Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

My mom, being the total badass she was (and also knowing she was dying), took care of nearly everything beforehand. We are paying a few things (paying the town to open/close the grave, death certs, etc), but she made all the arrangements with the funeral home beforehand. Funeral home is getting some cash, but it's a barebones thing. Baseline everything.

She wanted no funeral. Just a simple, short graveside service. She's being cremated, and her ashes buried in the family plot. No preacher. She pre-wrote what she wants said. We're to play two songs, one of which is Sinatra's "My Way."

In her words, "I don't want a pity party when I'm gone. Throw a real party a few months later, if you want. Play some loud music, maybe piss off the neighbors, get real high if you want."
Man, that's awesome; good of her to think of everyone else in a time like that.

I like the idea of a wake instead of a funeral, personally; everyone standing around drinking telling fun stories. I feel like an open bar would be a good use of whatever's left in my checking account when I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ConfusedUs posted:

My mom, being the total badass she was (and also knowing she was dying), took care of nearly everything beforehand. We are paying a few things (paying the town to open/close the grave, death certs, etc), but she made all the arrangements with the funeral home beforehand. Funeral home is getting some cash, but it's a barebones thing. Baseline everything.

She wanted no funeral. Just a simple, short graveside service. She's being cremated, and her ashes buried in the family plot. No preacher. She pre-wrote what she wants said. We're to play two songs, one of which is Sinatra's "My Way."

In her words, "I don't want a pity party when I'm gone. Throw a real party a few months later, if you want. Play some loud music, maybe piss off the neighbors, get real high if you want."

So what you are saying is that you had a mother of superior class and grace. Life well lived.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hope your mom keeps on kicking rear end, wherever she is now. She sounds like she was a real gem. You and yours have all my sympathy.

You better piss off those neighbours something fierce!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
poo poo pissing me off: My predecessor was absolute garbage at keeping dependencies up-to-date. Today, a web application stopped working in Chrome because it doesn't support TLSv1.2. It's running on Java 6u43. The application, a vendor app, is itself well past its EOL, so I have no idea if it can run on Java 7 even. There's no Test environment.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

The funeral industry is a loving emotional and financial parasite.

It's in ridiculously bad loving taste, but is about par for the course for the industry and America as a whole.

EDIT:

Maybe not the time for you, CU (I'm sorry for your loss), but Adam Ruins Everything did a segment about how funerals are ripoffs (really don't watch this, ConfusedUs; save it for a couple of months, it'll probably just make you feel crappy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGqbALhpUmM

This, plus my own mother's death, solidified my desire for my someday funeral to be an event where a hole is dug beneath a mature tree, my unembalmed meat bicycle is shoved in, and the hole is filled in.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Funerals always have been, and always will be, 100% for the living.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

dragonshardz posted:

This, plus my own mother's death, solidified my desire for my someday funeral to be an event where a hole is dug beneath a mature tree, my unembalmed meat bicycle is shoved in, and the hole is filled in.

Don't know what country you are in, but laws in the USA (like EVERYTHING ELSE) are hosed up. You have Three options: Pay a lease on a spot of ground, be cremated, or donate your body to science.

There IS a thing out there where they put your corpse in a thing attached to a trees root ball, so you'll feed the tree, but is unlikely to ever be legal here due to REASONS.

I really wanted to have my skull cleaned, and copper electroplated, and be kept on the mantle, but that is a straight up NOGO

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't know what country you are in, but laws in the USA (like EVERYTHING ELSE) are hosed up. You have Three options: Pay a lease on a spot of ground, be cremated, or donate your body to science.

There IS a thing out there where they put your corpse in a thing attached to a trees root ball, so you'll feed the tree, but is unlikely to ever be legal here due to REASONS.

I really wanted to have my skull cleaned, and copper electroplated, and be kept on the mantle, but that is a straight up NOGO
I have good news about how you are (as of very recently) wrong about this.

And if you were wondering "how could anyone but the shitheels in the funeral industry be against this," the answer is "the Catholic Church, because they have to be on the wrong side of just about everything."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There are a few systems I don't usually work on.

I got reports that sometimes postgresql on one of those machines would stop some time during the night.

I found out why: ENOSPC when trying to write, but hardly any space was used when I looked. So I went to Zabbix to get some space usage graphs and sure enough, during the night something runs against the space limit and then frees everything again.

The "backup" script for that database does this:

* dump schema
* for each table, do select * from $table, pipe output to file below /tmp, gzip file

That's the "backup".

Now nevermind that that's not even approaching an actual backup, one of those tables has a lot of large text columns and psql helpfully aligns columns in text output. So there's an insane amount of whitespace in the result, which bloats a 60MB table to > 23GB, which is enough to fill the entire drive because really that thing is a tiny VM for one very specific job and doesn't need to be larger.

This is honestly pissing me off more than it probably should. loving hell.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Thanatosian posted:

I have good news about how you are (as of very recently) wrong about this.

And if you were wondering "how could anyone but the shitheels in the funeral industry be against this," the answer is "the Catholic Church, because they have to be on the wrong side of just about everything."

