Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Zedhe Khoja posted:

So does Israel exempt queer Palestinians from ethnic cleansing or what exactly is the point of this line of inquiry?

Oh I'm sorry, the point is that you have no spine and cannot possibly condemn homophobia if the perpetrators have the wrong color skin. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I thought this dispute was about racism or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Palestinian homosexual teenager: "Why does my family want to murder me?"

Well, we can get to that later, but at least you don't live in israel!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
gently caress off genocide apologist

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Zedhe Khoja posted:

gently caress off genocide apologist

Sweet buzzwords, again.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Relayer posted:

Palestinian homosexual teenager: "Why does my family want to murder me?"

Well, we can get to that later, but at least you don't live in israel!

You're the worst troll this thread has had and that's a low bar. You're doing exactly what you're accusing us of doing but with reversed values! At least the other genocide apologists put some effort in. C+.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Miftan posted:

You're the worst troll this thread has had and that's a low bar. You're doing exactly what you're accusing us of doing but with reversed values! At least the other genocide apologists put some effort in. C+.

No man, I kind of just like humanity and I hate idiot tribalism.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
you're the one who brought up LGBTQ stuff in context of "picking a side"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Relayer posted:

No man, I kind of just like humanity and I hate idiot tribalism.

To your credit pretending to love LGBT people but not giving a poo poo about genocide (or LGBT people really because you're using them as a cudgel) is very on brand for liberals so good job I guess.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
No one is arguing that Palestinian society is perfect or the greatest society that ever lived, they are arguing that Palestinian society doesn't deserve to get wiped out. I mean if you are going to do "well look at the way they treat "X" you might as well look at Israel screwed up marriage laws as well.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
are we going to pretend like all israelis are modern, forward thinking, progressive lgbt positive people? because boy howdy do i have some news for you buddy

this isnt to say that there arent palestinians who are homophobic but that it is absurd to call palestinians as evil savage peoples, who all hate queer folks (and this is of course quite racist) but it is equally racist and absurd to say that all israelis are these forward thinking, liberal folks who are all very lgbt positive. and this is all of course completely orthogonal to any discussion about whether or not palestinians have a right to exist or have a state.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Miftan posted:

To your credit pretending to love LGBT people but not giving a poo poo about genocide (or LGBT people really because you're using them as a cudgel) is very on brand for liberals so good job I guess.

Yes, I'm sure you care so much about the gay women and men who are all too often murdered by their own family members for being gay. I can tell, because you have the courage to say "welll... durrr, other people do it too". Maybe try having one consistent principal that you don't abandon immediately when something makes you feel uncomfortable? Maybe that's actually brave?

"Genocide" yes cool buzzword. I guess you win. Every gay person in the middle east is RUSHING to live in Israel, and they are welcome there. I guess I'm a racist for knowing that.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 21, 2020

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

but that it is absurd to call palestinians as evil savage peoples, who all hate queer folks

Good thing I didn't even remotely do that, you complete rear end in a top hat

My point, in fact, was that many gay palestinians are hated far more by their own countrymen than by any Israeli

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Relayer posted:

My point, in fact, was that many gay palestinians are hated far more by their own countrymen than by any Israeli

yes and many gay israelis are hated far more by israelis than by any palestinian! funny how that works, when you paint with a broad brush.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Relayer posted:

that is certainly an opinion. when was the last time you saw palestinians selling a shirt with a pregnant lesbian on it, crosshairs on her belly, and the sentence "one shot, two kills"

because I can show you the Israeli company that was selling them, and by all accounts they were doing quite a brisk trade

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

yes and many gay israelis are hated far more by israelis than by any palestinian! funny how that works, when you paint with a broad brush.

Haha. Broad brush. There's this really finite reservoir of terminology deployed by every idiot ever apparently.

