something to test if the outlet function (like a radio) be sufficient enough? I feel like I pretty much have to resign myself to buying poo poo I'll never use again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

I heard you should check the voltage even after turning off the breaker just in case. Would plugging in something to test if the outlet function (like a radio) be sufficient enough? I feel like I pretty much have to resign myself to buying poo poo I'll never use again.

Voltage testers are $20 (or less), would you want to trust a radio to confirm you won't electrocute yourself? I wouldn't.

https://smile.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-NCVT-2-Standard-Protection/dp/B004FXJOQO/

Edit: tho I will say plugging in a radio to an outlet is a good way to figure out which breaker you need to turn off, assuming you turn it up loud enough to hear it in your basement/wherever your panel is

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 22, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a wiring thread in DIY that a person doing wiring should review; you should probably also pick up a book, like the (yes I know, surprisingly) Black and Decker Wiring 1-2-3 book or similar, and one should definitely understand how to make certain the wires you're about to touch are turned off (e.g., have a tester, verify the tester is working, test before touchy-touchy, test every time even if you just went and turned back off the same circuit you previously turned off, etc.

But, much like the brakes on your car, while the consequences of serious failure are fairly serious, because of those consequences, there's loads of good info about how to do it and the mechanisms are fairly simple and straightforward to understand. You can learn how to safely replace an outlet with an hour of reading and paying attention to instructions. If you run into something you don't understand, or looks really old or dodgy, stop and get help.

The last bit of advice I'd offer is, be a reasonably details-aware person. If you know yourself to be the kind of person who gets scatterbrained, has a hard time focusing on a task at hand for more than a minute, easily skips steps by accident, etc., then sure: don't do outlet replacements yourself, this is not the DIY project for you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah that thread had people asking on the first loving page how to commit fraud and, iirc, how to evict section 8 housing.

lol can you imagine? My section 8 tenants are the only tenants I *don't* want to evict right now because Uncle Sam is the only one paying me on time / in full. Other than putting out the the trash properly that's the best I can hope for.

Speaking of, last night I tried to pull out the trash for the tenants who keep forgetting to put it out on the street themselves, and 3 raccoons popped out of the barrel and owned the poo poo outta me.

This is literally my life right now:

https://vimeo.com/328301821

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I love this thread sometimes. $5k which might potentially not even cover an unknown amount of drainage issues on a home you don't even own yet is small potatoes, but spending less than 1/5th of that on a lawyer is a bridge too far expense-wise.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Changing out outlets or flipping wires to not be reversed is so trivial I wouldn’t even bring it up in a negotiation, let alone cancel a deal over it.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

lol can you imagine? My section 8 tenants are the only tenants I *don't* want to evict right now because Uncle Sam is the only one paying me on time / in full. Other than putting out the the trash properly that's the best I can hope for.

Speaking of, last night I tried to pull out the trash for the tenants who keep forgetting to put it out on the street themselves, and 3 raccoons popped out of the barrel and owned the poo poo outta me.

This is literally my life right now:

https://vimeo.com/328301821

wow thats crazy. where are your properties? things are ok where i am (london zone 3) except the boys are going to move out with two mnths' notice at some point around christmas. thats when i get to see if rental costs have held up i suppose. up to now i feel like ive pitched it at the right level as only a handful of people tend to view and then one set will move in. theres an option to let the council source social housing tenants and even cover voids but it's about a quarter less than the private rental market

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bawfuls posted:

Now there's a spicy hot take.

Feel free to report any posts that advocate or discuss how to break the law.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Summit posted:

Changing out outlets or flipping wires to not be reversed is so trivial I wouldn’t even bring it up in a negotiation, let alone cancel a deal over it.

I agree. I replaced every single outlet in my house with no experience (they were ugly poo poo yellow plastic).

A voltage tester is a necessity and whatever that "check it's wired right" plug thing is - it gave me the confidence to tackle the job.

