Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there a plugin that recreates either the Soundblaster or Adlib-like early DOS and Windows sound fonts? Or was that FM synth with sampling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You can fake the OPL sound with any FM synth if you stick to sine waves and two-operator algorithms (you might also need to bitcrush a bit to mimic their low-res DACs.) VOPM simulates the OPM chip, which was similar and used in a lot of 80s and 90s arcade machines as well as some budget synths. There's also some VSTs that simulate the Genesis chip, but I don't remember what they're called offhand. I don't know of any VSTs that simulate the OPL directly, although there's probably one out there based on AdPlug.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

You can fake the OPL sound with any FM synth if you stick to sine waves and two-operator algorithms (you might also need to bitcrush a bit to mimic their low-res DACs.) VOPM simulates the OPM chip, which was similar and used in a lot of 80s and 90s arcade machines as well as some budget synths. There's also some VSTs that simulate the Genesis chip, but I don't remember what they're called offhand. I don't know of any VSTs that simulate the OPL directly, although there's probably one out there based on AdPlug.

Yeah, I remember the Genesis one just thought maybe someone had also made one that perfectly encapsulated the PC sound scene from around the same time.

PC speaker is just a square wave, no release, no volume/velocity changes right?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Some clever bastards figured out ways to trick it into doing other things, like playing really crunchy samples. But for the most part, yeah, just the simple square wave.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

https://www.discodsp.com/opl/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think this is exactly what I'm looking for, but will also be fiddling around with the stuff I already have.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
FYI there is a free version of what I think is the same VST: https://bsutherland.github.io/JuceOPLVSTi/

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a plugin that recreates either the Soundblaster or Adlib-like early DOS and Windows sound fonts? Or was that FM synth with sampling?

sforzando is another option if you want to use sound fonts. OPL-3 and other popular options.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

:siren: Iris 2 is $10 right now! :siren:

Get on this poo poo, it's incredible!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

:siren: Iris 2 is $10 right now! :siren:

Get on this poo poo, it's incredible!

Nice -- thanks for the heads up. At $10 I feel like I can't afford not to try it.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Picked up Iris on a lark, never really done audio stuff before it just seemed neat. I cut up some short samples from a longer wav file in audacity and imported them but they sound more or less nothing like what the source file sounds like - really choppy and the playback speed is different (depends on the pitch of the key). Any tips for getting them back to where they started? Is this just an unrealistic expectation? I'm just playing around here so I'm not sure what is up. Having fun either way though, thanks for the rec :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The March Hare posted:

Picked up Iris on a lark, never really done audio stuff before it just seemed neat. I cut up some short samples from a longer wav file in audacity and imported them but they sound more or less nothing like what the source file sounds like - really choppy and the playback speed is different (depends on the pitch of the key). Any tips for getting them back to where they started? Is this just an unrealistic expectation? I'm just playing around here so I'm not sure what is up. Having fun either way though, thanks for the rec :)

I'm not in front of Iris right now, but there should be an option to have the pitch not change whatsoever. Also, when you import a sample, I believe it'll figure out the root note, and mark that in blue on the displayed keyboard within the plugin. Playing that key should allow your sample to play back as it originally sounded.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any recommendations for Latin and African percussion? Mainly looking for clave and wood sounds, they don't need to be super realistic. Cheapish sample packs are fine, even just recommendations on drum machines to sample off YouTube would be good lol.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
NI's West Africa (Kontakt, free Kontakt Player too) has more than you can shake a stick at, its 89 or less with a voucher.
I've actually had pretty good results just using the Smart Recorder app on my phone making percussion sounds out of banging a zippo on a glass table etc, as long as your recording location is quiet it shouldnt be too hard to roll your own interesting organic percussion with wooden spoons etc

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

I'm not in front of Iris right now, but there should be an option to have the pitch not change whatsoever. Also, when you import a sample, I believe it'll figure out the root note, and mark that in blue on the displayed keyboard within the plugin. Playing that key should allow your sample to play back as it originally sounded.

It was not this but I appreciate it. If anyone else runs into a similar sounding thing and is wondering, the fix for me was to increase my buffer size. It had defaulted to 8 buffers @ 1024. Bumping either up fixed it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The March Hare posted:

It was not this but I appreciate it. If anyone else runs into a similar sounding thing and is wondering, the fix for me was to increase my buffer size. It had defaulted to 8 buffers @ 1024. Bumping either up fixed it.

Oh, sorry, I was more answering about the pitch thing, but yes, changing your buffer will absolutely fix your issue, which is known as 'jitter'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Someone on a Reaper FB group said that if you go to Plugin Boutique and buy a synth (like Hybrid 3) for $5, you get access to the Reason Lite suite of plugins.

Has anyone done this? Maybe I have to look further, but I couldn't find anything about that.

Edit: Wow, nm, it's right here and I'm bad at searching.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The Reason Lite Rack Plugin shows up in the Free Products section of your account page. Took me a while to find it.

