Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I know I've said this a lot recently, but just had another absurd run that relied on sirens. Holy crap are they good now that their incant was doubled in strength from the patch. All of a sudden they can be reliably online only a few turns into a fight, and then quickly scale up to heavy unit killing levels, and then boss killing levels if you can reliably cast ~3-5 spells a turn. Definitely helps if you get multiattack on them, but you only need to get that on one and then duplicate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

The big creature that gains spikes on heal is almost as good as the champion for this and is imo the best banner unit in the game,

Unless something has drastically changed, the best banner unit in the game is the Umbra guy who gains lifesteal on Gorge. Get that guy to 31 health and it can potentially solo kill Seraph.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I'd disagree. Thorned Hollow can also solo Seraph with sufficient support, but it can also be a sweeper, and its support doesn't take up space on a floor.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Still that guy who splits into more of himself imo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I wasn't impressed by Legion of Wax until I got a holdover intent on death with it. If you've got that, yeah, you've won your run.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Thinking about regen can be tricky because unlike damage which benefits linearly incremental regen matters so much more the higher the EXISTING regen is on a unit. Adding one regen gives you 1 regen, but 3 regen actually restores 6 health, 4 restores 10, etc., building off the previous stack.

On boss fights it's even more important because the longer you can keep the tank alive the more turns your back line has to attack. Int his case when you have more regen than the boss is doing damage every single point of regen adds an entire turn to the fight allowing your entire line to do damage, frostbite to tick, etc. This results in a massive increase in how much damage you can do before your line on that level is wiped out.

Graphed some examples below assuming a 60 health tank against a 10 damage boss, alternating boss hits and regen. With zero regen you obviously die after 6 hits. Adding a single Wildwood Sap to take you to 5 extends your tank's life 2 turns, giving two more turns to do damage. Going to 10 gets you up to about 11 turns, and then beyond 10 you're out-healing the boss damage so you stick at 60 for five turns before starting to decline, pushing you out to about 17 turns. Every 1 regen after that adds a full turn to how long your tank lasts. Thus stack a high regen number and you basically stall the boss for as long as you can out-regen his damage, and beyond that you still massively prolong the tank's life.

edit: it's worth noting that things like sweep can make this more complicated, but it still keeps your tank alive, which is why stacking regen on a thorns unit can carry entire games.

https://imgur.com/a/NZzjduU

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 21, 2020

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

I know I've said this a lot recently, but just had another absurd run that relied on sirens. Holy crap are they good now that their incant was doubled in strength from the patch. All of a sudden they can be reliably online only a few turns into a fight, and then quickly scale up to heavy unit killing levels, and then boss killing levels if you can reliably cast ~3-5 spells a turn. Definitely helps if you get multiattack on them, but you only need to get that on one and then duplicate it.

This is accurate! My most recent run had a bottom floor that was two multi-attack sirens and an endless frostbite shark blocker with a thin deck of 0-1 cost spells. Nobody made it off the bottom floor from level 5 onward.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

heckyeahpathy posted:

This is accurate! My most recent run had a bottom floor that was two multi-attack sirens and an endless frostbite shark blocker with a thin deck of 0-1 cost spells. Nobody made it off the bottom floor from level 5 onward.

Yeah, even a change small as +1/+1 has turned her from a wasted pick to a beast.

I wish some of the incant buffs from the shop were better. Armor 1 or rage 1 are nigh useless unless you have the plus stack artifacts, both of which I think are hellhorn specific. Also, it sucks that there never feels like a reason to take incant shark over frostbite shark - he just doesn’t do enough damage.

I finally beat cov 25 though with new Stygian though. Lodestone totem + frost shark + sweep/spell/cost champ + incant siren was clutch already, but railhammer giving me enough space to add a frost totem meant I was sapping, freezing, and scaling 5-6 times every turn. Add in a sap or two, and even cov25 seraph never got a single attack he was so neutered.

Even at 3 cost, a lodestone totem with a single health upgrade can drat near anesthetize a floor.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Armor shark can be ok if all you need is a tank. But you need some synergy to make it work- I think frost shark is sort of the same in that regard. If you also get the double incant relic and an armor lodestone... mwah

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Seems a bit rude to have a daily challenge where you can’t heal and be awoken with the regen starter cards and the heal = damage x 10 as your bonus cards.......

I take it back, this challenge is hilarious

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 22, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

got my first win with the candles with a pretty fun setup...

