Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

ijyt posted:

Is the 9th Edition stuff shipping this weekend or being delivered? Curious to see the full changes in the rules.

If purchased and picking up directly from GW or an lgs, it will be ready this weekend.

My box has been sitting in my local GW for almost an entire week now, but we aren't allowed to pick up yet because of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If not picking up from a store, it gets shipped out friday?

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Kitchner posted:

A infantry standing in front of a tank doesn't block line of sight really, as you will normally be able to see parts of the tank through the unit (e.g. You can see the tank through the legs, the gaps between the models etc).

A tank in front of infantry could theoretically block line of sight (maybe this is what you meant). In which case the benefit is that you can't target the unit. You wouldn't gain any other sort of benefit from the tank being there.

The only time you get benefits from cover like ruins etc other than blocking LoS and making you unable to see units are basically when units are in terrain, which obviously can't apply to models standing behind a tank.

There's also a weird interaction right now where RAW if there's a forest between my artillery piece that ignores LoS and the unit I'm shooting the dense cover rule means I get -1 to hit even though I'm clearly shooting over the forest rather than through it.

Thank you! This is a clear and good explanation. In Killteam if you can't see all of a model you have -1 to hit. In full 40k my understanding is that you can either hit or you can't, and terrain (such as your trees example) may give you -1. Units themselves can never give a -1 by being 'in the way'.

I have been playing 1000 pt games with my friends on TTS because of Coronavirus and it's worked pretty well but hoo boy can I confirm screening characters is hard as Sororitas... Celestine so badly wants to move 12" and is forced to go at pace of slowest instead.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Canada here but my pre orders from GW itself get shipped Saturday and show up Monday

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 22, 2020

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
For the UK they try to ship things out so you get it day of release. Though obviously this can gently caress up either way, getting it early or late.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

For the admech pre-orders, my stuff was shipped out Friday. GW in the U.S. is using FedEx who is currently a dumpster fire for delivering stuff on time, so its going to be different for everyone depending on where you live.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So two tank Commanders parked next to each other can't be targeted unless they're the closest unit?

That's pretty nice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SerCypher posted:

So two tank Commanders parked next to each other can't be targeted unless they're the closest unit?

That's pretty nice.

They have more than nine wounds, so this is incorrect.

It's Daemon Princes that are irritatingly untargetable like that.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

They have more than nine wounds, so this is incorrect.

It's Daemon Princes that are irritatingly untargetable like that.

Ah, ok, but I could use a screen of Armored sentinels then? With the half damage strategem they could be very annoying to blast off the board.

Edit I'm dumb, I Tank Commanders have more than 9 wounds lol.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 22, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I said come in! posted:

For the admech pre-orders, my stuff was shipped out Friday. GW in the U.S. is using FedEx who is currently a dumpster fire for delivering stuff on time, so its going to be different for everyone depending on where you live.

I forgot I had an account when I ordered so IDK how to check on shipping status. Oh well, i'll just kinda wait patiently because it's not like i'm gonna play any games very soon and I only bought the books.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

ijyt posted:

Is the 9th Edition stuff shipping this weekend or being delivered? Curious to see the full changes in the rules.

My box was delivered today surprisingly. Had all the little preorder trinkets in the box as well.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SerCypher posted:

Ah, ok, but I could use a screen of Armored sentinels then? With the half damage strategem they could be very annoying to blast off the board.

Edit I'm dumb, I Tank Commanders have more than 9 wounds lol.

You can do this with any infantry character though! That's not nothing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1285991154186690561

Looks like they've already started to tease the multipart variants of the Indomitus units. Considering their release backlog I'm not too surprised.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I forgot I had an account when I ordered so IDK how to check on shipping status. Oh well, i'll just kinda wait patiently because it's not like i'm gonna play any games very soon and I only bought the books.

They should have sent you an email letting your know if it’s been shipped and it’ll have tracking details.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

You'll get an e-mail with the tracking number.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I said come in! posted:

You'll get an e-mail with the tracking number.

