Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

I can see killing only Undine or Toriel, but only papyrus? How did that happen?

I was playing the game at the behest of my at-the-time gf, and when I tried to kill Toriel she got upset. I was going to kill Toriel anyways, but somehow despite Toriel actively trying to not kill you I died to her anyway (I then did not die a single time for the remainder of the run lol). After the reload I went ahead and spared her, but killed the next npc I had a chance to (Papyrus), because I didn't want to do a pacifist run my first time through and was curious to see how the game would change depending on who I killed (I thought it was a more complicated branching path determined by killed characters, rather than the rather simple "killing any puts you on neutral and gives you a slightly different ending and maybe a couple different lines of dialogue here and there"). I ended up sparing all the characters past Papyrus because I thought they were fun enough that I didn't really want to murder them (my then gf walked me through saving undine because she really didn't want undine to die)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i still haven't done anything but pacifist runs, but that says nothing about me because i still strip-mined that game's content to the bone

jevil was the first time undertale's combat made me break a sweat, especially because i was foolish enough to use a keyboard

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Genocide run is still the most fascinatingly written piece of media I've ever experienced; there's always been neat meta-commentary games and whatnot if you know where to look, but very few that involve you, the player, and your ever-so-human decisions and what they say about you, and more importantly, how you feel about them.
Deltarune is interesting in that, while it obviously continues the 'pacifism vs violence' themes, violence is much more of a viable option this time around. Obviously the game is far from complete, and any long-standing ramifications are yet to be seen, but it's neat to be able to go in swinging this time and have it be 'okay' in a sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The Genocide run is still the most fascinatingly written piece of media I've ever experienced; there's always been neat meta-commentary games and whatnot if you know where to look, but very few that involve you, the player, and your ever-so-human decisions and what they say about you, and more importantly, how you feel about them.
Deltarune is interesting in that, while it obviously continues the 'pacifism vs violence' themes, violence is much more of a viable option this time around. Obviously the game is far from complete, and any long-standing ramifications are yet to be seen, but it's neat to be able to go in swinging this time and have it be 'okay' in a sense.

Of course, that might change in the full version but it is interesting none the less. I’m curious if the complete game will feature some means of being able to level up your characters (or at least boost your HP) though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i still haven't done anything but pacifist runs, but that says nothing about me because i still strip-mined that game's content to the bone

jevil was the first time undertale's combat made me break a sweat, especially because i was foolish enough to use a keyboard

You also gave the internet the one piece of Undertale fan media worth a drat, so I think you get a pass on that one.

e: well that and Scarodactyl's videos, but I digress.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I will never experience the genocide run first hand, because doing so involves hurting Papyrus. Some day I might go for the Sans Papyrus becomes king ending, or a genocide run that gets aborted in Snowdin, but I will never hurt my boney friend.

Nyaa posted:

Although I understand Toby is going for shock value, but it’s kinda cheap to set the actual ‘death point’ of Toriel and Asgore at around 30% of their hp bar. Every other monster in the game surrenders at 10% health.

I have seen people aiming for them to surrender and planned to try something else if they don’t at near death.

That's the whole point. You can't get Toriel down to critical health because you can't beat her into surrendering, and if you try to do so, you wind up killing her.

I wound up killing her, getting mocked by Flowey, reloading and figuring out how to not kill her, and getting mocked by Flowey again. I'm not sure how you could make the encounter any more organic, since that's how it plays out for anyone who neither avoids the attack option from the start nor refuses to reload.

Now, the Asgore fight I ended up looking up because I had learned my lesson from Toriel and him deleting the Mercy button wasn't enough to convince me he couldn't be spared.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zereth posted:

I had literally never even used the attack command my entire playthrough because I'd played the demo and accidentally killed Toriel and all that. I think it had to get up to "more times than you can count" before I tried actually fighting Asgore.