I have never found a great use for imps before and it turns out remnant letting you buy burnout upgrades for them is exactly what they need. Combine with endless and I was able to have rector flicker tank the normies by giving him armor every turn. Then duplicate the imp because why not throw that on the second floor too, and with the hellhorned artifact to give free ember after you play 2 units in a turn, I was able to play my entire hand every single turn

fitting for MVP Imp to get the kill on seraph :)

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 22, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

Seems a bit rude to have a daily challenge where you can’t heal and be awoken with the regen starter cards and the heal = damage x 10 as your bonus cards.......

I take it back, this challenge is hilarious

Yeah, was kinda worried at first on this one, but things just got more and more silly as it went. Hellhorn champ ended with over 4500 attack when Seraph finally went into battle mode.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I've been hard stuck on covenant 1 for quite a while now and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I always get blown out by the stealth 8 boss and seraph having more HP than I can reasonably handle.

I usually play stygian/awoken and try to have tethys stack frostbite with an awoken spiked unit tanking the hits in front. I feel like this should work for most bosses but I think I'm missing something fundamental about the game and I don't know where to look for help

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

How are you buying time for the spikes and frostbite to do work? With Stygian it’s generally an invoke tank or sap and awoken almost always healing (wildwood sap mvp). Without buying time you can’t do the dmg.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Share some of your runs with the link the game generates for you, might help to show us what you're doing

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

neosloth posted:

I've been hard stuck on covenant 1 for quite a while now and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I always get blown out by the stealth 8 boss and seraph having more HP than I can reasonably handle.

I usually play stygian/awoken and try to have tethys stack frostbite with an awoken spiked unit tanking the hits in front. I feel like this should work for most bosses but I think I'm missing something fundamental about the game and I don't know where to look for help

For bosses, the big trick is that they do a certain amount of damage each round of combat. If your tank can survive that damage, then you will win with no issues.

For the stealth 8 boss, the boss does ~13 damage per hit (might be less on covenant 1?). If you can get 20 stacks of regen on your spike tank, then you can take all the hits with no issues. Seraph does 3 hits of 10 damage each, so you'll need more like 30 stacks of regen to tank that sort of damage.

As for getting that much regen, doublestack helps a lot. Even something simple like a doublestack holdover regeneration (your starting green card) that you copy once will get you 4 regen per turn on your tanking unit at the cost of 2 energy per turn. You'll also massively grow the spike stacks, and if you have a siren behind the awoken, it'll passively get stronger as you cast spells too. If you can get better cards for regen, like the 5 regen consume card, you can stack regen even faster and more effectively.

That all being said, regeneration is hardly the only way to deal with bosses, it's just an incredibly convenient tool for the awoken due to the amount of support they have for it. After all, clans like the hellhorned and stygian have virtually no healing options at all, and they still take seraph down regularly. Overwhelming damage works too - I've had runs where my hellhorned champion did over 1,000 damage, which means I only need my tanking unit to take 3-4 rounds of attacks from seraph. Frostbite can certainly contribute on the overwhelming damage side of things, especially if you get hoarfrost effigy to double frostbite stacks.

Edit: For an overall strategy, your goal is to find an absurd combination of cards/units and run with it. You get the option to duplicate and upgrade cards, and often you're relying on one or two key units or cards to reinforce whatever powerful gimmick your deck has.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

neosloth posted:

Rejuvenation maybe? If you collect wildwood saps and similar cards you get get rejuvenation on the spike tank up to 30 or so which means that each turn of combat they'll heal all the damage that seraph does. Even if you only hit 25 that should still let tethys frost seraph to death.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I think I might be underrating regen effects. I'll try to focus more on that and see if that helps, thank you.

dyzzy posted:

Share some of your runs with the link the game generates for you, might help to show us what you're doing
This is the last run I did and it is only slightly more sloppy than what I usually do

monstertrain://runresult/0f97f673-6ff7-40f8-828d-1b584b5df886

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Based on the chat here I just handily beat covenant 9 with two incant sirens stacked behind an awoken hollow (getting the +1 creature upgrade slots artifact helped)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

neosloth posted:

I think I might be underrating regen effects. I'll try to focus more on that and see if that helps, thank you.

This is the last run I did and it is only slightly more sloppy than what I usually do

Taking a look at your run, and you have some decisions that were probably less than ideal.

You have three tanking units (two guards of the unnamed, one thorned hollow), each of which requires spells cast on them or their floor, as they have either incant or on heal abilities. This means that you're not focusing on making one unit strong, but spreading things out overmuch. In addition, one of the guards has endless, which is fine, but really means you didn't need the second guard.