Sounds like it hasn't shipped then. Cool.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Serdain posted:

Thank you! This is a clear and good explanation. In Killteam if you can't see all of a model you have -1 to hit. In full 40k my understanding is that you can either hit or you can't, and terrain (such as your trees example) may give you -1. Units themselves can never give a -1 by being 'in the way'.

I have been playing 1000 pt games with my friends on TTS because of Coronavirus and it's worked pretty well but hoo boy can I confirm screening characters is hard as Sororitas... Celestine so badly wants to move 12" and is forced to go at pace of slowest instead.

Yeah it's best to basically try and compartmentalise KT rules from 40K rules, the game plays entirely different.

The terrain rules are a bit complex in terms of vs KT, because KT is true line of sight and very generous about what makes a model obscured. 40K is a bit more abstract, and terrain does different things.

For example ruins are light cover and obscuring, meaning you can see units in it, they get +1 to their saves when you shoot them, and you can't see through it (unless you are in the terrain, because otherwise you'd be blind right?). Forests on the other hand are both obscuring and dense cover, which means units in the cover is -1 to hit, and you can't see through the forest.

When it comes to screening with units, it's not so abstract, it's literally "can I see any part of that model" and if your tank is big enough and your unit small enough the answer may be "no". Example: You could easily disembark 5 terminators behind a land raider and you wouldn't be able to see them.

For Celestine specifically she's screwed over a bit by the fact that the screening unit needs more than 2 models and the Geminae Superior are 2 models max. If I was keen on using Celestine I'd have her with a 5 woman squad of Zephyrim as well as the 2 Geminae Superior.

Everyone moves 12" and in order to target Celestine you need to kill 3 Zephyrim which without any other tricks will be 3+/5++, then you would have to shoot at Celestine but her Geminae Superior can dive in front of the bullets for her.

I suspect though that Sisters will have to be less about foot slogging and go back to rhinos to help advance quickly and sit on objectives. These rhinos would screen for Celestine and the Geminae as you advance up the board.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sounds like it hasn't shipped then. Cool.

Yeah, it won't in the U.S. until Friday. GW doesn't ship here on weekends, and they currently dont offer overnight shipping here because of the pandemic.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got an email with a tracking number today. It’ll probably go out with the FedEx pickup in the afternoon. Given GW US is close to the hub I figure I’ll get the box on Friday.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

OhDearGodNo posted:

I got an email with a tracking number today. It’ll probably go out with the FedEx pickup in the afternoon. Given GW US is close to the hub I figure I’ll get the box on Friday.

My box got shipped Monday and arrived today if that gives you an estimate on how fast they are shipping.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The first of the MTO boxes is still probably at a minimum a month off, right?

I mean I know they said up to 120 days and all so I'm not impatient, I just don't know what GW's normal supply chain looks like. I assume the minis are made in China and then shipped out by the boatful? Or does GW actually do production in the UK by some 21st century late-capitalist miracle?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

OhDearGodNo posted:

I got my tracking number yesterday but when I drill down a little more it says it's not expected to even ship until Friday. It's also going via FedEx SmartPost so I figure I'll be lucky to see this thing before August.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

I mean I know they said up to 120 days and all so I'm not impatient, I just don't know what GW's normal supply chain looks like. I assume the minis are made in China and then shipped out by the boatful? Or does GW actually do production in the UK by some 21st century late-capitalist miracle?

The factory is in Nottingham right near the actual HQ, everything is made there. The MTO is up to 120 days but they say that in the "good times" too. For context I ordered the MTO librarian terminator which said 120 days when they did that like during April or whatever and I emailed customer service and they said they had some stock but they've had to make more so I'll get it but they don't really know when. So I wouldn't place any bets on when it will arrive.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

The plastic is all cast in the UK, the boxes and books are printed in china.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

While I am waiting for GW to get Sororitas boxes back in stock so I can buy too many of them, I decided to try out a scheme on some of the older sculpts I had lurking around. I don't really want to paint a lot of red and black because I've done that for other projects, so I started with the Argent Shroud and went off in a variation:

I thought this scheme looks pretty good and distinctive, but thought I'd drop it here for any input people have. As a couple notes, I'm buying some new metallics as mine (especially the gold) are really old and not flowing well, which isn't helping my finish. I'm probably not going to continue the hair streak shown in the rightmost, I don't like the way it came out. My lovely face skills have be considering going all-in on helmets, but I kind of want to use some of the better expressions and variants in the new boxes. Guess I'll have to practice a lot.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Booley posted:

The plastic is all cast in the UK, the boxes and books are printed in china.

