Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Mulderman posted:

New series on Mangaplus.

Monster #8
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007603

Made by Naoya Matsumoto who was an assistant to the mangaka who did Psyren.

Great art and a really neat concept.
I suggest checking it out!

This one's going on my watch list.

Suddenly, tiger. And of course the heroine rides it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Mulderman posted:

New series on Mangaplus.

Monster #8

Man, I'm way behind on this franchise. Do I need to have read Monster 2-7 first?

edit: Ok, I went ahead and read it. Hell of a genre shift from the original, but this is promising!

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 22, 2020

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Huh what a coincidence, my roommate was asking me for a fun time travel based manga last night and I told him to check out Psyren.

I’m definitely going to see what this one is all about! I really really liked Psyren.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This Shaman King stuff is kind of neat; I've never read any of that, so I might watch this anime remake that's apparently being done. It's supposed to be good, right?

This thread also reminds me of Kekkaishi, another manga that I haven't read that is apparently good (and I love Birdmen, so I'll probably like it too).

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I thought the Planetes premise of Monster #8 was very interesting but it's obviously going to change immediately into being about fighting the monsters and I don't know how long I'll really stick around for that. But at least I got to read one good chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This Shaman King stuff is kind of neat; I've never read any of that, so I might watch this anime remake that's apparently being done. It's supposed to be good, right?

This thread also reminds me of Kekkaishi, another manga that I haven't read that is apparently good (and I love Birdmen, so I'll probably like it too).

kekkaishi is really good and you should def check it out

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/MangaMogura/status/1286419135631695875

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Boco_T posted:

I thought the Planetes premise of Monster #8 was very interesting but it's obviously going to change immediately into being about fighting the monsters and I don't know how long I'll really stick around for that. But at least I got to read one good chapter.

Yeah I like the concept of Kaiju Clean-up Crew, I'll be a bit sad if it just turns into monster of the week shonen fights or protag trying oh so hard to get into <elite squad> but he just isn't cut out for it but he'll keep trying!!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just need to post, I read a few chapters of demon slayer, decided to switch to anime only. It's so well done, I'm eating this show up and can't get over how great it looks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If anyone is reading the author of Claymore's manga Soukyuu no Ariadne I just need to say that in the latest chapter they clearly just watched A New Hope and had a burning desire to draw things from Tatooine.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

e: wrong thread

Herbotron fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 24, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ethiser posted:

If anyone is reading the author of Claymore's manga Soukyuu no Ariadne I just need to say that in the latest chapter they clearly just watched A New Hope and had a burning desire to draw things from Tatooine.

:D You weren't joking. A sandcrawler that's totally not the same because this one is being pulled and Banthas.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm enjoying Ariadne a lot. Lululola is obviously the best, but all the cast being straightforward is great.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Ariadne is a lot of fun. The whole idea of bunch of super-powered idiot kids exploring a world is nifty, if not overly original, and allows the author to switch genres and settings pretty rapidly, which is a lot of fun. It has also nice comedic timing and every kid is kinda great in their own way. However I can't really love Ariadne as much as I would like to, because the fights are completele poo poo and that's a pretty big flaw for a adventure/battle shonen. There are a few ok ones, especially at the beginning, but unfortunately they devolve into everyone shooting identical looking bolts and beams of energy at each other pretty quickly. The result is that its really hard to figure out what's actually happening, what's actually happening often lacks any momentum or impact and the whole mess just looks bad. Which is pretty surprising, because Claymore had pretty great fights, but oh well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Even claymore had that problem of lacking clear momentum and movement. But the authors strong areas have always been their characterization, not their art. They dont exaggerate movement as much as you are supposed to in action scenes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Claymore's biggest problem was that there a bunch of characters, and it was hard to keep track of them because a lot of them looked similar. I remember there were also two similar characters that also had names that were similar too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, Ariadne is a lot of fun. The whole idea of bunch of super-powered idiot kids exploring a world is nifty, if not overly original, and allows the author to switch genres and settings pretty rapidly, which is a lot of fun. It has also nice comedic timing and every kid is kinda great in their own way. However I can't really love Ariadne as much as I would like to, because the fights are completele poo poo and that's a pretty big flaw for a adventure/battle shonen. There are a few ok ones, especially at the beginning, but unfortunately they devolve into everyone shooting identical looking bolts and beams of energy at each other pretty quickly. The result is that its really hard to figure out what's actually happening, what's actually happening often lacks any momentum or impact and the whole mess just looks bad. Which is pretty surprising, because Claymore had pretty great fights, but oh well.