That’s awesome, But I was talking about this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/say-goodbye-coffins-organic-burial-7944152.amp

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Thanks Ants posted:

Buy a load of magnifying glasses for the users to carry around and close the ticket

That'll get lost, better glue it to the camera.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Antigravitas posted:

This is honestly pissing me off more than it probably should. loving hell.

No, that's aggressively stupid and you should channel that anger into a public shaming and "fix it now" rant.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I don't really do angry at work, I bring that poo poo home like a normal person.

In this case I tracked down the author of the script, and it's my boss. So I did a band-aid fix to the script and wrote a passive-aggressive mail instead.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I don't really do angry at work, I bring that poo poo home like a normal person.

In this case I tracked down the author of the script, and it's my boss. So I did a band-aid fix to the script and wrote a passive-aggressive mail instead.
Anger at work should primarily be reserved for vendors, and should otherwise be expressed via passive-aggressive emails that no one can point to anything specific in the email as being angry, but anyone reading it universally understands the emotion behind it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
When your Dell Thunderbolt dock so crummy it was only ever supported on two models from the same hardware generation.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I hit the hardware performance limit on my music production PC and I’m in the rabbit hole of pc kit.

I could fix the issue with a $200 computer case and two $30 heat sinks using an existing motherboard/cpu/ram I have.

But I could buy a motherboard/cpu/ram off eBay for $400 and repurpose the existing case

But I could buy a solid motherboard/cpu/ram off of eBay, plus a new cooler for $500

But since I’m considering $500 I could get a beefier setup with a video card that supports my ultra wide monitor for $750 all in

But then there’s the Ryzen that would scream for $1800

poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy the (presumably better) case to repurpose the stuff you have already, then at least you have a decent place to put new stuff into.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Are computer towers still 200$? Are you trying to buy a full atx server tower or something?

Edit: actually like, what are your needs like? I'm curious how involved music production is. Is it all hard drives, or what?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 22, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TheParadigm posted:

Are computer towers still 200$? Are you trying to buy a full atx server tower or something?

My current motherboard is SSI-EEB form factor (12”x13”) and there are only a few tower cases that go that big. i have it currently in a 4U rackmount case and I don’t want to put it on its side.

The Fractal Design 7XL is what I’m looking at. The drat thing will hold a serving platter comfortably.

Edit: ^^^ music production involves multiple tracks of audio and each track can have audio plugins to do reverb and compression, etc.

On recording and playback, each track gets processed in real time so you can think of it like each track being a processing thread. On a 48-track mix, an 8-core box processes six audio tracks per core, and that can saturate a CPU really fast.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 22, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wow, that timing with the post.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Hah! Right?

To finish off my thought, DAW PCs used to have involved disk setups (think 10k SCSI RAID-0, maybe RAD-10 with controllers with lots of cache) to provide enough I/O to the audio streams. Without good disk you’d get stuttering and drops.

These days, depending on the bit rate, even the most basic SSD can handle a 20-track playback with ten track simultaneous record.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a coolermaster cosmos 2 case and it's pretty great. If you can find a motherboard that won't fit in it then you deserve some sort of prize. You could mount an entire ATX case inside that thing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Buy the (presumably better) case to repurpose the stuff you have already, then at least you have a decent place to put new stuff into.

Yeah, and there's new Ryzens and GPUs coming out later this year so getting it now before the price drops / the new shiny drops would be a shame.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

A good case is worth the money imo. I have a fractal thingy that's approaching workstation quality, with sound dampening lining and so on. It's a big fuckoff black monolith. Having a PC that is nearly inaudible is great and a good case helps.

That reminds me, we got some mystery tower some time ago that was housing some mystery innards for some scientific poo poo that had evacuated its magic smoke while sitting in some lab:

I opened it to see what crazy stuff was inside:

:thunk:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

God that takes me back. Way back in like 1994, I had a friend who bought a Pentium 60. He got some crazy 4 foot tall tower for it. It had like 8 drive bays or something crazy.

He had a 420MB hard drive, CD-ROM, and 3.5" floppy. That's it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Built admin to create a certain type of report I had been doing manually and sent the link to the user with the reports they most recently requested. User came back requesting a change on what items to cover. Why didn't you just use the admin?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have a coolermaster cosmos 2 case and it's pretty great. If you can find a motherboard that won't fit in it then you deserve some sort of prize. You could mount an entire ATX case inside that thing.

A good Fractal Design case and Noctua fans will give you a machine that's barely audible even running games under load.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A new person was hired. Start date of Monday 8/3. I bought a new laptop for them intending to get it prepped immediately just to be safe.

I get an email this week that the start date has been moved up to 7/31. I have no idea why having someone start the prior Friday makes sense but whatever. They've done this before.

I should be finished with the laptop today, and I get an email from HR that says "Whoops we forgot that employee is actually in Mexico and won't be back until 8/3. Can you ship them the laptop so they can start work on 7/31?"