Its worth noting that they have on occasion used more local printing when they ran out of stock and needed stuff on shorter order. IIRC it happened with the indexes near the start of 8th.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mountain Lightning posted:

My box was delivered today surprisingly. Had all the little preorder trinkets in the box as well.

Oh neat, that's great. Looking forward to seeing people rip into the stuff and see how things play.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I might have made a mistake in ordering basically my entire army alongside the airbrush -

3 Plagueburst Crawlers
Know No Fear
Noxious Blightbringer
2 Boxes of Plague Marines
Tallyman
Foul Blightspawn
Demon Prince

Now I've got a mountain of boxes :ohdear: I suppose I should start assembling now while waiting for the brush to arrive next week?

Normally I just assemble things completely and then paint, but I often see pictures of people painting arms, pauldrons etc. separately on little alligator clips. I want to try giving that a shot this time around because I'm always unreasonably bothered knowing that there are random bits of unreachable gray plastic on my minis -- is there anything one needs to know about painting before assembling? Or is it really just as simple as "paint in then glue it you idiot"?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I played Warmachine a couple of times and did some 15mm ancients a decade ago. However, it's a pain in the dick trying to find people to play niche games against but there are always people playing 40k everywhere I've been.

I hate how expensive Games Workshop stuff is but I think some of the models look cool. I have considered just picking up a box set here and there and painting stuff up. If I get together a decent army in the process, so much the better. However, everything I read says Tau suck but I think they have super cool looking models. So I am conflicted about spending a ton of money on plastic dudes that are going to be poo poo and unfun to play games with if COVID ever goes away.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

The game isn't any more expensive than warmachine and just play what you want. Doesn't sound like you're financially interested in chancing the meta.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Hekk posted:

I played Warmachine a couple of times and did some 15mm ancients a decade ago. However, it's a pain in the dick trying to find people to play niche games against but there are always people playing 40k everywhere I've been.

I hate how expensive Games Workshop stuff is but I think some of the models look cool. I have considered just picking up a box set here and there and painting stuff up. If I get together a decent army in the process, so much the better. However, everything I read says Tau suck but I think they have super cool looking models. So I am conflicted about spending a ton of money on plastic dudes that are going to be poo poo and unfun to play games with if COVID ever goes away.

The hobby is vastly more expensive if you feel you need to buy armies to chase the meta all the time and you need to play at tournament levels of 2,000 points.

The new crusade rules are a great fluffy way to get an army started and drive it to grow a bit, assuming you can find others wanting to play that too. If everyone refuses to play anything other than 2,000 points, then you're best off putting together a 2,000 point list that sort of does stuff you like and just play it come what may. It is expensive to go from nothing to 2,000 points though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kitchner posted:

The hobby is vastly more expensive if you feel you need to buy armies to chase the meta all the time and you need to play at tournament levels of 2,000 points.

That's true. Like apparently a meta army for GSC has nine Ridgerunners and while I like them well enough, I absolutely don't want nine.

At worst you end up like the guy who sold his 3000 points of Iron Hands on eBay when they got their light nerf to that battle buddies build or whatever it was called.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also in hating GW kit equipment decision hating, I am really annoyed that the GK Terminator/Paladin kit comes with only a single Daemonhammer, despite the fact that every Paladin leader will have one, and you need to use the kit to make the apothacary, who will have one, and if you want a brother captain with a hammer, you will need to use this kit.