I was going to suggest Iris 2 to you if you were looking for something to put in your cart, but you were the one who first posted it here, whoops.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got the plugin pack, but haven't messed around with it too much. The saturation and reverb units are solid, though, especially for free.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember back in the day (:allears:) doing full time composing and sound design, and using Reason, then version 6; if these are indeed those plugins, just outside of Reason, then I'll be more than happy. poo poo was great. I was doing some audio on the side for that year's goon game dev challenge, and used Reason 100%.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not immediately seeing what iris 2 is good for other than being a sampler that auto detects the root note of samples. What am I missing?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If Reason Lite gets you the Combinator/associated patches, you'll be getting my favorite piano I've ever played: the concert grand piano. I've tried other piano plugins and just never liked any as much as that one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

d0grent posted:

I'm not immediately seeing what iris 2 is good for other than being a sampler that auto detects the root note of samples. What am I missing?

You can stack up to four samples, you have extremely good control over the playback behaviour of each one, but best of all, the filtering is done via a simplified painting interface.

I am underselling that last point btw. That's the defining feature, and it is incredible. Definitely unmatched by the competition.

Rageaholic posted:

If Reason Lite gets you the Combinator/associated patches, you'll be getting my favorite piano I've ever played: the concert grand piano. I've tried other piano plugins and just never liked any as much as that one.

Even better than Pianoteq? That's my goto, since it's not sampled at all, just generated (generated VERY WELL, mind you) and so you can dynamically change the sound of the piano in virtually every way. And I'm still only running v5.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 22, 2020

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

You can stack up to four samples, you have extremely good control over the playback behaviour of each one, but best of all, the filtering is done via a simplified painting interface.

I am underselling that last point btw. That's the defining feature, and it is incredible. Definitely unmatched by the competition.

Yeah that really is the defining feature and it's quite neat. It's not something that will ever take the place of Kontakt or Omnisphere, but there's basically nothing else in its particular niche. It is far more suited to weird noises than anything else, but if you're a weird-noise-needer it's aces.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pianoteq's upright piano with the wear parameter around 3-4 got me real nostalgic :3: I don't think I've ever seen a sampled piano with round robin on long notes (there's plenty with sampled staccatos), Pianoteq feels more like an instrument because the sound keeps changing under your fingers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Even better than Pianoteq? That's my goto, since it's not sampled at all, just generated (generated VERY WELL, mind you) and so you can dynamically change the sound of the piano in virtually every way. And I'm still only running v5.
I haven't tried that one yet but I'll have to look out for it!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Joke's on me for buying a couple cheap Kontakt instruments with just Kontakt Player. I get 15 minutes of editing and playback before having to restart Reaper. That's enough for me to use it for programmed midi lines, but sucks for exploring an instrument.

Does the full version go on sale regularly? $400 is really steep.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

If you buy a Kontakt Player-compatible instrument you can buy a 'crossgrade' version of Kontakt for a lot cheaper, and then halved during the sales. I paid about 100$ I think.

All the NI things are expensive so it seems like a great idea to supersize your order to the Komplete ecosystem.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Once or twice a year, usually the end and middle of the year. Unfortunate timing on your part, sorry to say.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Unfortunately you just missed the summer sale, by going through a slightly odd upgrade path (I got some hardware and the lowest tier of paid for Komplete, then realised gently caress it I want more and upgraded to standard) I effectively got a free Maschine Mikro if you compare it to what Komplete costs normally.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I hosed up there, but I can wait for the next sale to upgrade. I'll look into the cross grade path, too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My M32 arrived earlier, it complements the Maschine Mikro really well and shock horror actually integrates well with Cubase as a controller too.
I'm no pianist so I'm not fussed about minikeys, and having that little bit of extra range down to F is nice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

My M32 arrived earlier, it complements the Maschine Mikro really well and shock horror actually integrates well with Cubase as a controller too.
I'm no pianist so I'm not fussed about minikeys, and having that little bit of extra range down to F is nice.

I apologize for the derail but I've been meaning to ask for quite a while now... What's your avatar from?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Just wanted to say, lmao Antares Auto-Tune is $400, what a stupid expensive price.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

excellent bird guy posted:

Just wanted to say, lmao Antares Auto-Tune is $400, what a stupid expensive price.

Can confirm ReaTune works fine for the tone deaf hobbyist.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's used by everybody now because It's part of pop vocal sound now and is used as a sort of effect. Even for those that can sing.

And then there are people like me that can't sing and use it for that reason lol.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
In my experience Melodyne works a lot better if you're trying to get natural-sounding results, but it's stupid expensive too. The full version, anyway.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

I apologize for the derail but I've been meaning to ask for quite a while now... What's your avatar from?

It's a screengrab of 10K I took from Z-Nation ages ago--I can't exactly remember the context of why he looks look like that now

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Here's a list of 14 free autotune plugins. The free version of Grallion 2 has some neat spatial features in it, but I haven't played around with it enough to give it a recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

In my experience Melodyne works a lot better if you're trying to get natural-sounding results, but it's stupid expensive too. The full version, anyway.

Melodyne 5 just came out and it's fantastic. They have a lite version for $249 that still has all the functionality you need for vocal editing, but yeah the full version is pretty steep at $699.