Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Make the entire duration of each video a single chapter and give each one a silly name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

SugarAddict posted:

tag every inventory management with Tetris music

Death Stranding July 4 2020 Update "The New America"

Giant United Cities of America flag accessory
Backpack trucknutz accessory
Even more patriotic (if that is even possible) character dialog
Soundtrack addition: "God Bless the UCA"
Tetris style inventory management mini game

:ussr:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

liquidypoo posted:

Make the entire duration of each video a single chapter and give each one a silly name

"Sam walks down to the postbox"
"Sam takes a stroll through the neighborhood"
"Sam gets some exercise and fresh air"
"Sam goes birdwatching"
"Sam's day at the zoo"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam Visits The La Brea Tar Pits And Immediately Regrets This Decision

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
"Sam Makes Faces At The Mirror For 35 Minutes"
Update is 33 minutes long

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

"Sam's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"
Sam shotguns all 5 Monsters on his table, then spends 40 minutes alternating between the shower and the toilet

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

"Sam's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"
Sam shotguns all 5 Monsters on his table, then spends 40 minutes alternating between the shower and the toilet

He could do both at the same time. The toilet IS in the shower.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

SugarAddict posted:

He could do both at the same time. The toilet IS in the shower.

Yes. That's exactly what I was alluding to.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SugarAddict posted:

The toilet IS in the shower.

Upsides to the post-apocalyptic future

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The shower is already the toilet if you want it hard enough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The LP will be returning soon now that I'm getting my health issues under control for the time being. But in case you're jonesing for some CJacobs and want to see me play a DIFFERENT game with pretty foliage and unbelievably good motion/performance capture, here's this:

https://twitter.com/CJacobsLP/status/1278820316324802562?s=20

It's ten hours long. And I really enjoyed it! And there's THREE MORE ten hour streams of it coming!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 2, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Poor Joel.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Joel will pay for his crimes

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
"What if Manhunt was incredibly gorgeous and also there was acoustic guitar", the game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The LP will be resuming this week but in the meantime you must know that DEATH STRANDING IS COMING OUT ON PC IN LESS THAN 12 HOURS. You should buy it, it's very good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Considering rebuying it in the hopes that there's a transformative Buff Sam mod experience on par with my Buff Jill playthrough in RE3make

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm just gonna live in hope that nobody touches a single polygon on norman reedus' perfect head

but I know inside that this is a fool's errand

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Considering rebuying it in the hopes that there's a transformative Buff Sam mod experience on par with my Buff Jill playthrough in RE3make

there's only one RE3 mod you really need

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm streaming the game here for anyone who wants to see what it looks like on PC! Just note that I probably will be doing this for a while so there may be early game spoilers if you're just following the LP. But you should stop by regardless!

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
Love your lp and can't wait for the next episode!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Last boat, stand in the river.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
the C stands for "carrying a printer uphill"

that was a fun episode!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CJacobs posted:

I'm streaming the game here for anyone who wants to see what it looks like on PC! Just note that I probably will be doing this for a while so there may be early game spoilers if you're just following the LP. But you should stop by regardless!

Definitely want to see how the walking simulator looks on PC.

It has all the things I love - Kojima craziness, levelling up, inventory management, gear degradation. Ooooh yeah, right into my veins.

That's not sarcasm, by the way. Games like this speak to my inner OCD neat freak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, was I right about guessing that BT stood for beach(ed) thing?

I noticed we also passed the only sign I've seen of pre existing civilization, with those half buried cars. Something poetic about creeping through the remnants of the past, surrounded by the vengeful dead.

I'm also sort of curious how they figured out unborn children from comatose mothers gave people magic powers... I guess it wouldn't be a kojima game without that kind of weirdness...

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Definitely want to see how the walking simulator looks on PC.

It has all the things I love - Kojima craziness, levelling up, inventory management, gear degradation. Ooooh yeah, right into my veins.

That's not sarcasm, by the way. Games like this speak to my inner OCD neat freak.
The PC version has quite a few quality-of-life changes, and it controls pretty well with a mouse and keyboard too.
And it has been monopolizing my game time this past week: if this game clicks with you, it clicks hard.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

OwlFancier posted:

I'm also sort of curious how they figured out unborn children from comatose mothers gave people magic powers... I guess it wouldn't be a kojima game without that kind of weirdness...

