Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

it is one of the greatest tragedies of american culture that most people would be instantly more afraid of a random black kid in a hoodie than someone who looks like this when gross old dudes wearing suits are responsible for the vast majority of human suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

it is one of the greatest tragedies of american culture that most people would be instantly more afraid of a random black kid in a hoodie than someone who looks like this when gross old dudes wearing suits are responsible for the vast majority of human suffering

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uptime Sinclair posted:

that’s kind of what happened with the west memphis three appeal. ultimately entered alford pleas so they could be sentenced to time served without formally admitting guilt

is that like nolo contendere, where you say "i didn't do it, and i promise not to do it again"?

(joke stolen from somebody writing something about spiro agnew :corsair:)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

prefect posted:

is that like nolo contendere, where you say "i didn't do it, and i promise not to do it again"?

spiro agnew died before i was born

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fart simpson posted:

spiro agnew died before i was born

A famous anagram for Spiro Agnew is "Grow a Penis."

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

prefect posted:

it’s similar but no contest pleas are neutral as to guilt or innocence where alfords maintain innocence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alford plea is "i recognize that you have enough evidence to convict, but i am not admitting that i did it" basically

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
one weird trick

DAs HATE this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
does oj's book count as an alford plea

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

doesn’t getting a pardon mean you admit guilt to the charges and since they’re lawyers they could technically be disbarred anyways tho

the threshold for disbarment is apparently insanely high, like forging signatures in a submission to the court is apparently not enough to rate that. they might get some lower disciplinary action though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Midjack posted:

the threshold for disbarment is apparently insanely high, like forging signatures in a submission to the court is apparently not enough to rate that. they might get some lower disciplinary action though.
yeah, you can be restricted for some set amount of time, or have to practice under supervision, or a lot of other lesser slaps. generally the lawyer gatekeeper orgs will not foreverially deprive the livelihood of the lawyers they let through the gate already. funny that

generally they’d have to make everyone in the profession look extremely bad, show a pattern of self-service, and show a pattern of inexcusably ripping off clients

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
jack thompson got disbarred but only after he spent two decades not only using the courts to abuse lots of people but hurling abuse at the bar association itself. that's what it takes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
let them continue to be lawyers but they can't say the word "objection" for five years lmao

just suck all the fun out of it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

jack thompson got disbarred but only after he spent two decades not only using the courts to abuse lots of people but hurling abuse at the bar association itself. that's what it takes
excellent example

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
daily reminder that covid ain't no joke

had it in april and still feel like i can't breathe correctly all the time. also have lovely gi symptoms.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hoverwife says that her hospital is at around 20% of covid patients, and that they're out of negative pressure rooms for them now

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

prefect posted:

A famous anagram for Spiro Agnew is "Grow a Penis."

i sometimes wish wikipedia kept the in popular culture section if only for these tidbits

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 21, 2020

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

if you had to pick a single person whos responsible for the current impossibly toxic political environment, it's Newt fuckin Gingrich

yeah

Jonny 290 posted:

it's pretty provable that america is not on its deathbed because newt gingrich hasn't filed for divorce from it yet

blammo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

multiple earthquakes and a tsunami warning last night means no-one in my house slept well

kiddo is crabby, I’m tired and can’t focus

rip this day

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
current garden status: goddamn hornworms got on my jalapeno plants and ate drat near half of each plant overnight. Peppers are untouched though

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 22, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i saw japanese beetles for the first time in five years the other day. hope they don’t go after the apples.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

President Beep posted:

i saw japanese beetles for the first time in five years the other day. hope they don’t go after the apples.