This included adding a gfci in the kitchen before I realized the when the house was built it was ok to not have that in the kitchen as long as every outlet was on its own fuse to a breaker, which it is. Still, made me feel like a real manTM.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

That's his cue for "all landlords are exploiting the vulnerable" (yes, but we're all stuck in this reality so :sadface: it is) and a downward spiral into shitstorm. :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

wow thats crazy. where are your properties? things are ok where i am (london zone 3) except the boys are going to move out with two mnths' notice at some point around christmas. thats when i get to see if rental costs have held up i suppose. up to now i feel like ive pitched it at the right level as only a handful of people tend to view and then one set will move in. theres an option to let the council source social housing tenants and even cover voids but it's about a quarter less than the private rental market

Boston MA area where I'm from, it's actually the nicer suburb unit with the raccoons, the slummier area units mostly have rats and opossums after the trash and not raccoons. I should have expected the raccoons would find their way into the tenant's trash because I saw the family of 5 of them across the street a month prior:

I got them on thermal too:

But yeah I'm a trash nazi, I want to keep things healthy and not keep inviting more disease vectors into the area, even if they're cute raccoons. My fellow landlord who owns the units next to me for some reason refuses to use the city's free trash removal but instead contracts a 3rd party company to empty his barrels... then he's too cheap to pay to empty them often enough. This is what his barrels look like today:

"Keep Chelsea Clean" on the trashbag is :discourse: with all the flies circling it right now. I don't wanna be "that guy" who calls the board of health but I already warned him once.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

yes, law breaking is the problem with landlords

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh my God shut up about landlords lmao

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I love this thread sometimes. $5k which might potentially not even cover an unknown amount of drainage issues on a home you don't even own yet is small potatoes, but spending less than 1/5th of that on a lawyer is a bridge too far expense-wise.

Who had the opinion that a RE attorney was a waste of money? All I recall was that in certain states they don't really even want to represent you/charge you unless something goes off of the very simple state forms. Which was my experience as well as at least someone else's.......

If you are going off form, don't understand the form, or live in a state where it's more complicated than a well understood form you absolutely should be paying for representation. Can you point out where/who said differently?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I think it's partly the name too. please, call me leaselord

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Motronic posted:

Who had the opinion that a RE attorney was a waste of money? All I recall was that in certain states they don't really even want to represent you/charge you unless something goes off of the very simple state forms. Which was my experience as well as at least someone else's.......

If you are going off form, don't understand the form, or live in a state where it's more complicated than a well understood form you absolutely should be paying for representation. Can you point out where/who said differently?

You caught me drive-by shitposting a snarky post after reading a couple of different goons' comments, but I'll try and put together which posts I was reading that made me respond that way.

Infinotize posted:

Everyone in TX uses a standard contract form, I would only bother getting a lawyer if someone wanted to use a different contract or deviate from it significantly. If they aren't going to do anything $500-$1000 is still money I'd rather save. (Saying this as a buyer, TX is more buyer friendly)

Hadlock posted:

The guy's contract is on the rocks over a $5000 repair, they've offered to pay $2000

How much is a lawyer retainer these days? At least $1500 I would guess? Plus dragging out the process etc all to save, at best, $1500? I guess maybe if you really hate the house and/or it's built on top of an Indian graveyard you're definitely at the edge of diminishing returns

Hadlock posted:

I just can't see myself getting bent out of shape over $5000 in repairs or whatever on a house you're buying. Especially if the roof is not going to collapse unless you get it fixed immediately.

$10,000 is probably a bridge too far, but average house these days is what $250,000? $5,000 is about 2% of the value of the house. That's definitely wiggle room territory.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bawfuls posted:

You sound like you're really fun. I bet you never get invited anywhere twice, right?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

bawfuls posted:

This isn't the landlord thread. You came here to get advice about buying a home and people have been polite and helpful. Don't ruin this one too.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

This stupid derail makes me want to buy this house and rent out the basement out of spite, and I fuckin hate landlords

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

You caught me drive-by shitposting a snarky post after reading a couple of different goons' comments, but I'll try and put together which posts I was reading that made me respond that way.

I mean, you're buying a house to live in, not to flip. More than likely it's going to appreciate greater than 2% between now and when you decide to sell it in 5/10/40 years

You drive across town for a date, you ask bartender how much is a whiskey. They say $5. Well the drink arrives and he says it's actually $6. Turns out on the menu it does in fact say $6. You say you don't want the whiskey any more. He offers to refund you $0.50 out of his own pocket immediately. You really like whiskey. Do you

1. Get a lawyer involved
2. Ask for the full $1.00
3. Immediately leave and go find another bar the next block over
4. Pay $6 for the whiskey, don't piss off your date, maybe get laid

Between the flowers, drinks, dinner and concert tickets that $1.00 was about 1% of the total cost of the date. Are you gonna be griping about getting stiffed for a buck when her lips are wrapped around your microdick at the end of the night? Who knows :iiam:

When it comes to repairs on a boat if it's under $1000 you just pay for it. Boat bucks always round down to the nearest $1000 and then divide by 1000. If you had an $800 part blow up on the water you just laugh and buy a new one because that trip was free in $BoatBucks

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I get the point that market timing is difficult if not impossible, same goes for STONKS. But since I do have some flexibility on timing, surely there are good and bad ways to leverage that?