Those are exactly my thoughts as well.
Ariadne is fantastic when they're just idiot kids on an adventure.
I love the world, I love the way they marvel at world as they discover it. I love our idiot heroes. But the fights are so devoid of tension or flow. Like what exactly is the Gungnir blast? He spoiled us with his descriptions of the spiral blast.
But even then, like you said everything is a generic explosion and people walk it off no problem.

I have good hopes for Hazan though, he is awesome.
As is Lululola and her eyepatch of power.

At least Nagi doesn't quite do the 5 same faces anymore

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think most of the flaws of ariadne's fights could be corrected in a halfway decent anime. something as simple as tinting all the different white energy blasts would work wonders. however, it is an ambitious fantasy series and the anime adaptations of those tend to be either cheap or non-existent.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So nobody died in SHY despite Pepesha's dukes of hazard reenactment. It is however time for one of my favorite cliche's in japanese media just coming in 2nd to Schrodinger's cat.

Multi-track drifting anyone?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Claymore's biggest problem was that there a bunch of characters, and it was hard to keep track of them because a lot of them looked similar. I remember there were also two similar characters that also had names that were similar too.

Claymore was such a weird series. I remember writing a review after I finished it a few months back, but never got around to posting the review.

Anyway, yes, most of the Claymore characters are blonde young women with silver eyes who carry swords. The artist does a reasonably good job of making them distinct within those constraints while maintaining a realistic style, but inevitably readers will get characters mixed up sometimes.

And the main character is named Clare, and there is another character, who is also a Claymore and is basically considered a replacement for her in-universe, named Clarice. Clarice isn't blonde, though, because the process of turning her into a Claymore didn't work properly.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 28, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Silver2195 posted:

Claymore was such a weird series. I remember writing a review after I finished it a few months back, but never got around to posting the review.

Anyway, yes, most of the Claymore characters are blonde young women with silver eyes who carry swords. The artist does a reasonably good job of making them distinct within those constraints while maintaining a realistic style, but inevitably readers will get characters mixed up sometimes.

And the main character is named Clare, and there is another character, who is also a Claymore and is basically considered a replacement for her in-universe, named Clarice. Clarice isn't blonde, though, because the process of turning her into a Claymore didn't work properly.

Nah, it wasn't Clarice, it was two women who specialized in scouting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Found the unfinished review post lying around on my computer:

me, apparently posted:

As one might expect of a manga that began in 2001 but didn’t end until 2014, this manga has a foot each in two different camps in many ways. Take its approach to character focus, for example. Claymore starts out as an example of the older style of action-adventure manga that one might call “ronin shonen,” like Fist of the North Star and Dororo, where the focus is on a single stoic itinerant hero and an audience-identification kid sidekick. Later on it becomes an overcrowded ensemble story, as modern battle shonen generally do; it doesn’t help that most of the characters are blonde young women with swords, although the author does make an admirable effort to give them distinct hairstyles.

In terms of tone, however, Claymore is very much in a single camp: it is a remarkably serious (or self-serious) manga, with no comedic interludes. The only comparable battle shonen I can think of in this regard is Attack on Titan, and even Attack on Titan occasionally pokes fun at itself (or at least at its characters) in ways Claymore never really does. [Postscript: I have since read the first few chapters of Demon Slayer, and the tone of it seemed more consistently serious than even Claymore. But this is definitely unusual.]

One thing I wasn’t expecting about this manga was the deeply weird sexual undercurrents. The thinly-veiled sexual sadism and/or masochism of many of Claymore’s villains and antiheros is common enough in battle shonen, of course (I’m thinking particularly of Bleach and Hunter x Hunter), but Claymore takes it farther than most; there’s a really eyebrow-raising scene where a male monster pierces a Claymore in her stomach with his thick, round tongue. On the less disturbing and more amusing side, we’re told that the male Claymores tended to succumb to their inner youmas because they exhausted themselves by eagerly releasing their full power too soon. Perhaps strangest of all is the quasi-romantic dynamic between Clare and Raki (whose exact age is unstated, but he seems to be in his early teens). He initially seems to have a one-sided crush on Clare, whom he apparently reminds of her dead younger brother. Then we get a parting scene in which Clare rather abruptly kisses Raki on the lips. Perhaps the author regretted this; he wisely did not reunite Clare and Raki until after a seven-year time skip.