I bought a kit and used my hammer to make an Inquisitor in terminator armour. He looks very cool but now I'm having to scour bits sites to find daemonhammers, which of course are all sold out because every kit gives you like 10 different tilt shields but only one daemonhammer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hekk posted:

The Tau were fine in 8th and should be fine in the 9th. If you want to play in tournaments you'll probably have to lean on their really good units but against most people it'll come down to your play rather than any inherent weakness in your faction of choice.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

My impression is the Tau are a very strong shooty army but their defensive castle is the best way to play them and it sucks to play with or against.

If you just want to play and have fun, buy them and paint them and don’t worry about chasing the competitive scene. Play them in a way that seems fun to you and know that the army will be very good for at least a while after its codex refreshes.

Be warned that after you’ve done a few Tau you’ll start thinking about maybe starting an imperium army...then a chaos army...and oh orc conversions would be fun...

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Dawgstar posted:

That's true. Like apparently a meta army for GSC has nine Ridgerunners and while I like them well enough, I absolutely don't want nine.

At worst you end up like the guy who sold his 3000 points of Iron Hands on eBay when they got their light nerf to that battle buddies build or whatever it was called.

I've done a thing where I've picked a relatively compact faction to be my Fightin' Army, with new models and good box sets and filled it out with all the options. Gives me one army I can follow the meta with and run whatever build is popular and I feel like doing, and everything else beyond that is just whatever I feel like painting from whatever faction I feel like.

Bonus points if the faction is thicc and chunky with no protruding antennae or really fragile pointy bits. I went with Death Guard but for 9th Necrons are going to be the boys.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

If TTS is too close to :filez: let me know and i'll edit this.

I've been looking at building interesting and fair tables in TTS in line with the Goonhammer guide at https://www.goonhammer.com/placing-terrain-in-40k-how-to-set-up-a-table/

I've gone for the below (No Man's Land. The middle white line is the middle, the next one out is the edge of deployment and the next one is the full size of the map), and while it feels pretty easy to avoid a turn 1 tank loss with all the obscuring cover, i'm worried that overall it's too tight for tanks to properly play around.

If anyone with more experience with creating good tables has any advice, i'd appreciate how to make things fair!

Our forced-isolation games so far have had Astra Militarum, Adeptas Sororitas, Aeldari (Ulthwe) and Thousand Sons.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Serdain posted:

I've been looking at building interesting and fair tables in TTS in line with the Goonhammer guide at https://www.goonhammer.com/placing-terrain-in-40k-how-to-set-up-a-table/

I've gone for the below (No Man's Land. The middle white line is the middle, the next one out is the edge of deployment and the next one is the full size of the map), and while it feels pretty easy to avoid a turn 1 tank loss with all the obscuring cover, i'm worried that overall it's too tight for tanks to properly play around.

If anyone with more experience with creating good tables has any advice, i'd appreciate how to make things fair!

Our forced-isolation games so far have had Astra Militarum, Adeptas Sororitas, Aeldari (Ulthwe) and Thousand Sons.

You definitely need terrain in your deployment zones.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Serdain posted:

Any reason you're trying to reinvent the wheel here? There are some pretty good tables out there like this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2130266547

That one has like 4-5 different pre-made terrain setups, dice rollers, counters, buttons for all the deployment types, and other neat but kinda pointless stuff like an action cam. It's not at the new board size yet but you could just draw off the new edge and move terrain around a bit if you want to be fully 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Good Citizen posted:

Any reason you're trying to reinvent the wheel here? There are some pretty good tables out there like this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2130266547

That one has like 4-5 different pre-made terrain setups, dice rollers, counters, buttons for all the deployment types, and other neat but kinda pointless stuff like an action cam. It's not at the new board size yet but you could just draw off the new edge and move terrain around a bit if you want to be fully 9th.

Only because we're playing 1000 pts (48x30) and it seems like the only size anyone played in 8th was 2000 pts (48x72?)

It ends up being so much work trying to balance terrain into half the available space that I thought it might be easier to just start again