I denied the request, saying that the cost and effort of shipping the laptop out of the country is not worth it when they can wait literally one business day and pick it up the following Monday. Just how much work do they think this person is going to get done on that Friday while they're traveling back to the U.S.?

I expect the usual outrage.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My company does this a lot.. Except that the on-boarding and training process for some of our new hires takes about a week or so. So even if they do have a laptop on day 1, they don't touch it for at least a week or more after starting!

Yet the COO will still get antsy if a new person (that IT was just informed about 2 business days before they start), doesn't have everything the minute they walk in the door.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Still better than my job. We usually get people just showing up to our office without any prior notice asking where their computer is. Or the usual... "THIS PERSON STARTED 2 WEEKS AGO AND HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK. THIS IS LITERALLY AFFECTING PRODUCTION!"
My favorite is when they bitch and moan and actually manage to get everything for the person the day they start despite giving neither HR nor ITS the proper notice only to have the person quit like 2 days later. This happens a lot.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Over the past five years there have been at least six occasions when the HR person didn't notify me that a new person was starting until they were literally standing in the lobby waiting to get started. Also several times when I was not told that someone was being terminated until after they were already gone. Even a few instances where I was told to proceed with the termination checklist only to get a frantic call to roll it all back after it was already completed.

In a company this small there is no excuse for these sorts of fuckups. We're on our second HR person and they are almost indistinguishable in behavior from the first one.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 22, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

yes lets connect clients to the VPN and then do client-to-client print sharing between a bunch of end users over the VPN, what could possibly go wrong

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Or HR person is actually quite good. She always tells IT when there are new hires/terminations as soon as they are confirmed. If we are looking to fill a newly created position she will tell us so we can have the equipment ready before a candidate is even selected.

The COO and CEO on the otherhand.. If they make a hire (happens occasionally), I usually find out about it at the same time as HR. Typically on Friday afternoon right before they start Monday morning.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Not tech related, but my mom died this week (gently caress cancer) and the funeral home sent me a draft of her obituary. It was nine (several single-sentence) paragraphs, the last of which was basically a text ad for their services. "She chose us for her blah blah blah and blah blah and call us at 555-gently caress-off for all your funeral needs"

Like...over 10% of her obit was an ad.

...That's really in bad taste, or is it just me?

Wait until you see how much it costs to post in the paper. I had to do that for both my parents this year. Its been a real shitshow, but a local poo poo newspaper asking for almost 200 per.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Antigravitas posted:

A good case is worth the money imo. I have a fractal thingy that's approaching workstation quality, with sound dampening lining and so on. It's a big fuckoff black monolith. Having a PC that is nearly inaudible is great and a good case helps.

That reminds me, we got some mystery tower some time ago that was housing some mystery innards for some scientific poo poo that had evacuated its magic smoke while sitting in some lab:

I opened it to see what crazy stuff was inside:

:thunk:

Ah the Chieftec full tower, seemed like everybody was modding these in the mid-2000s

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

Over the past five years there have been at least six occasions when the HR person didn't notify me that a new person was starting until they were literally standing in the lobby waiting to get started. Also several times when I was not told that someone was being terminated until after they were already gone. Even a few instances where I was told to proceed with the termination checklist only to get a frantic call to roll it all back after it was already completed.

In a company this small there is no excuse for these sorts of fuckups. We're on our second HR person and they are almost indistinguishable in behavior from the first one.

I can't think I have ever received an offboarding ticket for anyone without me showing up at their retirement party with the paperwork.
People will literally go so far out of their way to avoid signing the "Yeah they quit" paperwork which is dumb because that's the only way we will grant access to that employee's email or files if we know they're gone.
Which leads to a lot of "hey just give me your password before you leave" or "please quit without telling anyone" action which HR never does anything about.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A good Fractal Design case and Noctua fans will give you a machine that's barely audible even running games under load.

Yeah, this. This is what I use for my production needs and other than when I'm rendering video and the GPU fans spin up it's noiseless above the desk (well, it might be audible if the noise floor of the room were lower than 40 dBA but since I'm in loving California and there's no basements here and the houses are essentially wooden tents, that's the best I can hope for). I think I got the R6, and the space inside it was absolutely overkill since it's all M.2s and a couple 2.5 SSDs, but the double layering and noise insulation really takes what the P180 started and ramps it up, and obviously Noctua fans are 100% worth their absurd premium.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Condolences, but your mom does indeed sound like a total badass and that is exactly how I'd want to go out if(lol) when I die too.

No muss, no fuss, everybody get drunk and tell funny stories.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Finally got my new power supply to the office after the courier gave up trying to find my house. Corsair RM750x, hopefully it lasts at least a year longer than the dogshit CM brick I made the mistake of putting in this build. The total lack of online reviews and the 5 year warranty should have been enough of a warning, it still runs at low load so hopefully it hasn't damaged anything more expensive :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: a company I just applied to sent me an automated reply requesting I complete a dozen "games" (read: assessments). That email came in one minute after I applied at 6:15 PM, there's no way someone actually looked at my application. I'm 50/50 on even doing this poo poo vs ignoring it if they're making me put that much effort in before they even look at my application.