I didn't play the demo, but the actual store trailer for the game touts how it's a big deal you don't have to kill enemies. The reason I bought the game is because I heard you can beat it without fighting enemies so when I played it I did just that and got the pacifist ending. I was surprised to learn the other endings were so different, or that the combat mechanics got more complex or tricky. I've never had the heart to do a genocide or even mixed run, if a game doesn't make me kill something, I like not to.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

nine-gear crow posted:

You also gave the internet the one piece of Undertale fan media worth a drat, so I think you get a pass on that one.

e: well that and Scarodactyl's videos, but I digress.

does sans being in smash bros count as fan media

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One of the interesting things about Undertale is how different the experience is if you played the demo and mulled over it and poked at it for two years, as opposed to starting straight in with the full game. The entire ruins area really is self contained as a mini-game, and more immediately encourages reloading and restarting to try and get different results (and to watch Flowey gently caress up the instruction manual, a feature I sorely missed in the full game). For better or worse, it's very different to kill Toriel accidentally and reach the end of the demo, than it is to kill Toriel and still have the entire rest of the game open to you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

I was playing the game at the behest of my at-the-time gf, and when I tried to kill Toriel she got upset. I was going to kill Toriel anyways, but somehow despite Toriel actively trying to not kill you I died to her anyway
the thing I love about accidentally dying to toriel is that she is mortified that she accidentally killed you and if you're watching her there's like a 1 frame long shot of her realizing what she's just done and covering her mouth with her hands before you die

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Captain Invictus posted:

the thing I love about accidentally dying to toriel is that she is mortified that she accidentally killed you and if you're watching her there's like a 1 frame long shot of her realizing what she's just done and covering her mouth with her hands before you die

undertale is good

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Undertale is good and its fans are a friendly supportive bunch.

I have never watched a stream and loving lol if you did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

goblin week posted:

Undertale is good and its fans are a friendly supportive bunch.

Ok boomer.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

goblin week posted:

the LaurenTheFlute stream was good :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ChickenWing posted:

It's sad we never got to see Etika watch the Sans Mii Gunner costume reveal :(

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly this is my only annoying Undertale "insistence," that killing Toriel (maybe because you don't really expect her to die in what's presented as a JRPG "prove your strength" story fight), then taking Flowey's "subtle advice" to redo it, tells you a lot up front about exactly what kind of game you're playing and why it's amazing.

I'm so, so glad that I went into Undertale largely blind (I backed the Kickstarter and promptly forgot everything about it beyond "cute game, you don't have to kill" all the way up until release) and had that experience organically. I either missed talking to the frog who tells you you might have to spare even when the name isn't yellow, or failed to connect the dots, and immediately ragequit and reset when my attempt to whittle Toriel down to yellow failed.

The extra Talk dialog following that spooked my poo poo, but somehow didn't prepare me for the prospect of a character knowing what I'd done. That callout from Flowey pretty much set the tone for my entire playthrough and put me very much on the lookout for any further Meta poo poo, and I just kind of vibrate unhappily whenever somebody starts Undertale and doesn't get that experience. It really is the best possible intro to the game, and it hurts me in my soul that the very thing that makes it so great also makes it missable.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

I didn't know this was a thing. I've just watched it and man, fresh tears all over again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Streams are good if you manage to find one with a very proactive mod team who purges backseating on sight.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Captain Invictus posted:

I like to think in this timeline she absorbs the player's soul, goes off to demand the other 6 from asgore and opens the gate, then goes back to being a hermit in the ruins while everyone else leaves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Iymarra posted:

I didn't know this was a thing. I've just watched it and man, fresh tears all over again.

there was one japanese stream on nicovideo (don't have the link unfortunately) where the guy was just full-on sobbing tenderly during the Comfort scene

strong men destroyed by like twenty pixels in primary colors

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
There was one streamer I enjoyed watching play Undertale a couple years ago but I cannot reccomend it now because he was among those outed as abusers during the recent dump of allegations. There was also Etika's stream, which is hard to watch now for very different reasons.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TheArchimage posted:

There was also Etika's stream, which is hard to watch now for very different reasons.