this summer is the first time we’ve been contending w Japanese beetles. they have been around the hood for years but never in our yard (afaik) until the last two weeks

been pluckin’ and drownin’ a handful each day

gently caress AROUND AND FIND OUT

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

this summer is the first time we’ve been contending w Japanese beetles. they have been around the hood for years but never in our yard (afaik) until the last two weeks

been pluckin’ and drownin’ a handful each day

gently caress AROUND AND FIND OUT

way back when my dad first encountered them when i was a kid he bought one of those bag traps and it filled right up with the little SOBs. he decides to incinerate them in the fire pit in the back yard but instead of just tossing the bag in he figured he could reuse it by simply dumping the bugs into the fire. he opens the bag, turns it over, but instead of falling into the fire what must’ve been a hundred of the bugs just flew away to freedom lol.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

way back when my dad first encountered them when i was a kid he bought one of those bag traps and it filled right up with the little SOBs. he decides to incinerate them in the fire pit in the back yard but instead of just tossing the bag in he figured he could reuse it by simply dumping the bugs into the fire. he opens the bag, turns it over, but instead of falling into the fire what must’ve been a hundred of the bugs just flew away to freedom lol.
loving owned lol. man that’s purestrain dad hubris

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

he was really hotheaded when i was a kid and this one time he was replacing the toilet in the bathroom and he and my mom started arguing about something so in a donald duck rage he yanks the old toilet out and throws it into the back of his truck to take it to the dump and does this massive burnout after backing out of the driveway. problem was he forgot to close the tailgate so the old shitter comes skittering out of the bed and shatters into a thousand pieces upon hitting the road. it was hilarious.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

President Beep posted:

he was really hotheaded when i was a kid and this one time he was replacing the toilet in the bathroom and he and my mom started arguing about something so in a donald duck rage he yanks the old toilet out and throws it into the back of his truck to take it to the dump and does this massive burnout after backing out of the driveway. problem was he forgot to close the tailgate so the old shitter comes skittering out of the bed and shatters into a thousand pieces upon hitting the road. it was hilarious.

Are you telling me he lost his poo poo?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
superman - rocketed from a dying planet
spider man - bitten by a radioactive spider
beep -

President Beep posted:

the old shitter comes skittering out of the bed and shatters into a thousand pieces upon hitting the road

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

he yanks the old toilet out and throws it into the back of his truck to take it to the dump

surely it would be easier to take the dump to the toilet??

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

the story of your birth

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

another time he was doing this hillbilly installation of a new front door and something wasn’t going right so he goes and gets his loving chainsaw and fires it up in the kitchen to finish cutting the door hole. i can still remember seeing two stroke exhaust blasting the suspended ceiling tiles.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my dad has no clue wtf he's doing with most things, and whenever he has to fix something the strategy is "do it as quickly as possible so i can get back to whatever i was farting around doing before," so more often than not he ends up breaking things worse. one time he tried to fix the garage door by poking it a bunch with a screwdriver and the extremely high-tension spring shot off into the wall and took his thumb with it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

inspiration for finger family lyrics revealed

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

vanilla slimfast posted:

this summer is the first time we’ve been contending w Japanese beetles.

President Beep posted:

way back when my dad first encountered them when i was a kid he bought one of those bag traps

bag-a-bug works and is very good. set it up on its own stake and arm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we have a bird feeder that we just put on the planter by the patio and we have so many bird friends now

bird feeders are great. the bird party every day makes my life better

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

every time we fill up our bird feeder some jerk deer will inevitably come along and hoover all the seeds out :mad:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

every time we fill up our bird feeder some jerk deer will inevitably come along and hoover all the seeds out :mad:

birds can fly, deer can not

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

gotta put that poo poo up high and squirrel proof it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

we have a bird feeder that we just put on the planter by the patio and we have so many bird friends now

bird feeders are great. the bird party every day makes my life better

cormier_rogan_anik.png

jk bird feeders are real neat, get you a regional bird guide and bird pals

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

superman - rocketed from a dying planet
spider man - bitten by a radioactive spider
beep -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only pest bugs i get in my apartment are silverfish, so i maintain several spiders in various corners and they keep the population down quite effectively.