Are you painting with a broad brush when you say israel is an apartheid state? Is it too broad to say jews are an insanely tiny global minority? Is saying that they are a target of basically every country that surrounds them? And most importantly: do you actually live in the region and do you know anything at all about the reality of life on either side? No?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Relayer posted:

Are you painting with a broad brush when you say israel is an apartheid state?

no

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that is certainly an opinion. when was the last time you saw palestinians selling a shirt with a pregnant lesbian on it, crosshairs on her belly, and the sentence "one shot, two kills"

because I can show you the Israeli company that was selling them, and by all accounts they were doing quite a brisk trade

Oh don't even do this. When was the last time you saw an israeli detonate a bomb on a bus with children on it on loving passover, for basically NO strategic or military gain?

Like just calm down, I already understand everything you think (probably, if not please correct me)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i mean intellectually I can gather there's probably a palestinian somewhere out there who -would- create a massive advertising campaign demanding anyone caught in a gay relationship be extrajudicially hunted down and kidnapped away from their degenerate seducer

but the actual existing market in israel for people to exfiltrate your daughter if she starts getting too chummy with someone from the wrong side of the tracks...

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Gee it's almost like "no jews allowed anywhere" is kind of more apartheid than "yes muslims are allowed in our country and can even serve in our government"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Relayer posted:

Oh don't even do this. When was the last time you saw an israeli detonate a bomb on a bus with children on it on loving passover, for basically NO strategic or military gain?

Like just calm down, I already understand everything you think (probably, if not please correct me)

remember that time during Pillar of Defense the israelis got caught opening fire on a bunch of kids playing soccer, for no strategic or military gain. next question

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Relayer posted:

this is just basic fact my dood

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Relayer posted:

Gee it's almost like "no jews allowed anywhere" is kind of more apartheid than "yes muslims are allowed in our country and can even serve in our government"

absolutely buck wild that you think 'stop being an apartheid state' means 'Jews can't exist', deeply antisemitic.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
also, marvel at the speed with which the israel apologist has pivoted from claiming the palestinians hate palestinians more than the israelis do to "please can we not discuss israeli society's open embrace of the idea of killing palestinian children as both good and necessary"

pop quiz: what is the current position of the Israeli politician who, during the runup to Pillar of Defense, proclaimed the following

"Behind every terrorist stand dozens of men and women, without whom he could not engage in terrorism. They are all enemy combatants, and their blood shall be on all their heads. Now this also includes the mothers of the martyrs, who send them to hell with flowers and kisses. They should follow their sons, nothing would be more just. They should go, as should the physical homes in which they raised the snakes. Otherwise, more little snakes will be raised there."

surely, the moderate, sensible israeli people you describe would have cost this woman her seat by now

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It would be a marvel to see the kinds of threads SA would have gotten if it had existed during the various post-WW2 decolonizations/wars for independence. Picturing some otherwise jovial Dutch posters showing up in the Indonesian independence thread and rabidly advocating for genocide and defending war crimes to defend their "enlightened" rule over "their" lands.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Relayer posted:

I already understand everything you think

Really overplayed your hand here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Broke: Gay Palestinians should die for being born gay
Woke: Gay Palestinians should die for being born Palestinian

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cugel the Clever posted:

It would be a marvel to see the kinds of threads SA would have gotten if it had existed during the various post-WW2 decolonizations/wars for independence. Picturing some otherwise jovial Dutch posters showing up in the Indonesian independence thread and rabidly advocating for genocide and defending war crimes to defend their "enlightened" rule over "their" lands.

Well it would certainly be an interesting mind game to think what an thread about Israel would have looked like post WW II as well if we are thinking of that time period.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Lum_ posted:

also there is the minor point that the US took Egypt's side in the Suez crisis and forced Israel and the UK/France force to withdraw

That's the point, they tried to do a little freelancing, and they were immediately smacked down. Now, if the European imperialists were an independent bloc, and not junior partners of the US, they might be an alternative patron, but if American perfidiousness around the Iran deal has taught us nothing else, it's shown that the Germans and the rest are still pathetically subservient, even to their own cost.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Relayer posted:

I'd like to tell you but I don't really wanna get banned cause ten bucks sort of matters right now

i'm glad getting probated was a cheap alternative.

anyways, painting with broad strokes about how people occupying a certain region feel about nuanced topics like queerness is one small part of how we got into this mess. anecdotally, i know queer palestinians and homophobic israelis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Relayer posted:

do you actually live in the region and do you know anything at all about the reality of life on either side? No?

