Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Invictus posted:

unrelated to those, I love the art for Tetravus

it is an absolute nonsense creature and also sucks, but I love it. I also just noticed it's got eyes all over it, which I couldn't make out on the original card because they were too tiny
One of my very kitchen table decks back around 2003 was Tetravus with Forgotten Ancient and Opposition. I would power out both creatures and then sit back (because we played multiplayer a lot); by the time it was my turn again the FA would have north of 10 counters on him, which would turn into 10 tetravites, and then I'd play opposition and be able to tap everyone down. It was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

He never gets mentioned because he only did two cards in Weatherlight and a couple Mountains, but Brian Dufree might have my vote for best MTG artist based on this card alone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Captain Invictus posted:

post your favorite and least favorite MTG artists

Favorites, in order: Aleksi Briclot, Rebecca Guay, Anthony S. Waters

Least: Apart from artists who are generally lovely people, Randy Gallegos is the only one who springs to mind that I don't much care for. I think Robert Bliss is kinda bad, but it's usually somewhat cool looking.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The new Karn art is amazing (and silly) and my only hope is that it's not infinity dollars so I can get a single of it for EDH.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s funny but besides everyone dunking on it, Mark Tedin’s Art is basically the only thing I’m looking forward to about this set anymore lmao

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s funny but besides everyone dunking on it, Mark Tedin’s Art is basically the only thing I’m looking forward to about this set anymore lmao

Masters set, overpriced reprint-only set, what can you do?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It's nice this is an overly priced reprint set as opposed to the overly priced not reprint set they did last year

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

It's nice this is an overly priced reprint set as opposed to the overly priced not reprint set they did last year

Less likely to destroy every constructed format in which it is legal, too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hey cabal therapist was going to have a MAJOR IMPACT and they were super excited about it

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Kev Brockschmidt did the original Verduran Enchantress, which might still be my favorite bit of MtG art.

My other favorites were Rebecca Guay, Kara Foglio, Quentin Hoover, and Seb McKinnon. Oh, and Tony DiTerlizzi.

I'll confess I liked the original red/blue elemental blasts until I found out the artist also did invoke prejudice and is a loving nazi.

Drew Tucker's art I didn't appreciate at the time, but I've come to like the more abstract art over the years compared to competent but forgettable generic fantasy book covers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Back in the 90s I had a Merfolk deck and really dug the art on Merfolk Assassin by Dennis Detwiller.

I am a sucker for art that has a sort of "narrative flow" to it and draws you in to imagine the "story" going on. Who was in the boat? Was this business or personal for this merman?

Even baked in some synergies to get some use out of his weird niche ability.

I follow the artist on Twitter because he's also one of my fave RPG writers, and he recently did a redux version which may be better "technically" excecuted but loses some of the comic-booky charm of the original:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Back in the 90s I had a Merfolk deck and really dug the art on Merfolk Assassin by Dennis Detwiller.

I am a sucker for art that has a sort of "narrative flow" to it and draws you in to imagine the "story" going on. Who was in the boat? Was this business or personal for this merman?

Even baked in some synergies to get some use out of his weird niche ability.

I follow the artist on Twitter because he's also one of my fave RPG writers, and he recently did a redux version which may be better "technically" excecuted but loses some of the comic-booky charm of the original:

did they just totally gently caress up his name as denise detwiler on the original printing or is there some other story there?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Every single card he did in The Dark is credited wrong. :shrug:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bell_ posted:

I'll confess I liked the original red/blue elemental blasts until I found out the artist also did invoke prejudice and is a loving nazi.

Then you’ll be happy to find out he didn’t, and is the completely different person Richard Thomas

e: The Foglios will always be my fave artists; I dunno who I like least

vegetables fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 22, 2020

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I keep expecting that merfolk to hold a bowie knife in their mouth.

Edit: ^^^^^ you're absolutely right. How the gently caress did I get in my head it was by the other guy?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arivia posted:

did they just totally gently caress up his name as denise detwiler on the original printing or is there some other story there?

They hosed up at least a handful of artists credits early on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Tony DiTerlizzi is the best mtg artist of all time

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

an_mutt posted:

Traditional Games › Magic: the Gathering: I learned to gently caress thanks to that card

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this is cool

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Love the art but definitely not the card you want to pull as a box topper.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Tony DiTerlizzi is the best mtg artist of all time

His art really elevated the original Planescape boxed set.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
best: the foglios, chippy, robert bliss, jock, drew tucker, qh, mok

worst: all the ones doing garbage computer marvel movies art i dont know their names

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

As much as I dislike Magics currently art direction and would gladly have the inconsistent but varied art of yore, the problem is just that, art direction. Wizards is telling the artists specifically to make the bland rear end art since they consider it 'their brand'. The artists who aren't doing so currently, namely Seb, get special permission from Wizards to do what they do because they know people like it, but they won't do it enough to where they feel it could dilute the brand. The artists themselves are presumably capable of much more than Wizards is commissioning, like that bland-rear end CGI-as-hell Nissa, that was actually done in oil paints.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

kalvanoo posted:

best: the foglios, chippy, robert bliss, jock, drew tucker, qh, mok

worst: all the ones doing garbage computer marvel movies art i dont know their names
:agreed:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Ron Spencer gets a lot of love in discussions like this and more power to you if that's what floats your boat but I can't stand his style. Everything he illustrates looks like it...glistens. Just makes me uncomfortable.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Wizards somehow making those $100 packs look even worse.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1285992621056262144?s=20

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Have they said that all 40 are equally likely? I wouldn't put it past them to make the chase mythics less frequent.

Called it

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

These are gonna be some real top heavy lotto tickets given the “rares” we’ve seen so far.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it really seems like they are putting out feelers for some enterprising states DA to draw the line for them exactly how far they can go before being regulated as gambling

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
That box topper fuckery is like a Chef's kiss at this point. Amazing.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

https://twitter.com/zbeg/status/1286009040313540608?s=20

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

There is no ring

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:rimshot:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Sickening posted:

That box topper fuckery is like a Chef's kiss at this point. Amazing.

They couldn't gently caress this up worse if they tried.

Did anyone mention Richard Kane Ferguson yet for favorite artist? His Dakkon Blackblade is one of the most iconic characters imo.

Willeh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 22, 2020

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

My current favourite artist is Magali Villeneuve. Older I like Chippy and very old the late Christopher Rush.

My least favourite I never notice because the worst magic art is the bland CG stuff that never grabs my attention.

Also lol at wotc loving up this box topper stuff so hard.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Old magic art is the best, either it was because artists were pretty much allowed to do anything they wanted and the direction wasn't so generic fantasy, or maybe because we weren't so jaded yet and actually looked at the art of the cards as we pictured a horde of ants devouring our opponent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Some Goon posted:

As much as I dislike Magics currently art direction and would gladly have the inconsistent but varied art of yore, the problem is just that, art direction. Wizards is telling the artists specifically to make the bland rear end art since they consider it 'their brand'. The artists who aren't doing so currently, namely Seb, get special permission from Wizards to do what they do because they know people like it, but they won't do it enough to where they feel it could dilute the brand. The artists themselves are presumably capable of much more than Wizards is commissioning, like that bland-rear end CGI-as-hell Nissa, that was actually done in oil paints.

The worst part is that they just did the Anime walkers, the glass walkers, and the absolutely BONKERS comic-book Ikoria alternates which is some of the coolest looking magic cards ever printed. They could go so weird and cool and I would be completely about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Trinisphere and allied filter lands are cool to see in double masters. Might pick them up as singles if the price drops enough.