Not even comatose but actually brain dead mothers. I hope to God they just work opportunistically whenever a pregnant woman winds up brain dead by chance because if they’re actually “manufacturing” them... :cry: Says something interesting Sam just took it as accepted practice. My only guess is they probably found it out experimenting with using life support on braindead people to prevent BT formation (which apparently works if these stillmothers are still around) and when they pulled the kids out they found out something out about them that lead to their current use. Not sure why they weren’t just allowed to be “born” though, and the whole “treat an obviously sentient human as a thing” is VERY disturbing about the UCA ethically. Unless there’s some reason they can’t be allowed to grow up like regular people, that’s just ugly. Even if they need them THAT badly you’d think they could just use them for a few months then release them to grow up normally rather than just wear them out until they’re trashed. Not liking what this says about our protagonist faction here. Also, plot theory now, somebody cuts the life support on the stillmothers and we have a massive BT crisis.

And hey, if we didn’t have enough ethically problematic people, how about those MULES? Bandit gangs are bad enough without any of the victims they kill coming back as (apparently) the equivalent of human antimatter. Wonder if they’re crooks hiding in the cities between jobs or an actual outlaw society, the latter might explain the raiding if they have no manufacturing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The logistics of BBs make no sense based on what we know so far. Like, it seems difficult to believe that there are that many being born at all, and if they burn out in less than a year, how the hell are they common enough to be in regular use? ...I guess all assuming they're occurring naturally and not being deliberately created, in which case... :catstare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, when you think about what a BB actually is (that being a preemie) it makes a grim sort of sense why they expire after a year or so. The BB is a living human baby, which means it is gonna keep growing up like one. And you folks are acting surprised that the UCA is treating the BBs and their stillmothers with questionable ethics! Let's not forget that they were gonna have Sam incinerate it with Bridget without even telling him what was in the package.

Also, you may be overestimating the prevalence of BBs. Sam's- or rather Igor's -is BB-28, which I think we can surmise is probably on the high end given how fast the UCA supposedly burns through them.

edit:

MadDogMike posted:

And hey, if we didn’t have enough ethically problematic people, how about those MULES? Bandit gangs are bad enough without any of the victims they kill coming back as (apparently) the equivalent of human antimatter. Wonder if they’re crooks hiding in the cities between jobs or an actual outlaw society, the latter might explain the raiding if they have no manufacturing.

The MULEs are carrying stun sticks, you can see them in the cutscene. They don't kill the people they hunt, just take their boxes. Now, the Homo Demens who captured Amelie on the other hand...

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 22, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They seem pretty blasé about discarding the things if they're hard to come by, yeah. That might mean they're being, uh, manufactured. No wonder no one wants to have babies any more.

I assume they can't be properly born because they need that umbilical connection to a basically-dead person to be able to detect the BT's. I don't know how they maintain that connection but presumably they do since their stillmother needs to not be completely dead - I would guess chiral stuff is involved but they don't seem to need to be part of the network?
And being kept artificially enwombed for a year probably isn't great for a foetus' prospects of existing outside of one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking optimistically, there are a few ways stillmothers could be produced that don't require lobotomizing people possibly against their will. It could be a volunteer program, or mothers with terminal illnesses giving their bodies to science, like a freaky future-science organ donor situation. How likely is that? It's iffy, but as there aren't that many BBs it's at least plausible.

This doesn't excuse the UCA treating BBs and stillmothers like disposable tools instead of people, but the truth may not be as perverse as you're expecting at the very least. We'll see in due time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not entirely sure there's a process that doesn't seem extremely creepy but it's kojima so I'm sort of used to that. Hopefully he doesn't lean on it too much.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I can't imagine pregnant women go brain-dead very commonly, especially in a way where the baby remains viable, and especially in a world that's supposedly heavily depopulated. So that kind of leaves either taking pregnant women and forcibly inducing brain-death, or taking brain-dead women and forcibly impregnating them. Neither prospect seems great. And yeah, they're babies, and...