You have one offensive unit, the siren of the sea, and while it's a fantastic unit, you put endless on it. Sirens need multistrike or something else to boost their offense. If you're worried about early survivability, then get a +25 health upgrade on them.

Your spells are okay, but none of them are upgraded yet. Overall you only have three total upgrades and three artifacts. I'll play through the run and see if I can show you what it looks like for me at that point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Endless is ok on tanks (not great but it can work depending on the rest of your deck) good on stuff like imps and eggs and generally bad on DPS.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it’s neat you can do that :)

Do all roguelikes in general have features like this these days?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

neosloth posted:

Here's my run at your run (I abandoned the run after winning the Hidden Assault fight):

monstertrain://runresult/b271a3be-ed09-4ae1-8413-00ed1f37bec2

Long story short is that I took different units and fewer units. I also took the icicle as my starting relic, as I love having my cards freeze, especially because you were offered three offering cards in your starter deck.

Your unit upgrades offered in this run were kind of garbage, but a Large Spikes vinemother was actually really good for this run because it gave me lots of spells to spam to buff up the siren. I set up a wildwood sap to not consume, which gave me lots of regen stacks (I had 26 when the boss of the Hidden Assault showed up), and I doublestacked Awake, with the goal of making it holdover later on. I also set up engraft to be free, with the goal of making that holdover as well if I had the option.

The Hidden Assault fight offered me Restoring Retreat, and my goal before fighting seraph was to get multistrike on the siren, duplicate it, and then stack up two sirens and the awoken on one floor. I picked up a wildwood tome for Tethys so that I could have her wipe out all of the trash as a sweeping unit (I went for sweep spell weakness, then frostbite on her).

As for how I played the fights, I stacked the awoken hollow and the siren of the sea on the top floor, and then played all of my spells on them, especially with the goal of stacking regen. Tethys went on the middle floor with the Vinemother and would pick off some of the low HP units (unless she died to spikes). I didn't sweat it if she died though - her only purpose was to exist and delay long enough for the top floor to get beefy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That run freakin sucked. good lord I hate stygian.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
monstertrain://runresult/bb32182a-7e2d-4bef-9f3b-fd098598f38c

I did a full run on this with a different take, I would normally pick icicle but wanted to start the run like you did.

Going for a cute wombo combo deck almost cost me the run to crystalcloak, I had a decent core roster of units but didn't have enough upgrades or spellpower to finish her off before she took a big chunk out of the pyre. A start like this where you are given offering cards doesn't necessarily mean you should try to make discard cards a thing-- you might not see enough synergy cards in the draft. Fortunately this run had one 0 cost cycle card and a siren's call which made it work.

After Fel, I knew I had to find good unit upgrades so I slam picked the route with a unit shop- lo and behold, multistrike for the siren and +hp for the shark. And a conduit upgrade for Tethys meant that I could spam my entire hand every turn! The cherry on top was a double incant relic right before Seraph which made me happy enough to just float the remaining 565 gold and start the fight.

How it ended:

Fight strategy: early on, put as much meat in front of Tethys as possible and use the spell weakness to clean up any units that make it to the 3rd floor. After finding sirens and the shark and the lodestone, I made the middle floor the focus and would place an extra siren on top so that they could be descended into the back of the line later on. I don't like to stack on the first floor unless I'm really ahead because a lot of enemy compositions can be dealt with much easier by giving yourself a round to prepare.

It was a little awkward before getting the space upgrade (should have done that immediately after Daedalus!), for a couple fights I would just throw the shark on the first floor and leave him to weaken the enemy lines.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

dyzzy posted:

monstertrain://runresult/bb32182a-7e2d-4bef-9f3b-fd098598f38c

I did a full run on this with a different take, I would normally pick icicle but wanted to start the run like you did.

Going for a cute wombo combo deck almost cost me the run to crystalcloak, I had a decent core roster of units but didn't have enough upgrades or spellpower to finish her off before she took a big chunk out of the pyre. A start like this where you are given offering cards doesn't necessarily mean you should try to make discard cards a thing-- you might not see enough synergy cards in the draft. Fortunately this run had one 0 cost cycle card and a siren's call which made it work.

After Fel, I knew I had to find good unit upgrades so I slam picked the route with a unit shop- lo and behold, multistrike for the siren and +hp for the shark. And a conduit upgrade for Tethys meant that I could spam my entire hand every turn! The cherry on top was a double incant relic right before Seraph which made me happy enough to just float the remaining 565 gold and start the fight.

