Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have a thing with Sleep Paralysis, where 100% of the time it happens, my brain thinks something Five Nights At Freddy' related is going on, like if I dont get to my (already closed) door and close it Bonnie's going to bust in and kill me, but naturally I cant move. It's gotten to the point where I can recognize when I'm sleep paralyzed and force myself to stand up so it fucks off. It's hard as poo poo to do but my unyielding rage is more powerful than any dipshit gland.

Speaking of which, one time I was lying barely awake thinking about red pandas when I felt a sensation like when you get startled and you feel a lightness behind your heart a second before the adrenaline hits your bloodstream. In this case, a second later WHAM sleep paralysis. Like wait until I'm asleep you rear end in a top hat what's the point of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

DicktheCat posted:

Actually, it's just me. I've been living in your closet for like a year now, because rent is too damned high. I only do it when you're starting to snore, though.

Stay safe, poverty poster.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there like an opposite condition to sleep paralysis? Like... sleep freaking out?

Where you wake up and all the sheets are pulled up and off the bed, and the top mattress is half slid off the bed.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

This is violence

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there like an opposite condition to sleep paralysis? Like... sleep freaking out?

Where you wake up and all the sheets are pulled up and off the bed, and the top mattress is half slid off the bed.

That's alcoholism

e: sleep alcoholism

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's alcoholism

e: sleep alcoholism

But I don't drink.

Am I sleep-drinking?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

yes

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's called having a healthy relationship with yourself

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sounds like poltergeists op.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Danaru posted:

what's the point of this

Your distant ancestor only survived because this kept his dumb dreaming rear end from falling right out of a tree lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sounds like poltergeists op.

Guess I'll have to hire Zak Bagans to come over and watch me while I sleep.

I hope I don't have a Bughuul problem.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

See that right there is your problem. A go-getter like me sees it as a Bughuul opportunity.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

yeah I get something like that going to sleep, like "my feet are literally hundreds of meters away from my head"

sleeping is weird

memes

Are there- are there more Silmarillion memes?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I have that Exploding Head Syndrome and it's annoying as gently caress. I'll be just about to fall asleep and I hear a loud rear end nose, like my kid fell out of her bed up in the room above us. Then it always takes a while to get settled back in.

And one of my co-workers came up to me the other day and said, "The past few days, I've been dreaming that I wake up, and I can't move. I can't even talk. It feels so real!"

I said, "That sounds like sleep paralysis."

And he said, "That's an actual thing??"

I probably should have let him keep thinking it was a weird recurring dream.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I keep on having this reoccurring dream, where Tobey Maguire watches me eat cream. Tobey asks me, can he have the rest. Then he proceeds to pour it on his chest. Atop the tallest building of a cityscape scene, suspended from a construction beam, he stares into my soul, watching me as I lick the bowl. Now he's naked in my grandma's bath, I start to cry, but he just laughs. Gazing hungrily into my eyes, he removes the hair from his inner thighs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phy posted:

I got a couple.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

RandomFerret posted:

Guess what it's time for?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

I have a thing with Sleep Paralysis, where 100% of the time it happens, my brain thinks something Five Nights At Freddy' related is going on, like if I dont get to my (already closed) door and close it Bonnie's going to bust in and kill me, but naturally I cant move. It's gotten to the point where I can recognize when I'm sleep paralyzed and force myself to stand up so it fucks off. It's hard as poo poo to do but my unyielding rage is more powerful than any dipshit gland.

Speaking of which, one time I was lying barely awake thinking about red pandas when I felt a sensation like when you get startled and you feel a lightness behind your heart a second before the adrenaline hits your bloodstream. In this case, a second later WHAM sleep paralysis. Like wait until I'm asleep you rear end in a top hat what's the point of this

You know lucid dreaming? That thing where you're dreaming but you're aware of it so you can control your dream?

No, not like inception, that movie isn't factually accurate.

Recognizing you're dreaming can be trained but usually it's a crapload of work for very little reward. The common way is to train your brain to recognize things that are 'off' in dreams which can make you lucid halfway through.
There's a much more difficult, advanced technique where you can lucid dream by somehow staying aware all the way from wakefulness directly into the dream state, so you can be lucid from the start. It's called WILD (wake-induced lucid dreaming), in contrast to techniques such as MILD (mnemonic-induced lucid dreaming).