But also, 28 seems really low if they're meant to be working equipment for the people transporting corpses to incineration, and it's been more than like, a couple years since everything went bad. But I guess we don't currently have a lot of details about timeline or population density, etc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We do know the population of at least Capital Knot City (42,000). You can see it in the top right corner of the screen when we enter its vicinity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Supposedly the average death rate in the world is about 8 people per year, per 1000 living people.

So 42,000 would be 336 bodies generated per year. So about one trip a day. But I assume they also have a lot of life extending future technology.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Well, my point is more that if your corpse disposal teams use BBs, 28 BBs is 28 team-years (i.e., 28 teams for a year, one team for 28 years, or somewhere inbetween), which isn't a lot to go around unless the disaster was very recent or there are very few inhabited locations. I guess it's possible that they move around between sites, but it seems like travel is very dangerous and most people don't do it, and you'd think you'd risk a team not being available in a time-limited circumstance.

Then again, maybe those guys were just what Capital Knot City does.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

OwlFancier posted:

Supposedly the average death rate in the world is about 8 people per year, per 1000 living people.

So 42,000 would be 336 bodies generated per year. So about one trip a day. But I assume they also have a lot of life extending future technology.

Like I mentioned, the stillmother thing does at least establish keeping a brain dead person on life support prevents the formation of a BT, so I expect they very well may have the ability to “hold” dead people until a mass delivery if they desire so only the occasional death outside a hospital would become an “oh poo poo burn now!” issue. Sam probably delivered the President solo out of special respect for her (as well as the appropriate story beat, narratively).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Oops, cut off previous response early.

CJacobs posted:

The MULEs are carrying stun sticks, you can see them in the cutscene. They don't kill the people they hunt, just take their boxes. Now, the Homo Demens who captured Amelie on the other hand...

Ah, not spears then, gotcha. As for Homo Demens, can’t remember if they specifically stated it or not but I suspect that one guy in the intro cutscene who interfered with the corpse delivery to generate the void out was one so yeah, probably all about the mass death there. Well, interface already spoiled the existence of weapons, so makes sense there’d be enemies to use them on. Though speaking of weapons, I’m getting a certain sinking feeling from the last update we’re going to use Sam’s body fluids on BTs (think the shower water vial was labeled “EX grenade” when picked up). Not sure if it’s going to be a really disgusting version of ghostbusting or if they’ll work like the traditional stealth game lure, but I can’t help but suspect they introduced that shower/toilet combo as a way to “reload” the things (no wonder he gets issued Monster drinks). Though maybe this means Sam can distract BTs by spitting. Just wonder how the human enemies would react to them...

CJacobs posted:

Speaking optimistically, there are a few ways stillmothers could be produced that don't require lobotomizing people possibly against their will. It could be a volunteer program, or mothers with terminal illnesses giving their bodies to science, like a freaky future-science organ donor situation. How likely is that? It's iffy, but as there aren't that many BBs it's at least plausible.

This doesn't excuse the UCA treating BBs and stillmothers like disposable tools instead of people, but the truth may not be as perverse as you're expecting at the very least. We'll see in due time.

I doubt they outright kill people (brain death is far more than a lobotomy, and I expect it’s the “dead, but not” thing that makes BBs work) rather than work opportunistically, even without the blatant evil of that you run the risk of screwing up and making a full dead corpse in your city, but the more I think on it the more it seems to have any reasonable supply they have to be breeding them. Disgusting, but we are pretty much a fancy tech post-apocalypse here so perhaps we should be grateful they aren’t eating corpses instead of burning them. But yeah, strangely enough the guy wearing a skull mask and his faction *might* not be completely on the up and up, who knew?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

MadDogMike posted:

(no wonder he gets issued Monster drinks)

He's going to get a machine gun later that uses his kidney stones as bullets.

Edit: VV I've seen a playthrough before, and I'm still not sure that it isn't.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 23, 2020

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Wa11y posted:

Considering Kojima this really sounds like a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wa11y posted:

The most immersive CJacobs LP yet