How it ended:

Fight strategy: early on, put as much meat in front of Tethys as possible and use the spell weakness to clean up any units that make it to the 3rd floor. After finding sirens and the shark and the lodestone, I made the middle floor the focus and would place an extra siren on top so that they could be descended into the back of the line later on. I don't like to stack on the first floor unless I'm really ahead because a lot of enemy compositions can be dealt with much easier by giving yourself a round to prepare.

It was a little awkward before getting the space upgrade (should have done that immediately after Daedalus!), for a couple fights I would just throw the shark on the first floor and leave him to weaken the enemy lines.

Nice! One thing I like about this game is that there is no single approach to winning a run. Yes, we used similar tools in that the incant siren was the backbone of boss damage, but that's because it was one of the first units offered and synergizes really well with awoken.

And in the end, you have to go with what you get during the run; you don't always have the luxury of getting certain upgrades. Ideally you get a series of cards where you can use any of the major upgrades instead of holding out for a single type of upgrade. In my run I certainly wasn't expecting to pick up a large spikes vinemother, but it was the best option for a second meatshield to hide tethys behind, and synergized with the cards that I already had.

It's also cool because each of the clans plays so differently. Hellhorned/awoken is extremely different, as you now have imps, armor, ascending units, and much higher damage units that don't need to be scaled up with incant (but might need to scale up with slay instead). At the same time, your spells aren't as flexible, you don't have access to a second set of sweeping units, and you don't have access to debuffs like sap or frostbite.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

After seeing all the Siren love in this thread, I rode them and a couple of totems (sap and frostbite) to a covenant 16 win. Feels good.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I can't seem to get a satisfying Awoken/Umbra run. I guess I'll stay away from that combo for a long while.
The lack of targeted damage hurts a lot.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Won a cov25 controlled chaos (start with a ton of random cards, duplicate at merchants) thanks to thicc sludge and a lot of doublestack stealth cards:

monstertrain://runresult/4150d94a-5af6-4272-b1d1-f985bb4da29b

The consume/harvest combo may be gone, so I would throw the morsel generator in front and let the morsels get killed by enemies instead. Big brain plays

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The "Demons get multistrike 1" artifact is ridiculous

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

The "Demons get multistrike 1" artifact is ridiculous

It's weird that they nerfed Onehorn's Tome given how ridiculously uncomplicated every other source of multistrike is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Uhhh largestone legion of wax is hilarious

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Clowns on bosses like no other but seriously lacks in DPT on later encounters.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Largestone Legion open-palm-slammed into the "make it one slot" event is the most broken run I've ever had. Only way to make it better would be to throw Endless on it instead of reforming, but even that's debatable because of how fast burnout would get it back to you anyway.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The most satisfying thing for me was... Largest one on legion... Add multistrike. Get the shrink event, then duplicate 5+2 times and use the card that triggers extinguish and the artifact that does 2x extinguish. That run was autopilot.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m really enjoying the combo of the permagorger on level 3, something to stop it from getting hit (either daze on entry relic or quick upgrade with multi strike), and spending the whole fight feeding it with morsels and damage shields

It is a bit needy for how many parts you need to get running though. The lifesteal gorge is probably a safer bet as long as you can feed it 2+ morsels a turn so it has a stack built up by the boss.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 24, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MiddleOne posted:

Clowns on bosses like no other but seriously lacks in DPT on later encounters.

I was going hornt/melting and managed to get three of them in my deck along with a damage upgrade so between the champ and a second floor clown car and a legion on every level and leaning on the pyre i was able to just squeeze our surviving to the boss

I had a bunch of dripfalls too so i was able to pull back a few heavy hitters that got through

It was a very satisfying win

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I gave subsuming blade holdover, and there's a chance it might not suck now.

EDIT: OK it ended up excellent at murdering adds, couldn't kill Seraph with it though. Also I duplicated it.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 24, 2020

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I tried to get shadowsiege to work. Early on, I got that relic that lets you carry over energy between turns, so I thought I could make it work. I also had a bunch of other energy generation, so as long as I didn't draw it first turn, I would be able to play it. Of course, I always drew it first turn anyway, so it always ended up in the discard pile and I wouldn't see it again for forever.

Edit: I just read the last few pages about draw priority. My deck had only 2 banner units for most of the run, so that's probably why I always drew it first turn.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

The silliest I've gotten the Hellhorned champion. Had a holdover Perils of Production and 2 doublestack/consume removed umbra multistrike buffs.