From your description, I'm pretty sure you're about 90% there to mastering that advanced technique.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Keyboard goop 2020 edition (and not :nms:).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haha, this happens to me all the time and I had no idea it was called that. That owns.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Danaru posted:

Are you actually Scott Cawthorn? I remember him describing having pretty much these dreams when he was developing the games.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Phy posted:

yes, but their URLs are too long for this input form

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have non-REM sleep parasomnias (I sleep walk and sleep talk, but I'm not acting out a dream) and it sucks. Maybe the opposite of sleep paralysis, sleep wandering around doing disorganized things. When I wake up in the middle of them, it's ookily spookily scary. Now I take medicine that knocks me out all the way at night.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Data Graham posted:

Teams shows everybody else on the call what's on your desktop rather than your camera?

Or were you presenting and browsing the forums at the same time?

Or did it reflect a backwards dickbutt on your face like in a hacker movie

I was browsing SA on my iPad while on a call on my laptop. I burst out laughing at a very inappropriate moment.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

monkeytennis posted:

I was browsing SA on my iPad while on a call on my laptop. I burst out laughing at a very inappropriate moment.

To be fair, no one expects to laugh at the meme thread.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Phy posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Silmarillionmemes/comments/fnq2zr/master_of_fate_cough_cough/

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/wombatstuff/status/1286219793058746368

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You guys are very bad at sleeping it would appear

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

WrenP-Complete posted:

I have non-REM sleep parasomnias (I sleep walk and sleep talk, but I'm not acting out a dream) and it sucks. Maybe the opposite of sleep paralysis, sleep wandering around doing disorganized things. When I wake up in the middle of them, it's ookily spookily scary. Now I take medicine that knocks me out all the way at night.

You should check out some of Mike Birbiglia's stuff because he has it as well and speaks very frankly about how it has affected him and what he has to do about it.

The American Chopper guys didn't age well but at least they're more chill

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Might just be an optical illusion, but I prefer to believe ol dude is packing terrifying heat.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Mocaofuwa/status/1286158392210456577

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Carbon dioxide posted:

No, not like inception, that movie isn't factually accurate.

*my evil grin grows wider; my plan has worked*

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

last night I had a dream in which I was working retail in a clothing store inside my childhood home. there were like fifty employees and no customers. we got called into the break room which was where the garage was supposed to be, and this big bearded assistant manager started ranting and raving about how we "can't talk about gay marriage because we don't support gay marriage at this company!"

I piped up and said "what are you talking about? this is embarrassing." He proceeded to get in my face and yell incoherent poo poo until he just started pointing at himself with his thumb and repeating "I'M PRIDE! I'M PRIDE! WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT??" I didn't respond and the room went quiet and the meeting ended.

I went out to the front yard to call my wife and tell her about this crazy guy in the meeting, but she wasn't having any of it. She just kept telling me to go out to the pool in the back yard (my childhood home did not have a pool) because her friend left his sunglasses out there on a towel and he really needed them.

I went to the back yard, and sure enough there was a pool and some sunglasses on a towel on the ground. I picked up the sunglasses, and turned around and there was a skunk right behind me. I started scrambling away from the skunk and trying to get in the back door, but there was a loving lawn chair hooked to the belt loop in the rear end of my pants and I couldn't fit through the door.

The skunk sprayed me, and I finally got inside to find that everyone was in there waiting on me and they started laughing because they all knew there was a skunk out there, and my wife was in on it. They all hated me because I made a scene at the meeting. Then I woke up.

Now my wife keeps yelling "I'M PRIDE!" at me

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

I piped up and said "what are you talking about? this is embarrassing." He proceeded to get in my face and yell incoherent poo poo until he just started pointing at himself with his thumb and repeating "I'M PRIDE! I'M PRIDE! WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT??" I didn't respond and the room went quiet and the meeting ended.

I mean, it's more coherent than most arguments against gay marriage, I'll give him that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yee Caw

stay safe crowboy

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whybird posted:

I mean, it's more coherent than most arguments against gay marriage, I'll give him that.

I'M PRIDE!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yee-caw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bart get out I'm pride.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Jul 23, 2020