This is essentially an argument for staying in my current place until the landlord dies, since we are paying probably 30% less in rent than a mortgage alone would be anywhere we'd be looking. If we were to attempt to buy the place we live in now, the mortgage would easily be double what our rent is. But our landlord is a boomer who bought the place in the 70's sight unseen and just wants the money to show up in his account every month without thinking about it, so here we are.

This place is great and the rent is a killer deal so I'm happy to stay as long as I can. But at some point I'd like to move somewhere permanent on my own terms, instead of having my housing security balanced on the knife edge of some out of town boomer's health.

I look at all these listings of houses selling for double what they sold for 10 years ago, and it feels equally absurd to expect prices to come down as it is to expect them to keep rising like this.

I guess I'm asking what are the right indicators that it's a good time to buy (or at least, not a bad time to buy), if not a widespread downturn? It's hard to read news of the current and looming crisis being deeper than 2008 and not think that has to have *some* impact on housing even in SoCal, but nothing makes sense anymore so maybe it all just keeps rocketing skyward until the collapse of the US at some unknowable future date.

a good time to buy is when you can afford a place you can dimly see yourself living in. you can expect to do what nearly all renters-into-buyers do: buy a modest place in a cheaper area than the one you were renting in.

and the fun doesnt stop there! once you have the modest place you might do what i did which is become an accidental landlord by starting to rent again in a more expensive area cause it's close to work or the beach or what have you

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Hadlock posted:

I mean, you're buying a house to live in, not to flip. More than likely it's going to appreciate greater than 2% between now and when you decide to sell it in 5/10/40 years

You drive across town for a date, you ask bartender how much is a whiskey. They say $5. Well the drink arrives and he says it's actually $6. Turns out on the menu it does in fact say $6. You say you don't want the whiskey any more. He offers to refund you $0.50 out of his own pocket immediately. You really like whiskey. Do you

1. Get a lawyer involved
2. Ask for the full $1.00
3. Immediately leave and go find another bar the next block over
4. Pay $6 for the whiskey, don't piss off your date, maybe get laid

Between the flowers, drinks, dinner and concert tickets that $1.00 was about 1% of the total cost of the date. Are you gonna be griping about getting stiffed for a buck when her lips are wrapped around your microdick at the end of the night? Who knows :iiam:

When it comes to repairs on a boat if it's under $1000 you just pay for it. Boat bucks always round down to the nearest $1000 and then divide by 1000. If you had an $800 part blow up on the water you just laugh and buy a new one because that trip was free in $BoatBucks

Burn the bar to the loving ground.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The guy's contract is on the rocks over a $5000 repair, they've offered to pay $2000

How much is a lawyer retainer these days? At least $1500 I would guess? Plus dragging out the process etc all to save, at best, $1500? I guess maybe if you really hate the house and/or it's built on top of an Indian graveyard you're definitely at the edge of diminishing returns

In my state a real estate lawyer is like 650-750 flat fee to deal with all the bullshit and 100% Worth it. (I paid less because I signed up for metlaw at 17/month and they covered my sale and purchase, plus my gradeschool friends firm takes it, and I'll have a will drawn up this year and then drop em).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can we do another round of "why does this suck?"

I saw this when it was priced at 349,500 and it felt nice, but sterile. it's back up at a lower price, and i'd even make an offer to undercut that, but i want to get opinions.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1912-Hewett-Ln-Maitland-FL-32751/47679736_zpid/

i feel like a coat of paint might do it some good? i'd go to like 325 based on comps, but i'm just kicking it around as a maybe.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 23, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Deviant posted:

Can we do another round of "why does this suck?"

I saw this when it was priced at 349,500 and it felt nice, but sterile. it's back up at a lower price, and i'd even make an offer to undercut that, but i want to get opinions.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1912-Hewett-Ln-Maitland-FL-32751/47679736_zpid/

i feel like a coat of paint might do it some good? i'd go to like 325 based on comps, but i'm just kicking it around as a maybe.
It's kind of just a box with cheap finishes, but it looks like a lot of deferred maintenance has been taken care of, so would probably be a pretty cheap cost of ownership sort of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Just got an initial closure disclosure and closing costs are 3.8% of the home price.

Talk about sticker shock!