Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Moon Slayer posted:

Either "orgy" meant something different in 1933 or this headline way over-promised something the article failed to deliver.

obviously the band orgy from the 90s time travelled back to 1933 and were hanging in the bathroom with these drunk ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pastry of the Year posted:

you can't be going around "misleading children into trusting Dracula"

Do you want goths? Because this is how you get goths.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sure, trusting Dracula is bad, but trusting a foot-washing, peacenik, zombie is A-OK?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Moon Slayer posted:

Either "orgy" meant something different in 1933 or this headline way over-promised something the article failed to deliver.

It used to refer to spiritual dances based on the word orgia

Peter Pan has a line in the book

quote:

After a time he fell asleep, and some unsteady fairies had to climb over him on their way home from an orgy.

which is pretty funny now

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/normalchin/status/1285713496559300615

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also all those books that use "ejaculation" to mean "loud sharp noise"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Data Graham posted:

One time in fourth grade we were doing an exercise where we came up with all the synonyms for "said" that an author could use.

I piped up with "ejaculated". Bless my teacher for keeping a straight face.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

That showed up in Great Expectations or something and it was a fun day during reading aloud in literature class

because the kid that was reading stopped and asked "[teacher], what does ejaculate mean?"

and half the class knew and half didn't and there was much giggling and there was much embarrassment

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Data Graham posted:

Sherlock Holmes ejaculates pretty often after talking with Watson.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

SpacePig posted:

Sherlock Holmes ejaculates pretty often after talking with Watson.

The Cask of Amontillado has one too, I remember because I had to read that line in class. Guy's really into wine and extreme bondage.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
it's pretty normal to ejaculate during social intercourse though?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Asterix books misled me into thinking an orgy was just a wild party with lots of food. A gluttonous orgy being the defauly, rather than a sexual one.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The 1962 Swedish translation of Bilbo translates the dwarves stroking their beards as "runka", a word that originally meant shake or such.

For basically anyone born since, it means masturbation and nothing else.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elfface posted:

Asterix books misled me into thinking an orgy was just a wild party with lots of food. A gluttonous orgy being the defauly, rather than a sexual one.

So like "orgy" in the sense of "an orgy of gluttony" evolving to mean just a feast

Reminded me of how I heard on the news about someone who was accused of murdering someone with (per the newscaster) "a stiletto". I was like .... okay do you mean a stiletto heel? Or the dagger that the heel is named after? Of course they meant the heel

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
This got me pretty good this morning.

https://twitter.com/ukmekgnac/status/1285757656259457028?s=20

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Oh my god that rice.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

:lmao: that rice

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The worst part is you can make great rice in a saucepan, she just didn't even try

edit: just went looking for an apology video for that terrible rice and instead there's a video on the BBC facebook page titled You've Been Cooking Rice Wrong Your WHOLE LIFE like bitch I did not make your same choices do not point that at me

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

freelop posted:

It used to refer to spiritual dances based on the word orgia

Peter Pan has a line in the book

which is pretty funny now

Please don’t kink shame the fae. They will hex the moon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Elfface posted:

I had an argument with a high school teacher once after using "orgy of destruction" in a book review.

She did pretty well in trying to get me to change my wording without once mentioning what she thought 'orgy' meant.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

as a young kid I used the phrase "brown-noser" in a story and my teacher asked if I knew exactly what it meant (I didn't) and he explained it was someone who would "lick mud" to get ahead. good save, teach

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got detention once for saying something sucked. The teacher yelled "I know that means it SUCKS DICK"

Not a single kid in that class knew that

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

wheres the full video. this guy is great. if youre sad in life use msg. if youre happy in life use msg.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Here’s the full video. Time stamped to the really funny bit but the first half isn’t bad either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=53me-ICi_f8&t=3m45s

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

RandomFerret posted:

I got detention once for saying something sucked. The teacher yelled "I know that means it SUCKS DICK"

My 6th grade art teacher used that as some kind of gotcha. Every time someone said "that sucks" she'd start yelling "SUCKS WHAT EXACTLY???"

One day one of the more wholesome and well-meaning kids responded "A GIANT JUICY PICKLE :D" and got detention, but at least she never asked again.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Hey. One of my favorite books as a little kid was a Count book. And I grew up to play Vampire: the Masquerade in high school. Umm...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Do you want goths? Because this is how you get goths.

:negative:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Riatsala posted:

My 6th grade art teacher used that as some kind of gotcha. Every time someone said "that sucks" she'd start yelling "SUCKS WHAT EXACTLY???"

One day one of the more wholesome and well-meaning kids responded "A GIANT JUICY PICKLE :D" and got detention, but at least she never asked again.

"Lemons!"

"Eggs!"

"The poo poo straight outta my rear end!"

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Asking a question that you don't want the kids to actually answer is some rookie teacher poo poo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Railing Kill posted:

Hey. One of my favorite books as a little kid was a Count book. And I grew up to play Vampire: the Masquerade in high school. Umm...

there is no conclusive proof that the count is a vampire

its true. what defines the vampire? drinking of blood. now the count von count has never been witnessed drinking blood. it is possible he has turned into a bat at some point but that just makes him a particularly gothy druid
qed, not a vampire

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Railing Kill posted:

There is no proof that the count is a vampire.

What defines the vampire? Drinking blood. But the Count von Count has never been witnessed drinking blood. It's possible he has turned into a bat at some point but that just makes him a particularly gothy druid.

you might say he has fangs and lives in a castle. my cat has fangs and is not a vampire. Enya lives in a castle and is not a vampire. And again, no blood drinking.

The Count is merely a druid with abnormally large property tax obligations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
repeating things over and over is evidence of vampirism according to Mulder so GOTCHA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Enya also has many cats, not vampires.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kebab Vlad was a voivod not a count.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/TheGoodLiars/status/1285953253717442562?s=20

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If The Count is any kind of undead, I'd argue it's far more likely that he is a jiangshi, or Chinese vampire

Consider the following traits:

• Blue skin

• Stiff joints (only ever movies one arm at a time)

• Stuttery locomotion, hopping movements rather than a smooth walking gait

Obsessed with counting things

None of these are common in western vampire stories, but all of them are quite often seen in Chinese depictions

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

Blue skin

(only ever movies one arm at a time)

He is clearly purple and also

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

RandomFerret posted:

My third grade teacher was frustrated one time and yelled "BULL!"
We being eight years old obviously asked her why she yelled that, and she calmed down and explained the word "bullshit" to us.
Bless her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

This is exactly what I was hoping it was.