Hard but worth watching imo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ikanreed posted:

I like to think in this timeline she absorbs the player's soul, goes off to demand the other 6 from asgore and opens the gate, then goes back to being a hermit in the ruins while everyone else leaves.
She doesn't have time to because you reload your save.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Voidburger and StrawHatNo streams of Undertale were both fun IMO.

Voidburger's is very good because Chip Cheezum was still at the top of his game at giving hints that weren't quite just ruining the fun of figuring things out. I'm not salty about it, even he was like 'I used to be a pro and now I'm just complete clownshoes at this' in future streams of other games.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So looking forward to his upcoming LP of FF7R, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love Dodger's playthrough, though the voices she choose might not be people's cup of tea.

She's also one that has one of the most on point mod teams though when it comes to backseating and spoilers

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Iymarra posted:

It helps that A) Lauren let's people read the text and doesn't give voice and B) is so utterly sincere.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I watched Rich Evans play it and he's the canon Sans voice afaic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the game grumps LPs of it are really good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I've watched 4 playthroughs? A friend decided to stream their playthrough, saw Super Best Friends, Game Grumps, and the GDQ run. (Which granted is a bit different.)

Needless to say, the Asriel Fight/Hopes and Dreams got me every time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1232804561833930754
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1290025440602501120

Not NEW news (the first tweet was just retweeted from February) but it’s game-related?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Doesn't seem like Toby is burning out or anything. Really motivated in fact.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1290025440602501120

toby

don't look outside

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Deltarune has a theme of “your choices don’t matter” and definitely backpedals a bit from Undertale’s very positive view of pacifism. Obviously we’re too far out to say for certain, but I imagine the game won’t have routes like its predecessor and instead your actions just add a different flavor to the ending.

Like at the end, the King is overthrown either way, but being violent or not determines how the citizens see you, and if you can stick around or have to leave before they realize you’re there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think some of her lines change on reload, too?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gametal covered Chaos King, I was listening to the World Revolving cover they did at work and was wondering if he might eventually do Chaos King, and lo and behold I get home and it's right there waiting for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAnv_3k2BK8&hd=1

pretty drat great! I still prefer his World Revolving cover though, probably because WR is a better track overall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmchilnWtmE&hd=1

Discendo Vox posted:

I think some of her lines change on reload, too?
a lot of lines change on reload/second runs based on specific criteria, it wouldn't surprise me at all

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

Deltarune has a theme of “your choices don’t matter” and definitely backpedals a bit from Undertale’s very positive view of pacifism. Obviously we’re too far out to say for certain, but I imagine the game won’t have routes like its predecessor and instead your actions just add a different flavor to the ending.

Like at the end, the King is overthrown either way, but being violent or not determines how the citizens see you, and if you can stick around or have to leave before they realize you’re there.

So really your choices do matter, just in more subtle ways, which is also a good lesson.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/gamenohanashi/status/1301028017389449218
Apparently gonna be some Undertale announcement with the upcoming Famitsu issue?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Captain Invictus posted:

gametal covered Chaos King, I was listening to the World Revolving cover they did at work and was wondering if he might eventually do Chaos King, and lo and behold I get home and it's right there waiting for me

pretty drat great! I still prefer his World Revolving cover though, probably because WR is a better track overall

a lot of lines change on reload/second runs based on specific criteria, it wouldn't surprise me at all

I disagree about World Revolving being better overall. Having listened to each of them for hours, Chaos King is way more interesting to listen to compared to World Revolving. World Revolving IMO is more carried by the memorability of Jevil's boss fight rather than its own merits, unlike Megalovania and Sans's fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The world revolving is very good (and I didn't fight Jevil) but does benefit from having an extra layer on top, even memes do the job.
(I do kind of wonder if penumbra phantasm could reemerge in some future project, or if that's too inextricably linked to Homestuck.)