I’ve gotten remarkably far into a review of a battle manga without discussing the actual fights, haven’t I? They’re generally good. On the gory side, and the constant cutting off and re-attaching of limbs makes it hard not to think of Monty Python’s Black Knight...

I apparently left the review unfinished here. I actually liked Claymore, but that didn't really come through in what I wrote of the review so far, did it? I actually think the serious tone makes for an interesting change of pace in a magazine where series generally contain a certain amount of dumb comedy by default. And it has some genuinely great plot twists; there's a bit towards the end that was basically copied by The Promised Neverland towards its end, where the male villains are completely surprised when the women they'd treated as pawns decide to turn against them en masse, and also a sometimes-criticized (but perfectly sensible, in my opinion) revelation that the Claymores, youmas, Awakened Ones, and other youma-derived beings are experiments to create biological weapons for use in a conflict on other continents involving various nations, some of which are run by dragons...and the protagonists never meet the dragons, let alone try to fight them, because why would they?

Claymore's actual biggest flaw is the "overcrowded ensemble story" part toward the end, where there's too many characters, and they're almost all involved in endless fight scenes as the power levels escalate. But even at its worst, there's a basic level of sense-making to Claymore's fights; it never becomes as arbitrary as late Bleach, or even as confusing as some of the fights in the later parts of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. What makes it work is a system where most characters have one of a handful of basic power sets that even overlap to some extent (the Claymore set, the youma set, and the Awakened One set), but individuals differ considerably in which powers they specialize in and their applications of them. This doesn't allow for the degree of creativity that something like Jojo does, but it allows for coherent fights involving fairly large groups (something most shonen manga don't even really attempt).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Angel Densetsu was some good poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Angel Densetsu was some good poo poo.

The Flashman style method of a protag who is nothing like everyone else's perceptions of him in his own head despite actually being a lot closer then he realizes is a great story telling device that gets used sparingly enough it never gets boring.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Mulderman posted:

New series on Mangaplus.

Monster #8

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Not sure I really like the direction the manga went.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Chapter 2 was fantastic, but number 3 was kinda meh and the nonchalant 3 month gap kinda threw me for loop and disappointed me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly i'm just glad he got his beautiful face back

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't really mind the 3 month gap much but it's definitely going in a much more generic shonen direction than the first chapter's impression. I foresee lots of wacky characters in this minor arc that's the test, then some more wacky ones introduced when he gets accepted into the academy or whatever, then maybe we'll get some major antagonist reveal that'll lurk in the background for most of the time as he goes through training to become a monster hunter or whatever. Sprinkle in with various scenes of him trying not to be revealed as a monster but still needs to use the power to perform well etc.

I'm hoping it won't be that predictable but I already have like, seen the entire manga in my head.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm ready for a more light hearted, goofier Attack On Titan :shrug:

As long as it doesn't trot out the lowest of fruits on the generic posse or gags, i'm on board. Chapter 2 had a good grip on the juxtaposition of gravitas and comedy, let's just hope it wasn't an accident or lightning in a bottle.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

honestly i'm just glad he got his beautiful face back

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's fine and I like it well enough so far (though the mc is kind of annoying when going for comedy) but yea it's starting to feel a bit generic

also the the girl still thinking about mc at all makes way less sense when she's in her late 20s and he's over 30 than it would for the normal teenage protags in this kind of series

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Viz just got the first 5 chapters of Kaiju No. 8.

So another two chapters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Big fan of the buddy comedy energy in this one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I like it just because the main character is so goofy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I like it just because the main character is so goofy.

Kafka Hibino: "I can totally do this"
also Kafka Habino: "I totally can't do this"

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love how it was his knowledge of Kaiju and not his super powers that allowed him to stand out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Is there any on going baseball manga?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Jujutsu Kaisen :kingsley:
Whatever is happening with these fake memories I really want an explanation because it's getting out of control here. Even with Sukune in control it still keeps activating

Mashle continues to value hard work and honest effort.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, what the gently caress even is Ghostwriter anymore? At first I thought it might be speeding up due to looming cancelation, but I think it just has really weird pacing. It really isn't fond of building up any kind of emotional tension.

Roboco continues being great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, what the gently caress even is Ghostwriter anymore? At first I thought it might be speeding up due to looming cancelation, but I think it just has really weird pacing. It really isn't fond of building up any kind of emotional tension.

Roboco continues being great though.

it really does

The Roboco Cannon had me dying

Brought To You By posted:

Mashle continues to value hard work and honest effort.

I like how this ends a whole lot.