Lmao buddy half the regulars in this thread are Israeli

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pomeroy posted:

That's the point, they tried to do a little freelancing, and they were immediately smacked down. Now, if the European imperialists were an independent bloc, and not junior partners of the US, they might be an alternative patron, but if American perfidiousness around the Iran deal has taught us nothing else, it's shown that the Germans and the rest are still pathetically subservient, even to their own cost.

this may surprise you but the geopolitical landscape has shifted a bit in the past 60 years

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Relayer posted:

Oh I'm sorry, the point is that you have no spine and cannot possibly condemn homophobia if the perpetrators have the wrong color skin. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I thought this dispute was about racism or something.

go preach queer tolerance in haredi communities; they don't have the excuse of being oppressed by a totalitarian racist state

"the palestinians deserve to be oppressed until 100% of them become perfect innocent doves who do not commit any crime and invent the cure for cancer instead; as long as they don't meet the standard i have set for them (and which i am not at all setting for israeli) then it's hypocritical to want their existence to be less lovely"

you can just go gently caress right off with that transparent bullshit

Relayer posted:

it's painting with a brush so thin you need an electron microscope to see it

Relayer posted:

Is it too broad to say jews are an insanely tiny global minority?

whereas there are plenty of arabs so it's okay if the palestinians are oppressed, there are spare arabs elsewhere

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 22, 2020

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Member how for a while there it looked Israel had COVID-19 under control and all that?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/benabyad/status/1285467087713054720

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The cruelty is the point

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
so is annexation gonna remain a wet fart or is there still something in works?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nebalebadingdong posted:

If Trump wins Israel will be annexing the Sinai on November 4th.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

The cruelty is the point

The point is to make sure that as many people as possible catch the disease because Israel is an unabashed genocidal power.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Seems like it stalled out for now, due to other political troubles taking precedence.

In particular, Israel's getting hit pretty badly by coronavirus right now. IIRC, they handled the first wave relatively well, but reopened too early and are now being hit much harder, which is causing significant political blowback on the government.

https://mobile.twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1283299277511458816
https://mobile.twitter.com/Atul_Gawande/status/1283370216160927749

On top of that, efforts to get things back under control have met with a flavor of political chaos that'll be somewhat familiar to Americans, but with its own special twist. In Israel, they passed an emergency powers law allowing the cabinet to issue coronavirus decrees without Knesset approval, and then let the Knesset decide afterward whether to retroactively approve them or not. Now, if you've been reading this thread, you'd expect this to lead immediately to a Bibi dictatorship. But as it turns out, the right-wing factions Bibi built his coalition around really hate coronavirus restrictions, so it's been a comedy theater of the government imposing restrictions and closures and then the Knesset immediately overturning them afterward, which is causing even more public anger and confusion than if the measures were just being blocked up-front.
https://twitter.com/JNS_org/status/1285378964827955202
https://twitter.com/CleveJN/status/1285560665348988941
https://twitter.com/i24NEWS_EN/status/1284872469317394432
https://twitter.com/AFilan/status/1285480920724668418

On top of that, the stability of the hard-won ruling coalition is at risk due to clashes between the secular right and the religious right, as usual. This time, the haredi parties are revolting over a newly-passed ban on gay conversion therapy. Blue and White supported the ban, and Likud opposed the ban but did nothing to stop Blue and White from supporting it, so the ultra-Orthodox politicians are furious at Gantz for passing it and extremely displeased that Bibi let it happen. The coalition probably won't outright collapse right now, if I had to guess. But the haredi parties are threatening to outright boycott the Knesset and refuse any cooperation with Blue and White at all, which could potentially make Bibi's legislative agenda very messy and precarious.
https://twitter.com/ArutzSheva_En/status/1285904557583691778
https://twitter.com/ArutzSheva_En/status/1285896009940234240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A lot of that sounds exactly like the US